• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Looks like there are going to be LOTS of DIS'ers there during that time frame!
Sure does. Wish we could go the following week to take advantage of even lower crowds but the whole family goes back to school on the 27th.

I just changed our Aug 21-29 resort from WL to CR, mostly because I think my vegetarian daughter will have a hard time with food choices at WL.

Btw, I am not able to post a new thread on the Aug FB group....

Sure does. Wish we could go the following week to take advantage of even lower crowds but the whole family goes back to school on the 27th.

You're lucky your kids go back that late! Ours start 8/16. Our whole trip as of now is 8/1 to 8/12 and that's as late as we can go due to all of the back to school activities. The part that's hard is baseball goes until almost the end of July making a summer vacation even harder!

I'm always fascinated by the differences in when schools start up again after the summer break. I'm in Canada and we have always gone back the day after Labour Day, even when I was a kid. Itr's always strange to see friends of mine post at the start of August about how their kids are getting ready to go back and my son has only been off school for a month. Of course, I love to be able to take advantage of going back this late to hit some low(er) crowds at Disney! :)

Going aug 21-28 2018:rockband: staying port Orleans French quarter

PO French Quarter is our absolute favourite resort. We are at PO Riverside and Beach Club (splurging for club level for the first time- yay!!) this August for 2 weeks total. Haven't stayed at French Quarter in a while because it's so difficult to get discounts there, but we always walk over for a visit while we're at Riverside (and get beignets yum :cloud9:)

You're lucky your kids go back that late! Ours start 8/16. Our whole trip as of now is 8/1 to 8/12 and that's as late as we can go due to all of the back to school activities. The part that's hard is baseball goes until almost the end of July making a summer vacation even harder!
We live in RI where we don't start nearly as early as you, but about half of the (tiny) state starts the week before before Labor Day (as we do) and half start the week after. I wish we could go 8/26-9/1 like some friends get to do but I guess I shouldn't complain. We're just excited to go at all!!!

I'm always fascinated by the differences in when schools start up again after the summer break. I'm in Canada and we have always gone back the day after Labour Day, even when I was a kid. Itr's always strange to see friends of mine post at the start of August about how their kids are getting ready to go back and my son has only been off school for a month. Of course, I love to be able to take advantage of going back this late to hit some low(er) crowds at Disney! :)
Jealous!!! We always complain about starting up the week before Labor Day. Would love to go 8/26-9/1 if we had the chance.

I just changed our Aug 21-29 resort from WL to CR, mostly because I think my vegetarian daughter will have a hard time with food choices at WL.

Btw, I am not able to post a new thread on the Aug FB group....
pm me and we will see if we can sort that out

Here is our ADR plan / list - our 180 day mark is February 8th (the same morning that Southwest opens up their flight schedule - gonna be a busy
morning!:faint: )

1st 10 days at PORS - free dining bounceback (we upgraded to the regular dining plan)
Although my DD's are 18 and 16, they love character meals.
I know this is an older post but I had to comment and say that my daughters are 17 and 13 (they will be 18 and 14 on our trip) and they LOVE character meals as well! They have specifically requested that I schedule quite a few of them for this trip. They also love standing in line for characters, interacting with them and taking selfies with them. :-)

Hi all! I just requested to join the FB group and I'm excited to join the group chat here! Our dates are Aug 21st-25th at AKL and then the 25th-31st at YC! We can't wait.... bring on the HEAT! ha!
Welcome both here on the DIS, and to the FB group. My kids are 14 and 23, and we still do character meals. The 23 year old specifically requests breakfast at 1800 park fare because she has a bit of a Mad Hatter obsession. To be honest, the only picture I have of the (then 13 year old) son smiling last year in Disney was when he was with Mad Hatter at breakfast, so that was WELL worth the price of the meal!

In addition to Park Fare, we will have a breakfast at Chef Mickey's, and Crystal Palace, plus a lunch at Tusker House to round out the character meals.

Our 180 day mark is fast approaching (February 19th) and so I am now trying to figure out what days for what parks, and then what ADR's we will want, and at what times. This is the first year I have had to attempt to do so without any kind of guess at park hours, EMH, special events or really anything to go on from Disney, and I have to say, I am not a fan of it.

I think perhaps if they continue to force us to make ADR's at 180 days, without giving us park hours to work with, then I might have to respond with my wallet next year, and not make any ADR's.

Welcome both here on the DIS, and to the FB group. My kids are 14 and 23, and we still do character meals. The 23 year old specifically requests breakfast at 1800 park fare because she has a bit of a Mad Hatter obsession. To be honest, the only picture I have of the (then 13 year old) son smiling last year in Disney was when he was with Mad Hatter at breakfast, so that was WELL worth the price of the meal!

In addition to Park Fare, we will have a breakfast at Chef Mickey's, and Crystal Palace, plus a lunch at Tusker House to round out the character meals.
My oldest LOVES the Mad Hatter too! We had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare a few years back (2014) and it was a highlight of our trip. We are considering dinner there this time. We have done dinner there back in 2011, so we thought it would be fun to have those character interactions when the girls are a older now. Fun fun! We've also done those character meals and hubby wanted to try Chef Mickey's again this trip. We did dinner there way back on our first trip in 2010. I see such bad reviews on here about it and I remember feeling like the food was mediocre.

Our 180 day mark is fast approaching (February 19th) and so I am now trying to figure out what days for what parks, and then what ADR's we will want, and at what times. This is the first year I have had to attempt to do so without any kind of guess at park hours, EMH, special events or really anything to go on from Disney, and I have to say, I am not a fan of it.

I think perhaps if they continue to force us to make ADR's at 180 days, without giving us park hours to work with, then I might have to respond with my wallet next year, and not make any ADR's.
I hear ya! I'm hoping that park hours will be released and that we will have a clear shot at knowing when MNSSHP is. I saw Kenny the Pirate predicted for Aug. 24th so I'm tentatively planning we will do the party on that date. It's SO DIFFICULT! Our ADR's will depend on park hours and where will be that day.

Here are our choices so far:
Boma dinner, BOG dinner, 'Ohana dinner, Via Napoli, Sci-Fi lunch, Tepan Edo (my girls' fave in Epcot), Mickey's Diner, 1900 Park Fare dinner, Trattoria al Forno breakfast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter