• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Do and Don't of Room Service

Rice Krispies brand has malt in the cereal which contains gluten. Some places, like Starbucks, use a brand without malt and are GF. I didn't know Disney even had these so I'll have to check it out. I'm assuming they'll not be GF though.

Speaking of Gluten Free does room service make any accommodations/ or at least let you know what on the menu may be safe? I just booked our 3rd cruise but have never used room service, somewhat due to this. The dining rooms are so good with allergies they make me feel normal having a gluten allergy. Another reason I love Disney!
They do mark the menu, but the offerings were pretty lame. Like - a salad... so DH didn't attempt it as a result. It wasn't anything substantial enough for a real meal for him, certainly not worth trying to discuss food prep over the phone. The MDRs and Cabanas just had much, much more to offer. If it was in-between Cabanas and dinner, he just got burgers etc on the pool deck when he was hungry. I don't remember any breakfast options being possible, but it's pretty carb-heavy, in any case - and he prefers protein for the bulk of his breakfast. Maybe someone else will chime in who ordered gf baked goods or something, but the availability of those seems random, depending on the ship and where it is.

They do mark the menu, but the offerings were pretty lame. Like - a salad... so DH didn't attempt it as a result. It wasn't anything substantial enough for a real meal for him, certainly not worth trying to discuss food prep over the phone. The MDRs and Cabanas just had much, much more to offer. If it was in-between Cabanas and dinner, he just got burgers etc on the pool deck when he was hungry. I don't remember any breakfast options being possible, but it's pretty carb-heavy, in any case - and he prefers protein for the bulk of his breakfast. Maybe someone else will chime in who ordered gf baked goods or something, but the availability of those seems random, depending on the ship and where it is.

ETA: These were in the MDR, Cabanas, and/or on the pool deck. I don't do room service (didn't even before going gluten-free) except the occasional Mickey bar.

On the Magic in Feb breakfast items I got I got gluten-free: Mickey waffles, gluten-free pancakes, gluten-free donuts, and they had gluten-free bread at dinner, so I imagine if I'd wanted it at breakfast or lunch they would have had something.

Other things they had - chicken fingers, fries...and made-to-order gluten-free pizza on the pool deck.

I will say that ships will stock gluten-free items primarily by the numbers who have notified them they need to eat gluten-free with a little extra. But if there are a lot more people eating gluten-free than have notified the cruise line, there is a chance that they will run out of something. So please do yourself a favor and make the call to have it noted on your reservation. Ditto any other food allergy. It also alerts your service team so they are aware (though it never hurts to remind them).

We love room service -- but only on a 7-night or longer cruise as I hate to miss the MDR on Disney. Now on other cruise lines, we have rarely gone to the MDR for dinners -- so it's room service or the buffet.

At least one night on our cruise, we order room service (at least two cheese platters and such) and stay in room and watch movies. It's one of our favorite ways to unwind at the end of a port day. Room service breakfast on an early excursion day is the way to go -- delivered to room on time and allows you more time to get ready and just heard out and meet your excursion group.

[If I had one thing I wish DCL would do -- is join the other cruise lines that actually offer hot breakfast choices like eggs, waffles, pancakes and omelets!]

I love getting chicken wings and a Caesar salad. As soon as I call, I go get 2 cokes. I tend to tip 2.50 per item delivered.

While acceptable, please do not put or leave trays in the hallways. It really does create a problem for folks who have mobility issues and who are trying to maneuver down the narrow hallways. It also creates a problem for the stateroom hosts who are trying to get their heavy carts down the halls. It should not be difficult to leave a tray in the stateroom and give a call to room service to pick it up. Or just leave it there without the call. Your stateroom host will make it disappear when he/she is in the room. Disney magic.
Another issue with leaving the food trays in the halls is that it can attract rodents. There is this giant mouse on board that struts around like he owns the place!

I love getting chicken wings and a Caesar salad. As soon as I call, I go get 2 cokes. I tend to tip 2.50 per item delivered.

I do love the fact we don't have to pay for sodas! And if you are aft, it's an easy run upstairs to grab them while your food is being made.

When I go with my DD, DS-I-L and GD, she stays at the clubs until they close at night. Dad goes to get her and Mom orders BLTs every night. We also order hot chocolate and tea along with fruit at breakfast.

Every cruise I keep saying we are going to order room service and it has not happened yet. :)
I open the book, look at the menu and consider the options, and then I just cannot justify it. We stay on Deck 10 all the way forward (under the Rainforest on starboard side) so it is a quick walk up the stairs to Deck 11 for drinks and snacks. I am not a fan of the cheese tray (it just isn't appealing to me by the photos I have seen...I know...crazy to some of you all.) lol

Maybe in September I will finally give it a whirl and see what it is about.

MMMMM, warm cookies and Milk before bed. We've had the "Buffalo" wings.... living in Buffalo I would say they are not the worst I've had but they try. Give room service a try. It is absolutely a highlight to the end of an awesome day.

I do love the fact we don't have to pay for sodas! And if you are aft, it's an easy run upstairs to grab them while your food is being made.
This is why we always book near the aft elevators. On our upcoming October cruise, we are booked next to the aft elevators one deck below the beverage station! Cannot wait!!! :cool1::cheer2::banana:

Every cruise I keep saying we are going to order room service and it has not happened yet. :)
I open the book, look at the menu and consider the options, and then I just cannot justify it. We stay on Deck 10 all the way forward (under the Rainforest on starboard side) so it is a quick walk up the stairs to Deck 11 for drinks and snacks. I am not a fan of the cheese tray (it just isn't appealing to me by the photos I have seen...I know...crazy to some of you all.) lol

Maybe in September I will finally give it a whirl and see what it is about.

Deck 10 doesn't have the steak sandwich and grilled Salmon salad. I prefer hot food and healthier grilled meat (not burgers or fried chicken). You should try it at least once.

The Caesar salad was good, all hands on deck and the key lime pie was pretty good too!!

The all hands on deck is our favorite to get to hold us over until late dinner -- nice to have while you're getting ready for the show with a glass of wine ;)

The all hands on deck is our favorite to get to hold us over until late dinner -- nice to have while you're getting ready for the show with a glass of wine ;)
Yep, our last cruise we went on with a family that wanted to try late dinner, so we were always hungry around 5-6- we did that to "tide" us over. Of course- it made me just eat more. hahaha
Next one we booked, we are back to early again.

I think one time we wanted to take a nap so we ordered room service to be there about the time we wanted to get up. Mac-n-cheese and cookies. Such childish food but sooooo delicious :duck:

For Gold & Platinum Castaway Club members, there's a reception, usually with several officers (including the Captain) and at least one character for photo ops. They usually serve finger food appetizer stuff, and often will show a video showing where DCL is headed in the future (yeah, it's commercial). Then at the end, as you exit, you get rice krispy mickey heads.

I believe they are cutting back on those, at least for cruises of 7 nites or fewer.
"Gold and Platinum Castaway Club Onboard Reception
Enjoy a private reception on 8-night and longer voyages where Gold and Platinum Castaway Club members will experience special entertainment."

I believe they are cutting back on those, at least for cruises of 7 nites or fewer.
"Gold and Platinum Castaway Club Onboard Reception
Enjoy a private reception on 8-night and longer voyages where Gold and Platinum Castaway Club members will experience special entertainment."
That post was written in March. The Castaway Club benefits program changed May 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter