The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

What time did MMRR sell out? Wondering if the following could work:

7 am ROTR (am) and SDD (pm)
10:30 am TOT for evening
12:30 pm MMRR for evening
2:30 pm grab whatever left (AlienSS or Star Tours)

AM -no rope drop: Watch shows (Indiana Jones/Frozen) and meet/greet inbetween ROTR (hopefully standby star tours).

Come back in the evening for MMRR, SDD, Alien SS and TOT (likely to be 8 pm+) and standby RnRC;

caution: check times for dining locations; abc commissary closes at 8 (Columbia harbor house@mk closes early as well)

AM -no rope drop: Watch shows (Indiana Jones/Frozen) and meet/greet inbetween ROTR (hopefully standby star tours).

Come back in the evening for MMRR, SDD, Alien SS and TOT (likely to be 8 pm+) and standby RnRC;

caution: check times for dining locations; abc commissary closes at 8 (Columbia harbor house@mk closes early as well)

It'll depend on the day. You may have to skip either Slinky or TOT. Yesterday and today TOT was gone at 10:30, though yesterday I saw it pop back up. MMRR might be there at 12:30 or it might not.

We actually had very good success stacking Genie for HS yesterday 3/12. We drove from TN and arrived at HS at 545. We did the following LL…

MMRR (540-640)…booked at 1115 am, had to keep waiting for a time late enough since we were driving so could not book when our window opened at 1030. Posted wait 70, waited 10
Slinky (610-710)…booked about 30 seconds after 7 am. Posted wait 80, waited 5
TSMM (630-730)…booked as our 3rd LL at 130. Posted 35…waited about 10
Saucers (710-810)…booked at 4 (again had to wait a bit to get a later time, was eligible at 330), posted 30 and waited about 5
MFSR (820-900)…found this one at 730 by refreshing for about 10 min while waiting for Woodys Linchbox mobile order.
Did MMRR at 855 with an actual 10 min wait (posted 25).

So 5 genie rides and one standby in 3 1/2 hrs.

It'll depend on the day. You may have to skip either Slinky or TOT. Yesterday and today TOT was gone at 10:30, though yesterday I saw it pop back up. MMRR might be there at 12:30 or it might not.

Just to clarify it was actually 10:40 a.m. today when I checked and TOT was gone.

I think you have to decide if certain rides are more important to you than others. I would like to book Slinky, then MFSR, then MMRR when we go, but I don't think I can count on MFSR at 10:30 or MMRR at 12:30. They might be there or they might not.

So at 7 am, ROTR sells out quick? In Nov we used a watch to count down and got ROTR at 9 am. We would be ok with anytime before noon.If it’s pushing into after 12pm within seconds (have had multiple IT issues) then that messes up mid day breaks.

PS: ROTR (takes double the time to ride with LLIA$ AND rider switch; usually around an 1.5). With LLIA$ we just go up to the CM with an iPad and get a rider switch.

We never did standby at ROTR. How is rider switch working there with standby (when is it issued-before entering standby/after?; Is it active immediately and valid to end of day?).

The Rider Switch rule changes:

1. only one person is allowed back with the waiting adult
2. everyone stands in the overflow queue (including infants in strollers) together until you’re near the ride sign-hopefully this is flexible and CMs allow exiting and joining back

Last edited:
We actually had very good success stacking Genie for HS yesterday 3/12. We drove from TN and arrived at HS at 545. We did the following LL…

MMRR (540-640)…booked at 1115 am, had to keep waiting for a time late enough since we were driving so could not book when our window opened at 1030. Posted wait 70, waited 10
Slinky (610-710)…booked about 30 seconds after 7 am. Posted wait 80, waited 5
TSMM (630-730)…booked as our 3rd LL at 130. Posted 35…waited about 10
Saucers (710-810)…booked at 4 (again had to wait a bit to get a later time, was eligible at 330), posted 30 and waited about 5
MFSR (820-900)…found this one at 730 by refreshing for about 10 min while waiting for Woodys Linchbox mobile order.
Did MMRR at 855 with an actual 10 min wait (posted 25).

So 5 genie rides and one standby in 3 1/2 hrs.
What party size were you booking for?

Is a touring plan now obsolete with genie +, has anyone combined to the two? I'd love to use genie plus, but I also love being able to plan out my day somewhat, I have little kids so I'd like to avoid running from one end of the park to another as much as possible.
Also, I am not sure I understand this correctly. I am not allowed to upgrade to genie plus until after midnight the night before (technically that day) of my park reservation? And then I have to wake up at 7 to make my first reservation? And I can buy a LL that morning at 7am too? The only LL I will buy is for our MK day for seven mines, do I book that before my first genie plus selection or will the genie plus selections sell out first? I am thinking Jungle cruise for my first genie plus that day, then splash, winnie the pooh, pirates of the caribbean, haunted mansion, buzz lightyear, magic carpets of aladdin,
This all seems to confusing... Thanks all!

So an update on my earlier strategy. We rope dropped FOP today, and with daylight savings and the weather, it was pretty quick. They let us in starting at 7:00. At this time I mad a LL reservation for KS for 8:40. After FOP we walked over to Navi and it was basically a walk on (10 minutes). We then went for coffee and headed to KS. At 8:40, after tapping in, we booked a LL for MFSR at 5:00 pm. finished the safari then walked to Dinosaur, walk on. After Dinosaur, Kids did triceratops, then headed for Rafiki train station. Went to the petting zoo, then booked MMRR for 5:30. Headed to Its tough to be a bug, walk on. Finished that, mobile ordered at flame tree, then back on the train. went for lunch, watched the Kite Show, then booked a LL for TSM at 7:45, then left the park at 12:45 ish. After that we walked the Boardwalk, back to our hotel (Dolphin), booked a LL for Star Tours at 6:30 (only LL left that wasn’t a show.). Chilling now at the hotel until we go to HS studios at 5:00.

Some observations after reading the boards and worrying about Spring Break week.

1. Rope drop a must if you want to tackle a lot. You can get a lot done with little stress at AK.
2. Magic is still here, even if you notice the cost cutting and money grabbing. Don’t listen to all the negativity, just remember it isn’t like before, but still fun.
3. Flame tree portions smaller than before, and that was disappointing,but Resort hotels food still pretty big portions.
4. all the good LL’s gone by 2 at HS.
5. Chicken Guy at Disney Springs is delicious and great bang for your buck.
6. I do hate having to look at your phone every 2 hours, but it is what it is.
7. Smile and talk to the CM’s! They are working hard and there is still some Pixie dust out there!

I hope this helps, and enjoy your vacations!!

Last edited:
Is a touring plan now obsolete with genie +, has anyone combined to the two? I'd love to use genie plus, but I also love being able to plan out my day somewhat, I have little kids so I'd like to avoid running from one end of the park to another as much as possible.
No, not yet. That will prove super difficult for them to incorporate G+ because you do not even know what or when you will get LL rides until 7AM.

I just re-subscribed to TP mostly because I think their predicted wait times are more realistic than Disney's.

Also, I am not sure I understand this correctly. I am not allowed to upgrade to genie plus until after midnight the night before (technically that day) of my park reservation? And then I have to wake up at 7 to make my first reservation?
Yes G+ upgrade after midnight.

Also can do that that morning so you do not have to stay up until midnight to upgrade then 7AM to select.

And I can buy a LL that morning at 7am too? The only LL I will buy is for our MK day for seven mines, do I book that before my first genie plus selection or will the genie plus selections sell out first? I am thinking Jungle cruise for my first genie plus that day, then splash, winnie the pooh, pirates of the caribbean, haunted mansion, buzz lightyear, magic carpets of aladdin,
Yes, you can make your first G+LL at 7AM and buy a paid ILL at 7AM. Which order you do it is up to you. Depending on what your G+ selection is you may want to that first, or wait and do it second. For JC it sounds like that is the #1 LL at MK (go figure!!!) so if it were me I would do that first and then SDMT after.

Not sure if you will get all those G+ LLs in one day. Depends on how crowded it is and park hours.

:wizard:

I did something similar to this on Friday, though I rope dropped MK instead of HS. HS had a crowd level of 8 that day according to Touring Plans.

7:00 am: I Booked LL for Splash at 9:05 am. You would be trying for SDD whenever you could get it.

7:15-7:20 am-ish: Purchased a 7:55 pm ILL for Rise when availability opened back up after the initial 7:00 am sellout.
Also purchased ILL for 7DMT for 11:20 am.

After 9:30 am: Used my first LL at MK. Splash was down, so used it for Pirates so I could book another right away. By that point MK was a dumpster fire of crowds, down attractions, long standby waits and late return times for open attractions, so I started stacking for evening at HS. Picked up ToT for 6:40 (I think) but I had to wait a bit for the return times to hit that point. At MK I just enjoyed minor attractions with low standby waits because so many major attractions were down, had a Dole Whip and watched a cavalcade, then did my 11:20 7DMT ILL.

After 11:30 am: Picked up MMRR for 7:40 pm. Again I had to wait for a return time as late as I wanted. Left MK after the first parade. Lunched at the Poly and hung out on the beach a bit.

After 2:30: Checked HS for return times and still saw lots of options including TSMM and RnRC, but I wanted to ride SE at Epcot so I picked up that one instead. Monorailed to Epcot and rode SE, then enjoyed walking through WS and catching some live entertainment. 5:00 pm: Walked over to the Dolphin, checked in, retrieved my luggage and put it in the room and rested a bit. 6:20 pm: Walked to HS.

6:40 pm at HS: LLs were still available for Swirling Saucers and Star Tours IIRC, but not TSMM, RnRC, or ToT.

So starting around 6:45, I rode ToT via LL (short wait, only waited one cycle before the library), and then headed to Baseline for a beer and pretzel and people watching. Headed back to MMRR and rode that via LL, then it was time for Rise. Again a very short wait, basically walked right into the holding room before the first pre show. By the time Rise was over, GE was looking awesome with low crowds, lower temps, and tons of ambience so I hung out there a bit just soaking it in before heading to Toy Story Land. Could very easily have taken in another minor ride or two like Swirling Saucers, then hopped online for TSMM before close, but I was tired so I just strolled through and enjoyed seeing everything lit up at night. The Animation projection show was going on when I headed back down Hollywood Boulevard. Watched some of that on the way out.

Sorry that was long-winded. Just trying to say that Yes, it is entirely possible to do what you are describing at HS even on a busy day! Just watch LL return times and book accordingly, and fill in earlier in the day with lower wait attractions, live entertainment, snack breaks and dining. Have fun!

edited - typos and to add info on 7DMT which I forgot about earlier.

Last edited:
Also, I am not sure I understand this correctly. I am not allowed to upgrade to genie plus until after midnight the night before (technically that day) of my park reservation? And then I have to wake up at 7 to make my first reservation? And I can buy a LL that morning at 7am too? The only LL I will buy is for our MK day for seven mines, do I book that before my first genie plus selection or will the genie plus selections sell out first? I am thinking Jungle cruise for my first genie plus that day, then splash, winnie the pooh, pirates of the caribbean, haunted mansion, buzz lightyear, magic carpets of aladdin,

I noticed that TP now has an option on the personalized plans to enter an estimated G+ time. So if you have an idea of when you think you will get a return time, you can generate a plan with that incorporated. Click on the yellow box that says "advanced options" to add the attractions you think you will use G+ for.

After 9:30 am: Used my first LL at MK. Splash was down, so used it for Pirates so I could book another right away.

I believe you actually could have booked another lightning lane once Splash turned into a multi-experience LL. From my limited experience it seems like it treats the original lightning lane booking like it never happened.

Sounds like a great day with a whole lot of walking. :)

If through the process of booking a Genie+ ride the time changes and you end up booking one that doesn't work for you, can you cancel and re-book immediately? I feel like for a time there were reports of people who had their 2 hour clock reset when cancelling.....

I believe you actually could have booked another lightning lane once Splash turned into a multi-experience LL. From my limited experience it seems like it treats the original lightning lane booking like it never happened.

Sounds like a great day with a whole lot of walking. :)

Thank you! I did notice that afterward when reading the fine print, but didn’t know it at the time. Things worked out fine for me that morning anyway, but it great to know for the future. :)

My experience for 3/14 - purchased G+ just after 12am, with park passes for DHS. 7am tried for SDD but wonky wifi switched park to EPCOT in the app when i tried to refresh and in the minute or two it took to get back to HS SDD was gone. Had daughter simultaneously trying to get ILL for Rise. That sold out in under a minute as well. Settled for 3:35 MMRR. 10:30am RRC for 4:55. $90 plus tax for my family of six and this is what we get? Do better Disney, do better.

My experience for 3/14 - purchased G+ just after 12am, with park passes for DHS. 7am tried for SDD but wonky wifi switched park to EPCOT in the app when i tried to refresh and in the minute or two it took to get back to HS SDD was gone. Had daughter simultaneously trying to get ILL for Rise. That sold out in under a minute as well. Settled for 3:35 MMRR. 10:30am RRC for 4:55. $90 plus tax for my family of six and this is what we get? Do better Disney, do better.
If you plan on using G+ again during your stay, do not despair if you don't get exactly what you want right at 7:00 am. There are many reports and data that show that there are more G+ availability that pop up again at 7:10 and 7:20.

Hi.

Although I am DVC, I also own a TS in Orlando, which we will be staying at next month.

Is there a separate thread for Off-Site Guests and ILLs? We are also purchasing G+. We are only going to MK, the Tuesday after Easter, during our trip and know it will be packed.

I want to purchase 7DMT for three people at 9 am (or whatever time MK opens that day). Is this impossible?
We are three adult women and going while the guys golf that day so we really don't want a return time after 1-2 pm since we will be leaving the park about that time.

Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter