The New and Updated Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ Thread for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a ferry boat that goes from Downtown Disney to Old Key West (it's the same service that also stops at Saratoga Springs). You catch it from a different jetty to the Port Orleans service though. The DVC resorts ferry dock is by Pleasure Island, while the Port Orleans one is next to Rainforest Cafe.

Andre

The last time I ate at Turf Club over at Saratoga Springs, I took the boat from the dock there by Rainforest Cafe. It went direct to Saratoga Springs and back. As you walk down to the boat dock there behind Rainforest Cafe and Cap'n Jack's, the line on the right went to the PO resorts and the one on the left went to Saratoga Springs. They didn't share with Old Key West at all.:confused3

We were in room 7319--3rd floor facing the parking lot. It was a little noisy only during the day with the construction out of parking lot 5 but that should stop once they are done working on building 5. I did not fax just called and requested a renovated room, and they were very accomodating. And yes, the pool is nice and warm!

We were neighbors! I was in 7321 (in December). I agree that the parking lot was very loud, even throughout the night. It was terrible! But watching the fireworks from our window/balcony was so worth dealing with that noise.

We just got back yesterday. We were in room 7216. We had paid for a king room which we got. I goofed and requested a water view instead of river view so our room looked out on a fountain. Not horrible since the only time we were in the room was at night and by that point who cared what the view was. We used the DTD boat alot and loved it. We also walked down to Riverside for dinner there which was excellent. The bed was so hard though and the pillows were horrible. We're used to a softer bed (ours has a pillowtop at home). The weather couldn't have been better and the staff was wonderful everywhere! We had the DDP and I think we ate more than we ever have in our lives! Such good food too for the most part. It was really hard to leave especially knowing that we'd have to come back home to snow and cold. :cold:

love hearing all of the good things about POFQ!!!

I have a question about garden grocer delivery and POFQ...

we are arriving at the airport around 11:30am, and headed on ME to POFQ. we are hoping to go to MK shortly after arrival.

When would you have GG deliver? and will they hold it at the front desk?

any input and experience would be appreciated! this will be our first time using the grocery delivery system.

THANKS!!!

The last time I ate at Turf Club over at Saratoga Springs, I took the boat from the dock there by Rainforest Cafe. It went direct to Saratoga Springs and back. As you walk down to the boat dock there behind Rainforest Cafe and Cap'n Jack's, the line on the right went to the PO resorts and the one on the left went to Saratoga Springs. They didn't share with Old Key West at all.:confused3

That is correct; see my response above.

The SSR and OKW water taxis generate from different places; SSR is at Marketplace and OKW you have to take a water taxi from Marketplace to West Side.

The last time I ate at Turf Club over at Saratoga Springs, I took the boat from the dock there by Rainforest Cafe. It went direct to Saratoga Springs and back.

Interesting, when was that? The latest info I have (I forgot about the change to seperate the OKW service) was:

On 21 May 2009, the new dock for the rebuilt Treehouse Villas will open for public use. When this happens, the DVC resort boats departing from Downtown Disney will run two separate routes — one service from Pleasure Island to Old Key West (with green flags and signs) and the other from Pleasure Island to Saratoga Springs and the Treehouse Villas (with blue flags and signs). The continuing Port Orleans service from the Marketplace dock will be marked with yellow flags and signs.

I wonder if they've moved the dock for the SSR/Treehouses service now? If so, I need to update my site!

Andre

Interesting, when was that? The latest info I have (I forgot about the change to seperate the OKW service) was:

On 21 May 2009, the new dock for the rebuilt Treehouse Villas will open for public use. When this happens, the DVC resort boats departing from Downtown Disney will run two separate routes — one service from Pleasure Island to Old Key West (with green flags and signs) and the other from Pleasure Island to Saratoga Springs and the Treehouse Villas (with blue flags and signs). The continuing Port Orleans service from the Marketplace dock will be marked with yellow flags and signs.

I wonder if they've moved the dock for the SSR/Treehouses service now? If so, I need to update my site!

Andre

I cannot tell you when the change was made, but it was that way when I went the Saturday after Thanksgiving week. On my last day, I wanted to do breakfast at Olivia's and lunch at SSR.

I took the bus over to DTD and then to OKW. On my way back, I took the water taxi from OKW to Pleasure Island/West Side, then transferred to a water taxi to Marketplace. From there I went to SSR - the one to POR was on the left and the one to SSR was on the right.

From SSR, I went back to the Market place stop and switched over to the POR water taxi.

we are arriving at the airport around 11:30am, and headed on ME to POFQ. we are hoping to go to MK shortly after arrival.

any input and experience would be appreciated! this will be our first time using the grocery delivery system.

THANKS!!!

You can have your order delivered before you get there and bell services will hold the order for you. They have a fridge to keep your items cold if needed, and mention that to Garden Grocer if they are dropping off your groceries with bell services instead of straight to you. Once your room is ready, call bell services and they'll deliver the groceries to your room.

You can opt for an evening delivery if you'll be in your room, but we always have our groceries delivered earlier in the day and sent to bell services which has worked fine for us.

Wow, what color was the carpet? The new carpet is a goldish tone to it, and the old carpet was dark blue with green tones? I'm shocked that they would change almost everything in the room and not change the carpet, considering they did so in all the other rooms. But I suppose if it looked ok, maybe......:confused3

It was gold. I guess in that short of time they had some untidy guest that has already made a mess on them.

THANKS!!!

We have always ordered through GG & Bell Services will hold it for you. If you order items that need to be kept in the fridge they will keep it cold for you.
One time they delivered around 10:00 am & called me (we were at our airport & had not even taken off yet) but it was there & waiting for us when we got there. They are great & always get what we ordered with no problems. Have a great trip!!

Andre

This was in mid Oct. We were there Oct 9th-17th. The boat went directly from the dock behind Rainforest Cafe to Saratoga Springs.
The captains made a point of telling everyone that the line on the right was going to the PO resorts and the line on the left was going to Saratoga Springs.

Many thanks for the ferry route updates everyone, I've now updated my Sassagoula River Cruise page, should be fully accurate now I hope!

Well, apart from the fact that I still need to get a full list of all the boat names - maybe someone here can help? I'm missing about six, so perhaps you've got a photo showing the name of one of the boats that I haven't got listed? (I've got: Cresent City Queen, Delta Lady, Louisiana Lady, Saratoga Queen, Memphis Miss, Azalea Bloom, Magnolia Blossom and Blossom Queen)

Andre

Good Morning!

Just did my online check in (10 days!!!)

However, this time it was WAY more restricted in room requests. I know I would like Bldg. 4 or 5, however 5 is just starting the refurb correct?

DH likes to be by the food/bar and I want to be close to the laundry as last time, I did several loads one day. Boy was it nice to come home and not have to be doing laundry for the next two days. :rotfl:

Anyone else going to be there Valentines week??

Good Morning!

Just did my online check in (10 days!!!)

However, this time it was WAY more restricted in room requests. I know I would like Bldg. 4 or 5, however 5 is just starting the refurb correct?

DH likes to be by the food/bar and I want to be close to the laundry as last time, I did several loads one day. Boy was it nice to come home and not have to be doing laundry for the next two days. :rotfl:

Anyone else going to be there Valentines week??

Me!!!:dance3:

I did my on-line check-in two days ago. I didn't request ANYTHING through the on-line check-in. I did, however, call Disney Travel to make sure that my requests are in their system and to verify that even if I did on-line check-in, my phone-in request would still get looked at and considered. The CM told me that if I pick up my packet at the on-line check-in desk and my requests were not honored, then I could try again at that time to have my room assignment changed. I thought that even if the CM is wrong, if I don't get a refurbished room, I will just get in the regular check-in line and see if they have anything available (which I am thinking shouldn't be a problem since I am checking in early in the day).

What is your arrival date? Mine is the 11th! We check out on Friday, the 18th. DH's birthday is Valentine's Day and our wedding anniversary is on the 16th.

Just returned from POFQ yesterday, and loved it! We were in 4310, and the walk to the bus stop was amazingly short - which was great when carrying a sleeping kid. :) The referb'd room was beautiful, but the sheets were really noisy (yes, weird comment) and the comforter was a pretty stiff still. No noticeable paint smells.

Only issue with the resort was that the pool heater was broken the day we were going swimming, and the pool was frigid! They got it fixed though for swimmers later in the week.

A CM said an interesting thing to us though. As we were heading to the bus the first day (in full princess gear), she said something like "come back in 2012 - Riverside is getting princess rooms". And then she walked away. So take that with a grain of salt...

Jan

Just returned from POFQ yesterday, and loved it! We were in 4310, and the walk to the bus stop was amazingly short - which was great when carrying a sleeping kid. :) The referb'd room was beautiful, but the sheets were really noisy (yes, weird comment) and the comforter was a pretty stiff still. No noticeable paint smells.

Only issue with the resort was that the pool heater was broken the day we were going swimming, and the pool was frigid! They got it fixed though for swimmers later in the week.

A CM said an interesting thing to us though. As we were heading to the bus the first day (in full princess gear), she said something like "come back in 2012 - Riverside is getting princess rooms". And then she walked away. So take that with a grain of salt...

Jan

A while back, there was concept art for Princess and Haunted Mansion themed rooms that were rumored to be at POR and/or POFQ, much like the Pirate rooms at CBR. It's possible that a portion of Riverside will contain themed rooms, though I'm willing to bet those themed rooms will be in a far-flung location and have a premium price. It'll be interesting to see if the Princess rooms really do happen!

So glad to hear you enjoyed POFQ. Sorry about the pool heater. Maybe the comforter and sheets will be less stiff with use, but as far as use goes in hotel room it's better to get new stuff. : )

Thanks for your information.

Me!!!:dance3:

I did my on-line check-in two days ago. I didn't request ANYTHING through the on-line check-in. I did, however, call Disney Travel to make sure that my requests are in their system and to verify that even if I did on-line check-in, my phone-in request would still get looked at and considered. The CM told me that if I pick up my packet at the on-line check-in desk and my requests were not honored, then I could try again at that time to have my room assignment changed. I thought that even if the CM is wrong, if I don't get a refurbished room, I will just get in the regular check-in line and see if they have anything available (which I am thinking shouldn't be a problem since I am checking in early in the day).

What is your arrival date? Mine is the 11th! We check out on Friday, the 18th. DH's birthday is Valentine's Day and our wedding anniversary is on the 16th.

How exciting and Congrats!! :dance3:

DH and I get in on the 13th and leave on the 19th. If you see a couple in their mid 30's (DH has a bright red goatee), run over and say hi! I cant wait to be back.

I thought the online check in was sorely lacking in requests. When I did it in July you could type in what you wanted and were not stuck with just the 4 options. We booked a room with a king size bed, since it just the two of us. Last time we were in Bldg 5, right in the front it was glorious!

I guess I will give reservations a call and see if I can put my request for preference that way. I will try the fax also. Even if we dont get a referbed room, its not a big deal (to much:lmao:).

How exciting and Congrats!! :dance3:

DH and I get in on the 13th and leave on the 19th. If you see a couple in their mid 30's (DH has a bright red goatee), run over and say hi!
Will do! I don't think we have any features that would lead you to recognize us...years ago I would have said,"Look for the crazy blonde lady with six sons following her", but four of them are adults now, so we look pretty typical with two sons ages 7 and 13.

Just checked in! (actually sitting at the bus stop as.we speak lol). I took some photos of the refurbished room to share!

96b2801a.jpg

Hidden Mickey!
a1f0906d.jpg

Close up of bed
0eaa7d7a.jpg

New TV
894feb5c.jpg

Really enjoying our time here so far, off to Fantasmic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter