*** The Official August 2019 thread ***

I feel your pain. I started in a new department at my company in March. Not only new to me, but literally a new department that didnt exist until the day me and my boss started. I basically followed her there. We worked together for years prior and when she got the promotion to head up this new department, she asked me to go with her. I was hesitant, but I really love working with her, so I accepted.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago and I get the news she resigned to take another position as director at another company.

So now, I am the only one running this department and my 2 week vacation is in 1 week. I have spent every day last week and this week quickly training people just to get by with the daily must do stuff, which is a lot. Its been a scramble between training and getting IT to install all the programs that these coworkers will need. Its going to be a disaster and I was asked yesterday if I was taking my laptop with me. I gave a firm "NO" , but then it was "strongly suggested" I have my phone with me >:(

It's complete ******** the level of commitment companies in the US expect. My European colleagues take off for a month and no one thinks twice about it.

I report to the CHRO of my company (I run recruitment) and I now have to find 30 minutes next week between the hours of 5-7am to have a meeting with my European counterparts during the first vacation I've taken in 6 years. My wife also needs to find 30 minutes for a late afternoon meeting with her east coast team. We are both beyond pissed as is my 12 year old son at us. This is not how I wanted to have my vacation. I was planning on turning off outlook notifications and only check my email every other day

That’s horrible. You & your wife should not have to deal with meetings during your family vacation.

I feel your pain. I started in a new department at my company in March. Not only new to me, but literally a new department that didnt exist until the day me and my boss started. I basically followed her there. We worked together for years prior and when she got the promotion to head up this new department, she asked me to go with her. I was hesitant, but I really love working with her, so I accepted.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago and I get the news she resigned to take another position as director at another company.

So now, I am the only one running this department and my 2 week vacation is in 1 week. I have spent every day last week and this week quickly training people just to get by with the daily must do stuff, which is a lot. Its been a scramble between training and getting IT to install all the programs that these coworkers will need. Its going to be a disaster and I was asked yesterday if I was taking my laptop with me. I gave a firm "NO" , but then it was "strongly suggested" I have my phone with me >:(

That’s very frustrating
I’m in a similar work situation (small office, lost 2 employees & I'm doing the work by myself). I have a young part time worker that I’m training to help pick up the slack but she can really only do data entry & her hours are limited. I am not answering my phone on vacation. I normally do but I’m burnt out. I’m worried about what i’ll be walking back into after vacay.

I’m worried about what i’ll be walking back into after vacay.

I guess if there is a bright side to my situation, its that 80% of what I do needs to be done daily. There is no waiting for tomorrow. If something is missed, its missed forever. So, whatever they dont do while Im gone will not be sitting on my desk when I get back :) The bad part is NOTHING can be missed! I hope Im not blamed for poor training or not being available when I get back.

The secret passholder treat from Sunshine Seasons

Omg what??? I’m upgrading to an AP this time around and I’m dying to know the scoop!! I’m all about the treats!!

Anyway I’m freaking out because I have 7 more days to go! Just put in my last Amazon order but I swear I keep forgetting things. Things have been nuts because my promotion at work became official on Monday, I’m now in the training dept and we have back to back new hire classes starting next week. Fortunately my time off was already approved months ago. I’m definitely getting a celebration button! Do they have them at the resorts or do you have to go to guest services?

Congrats on the new position, but that's so frustrating they are expecting you to work while on vacation.

Yesterday was the first day of our vacation and I was very happy with the plans we made. We went to MK and the wait times were high for most everything. We are now waiting to enter Pandora for a 9:00 Park opening. It looks like it is going to be packed here today but it is my first experience with Pandora. Here are two shots - one of the crowd in front of us and one of the crowd after us. We are heading to Navi and not FOP so we will see how that goes.

64FF9C2B-1C45-4C7A-A83B-D666473127B9.jpeg33071C15-8B0A-4E9A-9EE8-D8611D7BB5C8.jpeg

Thanks to everyone who posted on the board and hope everyone enjoys their vacation. We are enjoying our plans so far.

Yesterday was the first day of our vacation and I was very happy with the plans we made. We went to MK and the wait times were high for most everything. We are now waiting to enter Pandora for a 9:00 Park opening. It looks like it is going to be packed here today but it is my first experience with Pandora. Here are two shots - one of the crowd in front of us and one of the crowd after us. We are heading to Navi and not FOP so we will see how that goes.

View attachment 421646View attachment 421647

Thanks to everyone who posted on the board and hope everyone enjoys their vacation. We are enjoying our plans so far.
Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day, and have a magical time.pixiedust:

Have a safe journey and a blast at Disney World!

I bouncing with joy for you too :mickeyjum:goofy::dumbo::donald::stitch::simba::ccat:Have a fantastic trip!

Yes, and good for you that they even have a turkey dinner on the a la carte menu :)! I havent been in many years. I loved when they would come out to the waiting area and announce that our table was ready. Wonder if they still do that?? !

For sure, they were still calling out family names last summer when we were there.

Just added a super quick,rather last minute August visit to our list of 2019 trips! Going the 18-21st mainly for the AP SWGE preview and to meet up with very close DIS friends :love: Staying at CSR, no plans yet other than the preview and one dinner with friends. We rarely plan too far out and were just there for the 4th, go back in Sept and are totally fine with an on the fly trip!

You've been added to the Roll Call, hope you have an amazing trip!

For those who are upgrading to the AP when you arrive - are there other "secret" perks besides the treat at Sunshine Seasons? Or - other favorite AP "swag"?

View attachment 421646View attachment 421647

Wow! That's unbelievable.

We want to try the bioluminescence tour that they just did!

That looked really cool but I watched their next vlog and they said they got so many bug bites, ugh the plight of southern living. We go outside every night at dusk to enjoy the "cooler" temps and we get eaten alive.
I am almost packed. I just need to wait on hubby to get his suitcase out to put a couple of my outfits in his suitcase and a couple of his in mine when he pulls his clothes out. Then I only have last minute stuff that I'll put in Friday morning while hubby is at work (he works half days on Friday because the college closes at 11:30). Then once he gets home he will shower and grab his last minute stuff, and finish up any last minute stuff he needs to do around the house, we will eat lunch at the house and then probably head on to Nashville. I figure by the time hubby gets all his last minute stuff done it may be around 4:00 ish when we actually hit the road. Its a little under 2 hours to Nashville but with us getting there around 6 on a Friday night traffic may be bad by then. But at least we won't be in a hurry since our only plan is to grab supper and just hang out in the room so we can get to bed early for our early shuttle to the airport Saturday. We will also need to attach our MDE tags. I also packed the magicbands in my carry on because knowing hubby he would end up forgetting them or packing them in the checked luggage.
Now tomorrow will be spent going to the bank, to Target, Sams and Walmart for groceries. Since hubby is a teacher he only gets paid once a month with his regular job so I grocery shop for a month at a time (minus perishables of course) so that's what all my errands are tomorrow. I also want to get the kids some cash to leave with them in case they decide to order pizza or go out to eat one night while we are gone. They'll also have our checkbook if anything else happens to pop up. I got all of mu laundry done yesterday (all hampers are empty except hubby's work clothes, which I'll wash Thursday evening once he gets home), but I'm sure I'll have to end up throwing in a last minute load thursday probably.
It's getting real now!

Your post makes me think of the meme of wives getting ready for vacation and the long checklist of chores and then the husband decides to do one random, not vacation prep related task the day before you leave 😆 This is totally me. I've been deep in laundry for two days straight and cleaning my house since my in-laws are going to stay at our house while we are gone to help take care of our dogs.

I still have to pack, one of my kids is packed and husband is packing tomorrow. Gotta get our food ready to go, cash and get my nails done tonight. But it's all fun stuff!!! YAY T minus 2 days!!

Omg what??? I’m upgrading to an AP this time around and I’m dying to know the scoop!! I’m all about the treats!!

Anyway I’m freaking out because I have 7 more days to go! Just put in my last Amazon order but I swear I keep forgetting things. Things have been nuts because my promotion at work became official on Monday, I’m now in the training dept and we have back to back new hire classes starting next week. Fortunately my time off was already approved months ago. I’m definitely getting a celebration button! Do they have them at the resorts or do you have to go to guest services?

Its a nice looking ice cream sandwich, I am definitely going to grab it. Check disney food blog's post here

As for buttons, they should have them at the front desk of your resort and will write on them as well for you if you need them to (at least they did for me at Pop in June when I was there)

I hope you are able to have a great vacation. I worked during our trip last year. It wasn't fun; but I was a contractor so it did put a dent into my days with no pay.

For those who are upgrading to the AP when you arrive - are there other "secret" perks besides the treat at Sunshine Seasons? Or - other favorite AP "swag"?

Here are some sites that explain the new Epcot VIP perks as well as some current special AP perks. One thing not listed there and is sort of a hack (pretty sure disney food blog is where i saw this) is to buy your bottled water/drinks at gift shops, not food locations, because in the gift sho they are subject to your 20% merch discount as an AP

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/07/exciting-v-i-passholder-perks-added-at-epcot/

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/specials/

Ugh I was placing my Walmart grocery pick up order this morning and trying to use hubbys card (we have a $500.00 daily limit on this account with our debit cards and I had other errands to run so I was gonna use his so mine would be free to use the rest of the day) and it was declined. :confused3 I thought maybe it was because I had to change the expiration date since he had gotten a new one recently. Hubby then tried to get gas on the way to work with it and it was declined there too. So he had to call and for some reason his card was flagged. They didn’t have a reason noted but thankfully got it all worked out. That would have been bad for us to be on vacation and it was flagged.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter