The official GCV press release!

To add on in CA (I already own at OKW), does it have to be a full 160 points, or can the add-on in CA be smaller than a brand new contract?

Just curious since I wasn't an owner when the last "new release" came out...wondering how it works.

Also, if the villas won't be completed until late 2009, how do they work the purchase? When do they start selling, and how do the points work in terms of the fact that you can't even use them until late 2009??? Do you just "lose" the points you would have used in 2007/2008?? OR do they not actually SELL the points until there are places to stay?

Just curious & excited...thanks for enlightening me...

I don't think it will be quite that bad. If I were to bet, I think you will have a chance. How long was VWL for sale? It has about twice the number of total potential rooms, correct? (separate out the 1 BRs and studios).

Don't forget that most DVC members are WDW annual visitors and likely will not feel the need to buy in at DLR, many will but I'm still betting they end up a minority of all current DVC members.

As a Disneyland vet who's been patiently waiting for a DL DVC, I'm very disappointed. Being such a small DVC addition, points will likely sell out to the 350,000 current DVC members before us west-coast-non-members get a chance to buy in.:sad2: :mad: :sad1:

I think I'm going to have to change our plans of buying in and instead go to plan B.:scratchin

I'd bet that DVC will have the option to build more villas if the initial points offering sells out quickly. Too many people are talking about DL.

I was wondering about grand villas, since it only mentioned "2br equivalents" (which I also interpreted as lock-offs).

My guess on how they could get a GV with only 2BR lockoffs works like this. There will be maybe 3 or 4 lockoffs that will have connecting doors on both sides of the 1BR connecting to 2 different studios, thus giving you accomodations for 12 with 3 baths. I see the setup for the villas being studio-1BR, studio-1BR and so on all the way thru the resort. This way the 3 way combo would work to produce the GV. Just a thought:confused3

My guess on how they could get a GV with only 2BR lockoffs works like this. There will be maybe 3 or 4 lockoffs that will have connecting doors on both sides of the 1BR connecting to 2 different studios, thus giving you accomodations for 12 with 3 baths. I see the setup for the villas being studio-1BR, studio-1BR and so on all the way thru the resort. This way the 3 way combo would work to produce the GV. Just a thought:confused3

A funky Grand Villa

I'd bet that DVC will have the option to build more villas if the initial points offering sells out quickly. Too many people are talking about DL.

I think this is a possibility also, when all is said and done, there may be more DVC units in this addition than was originally planned.

As a Disneyland vet who's been patiently waiting for a DL DVC, I'm very disappointed. Being such a small DVC addition, points will likely sell out to the 350,000 current DVC members before us west-coast-non-members get a chance to buy in.:sad2: :mad: :sad1:

I think I'm going to have to change our plans of buying in and instead go to plan B.:scratchin

Don't give up hope, yet...

If you have the name of a guide, give them a call and have them put you on a priority list.

I am curious, though...

What's "plan B?" :confused3

I am happy that they are adding another pool. And a rooftop fireworks viewing site, how cool is that!!!!

These two features sound exciting to me too! :woohoo:

No word on where we can see some of that concept art before October 9th?

If true I will not buy there but will try to, stay there at the 7 month. Still waiting here for that CRV to add on.

Don't give up hope, yet...

If you have the name of a guide, give them a call and have them put you on a priority list.

I am curious, though...

What's "plan B?" :confused3

I'm just looking at this realistically. With more than 350,000 current DVC members (and growing everyday), and with approx. 750,000 GCV points to sell, only 15,000 members would need to make a 50 point add-on for all the points to be gone. Also, being such a small DVC addition, if any member ever wants to stay there, they better have GCV points for the 11 month booking advantage. By the 7 month window, it'll most likely be impossible to book anything. This scenerio almost guarantees that GCV points will sell out to current DVC members. I am just BUMMED!

Plan 'B' is sticking with the occasional AP discounts.

Then there's a plan 'C', which is to buy a small 25 point resale contract just to get our foot in the DVC door in order to assure us the ability to buy into GCV. (DH is pretty peeved right now though, so this most likely won't happen.)

Plan 'D' is looking into Marriott on the Newport Coast.

And finally plan 'E' is to wait and possibly buy a timeshare at GardenWalk.

remember, a more relevant count of DVC members is half of that. The 350,000 includes everyone listed on the deeds. A man and wife might technically be two members but should be counted as one in this case, i.e. one membership. Don't forget that a large portion of that group of owners are regular visitors to WDW or live on that half of the country and have no interest in annual trips to DLR. I think that GCV will sell very well, but I'm sure anybody that right now knows they will buy will have time if they want to.

I'm just looking at this realistically. With more than 350,000 current DVC members (and growing everyday), and with approx. 750,000 GCV points to sell, only 15,000 members would need to make a 50 point add-on for all the points to be gone. Also, being such a small DVC addition, if any member ever wants to stay there, they better have GCV points for the 11 month booking advantage. By the 7 month window, it'll most likely be impossible to book anything. This scenerio almost guarantees that GCV points will sell out to current DVC members. I am just BUMMED!

Then there's a plan 'C', which is to buy a small 25 point resale contract just to get our foot in the DVC door in order to assure us the ability to buy into GCV. (DH is pretty peeved right now though, so this most likely won't happen.)

I dunno- I think there is a reasonable chance that they will last long enough to go on sale to non-members, and DVC must think so too, since they are remodeling the DVC sales unit at DL. That quote of 350K members is somewhat misleading- from what I've heard there are less than 150K actual contracts- DVC likes to make it sound more impressive by counting up all the family members associated with the contract. So 15K membership add-ons would be more than 10% of the current memberships. Currently DVC is pretty heavily east-coast based (not surprising, since that's where the current resorts are), and I don't think DL is going to lure 10% of them to buy in within the first few weeks. Also, since they will almost certainly be pre-selling GCV, if they really DID sell out in the first month, I would think they would quickly change thier plans, find a way make some of those other 200 hotel rooms into DVC units.

I admit, it's nervewracking (we went with plan "C" ourselves, because we wanted the guarantee of being able to buy in), but I wouldn't rush to any decisions if I were you.

I believe that CA RE law prohibits the seller from accepting $$ until the improvements are complete (or a bond has been posted to make sure that there is $$ to complete them). As a result, I would not expect any sales to begin until 2009.

-- Suzanne

Mtnman44 and squidmo - I like you're positive thinking and I HOPE that you're both right! We would LOVE to have the opportunity to buy in at GCV, but if that fails, we'll still find a way to get our Disneyland fix, with the occasional trip to WDW.

Plan F: Just wait and buy a resale.

anyone else hoping that DVC doesn't fix/up the minimum # of points you must buy via an add on a cash basis (25)?

I (and i think many of us) rely on banking & borrowing to get the 11 month window. Since I can't see us making the trip every year; and would hate to take my chances @ the 7 month mark @ WDW; it would def. shut us out of the market.

Sure would hate to see a 160 min. point purchase instituted for GCV or, more importantly to me, CRV.;)

anyone else hoping that DVC doesn't fix/up the minimum # of points you must buy via an add on a cash basis (25)?

I (and i think many of us) rely on banking & borrowing to get the 11 month window. Since I can't see us making the trip every year; and would hate to take my chances @ the 7 month mark @ WDW; it would def. shut us out of the market.

Sure would hate to see a 160 min. point purchase instituted for GCV or, more importantly to me, CRV.;)

Yea, I had no interest in this until I started thinking it may be a great opportunity for the very occasional trip, otherwise it may rise in resale value dramatically if Californians (and Wash) like super-mom have a big interest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter