The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

I saw the doctor this morning and all in all it is all good news. Good news #1 my ankle was feeling much better when I woke up this morning. Its not 100% but it is feeling better. Good News #2 I can run this weekend as long as it feels okay to run on Saturday.

So the diagnosis. I have a slight case of tendonitis in the tendon on the outside of my ankle. This is caused because I have extreme high arches and my feet roll outward. This is not a normal foot rotation. Running on the cambered road with the road sloping to that side exaberated the issue Sunday. I am supposed to rest and ice this week and take it easy. He wrote me a prescription for custom orthotics I can look into (after the race) to force my food to get back to a normal position as it has overcompensated at this point. I'll make that call after the race.

So I might change my race expectations and slow down on Saturday but for now it looks like I should get to run on Saturday.
Glad you can run this weekend. I actually think I have the exact same thing going on right now as you do (self-diagnosed though, haven't seen a doctor about it). :sad2: In my case it was during my 12-miler on Sunday and I was overcompensating for some IT band pain. The foot didn't hurt during the run at all, started bothering my a bit Sunday night...by Monday it was just SORE right under the ankle bone. UGH!

It's never been that bad that I can't put weight on it but it's still upsetting. I can truly say I totally know where you're coming from. :hug:

I bought some KT Tape, which I've never used before, and used the application instructions on their site for Peroneal Tendonitis. http://www.kttape.com/instructions/ I do think it's helping and I might stop by their booth at the expo to get taped by the pros. I had a compression recovery sock on last night and I think I'll put that back on when I get home. And like you, rest (no running at all this week), icing and elevation. I'm also taking ibuprofen every 4 hours like clockwork, though I'm going to back off on that tomorrow. I'm also breaking a cardinal race day rule by bringing a new pair of shoes for the race - my current pair only has 275 miles on them but I was debating retiring them before the run, so I can't help but wonder what would've happened if I'd listened to my gut and run in the newer shoes. This new pair is the same model I always wear (normally I get 350-400 miles out of a pair of shoes, so really not thrilled with my current pair), so it should be okay, I think. Not ideal obviously. I'm not taking any chances with the old pair though.

Monday was pretty upsetting, last night was really a low point because I started to actually entertain the idea that I'd have to drop out, but today I'm feeling better. Fingers crossed!

About the salt--I am a horrible salt sweater and I have tried endurolytes, sports drinks, etc and finally just resorted to dumping a couple of salt packets in a plastic baggie and every 30 minutes or so I eat a little bit with some water when on a run over an hour. At the end of the race I will eat salty gf pretzels with pb and a banana.

Would it make a difference (or be easier) if you chomped on the pretzels DURING the race? :confused3 I found the perfect recovery meal for me is lowfat choc milk and pretzel goldfish. Yummy! :goodvibes

I saw the doctor this morning and all in all it is all good news. Good news #1 my ankle was feeling much better when I woke up this morning. Its not 100% but it is feeling better. Good News #2 I can run this weekend as long as it feels okay to run on Saturday.

So the diagnosis. I have a slight case of tendonitis in the tendon on the outside of my ankle. This is caused because I have extreme high arches and my feet roll outward. This is not a normal foot rotation. Running on the cambered road with the road sloping to that side exaberated the issue Sunday. I am supposed to rest and ice this week and take it easy. He wrote me a prescription for custom orthotics I can look into (after the race) to force my food to get back to a normal position as it has overcompensated at this point. I'll make that call after the race.

So I might change my race expectations and slow down on Saturday but for now it looks like I should get to run on Saturday.

Yayyyyy!!! :cool1: :thumbsup2 Sounds like we're built the same way. I'm definitely a super underpronator and run on the outside of my feet. I found the green SuperFeet arch supports do just fine as I really don't want to spend the $$ on custom orthotics (the DH's were $800! :faint:). I also found really shortening up my stride length has helped considerably. I realize it's probably too late to change up your running style now, but something to keep in mind. :rolleyes2

Hey DIS admin peeps! How about adding a running smilie? :cool1:

Would it make a difference (or be easier) if you chomped on the pretzels DURING the race? :confused3 I found the perfect recovery meal for me is lowfat choc milk and pretzel goldfish. Yummy! :goodvibes
I have done both. :) For the marathon I carried salt and pretzels. When it is really hot I have a hard time eating, so I usually end up just sticking with the salt (and water of course) if it is really warm. I have tried the chocolate milk (and even Wendy's frostees) and found that I can't handle dairy for a couple of hours after a long run. I wish I could, cause it tastes so good. :) I don't know if it's cause of the gluten problems or what, but my stomach is silly sensitive sometimes. It took a lot of trial and error and reading to finally try something that worked.

I ran B Stone to the Village (Target Corner) then down to the Centra Care and came straight back. I want to get back to the W Orange Trail but find it tough to hop in a car then run. Maybe as miles jump up, I will get back to the trail.. Otherwise, wave at the chunky guy with a white visor on the opposite side of the road on your long runs. I will more than likely head south from 429 before long; looping around Crescent Lake and then Lake Butler.

I've though about the Trail too, especially for my 20 miler but I know that if I can't just get up and go right out my door, it's not going to happen! I'll be running on your side on the way home from school--its much shadier than the Walgreens/fire station side!!

I had this exact same pain, kind of on both sides. I tried to ran through it and it got worse...I was limping around for weeks! Not what you want to hear I'm sure but rest is really the only thing that made it better. I tried ice, heat, heat patches, shoe inserts, etc. KT tape did help a lot - I used the application for bursitis. Hope you heal quickly! Once I stopped trying to force it, I felt 100% better in about 2 weeks and it hasn't bothered me a bit since then

Did you find how to tape for bursitis on the KT Tape page?

Hey Dis Peeps we have arrived! 3am check in at Pop.... Yawn... Sleeping in tomorrow before the move to the Boardwalk! Safe travels everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Anyone having any crazy anxiety dreams? I dreamt that we forgot our Magic Bands and I forgot to bring my deodorant!

We arrive tomorrow! Yippee!!!!

We are getting ready to take off here too. Once the kids are off to school, we are heading to the airport.

I just want to give a big thanks to all you for all your support, advice, and info here. I may not have always replied to everything but I was reading, trying to keep up, and always sending good thoughts to those who needed it.

Best of luck to you all and I hope to meet up Saturday! Run like the wind, Bullseye! pixiedust:

I'm too excited to sleep! I've been awake since 0430!

Time to get the kids ready for school (and their tearful goodbyes) and then the dogs off to their "retreat ". Then final packing and we're off to Orlando!

Good luck everyone! It's been a wonderful journey so far and the finish line is almost in sight!

So jealous of everyone who is already there or leaving today. One more day of work for me. I did go ahead and pack last night. It's a good thing I didn't wait as I had a time looking for a few things.

Have fun and good luck to all.

Hey Dis Peeps we have arrived! 3am check in at Pop.... Yawn... Sleeping in tomorrow before the move to the Boardwalk! Safe travels everyone!!!

Get some rest 'cuz it's time to GET THIS PARTY STARTED!! :cool1: :banana: :woohoo: party:

Anyone having any crazy anxiety dreams? I dreamt that we forgot our Magic Bands and I forgot to bring my deodorant!

We arrive tomorrow! Yippee!!!!

Happens every year to every one of us! :confused3 :eek:

We are getting ready to take off here too. Once the kids are off to school, we are heading to the airport.

I just want to give a big thanks to all you for all your support, advice, and info here. I may not have always replied to everything but I was reading, trying to keep up, and always sending good thoughts to those who needed it.

Best of luck to you all and I hope to meet up Saturday! Run like the wind, Bullseye! pixiedust:

Back at ya fellow Disney Dork! :cheer2: :dance3: :jumping1:

I'm too excited to sleep! I've been awake since 0430!

Time to get the kids ready for school (and their tearful goodbyes) and then the dogs off to their "retreat ". Then final packing and we're off to Orlando!

Good luck everyone! It's been a wonderful journey so far and the finish line is almost in sight!

Tylenol PM was the only thing that got me through the night! :rotfl: 4am still made an ugly appearance. Now I'm sitting at work thinking this is going to be the longest 7 hours of my life! :rainbow::faint:

Safe travels to everyone! :love: Can't wait to see you over the next few days! :banana: :dance3: :jumping1:party::disrocks:

Anyone having any crazy anxiety dreams? I dreamt that we forgot our Magic Bands and I forgot to bring my deodorant! We arrive tomorrow! Yippee!!!!

Yes! Dreamt that I forgot my clothes for the after party, went back to the hotel to get them except I couldn't find my room and missed the start of the race. Does this mean I'm a real runner now that I'm having anxiety dreams or just crazy lol. Can't wait to be in the World tomorrow!!

It's so exciting to read all of your updates...great to hear that some of you are already at Disney!

We started our trip early w/a beach vacation at Anna Maria Island. We head over to Disney tonight...so excited! I did a practice run here in my red sparkle skirt/minnie costume & got some smiles...I'm sure people think I'm crazy! Lol!

Safe travels everyone! :)

Yes! Dreamt that I forgot my clothes for the after party, went back to the hotel to get them except I couldn't find my room and missed the start of the race. Does this mean I'm a real runner now that I'm having anxiety dreams or just crazy lol. Can't wait to be in the World tomorrow!!

It means you're officially a real DISNEY DORK RUNNER! YYYYYIIIIIPPPPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!! :cool1: :yay: :cheer2:

It's so exciting to read all of your updates...great to hear that some of you are already at Disney!

We started our trip early w/a beach vacation at Anna Maria Island. We head over to Disney tonight...so excited! I did a practice run here in my red sparkle skirt/minnie costume & got some smiles...I'm sure people think I'm crazy! Lol!

Safe travels everyone! :)

Anna Maria is bee-u-ti-ful! :love: And being part of the craziness is half the fun! :jumping1:

3 hours to take off and I'm losing my mind!!!!!!!!!!:rainbow::faint:

Run like the wind, Bullseye! pixiedust:

Love this, and ditto!!! I'm not running Wine and Dine this year, but have enjoyed following this thread! (I guess it's still a wine and dine weekend for me, since my husband and I are headed to Napa!) I'll be cheering for all of you from a distance on Saturday night! :cheer2:

Really looking forward to hearing all of your reports when you return, and hope to see some of you at the PHM in February!

I have 2.5 hours left at school...When will it be over?!?!!?

Then home for a quick 3 miles and time to pack! On the plane tomrrow morning and it officially begins! Can't wait!

Hi all, I'm new to the board, but I'm not new to running runDisney races! I will be in attendance of this race this weekend, and I will be getting my Coast to Coast medal! I will be wearing my New Year's Race Ambassador shirt throughout the race. :)

Just finished my last pre-race run. After feeling horrible for the past two weeks, I finally had a run where I felt pretty good. Three miles in 30 minutes and no ankle pain for the first time in a month. Saturday might not be pretty, but I am confident that I can finish those miles even if I need to switch to a run walk in the final few. I'm feeling a little nervous but also excited because tomorrow we are flying to DISNEY! Hooray!

I'll be wearing bright blue shorts, a blue Mickey running shirt, and a blue headband with a bow printed on it if anyone wants to chat during the race :)

Hi all! I am gearing up as well. We fly in tomorrow afternoon. My running buddy is diagnosed with a torn meniscus and is out so I will be running solo.

I will be in a green embroidered shirt that says I run for (Mickey bar) & (wine glass).

I would love to chat, have company etc! My DH and kids will thankfully be at the finish line!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter