The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

We board our cruise in Quebec City (not on Disney) on Oct 8, but we don't actually sail until the 9th at 8 PM. On the 8th, our plan is to board, have lunch and then go back out to explore. I realize that this will be Canadian Thanksgiving. Will anything even be open in the port area? Also, how will that affect taxi availability that morning for getting to the pier?

We board our cruise in Quebec City (not on Disney) on Oct 8, but we don't actually sail until the 9th at 8 PM. On the 8th, our plan is to board, have lunch and then go back out to explore. I realize that this will be Canadian Thanksgiving. Will anything even be open in the port area? Also, how will that affect taxi availability that morning for getting to the pier?

Pretty much everything will remain open except for Court, Banks (however, you will still have access to ATMs) and Post Office. I don't think you'll notice a difference when it comes to taxi availability.

The website states the last transfer from Montreal would be at 900 am. Unless you can find a red eye into Montreal it would mean spending the night at a hotel near the airport. American has flights from Philly to Quebec...Just another option if you can connect in Philly. I've found most major carriers have one flight into a Quebec and it's usually a smaller plane.
The plan was to get the last flight into Montreal the day before the cruise. To fly out of PHL doesn't work anyway since it would have to be the day before since the American flight to Quebec City is at 1:10pm meaning it gets in too late for the cruise and to fly in the day before means missing work since American is in the middle of the day. And again, it's more expensive than flying direct into Montreal (almost double the price per person).

I'll be calling DCL at some point since I'm in the minority that would have a cheaper and more convenient to fly into Montreal I was just curious if anyone else had already heard from Disney.

The plan was to get the last flight into Montreal the day before the cruise. To fly out of PHL doesn't work anyway since it would have to be the day before since the American flight to Quebec City is at 1:10pm meaning it gets in too late for the cruise and to fly in the day before means missing work since American is in the middle of the day. And again, it's more expensive than flying direct into Montreal (almost double the price per person).

I'll be calling DCL at some point since I'm in the minority that would have a cheaper and more convenient to fly into Montreal I was just curious if anyone else had already heard from Disney.
Its definetely cheaper for us too. Let us know the transfer price.

I have a few questions for those that live or travel frequently to Quebec City...Looking for hotels close to the port area and would prefer a Marriott chain hotel (just my preference)....the two that come up are - Quebec City Marriott Downtown (on Place D'Youville) and the Courtyard Quebec City (on des Rocailles). I am travelling with a mobility impaired senior who uses a walker and I have heard that some streets are cobblestone....which hotel would be better in terms of ease of getting to the Port and finding somewhere for dinner (flying in the day before our cruise)....also, should I brush up on my french (haven't used it since high school)? Thanks in advance.

I have a few questions for those that live or travel frequently to Quebec City...Looking for hotels close to the port area and would prefer a Marriott chain hotel (just my preference)....the two that come up are - Quebec City Marriott Downtown (on Place D'Youville) and the Courtyard Quebec City (on des Rocailles). I am travelling with a mobility impaired senior who uses a walker and I have heard that some streets are cobblestone....which hotel would be better in terms of ease of getting to the Port and finding somewhere for dinner (flying in the day before our cruise)....also, should I brush up on my french (haven't used it since high school)? Thanks in advance.

I'll get back to you regarding the Hotel.

I just want to mention that there is another problem with Quebec when it comes to mobility is that Old Quebec is full of hills! If you are not used to it, it is quite a work-out!

I believe that Quebec people speak a little more french than they use to especially if you stick to the Old Port but it doesn't hurt to have a little refresh. At least to be able to ask "Parlez-vous anglais?" :)

Just to update everyone I did call and Disney hasn't set prices for transfers from Montreal.

Alright, I said I'd get back to you regarding the Hotel...

First of all, a friend of mine stayed at the Courtyard and while it is a good hotel, it is not close from the port/from the Old Quebec (a 15-20 minutes car ride). She says they offer a "tour bus" but they charge something like 50$. In my opinion, a cab would be a better option.

My boss stayed at the Quebec City Marriott Downtown recently and said he liked it. The location is great. The street is not cobblestone. If I remember correctly, only certain parts of the Old Quebec are cobblestone... However, you don't have to walk on it, there are sidewalks. I think it's doable.

My personal choice between those two would definitely be the Marriott Downtown.

By the way, group... There is a lot of movement regarding the price of the flights in Quebec. There are a lot of rumors saying that Ultra Low Cost are coming to Montreal and Quebec and apparently, Air Canada is talking about lowering their prices for regional flights.

I think we'll have great news soon.

I'll get back to you regarding the Hotel.

I just want to mention that there is another problem with Quebec when it comes to mobility is that Old Quebec is full of hills! If you are not used to it, it is quite a work-out!

I believe that Quebec people speak a little more french than they use to especially if you stick to the Old Port but it doesn't hurt to have a little refresh. At least to be able to ask "Parlez-vous anglais?" :)

Alright, I said I'd get back to you regarding the Hotel...

First of all, a friend of mine stayed at the Courtyard and while it is a good hotel, it is not close from the port/from the Old Quebec (a 15-20 minutes car ride). She says they offer a "tour bus" but they charge something like 50$. In my opinion, a cab would be a better option.

My boss stayed at the Quebec City Marriott Downtown recently and said he liked it. The location is great. The street is not cobblestone. If I remember correctly, only certain parts of the Old Quebec are cobblestone... However, you don't have to walk on it, there are sidewalks. I think it's doable.

My personal choice between those two would definitely be the Marriott Downtown.

Thank you sooooo much for your responses. I just booked the Quebec City Marriott Downtown. I will try to brush up on my french before our trip...

By the way, group... There is a lot of movement regarding the price of the flights in Quebec. There are a lot of rumors saying that Ultra Low Cost are coming to Montreal and Quebec and apparently, Air Canada is talking about lowering their prices for regional flights.

I think we'll have great news soon.

Thanks for tips....will keep my eyes peeled for any deals...

I am shopping flights from the Quebec city airport to Cleveland. I've found one that seems reasonably priced, has a single layover in Newark, and returns to CLE in the afternoon. It fits our travel plan but with one potential issue: it departs YQB at 11:15 am. We are using Disney transfer from the port to YQB & Disney recommends scheduling flights that leave at 12 pm or later.
Any experience with leaving this port for a flight before noon? Or thoughts? Thank you!

I am shopping flights from the Quebec city airport to Cleveland. I've found one that seems reasonably priced, has a single layover in Newark, and returns to CLE in the afternoon. It fits our travel plan but with one potential issue: it departs YQB at 11:15 am. We are using Disney transfer from the port to YQB & Disney recommends scheduling flights that leave at 12 pm or later.
Any experience with leaving this port for a flight before noon? Or thoughts? Thank you!

At what time does the ship dock? (The port is about a 20 min ride from the airport).

I haven't with this particular location but I do have some experience with having flights earlier than Disney suggests (due to flight rescheduling) while also having airport transfers with Disney. My flight was at 10:30am and Disney recommended 12:30pm (this was Copenhagen a year or two ago). Your reservations page will tell you what time they dock if you go to 'My Reservations' and click 'View Details' on their website. From what I can tell by looking up cruises that end in Quebec City it looks like (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the cruise spends a day docked in Quebec City before you actually disembark. This should make things easy since the ship should have already cleared customs the day before (if for some reason they have to clear customs again you should not be delayed too much given the ship is already there) meaning if you have an early flight you should in theory be able to get off with your luggage (this won't necessarily work if you have them transfer your luggage) as soon as they are allowing people to disembark and get their transfer to the airport with plenty of time. Usually on cruises where they get into the port at 7:30-8:00am they are letting people off before 8:30 which means you could estimate to arrive at the airport by 9:00am. I did it and made it through with an hour to sit in the airport but my experience may not be the norm.

I don't want to lead you astray given that Disney must recommend the 12:00pm departure (though I actually failed to find the NY -> Quebec City times on their website, just those heading Quebec City -> NY) so I would suggest calling them, especially if when you check your itinerary you have a day in Quebec City before you actually disembark. Hopefully they will be able to provide you with the assistance you need.

Really it comes down to using your best judgment. I was very concerned we wouldn't make our flight and was relieved when it worked out but to miss it would have probably cost me.

Through my research I found that Quebec port has a baggage storage until 5pm. I thought I'd mention this for anyone with a later flight. I'm looking at a flight that leaves at 4pm. I've flown home from PC on a 1030 flight many times. We do express check off and are at the airport by 830. I wouldn't hesitate to do it from Quebec. I wish I could find an earlier flight. Since the ships overnights in Quebec it should be easy to be off the ship early.

I see that the ship docks in Quebec City the day before disembarkation. With the dock being as close as it is to the airport, I will likely go ahead and plan for the 11:15 departure.

Through my research I found that Quebec port has a baggage storage until 5pm. I thought I'd mention this for anyone with a later flight. I'm looking at a flight that leaves at 4pm. I've flown home from PC on a 1030 flight many times. We do express check off and are at the airport by 830. I wouldn't hesitate to do it from Quebec. I wish I could find an earlier flight. Since the ships overnights in Quebec it should be easy to be off the ship early.

Oh there's an overnight? I wouldn't worry too much then. Carry your own luggage and do the express check-out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter