• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The official GCV press release!

My guess on how they could get a GV with only 2BR lockoffs works like this. There will be maybe 3 or 4 lockoffs that will have connecting doors on both sides of the 1BR connecting to 2 different studios, thus giving you accomodations for 12 with 3 baths. I see the setup for the villas being studio-1BR, studio-1BR and so on all the way thru the resort. This way the 3 way combo would work to produce the GV. Just a thought:confused3

That's a distinct possibility they could do it that way. But I'm not sure where the connecting doors would go. It would have to be a funky layout, as previously mentioned, in order to have two studios have access to the L/R area of a 1-B/R unit. If they just laid it out like VWL, BCV etc, then the layout would be Studio, L/R, Master B/R, Studio, and thus the 2nd Studio would have to connect to the Master B/R and not to the L/R area.

If they did it by having two studios connect to another unit's L/R area, then I think the term Grand Villa would not be appropriate. The proper term would be a 3-B/R villa as the difference between a 2-b/r and a 3-B/R would only be the addition of the 2nd studio. Nothing at all like the other Grand villas at OKW, BWV, SSR, HH, or the Beach Cottage at VB which are all truly a large step up from their respective resorts' 2-B/R villas.

anyone else hoping that DVC doesn't fix/up the minimum # of points you must buy via an add on a cash basis (25)?

I (and i think many of us) rely on banking & borrowing to get the 11 month window. Since I can't see us making the trip every year; and would hate to take my chances @ the 7 month mark @ WDW; it would def. shut us out of the market.

Sure would hate to see a 160 min. point purchase instituted for GCV or, more importantly to me, CRV.;)

Ahhhhhhhh!:scared1:

That would be a nightmare for me...

We've been looking forward to adding on at GCV since our visit there last summer. But living in NJ we would only need enough points to go for 3-5 night visits every 3 years. 160 points will not be needed. 25 should be enough, if the point charts allow...

anyone else hoping that DVC doesn't fix/up the minimum # of points you must buy via an add on a cash basis (25)?

I (and i think many of us) rely on banking & borrowing to get the 11 month window. Since I can't see us making the trip every year; and would hate to take my chances @ the 7 month mark @ WDW; it would def. shut us out of the market.

Sure would hate to see a 160 min. point purchase instituted for GCV or, more importantly to me, CRV.;)

Well, I'd think that with such a small number of units to sell, it would be totally unnecessary to raise the minimum.

I called my guide today, who only knew as much as the press release. She did say that they are currently only approved to sell in FL, CA and IL, and that she can't even talk about the DVC CA sales with others. I'm on the list to buy when they are ready to sell, but I will probably know from these boards beforehand ;) , so I can call her to let her know. I'd love to buy enough points to go for 3-4 nights every year!

I was so thrilled to read that there is going to be GCV! :banana: I was in a seminar all day but I went to an Apple store at lunch so I could get on their computer. I must have been a little over excited when I saw this thread because my friend said "I don't know you" and walked away. :scared:

I'll be at DLR this weekend so I will see if anyone there has any more info. I doubt I'll find out anything but it doesn't hurt to try. :hippie:

I'd bet that DVC will have the option to build more villas if the initial points offering sells out quickly. Too many people are talking about DL.

Don't worry too much about it. They are talking about buying the Bonita tower but that's a future thread.

Don't worry too much about it. They are talking about buying the Bonita tower but that's a future thread.
I am glad you mentioned that. We have stayed at the Bonita Tower many times, and it's lobby layout and location are a perfect fit, in my opinion, for a DVC makeover.

I believe that CA RE law prohibits the seller from accepting $$ until the improvements are complete (or a bond has been posted to make sure that there is $$ to complete them). As a result, I would not expect any sales to begin until 2009.

-- Suzanne

If this is true, I bet Disney posts a bond, and starts selling relatively soon.

This news has been a West Coast bombshell, and will bring Florida DVC Resort sales to a grinding hault at the Disneyland Resort.
Many West Coast residents will simply wait for Grand Californian sales to start, since they primarly visit the Disneyland Resort. Sales have far surpassed projections in California for DVC, I do not think they will tolerate a drop off of sales here for long. Remember, the compensation for DVC guides is primarely comissions.

I seriously doubt that this will happen. The Bonita tower is several decades old. It will be a hard sell to convince members to purchase a property that will be over 80 years old in 2059.

Disney has over 60 acres behind the Paradise Pier hotel. This property which is now a parking lot is already zoned Hotel/Resort/Timeshare according to the Anaheim Resort General Plan. My bet is the next west coast DVC will go there.

Since the preview room at DLR is going to be remodeled I think it's a given that DVC plans to sell points to the general public. Otherwise, why go to the hassle of filing permits and the expense of the remodel?

Maybe they will open the sales initially to existing members and new members buying at DL. Not sure if they can do that but it seems that new members should have the opportunity to buy GCV points.

Yes, we will be able to see the points chart before purchasing. Since it is a real estate transaction, and the points are what you are buying, California full disclosure law requires that they disclose all information related to the purchase before the sale can be finalized.

By projecting a small number of rooms (50) the DVC will only need to convert a small number of rooms in the existing building to meet the requirement for a certain percentage of the construction to be completed.

I think this is why the initial number is low.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I read an article that stated GCV contracts will sell for $16,700 with annual fees around $600.

So, with 160 pt minimum purchase, that's a little over $104 per point.

Here's the article if you want to read it.
http://www.ocbj.com/article.asp?aID=82537391.9528751.1529008.6915878.1545878.165&aID2=117607

Thanks for the article link Disney-super-mom. I think we should probably take it with a grain of salt. The Disney Press release (which I am sure they used to write this story) has a section explaining Disney Vacation club. it states that the minimum buy in for the Disney Vacation club is "$16,700, plus annual fees that average $600". (This is what AKL retails for right now) I think the writer was making assumptions based on that phrase that this is what GCH will be offered at.

DVCers have not been permitted to use points to stay at any resort that has a DVC tied to it. Since the GC in DL will not be offering very many units, and because it is likely to be booked before the 7 month window, I would hope that DVCers would still be able to book non-DVC rooms in the GC. I really want to stay there, but it's probably unlikely that I would be able to after the DVC units open (unless I purchase points there). Anyone else concerned about not being able to stay at the GC once DVC opens there?

I am glad you mentioned that. We have stayed at the Bonita Tower many times, and it's lobby layout and location are a perfect fit, in my opinion, for a DVC makeover.

They would have to or do something similar since they are so land constrained over there.

Well, I'd think that with such a small number of units to sell, it would be totally unnecessary to raise the minimum.

or totally unnecessary to bother with additional paperwork/closing costs for smaller units...why sell 150/160 points in 25 point increments when you can get it done more efficiently with a larger one?
:idea: of course, jik anyone's listening here:rolleyes1 ; it would sure be a nice good faith gesture to keep the status quo! Probably even entice more of us to check it out & then add more, resulting in expansion!

Thanks for all the news I missed yesterday! Can't wait to hear the cost details and point charts.

or totally unnecessary to bother with additional paperwork/closing costs for smaller units...why sell 150/160 points in 25 point increments when you can get it done more efficiently with a larger one?
:idea: of course, jik anyone's listening here:rolleyes1 ; it would sure be a nice good faith gesture to keep the status quo! Probably even entice more of us to check it out & then add more, resulting in expansion!

I do see your point, but I bet they realize that for most people DL resort is only a weekend or long-weekend stay - maybe 4 or 5 days at the most, so there won't be an overwhelming need for most people to buy large contracts there. Another thing to consider is that current DVC owners buying add-ons are probably their easiest sale, in terms of time and effort spent (I mean we're like fish jumping into the net - how many of us have already called our guides? raising my hand, lol), and if they raised the minimum too high they'd likely lose a lot of easy catches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter