• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-board to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The *NEW* Grand Floridian Resort and Spa Frequently Asked Questions -Updated 08/12/02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! That is a great rate. You can personally thank me for that rate since I am sure that it only happened because this is the first year that I bought an AP and it is so typical of my luck that this would be the year that a great rate would come out for packages! :rolleyes: Oh well, I am still thrilled to stay here regardless of the price.

Actually, I am splurging and have booked a deluxe room in the main building RPC. I am a bit nervous since I have read quite a few negative things about the quality of service but I am hoping that I will be very pleasantly surprised. My mother was just diagnosed with scleroderma and my whole family is pretty upset. Life holds no guarantees so I am determined to try to live more for today and worry less about the future;consequently, I feel pretty guilt free about blowing an obscene amount of money for our hotel on this trip. Needless to say, my husband is hoping that this new "Carpe Diem" attitude is relativley short lived.;)

Cris - you are so right- I always think you should reserve the best room you can afford (even if it means pushing the boat out a little). My dad passed away last year, and I would have loved to stay at the GF with him- he paid for us (all 5 of us) to stay onsite (GF didn't even exist in those days) many years ago and I would have loved to repay the compliment.

I hope you and your mom have a magical vacation- enjoy every minute of your GF stay!

1. The tower rooms are in the main building, right?

2. Can you get a tower room facing the castle?

3. Is the resort really spread out? Meaning would it be a long walk from one of the buildings by the lagoon, to the monorail and main building?

4. What is *your* favorite location/building at the GF?

... thinking about staying here for our honeymoon, any insight would be GREAT!!! ...

If I don't cancel my upcoming WDW vacation due to health problems, I will need a handicapped-accessible room in the main building. Do you know how many of these rooms exist, what floors they are located on, and what their views are?

I am so excited to be taking my first trip to WDW with my DH and kids in about a month on the FTP.
We have a Sugar Loaf Concierge room, and I too, had read scary comments about the service and the difference between the two concierges of the RPC and SL. When I called the concierge to cancel a PS, I asked about the food in both locations and the cast member told me that the food is identical now except for the dessert and cordials in the evening that are just at the RPC. She also told me that they were going to be going through some changes (SL or RPC I do not know) but that the two would probably be exactly the same by the time we got there. Maybe they had complaints that one was better than the other and are improving the offerings at the Sugar Loaf concierge. We will have to see what these changes are, but that is what the concierge cast member told me. We will be staying there September 30th through October7th...

We are going August 31, - September 7 to SL Concierge Michelle, so will be sure to let you know here how it went. Thus far, without even having stepped foot there (or any concierge before for that matter) the planning office has spent well over 20 minutes on three separate occasions, and one email exchange as well, and have been very kind and helpful suggesting things for some special occassions, and just generally making the planning be a joy. Special kudos to Clark in planning, he has been especially good. I hope that what you heard was right, that some upgrading has been going on, and we still are weighing asking the cost of an upgrade to RPC when we arrive, if under $70 a night we may go for it. One tip, you can request rooms, and a top floor marina view is very nice according to Clark, as the water at night is something special. Good luck to you all on your trip, and as I said, I promise to return with a report. . . . :bounce: :bounce: . . . hey, I am going in a week and a half!

We will be at SL Sep.27 - Oct. 4, and I agree that Clarke has been especially helpful in obtaining PSs and providing general information. I heard the same thing about upgrades to the SL Concierge offerings, but no timeframe was given. We were also going to check about the cost to upgrade to RPC at checkin, but I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time either way.

Did they say what the upgrades would entail? . . . would it be keeping open until 10 pm like in RPC and offering the desert and alcohol service? . . . That truly would be good news if so. I have emailed Clarke with that question, when I hear back I will post here.

Jeff

Thanks for all the great info, I tried to read it all, but there is way too much. We are staying the GF for the first (and maybe only)time thanks to the FTP. I can't wait!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We're going to the GF (first stay ever!) and I upgraded us to Sugar Loaf; my dad has taken us on 42 family trips to WDW and paid for em all, and we very nearly lost him two years ago, very suddenly...so I know how quick life can change in an instant. So we're going for concierge for the first time as a surprise for him, he's never stayed at the GF either and can't wait to try it out.

My question...how long does it take Concierge to get back to you when you leave a phone message? I'm just wondering how long I should wait before calling again, I keep getting the 'leave a message' recording.

I want to arrange some in-room surprises for Dad and my dd who is seven, did anybody do that with help from the concierge and how did it go? Or did you just call WDW florist directly?

Thanks for any info at all that you can provide...I've never stayed concierge anywhere before and this is a really huge deal to us!

Ro
~eccentric, writer, aka the 'chic geek' :)

I know that the GF does not have an official jogging path like the Epcot resorts and WL have, although one of the relatives on my next vacation (first time staying at GF!!!! yay!!) is a big jogger. Is there anywhere on the grounds that could be suitable for jogging? Are the walkways wide or could the path between the Polynesian and GF be used for jogging? Any joggers or GF experts that could answer this question? Thanks, I can't wait!

mariamouse :D

My husband is a runner and he runs between the poly and GF on the path. I don't know how far it is, but it seems to give him his "fix".:p

Where can I find pictures of the historic and floral themed rooms? I tried the link on the first page of this thread, but it isn't working. Have seen pictures of the Alice, Cameo, and Swan themes already.

Originally posted by GeekChic

My question...how long does it take Concierge to get back to you when you leave a phone message? I'm just wondering how long I should wait before calling again, I keep getting the 'leave a message' recording.

I want to arrange some in-room surprises for Dad and my dd who is seven, did anybody do that with help from the concierge and how did it go? Or did you just call WDW florist directly?

Ro
~eccentric, writer, aka the 'chic geek' :)

I usually emailed the planning office and got a reply within 24 hours or so.

I had arranged with the planning office to have a Pal Mickey and a Pirates of the Caribbean dagger waiting in the room when I arrived. They told me via email that they would purchase them on my credit card. I had told my kids that Mickey was leaving them some surprises. On arrival, the items weren't there and when I asked the concierge CM on duty, she said 'Oh we don't usually pre-purchase items for people in case they don't arrive'. I found this strange as I had been told that they would do this for me, but as I was on vacation, I didn't want to fight about it.

I had ordered a package from drugstore.com and it was waiting for me in the room. I had to tell the kids that Mickey had left them new sippy cups as their surprise (lucky they're young enough that they thought this was great:D ).

To be on the safe side, I would order through the florist although I have heard lots of stories about getting stuff pre-purchased and there have been no problems.

For any of you Grand veterans out there....... My best friend and I are having a fabulous ladies only stay next spring. For our first day there my plan is to basically just unwind and explore the resort on our first day. We would like to schedule spa treatments in the early evening and have room service dinner that evening. Can we arrange it so that we have our room service all set up when we arrive back at the room or do we have to be there to open the door etc? Also do they really set up the table with linens as they show in all the photos? Anyone with experience with this I will appreciate your advice!!! Thanks!!

Originally posted by minster22
Can we arrange it so that we have our room service all set up when we arrive back at the room or do we have to be there to open the door etc? Also do they really set up the table with linens as they show in all the photos?

I am not sure about arranging Private Dining ahead of time and having it set up in your room prior to your arrival. Because of health/food issues, you might have to be in the room in order to receive the order (for example, if your order arrives at a pre-determined time and you are delayed for one reason or the other, your food order may begin to spoil). A simple phone call to the GF’s Private Dining folks should answer that question for you.

As to your other question, yes, they set up the linens and silverware just like you’ve seen in photos. There is also usually a flower in a vase, too, for an extra touch. I remember my son ordering popcorn one evening a few years ago. It arrived in a cut crystal bowl. We found it amusing (microwave popcorn in a bag is the norm for my family). The Private Dining CM also placed a tablecloth over the cocktail table in our suite, along with cloth napkins, crystal salt & pepper shakers, and a vase containing a flower. I don’t know if Private Dining still has popcorn on its menu, but I’ll find out soon when I’m at the GF again.

By the way, the Private Dining folks did leave a birthday cake in our room one day while we were out. Click here to view a photo of it. You’ll see the cake, a candle, a box of matches, plates, silverware, cloth napkins, and the cloth tablecloth. It was a lovely arrangement.

Originally posted by coral40
Where can I find pictures of the historic and floral themed rooms?

On Dreams Unlimited Travel's GF webpage, there is a photo of a floral room: click here to view it. The top photo on that webpage shows the floral theme.

As to the historic rooms, I have seen them shown on the Travel Channel (the Walt Disney Suite and the Victorian Suite). They both were beautiful.

Janet2k...thank you for your reply!! After reading your post, yes, of course we have to be in the room for our room service...This is our first stay at the Grand Floridian , we usually stay at the BWI, which is our favorite resort but we want to try something new and experience some of the restaurants around the GF without any travel back and forth. We are looking forward to a week of basically hanging around the resort with a couple of trips into MK. I also want to thank you for the "quality" of your posts....always kind and full of detailed information. You help many of us here on the DIS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter