The Official What's For Dinner thread:Thursday 1-24-08? Recipe finder in OP. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sweet and sour meatloaf was WONDERFUL last night!!! I used ground elk, and it was yummo!!! DH wants me to tell you all that you should give it a try! It's fast (microwaved) and easy, 2 requirements that I know a lot of you have!

Dinner tonight will be the brown sugar pork chops from this thread! It's really cold here, so it will be nice to have a warm, comforting meal. I'll probably make brown rice to go with it, and I'm still thinking about a veggie!

Morning Y'all,

I have Alexis home today. She was up during the night with foot & leg pain, that her Mom had to give her tylenol to get her back to sleep. Then she had nightmares after she arrived here, so I let her stay home. Anyone else's kids have leg or foot pains like that? The doctors don't have a name for it but don't seem concerned.

My DD is home sick too, with a really bad cold/sinus infection/feeling sucky from a root canal. And she insists that there is nothing Momma can do for her, no soup or other food or medicine needed! :confused3 My baby really doesn't need me anymore! :sad1:

Becky, Why I am not surprised that when you do make pasta it is totally from scratch! No machines even needed! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the veggies!

Glynis, Don't you love elk! We've only had it once when a friend got one hunting in Texas, but that is great meat! I don't think we can buy it anywhere though? You are able to purchase it in the groceries up there?

Stephanie, Welcome home! Sorry the marathon wasn't the best.

I going to do something with a whole chicken tonight. Can't decide if I want a comfort meal of regular roasted chicken or something more exotic.

Sheryl- I don;t know anyone who has that kind of pain. Kady says her arm falls asleep and it is painful but that is way different. Your DD just doesn't feel well enough to care if she eats. If she was not feeling so lousy she would have had a different answer, and not needing Mom is not it.

Lindsay- don't feel too badly. I know I can cook (although you can't prove it around here lately :rotfl2:) but my food never looks as good as the pics posted.

Becky, Why I am not surprised that when you do make pasta it is totally from scratch! No machines even needed! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the veggies!

No, no, I have never made pasta from scratch!! I am not that talented! The only pasta-like thing I have made from scratch is gnocchi, and that's nothing like the process of making linguini or whatever. My pasta is usually Barilla all the way!

No, no, I have never made pasta from scratch!! I am not that talented! The only pasta-like thing I have made from scratch is gnocchi, and that's nothing like the process of making linguini or whatever. My pasta is usually Barilla all the way!

Becky, I beg to differ! You are uber-talented! Making gnocchi definitely qualifies as pasta from scratch in my book! :thumbsup2 I mean I used the kitchen aid mixer, dumped in the ingredients, mixed it up. Took out the dough, kneaded it only a minute or two by hand, flattened it & fed it through the pasta rollers. A little time consuming but definitely not rocket science!

Sheryl- I don;t know anyone who has that kind of pain. Kady says her arm falls asleep and it is painful but that is way different. Your DD just doesn't feel well enough to care if she eats. If she was not feeling so lousy she would have had a different answer, and not needing Mom is not it.

Lindsay- don't feel too badly. I know I can cook (although you can't prove it around here lately :rotfl2:) but my food never looks as good as the pics posted.

Nancy, Alexis' Mom had those pains when she was a kid too, so she tends to not worry about it. I've asked Alexis doc about it before & he just said some kids get that. :confused3 But waking her up crying during the night has me a little concerned. DD said her hubby cooked last night, my SIL's cooking though is usually either tacos, or on the grill. Last night it was tacos, but DD said she sort of felt like eating that today & she had canned soup but wasn't really in the mood for soup. I think I'll roast the chicken early & make some mashed potatoes to bring to her, something I know she'll enjoy.

Lindsay, Only occasionally does my food turn out well enough for pics! I even then it never looks as great as Becky's!

Morning all! Just a quick note to let ya'll know we got back safe and sound and made it through the marathon w/o too many issues (heck, we didn't die, so that's a plus) We had a great trip and some great eats! Have no idea what's for dinner tonight. I have to run to the store first. I'll talk more about the trip later, but now gotta go get DD ready for school.

Can't wait to hear all about it, especially the food!;)

Kathy- honestly, it this something you would go to again and is it something that only adults minus Buddy would like. He does like to go to the symphony for their Christmas Concert though, so is this comparable?

If he likes the symphony he'll like CP. Johnny & I loved it and would do it again, but I am a sucker for anything Christmasy. Kyle & Abi weren't impressed. IMO it's not at all for kids, the ones around us were bored. If you enjoy Christmas caroling and choirs you'll enjoy it. The orchestra was amazing.

Morning Y'all,

I have Alexis home today. She was up during the night with foot & leg pain, that her Mom had to give her tylenol to get her back to sleep. Then she had nightmares after she arrived here, so I let her stay home. Anyone else's kids have leg or foot pains like that? The doctors don't have a name for it but don't seem concerned.

Glynis, Don't you love elk! We've only had it once when a friend got one hunting in Texas, but that is great meat! I don't think we can buy it anywhere though? You are able to purchase it in the groceries up there?

My Jacob has pains in his legs and feet frequently! The doctor refers to them as "growing pains." He says that with the bones growing, it can be painful for some kids. It's worse at night, because that's typically when kids are still enough for discomfort to be noticed. We give Jacob tylenol and a heating pad when it happens. It's really bad. On a funnier note, the same thing used to happen to my brother when he was little. My mom always thought he was trying to get attention, so when he asked her what was wrong with him she told him he had a case of "gold brick." The next time it happened, he came to her and told her that his gold brick was acting up!:rotfl:

The elk was a gift from that same brother. He grew up to be quite the outdoorsman! He was a bull rider, now he is a professional hunter/guide. His wife doesn't particularly care for elk, but he knows that we love it, so he gave us about half of the bull elk that he shot last year! I LOVE IT!!! I wish that we could get it in the stores, as I find it has a lot more flavor than ground beef, but at least I know my brother will keep me in stock!

Hey All!

I think my internet is back in better working order...:woohoo:

Stephanie, Welcome back! Can't wait to hear some details!

Sheryl, hope DGD and DD are feeling better...I had pains in my heels when I was younger. I cannot remember what is was called but because I grew fast, my bones were not attached. I had to wear an insert in my shoes for a while. It kinda sounds like growing pains.

What a day...I had the inspector here for the bathroom...again, then I exercised (I am trying to be really good with that at least), I started taping paper down to protect the floor as we tear down the paneling and then the cable guy was here...in the interim, Riley took pride in undecorating the tree I still have up and broken glass is every where!!! I scolded him and put him back in his crate BUT...I guess he ate some candy canes. He's got minty clean breath and pink paws. Gotta love em!

I better go take a shower or else I'll scare even the demons away! :rotfl:

I think tonight will be tuna casserole. DH hates it, but he plays basketball after work until about 930 tonight so he said he would just drive through Taco Bell on his way home.

How someone can find Taco Bell better than tuna casserole is a mystery to me. It's comfort food for me.

Oh - I saw snow flurries today! It was so bitter cold but they were pretty for a brief moment.

Afternoon all--

I missed yesterday, between the phone ringing nonstop, and Ross being sick, it was an interesting day to say the least.

Ross is still feeling a bit icky, though his cough is much better this afternoon. I think that the antibiotics are starting to work, (fingers crossed). His face is clearing up as well from the cellulitis. He actually asked me to cook him a 1/4 of a cube steak, so I was happy he was getting hungry finally. (he hadn't eaten since Sunday). He is still pretty quiet, and didn't go to school again today. He will stay home tomorrow as well, though it is looking like it will be a snow day (or ice) tomorrow. They don't have school next week on Monday or Tuesday either as it is MLK day, and then Tuesday is inservice, so he will be plenty rested.

Good news on my mother....she finally passed the swallow test, and was able to eat mashed potatoes, applesauce and apple juice. (she isn't allowed water, but can have apple juice....does anyone know why that is?) I talked to her for about 10 min today before her voice was giving out, and she was getting tired. I am just so proud of her, she is doing amazing. She will have to have a thoracentisis (sp) done this evening to help remove some excess fluid in her lungs so she can breath a bit better.

Stephanie--Welcome home!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip!!

Becky--Please keep us posted on how Caili does when you hear from Laura!!

Sheryl--I am so sorry that you have a couple of sick girls on your hands. Poor things....and no matter what, we always need our mama's!! Your sil cooks like Kris.....he can make cereal and grill, lol.
Ross has complained of his legs hurting at night once in awhile, and I just always figure it is growing pains.

Lauren--Sorry about the tree, but I did have a chuckle of the thought of Riley with pink paws and minty clean breath!!!

To all the new cookies that have joined us...Welcome!! Join us and jump on in the conversations!!!

Wfd will be Tuna casserole, classic comfort food it is that "tom" here, so comfort food is what I want!

Have a great evening!

I am not that talented!

My dear, your idea of talented and mine are very different, then. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

If he likes the symphony he'll like CP. Johnny & I loved it and would do it again, but I am a sucker for anything Christmasy. Kyle & Abi weren't impressed. IMO it's not at all for kids, the ones around us were bored. If you enjoy Christmas caroling and choirs you'll enjoy it. The orchestra was amazing.

his gold brick was acting up!:rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

He's got minty clean breath and pink paws. Gotta love em!

:lmao:

Good news on my mother....she finally passed the swallow test, and was able to eat mashed potatoes, applesauce and apple juice. (she isn't allowed water, but can have apple juice....does anyone know why that is?) I talked to her for about 10 min today before her voice was giving out, and she was getting tired. I am just so proud of her, she is doing amazing. She will have to have a thoracentisis (sp) done this evening to help remove some excess fluid in her lungs so she can breath a bit better.

I don't know why but people choke on water and other liquids are a little thicker.

I'm glad that Ross is feeling a little better. Good thing he has some time off from school to kick this thing!

Dinner changed. I went shopping and Costco had some chicken Alfredo on sale. I could not make if for that price so that is dinner with a green salad. Kady is going to have soy mac and cheese and chicken nuggets.

We are in for a lousy day tomorrow so I am going to stay in.

I think tonight will be tuna casserole. DH hates it, but he plays basketball after work until about 930 tonight so he said he would just drive through Taco Bell on his way home.

How someone can find Taco Bell better than tuna casserole is a mystery to me. It's comfort food for me.

Oh - I saw snow flurries today! It was so bitter cold but they were pretty for a brief moment.

I'll take Taco Bell over Tuna casserole any day!

Afternoon all--

I missed yesterday, between the phone ringing nonstop, and Ross being sick, it was an interesting day to say the least.

Ross is still feeling a bit icky, though his cough is much better this afternoon. I think that the antibiotics are starting to work, (fingers crossed). His face is clearing up as well from the cellulitis. He actually asked me to cook him a 1/4 of a cube steak, so I was happy he was getting hungry finally. (he hadn't eaten since Sunday). He is still pretty quiet, and didn't go to school again today. He will stay home tomorrow as well, though it is looking like it will be a snow day (or ice) tomorrow. They don't have school next week on Monday or Tuesday either as it is MLK day, and then Tuesday is inservice, so he will be plenty rested.

Stephanie--Welcome home!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip!!

Becky--Please keep us posted on how Caili does when you hear from Laura!!

Sheryl--I am so sorry that you have a couple of sick girls on your hands. Poor things....and no matter what, we always need our mama's!! Your sil cooks like Kris.....he can make cereal and grill, lol.
Ross has complained of his legs hurting at night once in awhile, and I just always figure it is growing pains.

Lauren--Sorry about the tree, but I did have a chuckle of the thought of Riley with pink paws and minty clean breath!!!

To all the new cookies that have joined us...Welcome!! Join us and jump on in the conversations!!!

Wfd will be Tuna casserole, classic comfort food it is that "tom" here, so comfort food is what I want!

Have a great evening!

The doctor won't allow her water because it is to "thin" and it will go into to her lungs. In stroke patients you have to add a thickner to liquids for this very reason. The esophagus is relaxed and doesn't close off so food and liquids don't get into the lungs.

So glad she is eating.

I hope Ross feels better sooner than later.

Wendie - That's great news that Mom is getting better every day! Now let's hope your boy does the same.:thumbsup2

I'll take Taco Bell over Tuna casserole any day!

:rotfl:

Y'all, I am SO hungry! I made my tuna casserole, waiting anxiously for it to be done, and it tastes like cleaner. I can't figure out what is wrong with it! I ate a plate, but kept getting this thought that I was slowly poisoning myself with Clorox so I stopped. It tasted disgusting anyways.

Called and left DH a msg to bring me some Taco Bell. I wish he'd hurry!

Here I am up late again tonight. I got excited earlier because our granite came in for the vanity & the whole thing went in today! Looks great & I was trying to decide on where to put the drawer & door pulls. The sink is not working yet but should be tomorrow! Thinking about it is keeping me from getting sleepy I think!

I decided to do beer can (albeit I used a coke can with lemon & wine) in the oven, with roasted garlic creamed pototoes & southern-style green peas in a roux (for DD & Alexis) and mustard greens for DD & me. Worked my patootie off to get it done early enough to run it over to DD in time to get back home & eat at a decent hour. DD was understanding but still a little bummed that her DH was not staying home to take care of her, but instead was going wait in line to meet Saint's player Deuce McAllister.

The chicken came out beautiful & I wish I had the time to take a pic.

Wendie, So glad for you that your Mom is doing well!

Thanks all for a little insight on "growing pains", maybe I won't worry about her so much. Bob & I will literally be in the role of grandparents for Alexis at school next week. They will have a grandparents Mass & reception for her grade and we will be the only ones who will be able to go. Her great-grandparents on her Dad's side won't be able to go because the grandmother is in dialysis that morning & the other grandmother as moved to Mississippi.

Tonight we are having paninis with salami, ham, and provolone. I can't wait to try my new press!!

WFD at your house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter