*** The Official September 2018 Thread *** let's get started to have some fun

So after countless HOURS of searching, looks like I can rent Hertz full size for $338.00 (13 days) AAA pre-pay

Only $12.00 more than Alamo. Can still pick a car and my spouse is added automatically and free.

Should I pull the trigger for $338.00 ( I was happy to pay $316) to be done with it all?

So after countless HOURS of searching, looks like I can rent Hertz full size for $338.00 (13 days) AAA pre-pay

Only $12.00 more than Alamo. Can still pick a car and my spouse is added automatically and free.

Should I pull the trigger for $338.00 ( I was happy to pay $316) to be done with it all?
That's not bad at all actually. Can you pick a full size SUV?

That's not bad at all actually. Can you pick a full size SUV?

I guess if one is available in their 'aisle'

$379 for 'passenger standard' SUV

We are all regular sized adults flying in at different times. I am the 'shuttle' driver so my luggage will be the only luggage when I pick up the car. DH flies in later the same day. DD and DSIL will be picked up the next day. Good thing I love airport arrivals and departures.

FYI, Budget and National/Enterprise allow spouses to drive rentals that the other spouse rents.

A little late to the party here, but I'm finally official! Will be going September 19-26. I finally pulled the trigger on a flight earlier this week. Usually I'm looking at least $500 to fly. They had a flight for $300 and I only had to shave one day off my reservation! Booked my FP's last Saturday and made a few dinner reservations this week. Nice to have something to look forward since time off this summer wasn't in the cards!

National was so outrageous that it could not be considered. CRAZY high on every site (KAYAK, National, Undercover Tourist, BJs (like COSTCO) - double in every category in almost every case but always at least $200 more.
Yeah, they do tend to have high rates. I am an Emerald Club member and we use them exclusively for work trips so I am biased.
When I'm traveling for leisure, we typically use Budget. They have he aisle as well where you can pick your own vehicle (last time we ended up with a Dodge Durango and paid for a mid-size car, so I'm partial to them.)

Got our DME tags in the mail today! Disney mail is always the best ::yes::
They did only send us 3 tags (one for each of us) so I had to call and request more since I definitely take advantage of the 2 free checked bags with SW.
Got our costumes together for MNSSHP today too. So excited things are finally starting to come along :D

Oh that is great to hear...I was wondering when I would get the DME tags. I swear in previous years I usually get them not long after I make the DME reservation (which was in March). But that gives me hope that next week I will get mine :)

Last edited:
The driving vs flying debate always come up in our house. I like having our car, but there are only 3 of us, so flying isn't bad. We normally don't spend more than $600 RT for all of us. Once you factor in the dang resort parking fees it's too close to go through the 10-12 hour drive there. Especially when we can leave in the evening and get there without everyone missing work and school. I won't do any middle of the night driving.

Yeah, they do tend to have high rates. I am an Emerald Club member and we use them exclusively for work trips so I am biased.
When I'm traveling for leisure, we typically use Budget. They have he aisle as well where you can pick your own vehicle (last time we ended up with a Dodge Durango and paid for a mid-size car, so I'm partial to them.)

I posted my final rental car story on the Transportation board:

DONE! party:

A colleague mentioned HERTZ AAA always includes all members (spouse).

AAA hadn't been great with other discounts ( a few dollars here and there) so my hopes were not high. Alas, I was able to secure a Full size (minimum guarantee for 4 doors) for 13 days at MCO for $338. Prepay. Would I prefer not to prepay > Of course.

Do I want to spend one more minute of my life chasing down codes, contracts, coupons, discounts, comparisons, terms > NO! :badpc:

They have an aisle-like service so I can still play pick-the-model/color. Maybe, I'll get an SUV. :cheer2:

Could the rates go down > sure. But I was content with my $316 for Alamo before the whole spouse extra hoopla. Will I know? No way - my rental shopping for this trip has concluded. Looking forward to my name on the LED board. Thrilled there will be no pressured upsell - I have a Sunpass and excellent auto insurance. I can pay off the charge before we even leave.

So happy to be DONE. :cool1:

Thanks to all that participated in this journey. :disrocks:

So I cheated a little - ordered our AP MB to be shipped: They have arrived.

Who else is really waiting for the box of MBs for their September trip? I know I am - it will mean it is finally almost here.
I get two this trip due to a split stay and I feel like they need to be here already. Ordered a gift card to use for food with house sitting money I got recently - maybe that arriving will help the waiting

So I cheated a little - ordered our AP MB to be shipped: They have arrived.

Who else is really waiting for the box of MBs for their September trip? I know I am - it will mean it is finally almost here.

We're only getting an MB for my daughter this time. I customized it to say BDAYGIRL on the inside. :)

I declined the others, as we have our AP ones already and my collection is getting too big.

We're only getting an MB for my daughter this time. I customized it to say BDAYGIRL on the inside. :)

I declined the others, as we have our AP ones already and my collection is getting too big.

For this trip with my DD who I haven't seen in 2 years and hasn't been to WDW in 7 years and for my brand new SIL who hasn't met WDW or us, I want to see the box with all of our names together. :goodvibes

But, yeah, my drawer is getting too full.

Oh that is great to hear...I was wondering when I would get the DME tags. I swear in previous years I usually get them not long after I make the DME reservation (which was in March). But that gives me hope that next week I will get mine :)
Same! I always got them months ahead of time very soon after I added DME (obviously, not this year). I'm sure yours will arrive soon :)

We also live in GA and drive overnight. It's about 7 hours for us with a few stops to stretch our legs. We leave the night of sept 5th, I guess it's actually the 6th but we leave at 2 am so the kids and wife sleep while I drive. I plan on coming home at 6 and getting in the bed till 1 am. Were doing the 6th - 16th and have parks every day. Glad I'm not the only crazy one that likes to drive overnight but you can't beat the empty roads!

Empty roads are the best! Last year, we got up and checked out and then drove home. NEVER AGAIN! With traffic and 3 kids having to potty every 5 minutes, an 8 hour drive took us 14 HOURS! This time, we plan on checking out then hitting the parks till about 7 and drive home. Our arrival day, we are going to EMH at MK at 8:00am, should be arriving in Orlando around 5-6am. LOL! We do the parks every day as well. What part of GA are you from? We're in Cleveland!

We're from UK so we don't get our MB's until we check in at the hotel. I've heard that you can use your MB to check in for ME though, so I'll be bringing one of our old ones to use for that so we don't have to go to the desk.

Empty roads are the best! Last year, we got up and checked out and then drove home. NEVER AGAIN! With traffic and 3 kids having to potty every 5 minutes, an 8 hour drive took us 14 HOURS! This time, we plan on checking out then hitting the parks till about 7 and drive home. Our arrival day, we are going to EMH at MK at 8:00am, should be arriving in Orlando around 5-6am. LOL! We do the parks every day as well. What part of GA are you from? We're in Cleveland!
We’re in Winder. We drive past and sometimes through Cleveland a lot. We like the shops and we go to Goats in the roof and Dillard house too much lol

DVC = no parking fees
Packing as I go = YES
Packing whatever the heck I want = priceless
Agree. We used up all our points and are staying value this time:scared1: I am bringing my coffee pot, toaster, etc:rotfl:Even though I have to pay to park this time, I still love driving. If the buses are slow and I have an ADR, just hop in the car and go. If there’s a hurricane like last year, I can leave early or late and not worry about flight cancellations. We drive almost 16 hours once or twice a year. Just leave around 9pm and drive all night when there’s no traffic. With gas stops, and food breaks we get to Disney around 2-3 pm. I love the flexibility of leaving when er I want, having my car, packing whatever I want.

We are from the other Cleveland (OH), it’s almost 16 hours. We always drive overnight on the way down once we saw the difference having no traffic makes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter