THE KEY - Review (Mariner of the Seas)

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

For your information... I booked The Key when it was still pretty cheap. I got to experience it this week-end on the Mariner of the Seas.

Here's a few informations and remarks about it:
  • Priority check-in and boarding on Day 1*.
We arrived to the port around 11:00 AM and everybody was boarding at the same time as us.
  • Carry-on bag drop off in the Main Dining Room with stateroom delivery**
It was nice not having to watch our luggage while having lunch.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room with a delicious menu featuring Chops Grille on embarkation day
The lunch was indeed fantastic... However, you are seated with other guests... Which is quite uncomfortable when you are shy like us or when you are seated with people who are very different from you.
  • Private hours at onboard activities*** including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.
Those happened either late at night or during port days, so you might miss it. We have been able to take advantage of the Sky Pad but that's it.
  • Priority departure at ports of call from ship-to-shore
Crew member seemed confused and just showed us where to get off the ship. LOL
  • Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main theater, Aqua Theater, Studio B, and Two70
We used it once, it was on the balcony. It was nice because there were no great seats left in the theater. Unfortunately, the seas were rough that night and we had to leave the show early because we were not feeling well.
  • VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet – 1 package per paying guest
We used it a lot, so that was nice.
  • On debarkation day, an exclusive a la carte breakfast and choice departure
Once again, you have to be seated with other guests... And when everybody (including some of the staff who are obviously not morning people -- FYI, I saw that on DCL as well-- can't blame them) is cranky because they had to get up early for express check-out, it's quite uncomfortable.

So... What we learned from The Key:

-We're too shy to enjoy being seated with strangers.
-We love Chop's Grille food! We plan to book it again.
-The Internet Package is very nice to have and works very well.
-Arrive early to the shows and you'll get good seats.
-People are cranky in the morning.

Our key experience on Allure was very good. We had the debarkation bkfst in a dining room, with only our group same for Chops lunch, which was in the restaurant , our table was ours alone (4) and was excellent. We did get priority embarkation... Jamaica
And another.
Got the gratis fruit bowl delivery first day. We strictly used all the Show priority seating and that worked very well for the group as well. Also liked getting our bags delivered in
Our stateroom for us and dropping off our carry ons was awesome!
Very positive experience overall.

Reading this review makes me wonder if it’s right for our foursome as well. We rescheduled our cruise for May 2020 after Dorian and we are having a hard time swallowing some of the prices in the cruise planner. We had the refreshment package for $18 pp per day which is now $28; a Chill Island cabana for $424 which is now $999 and the Key went from $19 to the “sale” price of $29 pp per day and now lunch is no longer in the specialty restaurant but the main dining room at shared tables.

We might do better to book the internet and lunch at Chops separately. We were planning to show up early for shows anyway — so cancelling the Key will save money and possibly some frustration.

Our key experience on Allure was very good. We had the debarkation bkfst in a dining room, with only our group same for Chops lunch, which was in the restaurant , our table was ours alone (4) and was excellent. We did get priority embarkation... Jamaica
And another.
Got the gratis fruit bowl delivery first day. We strictly used all the Show priority seating and that worked very well for the group as well. Also liked getting our bags delivered in
Our stateroom for us and dropping off our carry ons was awesome!
Very positive experience overall.

It could be different from ship to ship.

They recently announced that the embarkation lunch was moved to the mdr so we were expecting that, we just did not expect to be seated with strangers, especially with so many tables around us.

Now that you remind me of it, we did receive a fruit plate in the cabin. Nice gesture.

Reading this review makes me wonder if it’s right for our foursome as well. We rescheduled our cruise for May 2020 after Dorian and we are having a hard time swallowing some of the prices in the cruise planner. We had the refreshment package for $18 pp per day which is now $28; a Chill Island cabana for $424 which is now $999 and the Key went from $19 to the “sale” price of $29 pp per day and now lunch is no longer in the specialty restaurant but the main dining room at shared tables.

We might do better to book the internet and lunch at Chops separately. We were planning to show up early for shows anyway — so cancelling the Key will save money and possibly some frustration.

DH and I decided to book the internet package (my phone "broke" on the first day, made us realize we only need 1 phone to be linked to the internet as we do not use it that much) and Chop's lunch separately next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter