The Official What's For Dinner thread:Thursday 1-24-08? Recipe finder in OP. Enjoy! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wendie -- Glad to hear from you! I'm sorry your recovery is going slow, but hopefully, once you are through it, your wrist won't bother you any more.

Kathy -- I hope you are doing okay today. I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

Becky is posting pictures of dinner later...we had roast beef, gravy, roasted potatoes, asparagus and eggplant sticks. I think the eggplant might have been old, though (Mom never throws anything away!!) because the sticks were a little bitter.

I was SO proud of Caili yesterday. As usual, I was a nervous wreck, and she was completely calm. Not that she is lacking in self-confidence, but these competitions are certainly an esteem-booster. Everyone, even girls from other rinks, was telling her how beautiful she looked and how great she skated. The money and the hours spent freezing in the rink are worth it on days like yesterday.

Yeah Caili! Becky thank you for sharing your pics!

Laura, your daughter is beautiful and so are you! God Bless!

Kathy, How are you doing my friend?

Nancy, Glad the computer is fine.

Sheryl, Welcome back! Be sure to tell us all about F&W...I am heading out on Sat!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: It sounds like you guys had a blast! Here are some pics from the bathroom, which is now turning out to be a new laundry room and family room! Tom is finding alot of things he wants to fix.

Bathroom before:

102607018.jpg

Laundry room on left and bathroom on right (taken from family room). Tom framed out the wall. The door is to what was the laundry room...see the washer and dryer...and bathroom was on the other side of what was a wall:

102607084.jpg

Tile (I can't rotate this to be the right way):

102607078.jpg

Had to throw this in. Riley's haircut...thanks Aimee for the tips. He looks really cute but won't sit still for a pic (New shirt OldNavy clearance :) ):

102607058.jpg

Glynis and Janice this is the french toast recipe. You can obviously play around with the bread choice. It isn't the fanciest baked french toast I've ever made, but my pickiest eater likes it and sometimes that is good enough. And, to be honest, I love french toast too so I enjoy making it different ways.

Pecan Pie French Toast

12 slices bread (can use cinnamon, white, wheat, etc)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 stick butter
½ cup brown sugar
Cinnamon (if you don’t use cinnamon bread)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Put butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and heat just to boiling, stirring to combine as butter melts. After the mixture reaches boiling, stir in pecans and remove from heat.

Mix eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl. Dip half of bread in mixture and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon if you didn’t use cinnamon bread. Place a spoonful of the filling on the bread. Dip the remaining bread in egg mixture and make a sandwich with the other bread on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until toasted.

I sprinkle mine with powered sugar, but if you want it more moist or sweet, you can top with syrup.

Sounds amazing! I can't wait to try this one!

This is such a cool thread!:thumbsup2 Thank you Lindsay for keeping it up. I've been in such a cookng rut lately and this thread is going to help me snap out of it. :)

Welcome to our little family! We love chatting (guess you probably figured that out, huh?), and sharing our recipes! Jump right in, the cooking's fine!!!

It has been an incredibly exhausting weekend here! I don't know if I told you all, but last spring, we removed a cherry tree from our yard (by our driveway) and dug out enough square footage to pour a cement pad to park our popup trailer on. Well, the hole was dug, the gravel was there, and we had the cement all lined up, and then for 3 weekends in a row we had storms. Ick!!! I was positive that I would not see cement poured this year!

Well, on Thursday, we decided to order the cement for Saturday. The weather was going to be nice, and Alan's brother would be around to help him with it. At 7:00 in the morning, the truck arrived and started dumping cement! While Alan, Victor and his kids all worked the cement, I fixed breakfast for everyone. I made cinnamon french toast bake, scrambled eggs, fried oatmeal, and sausage for everyone. They all worked so hard, and by 1:00, they were done, and it looked great!!! I'm so excited about it!!!

Once that was done, and Alan got cleaned up, we loaded up the kids in the car and headed to Pumpkinland for our yearly tradition of pumpkin picking, and corn maze attempting! Before we got there, we had to stop at one of Alan's clients house to try to get some money from him. He owes us 4000 dollars, and it's hard to get anything from him. Alan had to deal with him for about 45 minutes before he coughed up a check for 500 dollars. Not what I was hoping for, but at least it's something.

The pumpkin patch was fun, but a little cold. The kids did get their pumpkins, and we'll be carving them Tuesday night. We also picked up a golden chain tree to plant in the front yard. I love those trees, and I'm excited to see if it will do well.

We hurried home, grabbed a bowl of soup, and ran to a neighbors house for a Halloween party. The kids were excited to wear their costumes, and I was excited for some adult conversation. We literally carried the kids home last night, and fell into bed. I can tell I overdid it, though, since I have a raging headache!!!

Luckily for me, Alan agreed to make dinner. He fried up some chicken and steamed some broccoli. We broke out the ice cream for dessert, and that was that!

Sounds like everyone had a busy weekend, too!

Riley looks adorable!!!

I had a heck of a day. Worked until 8:30 - 7:30 today. I got a two hour break in the afternoon to hit the mall, though ;) Our church skating party was tonight and we had lots of great costumes there. I went as a prom queen cow. FUN!

I shoveled in lunch while standing up visiting with a teacher so I'm finally relaxing and eating leftover beef fajitas. Still very tasty, 2 days later.

I am going through a huge taco craving right now, so that's what we are having. I am making Spanish rice to go with it.

WFD at your house?

Lauren I had to laugh at "poor" Riley and his old navy shirt. We saw my friend and her dog Lilly she had a chicken costume. My dogs would not like to be dressed up. Minnie doesn't even like the bows the groomer puts in. She almost gives herself a concussion trying to get them out. :rotfl2:

Last nights dinner made certain I never going to buy those premarinated tenderloins again, they are too salty. I made some sauteed cinnamon apples to serve on the side. Those turned out very nicely.

Glynis I hate asking for money even when it's owed to me. I hope that person pays up soon for you. I haven't had fried chicken since the Hoop dee do. I was going to say a long time. I guess a couple of weeks is a long time isn't it?

I think we are going to have meatball pie tonight. I will have to think on the sides.

Don't know if this will help you or not but I have a list of frig/pantry stuff and as I use them I put them on the list. The freezer stuff is on a separate list. When I make my weekly trip to the store I check both lists and it seems to work out pretty well for me.:goodvibes
That is a great idea...I always buy something only to find out i already have it or simply forget the one or two items i really am without. I feel like Mr. Magoo sometimes at the grocery store! :sad2:

Lauren I had to laugh at "poor" Riley and his old navy shirt. We saw my friend and her dog Lilly she had a chicken costume. My dogs would not like to be dressed up. Minnie doesn't even like the bows the groomer puts in. She almost gives herself a concussion trying to get them out. :rotfl2:

I love dogs in clothes/costumes.its really too cute. I have a black lab and he only has one piece of clothing , a red sox jersey! I made sure he had it on ever night of the series..i swear it brought the team luck!

Have a great day everyone!...WFD for me, Greg's at the firehouse so probably just th rest of some frozen fishsticks, baked fries and brocolli for me..

Sheryl Glad to have you back! I hope you had a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear some of the details.

Laura I know you are so proud of Caili. She looked wonderful in the skating costume and it sounds like she did a great job. (Although being from the deep south, I don't really understand how it is judged, I know it is a difficult sport)

Nancy I'm glad your computer problems are over and you didn't fry anything. ;)

Aimee If you have photos, I would love to see what a prom queen cow looks like. :goodvibes

Glynis If I had the day you did yesterday someone would probably have to carry me to bed. I was tired just reading it.

Lauren Honestly girl, I tried to see from the photos what you were describing, but I have absolutely no visualization skills. I'll just have to wait to see the finished pics. The tile looks good though.

Tonight's dinner is leftover creole shrimp bake. I made sauteed shrimp over linguine on Friday night, we went to dinner with my parents Saturday night, and last night I finally made the creole shrimp bake Kenny loves. It ended up just being the two of us for dinner, so there is plenty left for tonight. I'll either steam some cabbage or green beans to go with it.

This is such a cool thread!:thumbsup2 Thank you Lindsay for keeping it up. I've been in such a cookng rut lately and this thread is going to help me snap out of it. :)

welcome2-1.gif
I look forward to sharing reci-es with you!!

Just stopping in quick while dinner is cooking. Jeff fixed whatever I did and I am back! He has something that stops those bugs cold, but I did not know and worried.

I'm so glad things turned out to be minor my friend.:hug:

Kathy -- I hope you are doing okay today. I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

Yesterday was pretty tough but I stayed busy. And I'm proud to say I'm doing very well as a non-smoker - 2 weeks tomorrow!!!!:banana:

Lauren - Riley looks so cute!!!!!!:goodvibes

Glynis - I picture your family as the ideal "All American family". You guys have the greatest traditions, you celebrate your heritage and you really give your kids the full experience of celebrating a holiday!!!:grouphug:

Going to be an easy night - Omaha steaks and stuffed sole!:woohoo:

Glynis - I picture your family as the ideal "All American family". You guys have the greatest traditions, you celebrate your heritage and you really give your kids the full experience of celebrating a holiday!!!:grouphug:

Picture me blushing!!!

Alan and I really try to make the holidays special for the kids. Alan came from such a horrific childhood, and really has no memories whatsoever. He wants more for his kids. My childhood was pretty full of traditions, so we're trying to come up with a happy medium. My hope is that the kids will remember the fun family times, and forget about all the times I scream at them to do their chores, clean their rooms, etc. Hopefully it's working.

I guess I'm like Lindsay today; craving tacos! I'm going to do my lime chicken taco meat, and then let the family decide if they want nachos or tacos. It'll be quick and easy since I let the crock pot do all the cooking for me!!!

I found a cute recipe for a Halloween dessert: Wormy Apple Bars. I think I'll make those for when the kids get home from school. Sounds yummy! If they turn out well, I'll post the recipe!

Good morning! My morning started out rough but I hope it'll improve. I read a snotty myspace comment about me last night that really hurt my feelings (which is actually hard to do!) but it's because it came from family and you just don't expect it from the people you love. Then I tried to catch two lost dogs on a busy road near my house this morning and couldn't get either one. BUT I got in and had an email from a guy that would be a perfect home for Pixie the Stray Shih Tzu and we're meeting Saturday finally. So my mood improved =)

Tonight's dinner will be turkey chili. YUM.

I don't think I shared the pic of us from Barktoberfest a few weekends ago. Here is our family:

47b7ce39b3127ccebda8674027fe00000056108Absmzdy4bt1

Winston is my big guy, Harley is my Shih Tzu, and Lucy is my Miniature Schnauzer. It is a miracle they are all sitting this long. I swear, my house is constantly in a state of craziness due to the three of them (plus Pixie right now!). My sister always says she feels like my house is a zoo when she comes over. They are just everywhere all the time. Hopefully they'll calm down as they get older (they're 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5)

Aimee - What a great picture of you and your family! Hope your day gets better, snotty family comments can be very hurtful.:hug:

Kathy- :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Good for you! I'm glad that you got through that weekend and still remained smoke free!

Aimee- :hug: I am sorry that you read unkind things that were about you. It hurts so much more when family talks before thinking. Your pups are so cute. I am glad to see that you may have a good home for Pixie.

Lauren- I am another who cannot see anything before it is completed. This was not a good thing when trying to design in my home. Thank goodness Buddy has such a good eye, we would have been in serious trouble.

My Kady would love to see your pup dressed up...I am not going to show her because she has tried to dress the cats and that was not pretty :lmao::lmao:

Glynis- Please post the recipe. I thought about you Saturday when I was making Mummy dogs and Mummy pizzas for the kids. I remembered last year and your entire spooky day menu for your kids....lucky ducks that they are!

Laura_ She is so darn cute!

I have to tell you that last nights carrots were not a hit. Okay they were a big bomb! It started when Buddy was trying to choke one down :rotfl2: and wondered what was in the carrots and went downhill from there. My family wanted me to promise not to try to springboard off of any Next Iron Chef recipes and threatened to toss my good orange honey away if I put it in veggies again! Hmmmm.

Tonight is going to be chicken and rice with veggies. We have five guys working tonight and I need to get dinner to them. This seems to be what goes over well and is easy to eat during a break. Des anyone know if you can keep this hot in the crockpot?

I was searching for slow cooker recipes and look what I found http://www.recipetips.com/ They have all kinds of recipes I temporarily got lost looking and forgot why I was there. :rotfl: I had no idea there were so many meatloaf recipes. Ok back to my search

Glynis- Please post the recipe. I thought about you Saturday when I was making Mummy dogs and Mummy pizzas for the kids. I remembered last year and your entire spooky day menu for your kids....lucky ducks that they are!

Well, it is that time again and I do have a spooky menu planned:

Breakfast: Red-eye eggs

Lunch: Worm sandwiches

Dinner: Finger sandwiches, bat wings, goblin goo
Should be fun! All are invited!!!

Here's the recipe for the Wormy apple bars:

1/14 C. flour
1/3 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. butter or margarine, softened
1 can (21 oz.) apple pie filling
1/3 C. granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 box refrigerated pie crusts

Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, beat flour, brown sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Press mixture in bottom of ungreased 13X9-inch pan. Spoon and spread filling over crust. Bake 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon. Cut 1 cold rolled crust lengthwise in half (keep remaining crust refrigerated). Cut into 1/4-inch slices. Repeat with remaining crust. Separate pieces, and toss with sugar mixture. Sprinkle cut-up crust mixture evenly over filling (these are the worms). Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely about 30 minutes. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.

I was searching for slow cooker recipes and look what I found http://www.recipetips.com/ They have all kinds of recipes I temporarily got lost looking and forgot why I was there. :rotfl: I had no idea there were so many meatloaf recipes. Ok back to my search

I've done that so many times before.:rotfl: There are so many websites out there, I found this one on the DIS boards and it's, well let's say unique:

http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter