The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Once you tap into a ride, the fact that it's 11am becomes irrelevant. If you are stacking for the evening, you can book every 2hrs and hold multiple reservations. You're not tapping into any rides, so the 120 minute rule is constantly in play.

In your example of tap/ride/tap/ride, the 120 minute rule doesn't even come into play at all. You would simply book your next ride after tapping into a ride. The 11am time frame only comes into play if you have NOT tapped into a ride before that time.

Does that make sense?

Once you tap into a ride, the fact that it's 11am becomes irrelevant. If you are stacking for the evening, you can book every 2hrs and hold multiple reservations. You're not tapping into any rides, so the 120 minute rule is constantly in play.

In your example of tap/ride/tap/ride, the 120 minute rule doesn't even come into play at all. You would simply book your next ride after tapping into a ride. The 11am time frame only comes into play if you have NOT tapped into a ride before that time.

Does that make sense?
Yes! But I’ve very disappointed lol! Tks!

Am I understanding this correctly? If flipflopmom taps into Dino at 7:40 and makes her 1st HS LL she could either fiddle faddle for SDD or get a late return time for ToT based on latest thrill data. Then, she would start her 2 hour cool down and be able to make her 2nd HS LL at 9:40 when everyone who made their 1st HS LL at 7:00 would need to wait until 10:30 to make their 2nd, thus giving her an advantage on the remaining LLs. Trying to figure this all out is so difficult!

Yes, that's correct.

But it means that she books her first DHS LL before others can make their second DHS LL. The others booked their first DHS LL before she could. So others have an advantage in the number of LLs they may be able to book at DHS.

It all depends on what LLs she wants. As others said, Slinky Dog may be gone by 7:40.

I am going to Disney in a couple of weeks, and this will be our first time using Genie+. I am so confused. We are staying offsite so I know we will not have a chance in hell of $ILL.

But we use Genie+. I think I read to set up the day or tip board prior to visiting the park for the day. But I am unsure. If someone could direct me to some posts to read so I can figure this out, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
I am going to Disney in a couple of weeks, and this will be our first time using Genie+. I am so confused. We are staying offsite so I know we will not have a chance in hell of ILL$.

But we use Genie+. I think I read to set up the day or tip board prior to visiting the park for the day. But I am unsure. If someone could direct me to some posts to read so I can figure this out, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

What I did prior to the trip was to study the Tip Board data to get an idea of how long LLs last for the attractions in which we were interested, and then figure out which LL we would try to book 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each park.

The data at thrill-data.com is even better, because you can see the historical data for whatever attractions you want to check out.

Then on each park day, we did two things prior to 7am: (1) paid for G+, (2) pinned to the top of the Tip Board, the attraction we would be trying to get first LL for (also pinned the ILL$ attraction we wanted).

There are a couple of ways that you can do the pinning, but one is to use the free G link to select your Favorite(s), and select only the one Favorite that you want your first LL for. Then after booking first LL, remove that Favorite and then pin the one that you will want the second LL for, etc.

You can practice how to pin to the Tip Board ahead of the trip. Familiarizing yourself with the Tip Board and My Day tabs before the trip will be very helpful.

I am going to Disney in a couple of weeks, and this will be our first time using Genie+. I am so confused. We are staying offsite so I know we will not have a chance in hell of ILL$.

We visited two weeks ago, stayed on-site and did not book any $ILL attractions.

Just wait until the end of the evening when the lines are the shortest of the day.

Agree. We did this a lot too. Also, Be sure to ignore the posted wait times at end of day as they will be highly inflated.

Scrappy makes a good point. Here are just a few recent examples:

Rise (night 1) - Posted 40, Actual 10
Rise (night 2) - Posted 85, Actual 15
Tower - Posted 80, Actual 10
7D - Posted 40, Actual 15

I could go on and on but you get the point. And yes, this process is intentional and has been in place for many years.

Scrappy makes a good point. Here are just a few recent examples:

Rise (night 1) - Posted 40, Actual 10
Rise (night 2) - Posted 85, Actual 15
Tower - Posted 80, Actual 10
7D - Posted 40, Actual 15

I could go on and on but you get the point. And yes, this process is intentional and has been in place for many years.

So true! I remember being at an EMH at MK one year (I think it was 2016) and we felt like we were the only ones in the Tomorrowland area. We could literally stand there and count the other guests in the area on one hand. We decided to go ride Space Mountain. It had a posted wait of 45 minutes....at 1:05 am with a 2:00 a.m. closing time. I said there was no way it was a 45 minute wait. We walked past the CM at the entrance who was very loudly announcing to the 4 of us that the wait time was accurate and that if we got in line, it would be our last ride of the night because the rides would be closed by the time we got off. The kids started to panic. I told them to keep walking -- that if there really was a bunch of people up ahead, we could turn around and walk out. We literally walked on the ride. So we were on and off the ride in less than 15 minutes and there was zero wait time. And we still got on 7DMT and Winnie the Pooh before the park closed.

Last edited:
So true! I remember being at an EMH at MK one year (I think it was 2016) and we felt like we were the only ones in the Tomorrowland area. We could literally stand there and count the other guests in the area on one hand. We decided to go ride Space Mountain. It had a posted wait of 45 minutes....at 1:05 am with a 2:00 a.m. closing time. I said there was no way it was a 45 minute wait. We walked past the CM at the entrance who was very loudly announcing to the 4 of us that the wait time was accurate and that if we got in line, it would be our last ride of the night because the rides would be closed by the time we got off. The kids started to panic. I told them to keep walking -- that if there really was a bunch of people up ahead, we could turn around and walk out. We literally walked on the ride. So we were off and on the ride in less than 15 minutes and there was zero wait time. And we still got on 7DMT and Winnie the Pooh before the park closed.

This is a time honored tradition for our family also. Although I am sad to see groups turn away when they see the inflated wait times.

This trip, we hit Rise an hour and 20 minutes before park close. The posted wait was 85 minutes with the actual wait of 15. We immediately rode again with the same 85 minute posted wait, but with an actual wait of less than 5.

We could have rode a third time (posted wait had dropped to 40) but opted for Tower instead. We strolled across the park, watched a little of the animation pre-show on the theater then hit Tower before closing time. The posted wait was 80 with an actual wait of about 10 minutes.

That’s how you close a park, and is much more than you could do in a morning no matter how early you arrive.

Going on Monday and I’m starting to think I may not have the best strategy. Party of 3 and park hopping. We plan on stacking for park 2 but I’ve geared refreshing is better. Should we stick with the plan of stacking or try refreshing throughout the day? Anyone recently been successful refreshing and park hopping?

Going on Monday and I’m starting to think I may not have the best strategy. Party of 3 and park hopping. We plan on stacking for park 2 but I’ve geared refreshing is better. Should we stick with the plan of stacking or try refreshing throughout the day? Anyone recently been successful refreshing and park hopping?
Unless someone was there today unfortunately their experiences may not be beneficial to you. There were changes made to Genie+ today (Jun 8, 2022) and people are trying to find out what May/May not be happening now.

There is rumour that the stacking option has been stopped in that a person can hold a max of 2 LL at a time but I have not received confirmation of that.

Unless someone was there today unfortunately their experiences may not be beneficial to you. There were changes made to Genie+ today (Jun 8, 2022) and people are trying to find out what May/May not be happening now.

There is rumour that the stacking option has been stopped in that a person can hold a max of 2 LL at a time but I have not received confirmation of that.
I’ve stacked 3-4 Genie+ passes on the day I check in. This is not a change for the better.

Maybe they’re getting ready to drop a premier pass on us starting Aug 8.

Definitely hasn't stopped yet, I have a friend there who was holding several LL for yesterday evening.
We are going at the beginning of August and I really hope this doesn't happen. :( Everyone rushed to buy length of stay Genie+ and now they're going to cut the benefits?

With only one sight is reporting it and no one mentioning this happening to them so far, I’m hoping beyond hope that it’s a wild rumor based on a statement heard by one CM…the fact that we haven’t see anyone else mention it on here or any other site is my one glimmer of hope that this is bad information.

If this change does indeed occur, we know these boards will get absolutely flooded with angry posts. So many people on here use the stacking strategy effectively. Fingers crossed it’s nothing. I’m at WDW next Friday. I don’t have time to figure out another G+ strategy!

As a family of 5 (2 young kids), stacking allows for mid day breaks so we don’t have to be in the parks to ride some of the favorites.

We covered Adventureland in the morning, took a lunch/resort break and stacked a few tier 2 and 3 rides for the evening along with a LLI$ for SDMT. We also had time for an ADR (Steakhouse71 and CRT). I don’t see how Disney would see cutting stacking as increasing revenue. If anything, we only stacked from 6 pm onwards, so didn’t use Genie+ 1-6 pm, leaving more availability for others to buy in.

In HS due to so much uncertainty and Genie+ jumping into the pm in the am, we cancelled our Topolino’s dinner, but there is so much demand that I don’t see us cancelling as Disney loosing any money.

As a family of 5 (2 young kids), stacking allows for mid day breaks so we don’t have to be in the parks to ride some of the favorites.

We covered Adventureland in the morning, took a lunch/resort break and stacked a few tier 2 and 3 rides for the evening along with a LLI$ for SDMT. We also had time for an ADR (Steakhouse71 and CRT). I don’t see how Disney would see cutting stacking as increasing revenue. If anything, we only stacked from 6 pm onwards, so didn’t use Genie+ 1-6 pm, leaving more availability for others to buy in.
I think its more that they are trying different things to make it work for now without raising prices.

I really hope this change doesn’t occur anytime soon. Going Monday and I’d be a mess if they pulled the rug without an official announcement, since it’s already 10, I’m assuming the effect hasn’t taken place today….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter