• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Future of Fingerprint-Biometric Scanners at the Disney Parks

Do you think Fingerprint-Biometric Scanners will be used?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No they will have tablets with your picture. They already do this for some folks who have issues with fingerprints and children. That's my guess anyway.

That is me....finger scan goes through the first time but after that it doesn't. I warn them but they still insist on 3 tries. It's annoying because it takes time and they have to call over the CM with the tablet.

This is my expectation. Even before this whole COVID I've already seen mandatory hand sanitizing when using fingerprint scanners at the border (like when I registered for NEXUS). It's also cheap to implement, so I expect this is the approach they'll take.

I really doubt it. Specifically, mandatory hand sanitizing is not going to fly because there are a lot of people who can't use alcohol based sanitizers due to skin issues. I can't see Disney deciding to do that because it would have a negative impact on people with varying skin conditions and medical issues. DCL addressed the problem by adding hand washing stations by restaurants; maybe the parks would do the same?

Sometime in the 90's when you got a paper ticket the size of a bookmark they took your picture and printed it on the bottom of your ticket. I think they used a date stamper to count the dates you had used. Also you had to have your hand stamped if you left a park and wanted to re enter later in the day. I'm sure they'll come up with a new safe way to identify you by the time they are ready to reopen. Some team is probably working on it right now.

I really doubt it. Specifically, mandatory hand sanitizing is not going to fly because there are a lot of people who can't use alcohol based sanitizers due to skin issues. I can't see Disney deciding to do that because it would have a negative impact on people with varying skin conditions and medical issues. DCL addressed the problem by adding hand washing stations by restaurants; maybe the parks would do the same?
Hand washing stations were put around the parks before they closed, they will most likely be coming back. Whomever can't use hand sanitizer can wash their hands

I am curious to see which way Disney is going to go with this, but whatever it is, we will do it. Some things in life I can control, some I can't. Not going to lose sleep over things I can't control. 70 days til our yearly trip begins, counting the days!

I have no issue with finger scanners. I just sanitize or wash my hands before I touch my personal belongings. All the parks have a bathroom near the entrance. It's really not a big deal. Besides, as long as you don't touch your stuff (especially your phone!) or your face, what is the point in cleaning your hand the second you get into the park if you are headed to an attraction where you are touching another surface anyways? Just clean up before you touch your stuff or face. Children should probably be made to wash their hands as they are more likely to touch their face. The real issue is bag check, for obvious reasons. They need to switch to x-ray machines.

Six Flags doesn't compare well to WDW - they are much smaller, for instance. Can you imagine how long it would take if they had to check a photo of each person, nevermind having to get one taken.

SDL does photos of everyone as they enter the park. And the CM at the turnstile needs to verify ID as well. (At least tourists have to present passports, no idea what the residents show). They then take it one step further, and compare that photo everytime you go to use a FP.

The system is as much psychological as it is practical. If people think that Disney is checking, it cuts down on people trying to cheat the system.

Any new system that gives the illusion they are checking would work.

My local Six Flags eliminated biometric scans last year. They just took your picture with an iPhone/iPad and when they scanned your pass your picture showed up. I suspect that Disney could do something similar. It’s just more sanitary that way.
Ours Six Flags did too! I was happy about that. Having thousands of people touch fingers scanners one after another is not going to work anymore :sad2:

That is me....finger scan goes through the first time but after that it doesn't. I warn them but they still insist on 3 tries. It's annoying because it takes time and they have to call over the CM with the tablet.
This happened to me a few days into my 11 day trip last summer. It was unbelievably irritating! Didn’t happen to me in 2018 or my other previous trips with magic bands.

Ours Six Flags did too! I was happy about that. Having thousands of people touch fingers scanners one after another is not going to work anymore :sad2:

So, how do you deal with all the other stuff you have to touch, that other people have touched, over and over again?

I travel with someone who doesn't have a readable fingerprint and she has the same issue except hers never works.

I travel with someone who doesn't have a readable fingerprint and she has the same issue except hers never works.
This is me. Every time. And I’ll say to the the CM, “you’re going to have to call the manager with the camera over.” Every time, they have me try multiple times. They ask if it’s the right finger, if there’s sunblock on there, etc. “My fingerprints just don’t scan. I’ve had to have the CM with the picture come over every time. I’ve done it at least 509 times.” Still try 2-5 times before they flag someone down.
I always feel bad for whoever is behind me.

This is me. Every time. And I’ll say to the the CM, “you’re going to have to call the manager with the camera over.” Every time, they have me try multiple times. They ask if it’s the right finger, if there’s sunblock on there, etc. “My fingerprints just don’t scan. I’ve had to have the CM with the picture come over every time. I’ve done it at least 509 times.” Still try 2-5 times before they flag someone down.
I always feel bad for whoever is behind me.
I feel like sometimes...just sometimes CMs need to trust that every once in awhile a guest may actually know what they are talking about. Hopefully, they get rid of finger scanners all together and bam we won't have this problem any longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter