The Official What's For Dinner thread:Thursday 1-24-08? Recipe finder in OP. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wendie that is fabulous news!:banana:

My dh is going out tonight after work (his supervisor is getting done) so the kids and I will have pizza. DD has to work at 5:30 and be picked up at 8:30.. not sure how I will manage the pick up with my ds... he's usually out by then and I HATE to wake him (he does NOT sleep well).

Called and left DH a msg to bring me some Taco Bell. I wish he'd hurry!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Here I am up late again tonight. I got excited earlier because our granite came in for the vanity & the whole thing went in today! Looks great

Bob & I will literally be in the role of grandparents for Alexis at school next week. They will have a grandparents Mass & reception for her grade and we will be the only ones who will be able to go. Her great-grandparents on her Dad's side won't be able to go because the grandmother is in dialysis that morning & the other grandmother as moved to Mississippi.

I cannot wait to see it completed! When we did the kitchen over I wanted granite counter tops and I wanted them dark green with the black running through. We spent so much on the cabinets and the appliances that I could not justify the granite at that time and it was the easiest to upgrade later. I am not sorry (too much) but live to see everyone else's granite. Now my sister has black granite throughout her kitchen and hates it :confused3. I just shake my head when she whines :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Don't you love being a GP? It's a shame that Alexis other set is not going to make it to her reception but knowing that the two of you are there will make her day! My DGD other set of GP's are not involved with her and Buddy and I cannot understand how that can be. He says "more for us" but it is a shame really. I think that is why my SIL never says anything to us even when we may spoil the little one. He told my DD that as long as we love her he doesn't care what we do.

Kathy- I just studied your dining review. Yes I said studied :thumbsup2. I had been trying to stay away from them because they make me so hungry but now I have added a few new places to my wish list. We are thinking of getting the Deluxe plan so that we don't have to pay any meals oop but if I keep drooling over the signature restaurants I am in trouble :rotfl:. Kady wants to know when she can tell Pa we want another trip so that she can "plan" with him, she is already trying to decide where she wants to eat..future foodie that she is, and it is killing her to keep it in.

In the meantime she is saving her money (she says she is going to pay for the trip) by moving money from one container to another. That way her Pa won't have to pay so much money :goodvibes He doesn't stand a chance. The last time he teased her about not knowing if he could go to Disney she dragged him into her room, took out all of her purses and told him she would share her money with him so that he could go. The next day he told me to book the Poly so that she could stay where Lilo lives. He's been watching her look for chores around the house so he knows she has something up her sleeve :rotfl:

Morning! Will be back later but wanted to say that I am so excited...tonight we are having fondue! I will serve it with bread, potatoes, broccoli and some type of italian salami...I heard this was good. I'll be using Becky's recipe. If that goes well (you know me and creamy things!), I am going to try Glynis recipes soon!

Morning all. Last night was the Lemonade Crockpot Chicken served with some rice. Tonight will more than likely be our traditional pizza night out. Gives me something to look forward to all day--I think I could live on pizza and beer!;)

Okay, quickie dining review from the past week

Ohana's for dinner. Food was good (not spectacular, but we've eaten there before, so I knew what to expect) Service was bad! I had to remind him that we hadn't gotten our Ohana potatoes (my fav. part), our veggies, or the sauces to dip the meat. Just seemed really chaotic. But we got to see Wishes while having our dessert (which is so yummy!), so that made the evening really nice

Yak n Yeti counter service at AK--actually I was pleasantly surprised. We thought we'd try it b/c it was new. And it was a nice change from burgers and nuggets. I had the honey cripsy chicken and the fried rice. Was really good--however, if Asian isn't your cup of tea, steer clear of here

Spoodles for dinner. Was really good. I really loved the dipping sauce for the bread (combo of olives, pepperoncinis, oil...yummo!) I had the Lemon Garlic shrimp linguinie. It was a huge portion and very tasty. Also had the greek salad and it was really good. I had the panna cotta for dessert, which was also very good. The biscotti left something to be desired though

Rose and Crown for dinner.We had a nice time here even though the patio was very dark and HOT (they had the warming lights on--think hamburger warming lights) We had them turn them off, but I thought my cheeks were on fire it was so hot. Had a nice Harps on tap. Started with the dinner salad with the mustard vinagrette. It was so good. They do offer a stilton dressing as well. I had the bangers and mash for dinner. The sausages were a little salty, but all in all, very nice. My FIL had the Fish and Chips and I couldn't believe the size of the fish fillet.

Beaches and Cream for lunch. I really love the feel of the old fashioned soda fountain. I had a burger and onion rings. The onion rings were to die for. The brownie ala mode sundae we had for dessert was also yummo!

Okay, guess that's it.

Thanks for the dining reviews!

Laura called yesterday and they arrived safely. Thankfully neither of them are sick, so that is a good thing.

Shovan, that beer can chicken (or should I say wine can chicken :laughing: ) sounds really good. Can I have your recipe? I've never made bcc before.

Last night I made more soup! This is an asian soup with udon noodles, edamame, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, ginger, scallions, cilantro, chili paste, and a poached egg. It was yummy:

2201070784_3ebd139fbf.jpg

Tonight I am making a filet for DH. I am also making a couple of recipes out of this month's Fine Cooking magazine (probably my favorite cooking magazine)--macaroni and cheese in individual ramekins, and sauteed mushrooms with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. I am also using up some of my root vegetables to make a mixed roasted root vegetable thing.

Wendie, I am really glad to hear that your Mom continues to improve.

Happy Friday everyone! :)

I decided to do beer can (albeit I used a coke can with lemon & wine) in the oven, with roasted garlic creamed pototoes & southern-style green peas in a roux (for DD & Alexis) and mustard greens for DD & me.

I've never done a beer can chicken before. I thought you had to do it on a grill? Please share the recipe.:goodvibes

Kathy- I just studied your dining review. Yes I said studied :thumbsup2. I had been trying to stay away from them because they make me so hungry but now I have added a few new places to my wish list.

What places excited you??

Steph - Sounds like you guys had some good eats! I had the shrimp linguine at Spoodles too, really enjoyed it.:thumbsup2

I'm not sure if I mentioned last weekend that Kyle was asked to try out for the Louisiana Knights traveling summer team which is mainly for exposure to the colleges. I was kinda happy that he was a longshot to make the team as the up-front cost is $2500. He got "the call" last night, he made it.:scared1: Between this and buying him a car I'm afraid that means no vacation for us this year.:sad1: I am happy for him and told him that we would do whatever it takes to further his baseball career. I may be shaking a can on the street corner this weekend, and oh we are accepting donations!:rotfl:

Good morning everyone!

I don't have time to catch up on what I've missed, maybe I'll get to it this weekend, but I wanted to let you all know that I'm alive. I've been really busy and the next couple of days will be hectic. My family situation will take a lot of time over this weekend and hopefully everything will settle down after that. Keep your fingers crossed.

Anyway, just a quick check in. I'll catch up with all of you hopefully soon.

Last night I made the Chicken Pot Pie Soup and it was great! I tried to look up to see who shared the recipe, but couldn't find it, so ... sorry! :guilty: But, I give a great big thanks to the person that did! :goodvibes

Tonight we're having mexican tortilla casserole. Another low cal recipe I found at sparkrecipes that got good reviews. If it turns out, I'll post it.

Becky & Kathy,

See below for the detailed methods that I've followed for both the grill & the oven. In the oven, be sure to put the chicken & can in a pan deep enough to catch any spills.

Becky, That's what I need, Wine in a Can! :rotfl:

Here's the "recipe" I used yesterday.

Shovan's Wine Can Chicken!

Mix a wet/dry rub of
3 tbsp. cajun seasoning mix
1 tsp. ground rosemary
1-2 tbsp. chopped garlic
lemon zest

In the can (open a coke/beer can & pour out the coke, open the can all the way around with a key can opener)

2 tblsp. lemon juice
half the can of white wine
Add some of the seasoning mix in the can.

Push the lemon rinds & about 5 cloves of garlic deep in the chicken cavity first. Then shove the chicken onto the can. Place the can in a oven safe pan, deep enough to catch the drippings. Roast in a 350 -375 degree oven about 1 hr 45 min - 2 hrs. Until chicken is very browned, skin is crispy. You can check for doneness by cutting where the leg meets the body. If the juices are clear it's ready.

I think this mix was just about the best I've done. I've been using wine, garlic & rosemary for a while, this was the first time I placed the lemon juice & zest in the can & chicken cavity.

Beer Can Chicken

Cooking in the oven is the simplest method. To cook the bird on the grill, use Steven Raichlen's instructions below. Serve with lots of mashed potatoes and a spicy gravy made from a combination of half drippings and half chicken stock.

1 medium whole chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
2 1/2 tablespoons Memphis Rub (recipe follows) or your own rub
1 can (12 ounces) beer at room temperature

Rinse chicken inside and out, drain and pat dry.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the rub inside the neck and body cavity, then rub another 1 tablespoon all over the skin of the bird.
Pop the tab on the beer can. Using a "church key"-style can opener, make 6 or 7 holes in the top of the can. Drink or pour out the top inch of beer, then spoon the remaining dry rub through the holes into the beer.
Holding the chicken upright, push the chicken down onto the beer can so that the can goes into the cavity.
Stand the "stuffed" chicken on a roasting pan. The bottom of the beer can and the two legs form a triangular support. If the chicken is too big and the beer can unstable, buttress the legs with skewers. No trussing or further basting is necessary.

To roast in the oven:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roast about 2 hours until the skin is crisp and the juices run clear when the bird is poked with the tip of a knife. Allow the finished bird to rest before carving.

To cook on the grill:
Set up the grill for indirect grilling, placing a drip pan in the center.
If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium.

If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips in the smoker box and preheat the grill to high; then, when smoke appears, lower the heat to medium.
When ready to cook, if using charcoal, toss half the wood chips on the coals. Oil the grill grate. Stand the chicken up in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan. Spread out the legs to form a sort of tripod, to support the bird.
Cover the grill and cook the chicken until fall-off-the-bone tender, about 2 hours. If using charcoal, add 10 to 12 coals per side and the remaining wood chips after 1 hour.

It's helpful at this point to enlist a second pair of hands. Using tongs, lift the bird to a cutting board or platter, holding a large metal spatula underneath the beer can for support.

Have the board or platter right next to the bird to make the move shorter. (Be careful not to spill hot beer on yourself.) Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
It's easier and safer to pull the beer can out of the bird and toss the beer can into the sink. But for show and drama, you can carve the meat off the upright carcass.

Serves 4 to 6.

Adapted from "The Barbecue Bible" by Steven Raichlen

Becky, That soup looks better than any I've seen in the best Asian restaurants!:worship:

Nancy, The situation over here is very similar. Even if the other grandparent's lived here they may or may not go. Last year they lived 5 minutes from the school, but wouldn't give a definite answer as to whether or not they would go. I left a funeral to attend & they are not there when I arrived. They showed up very late after all the little "performances" by the kids. Both the grandmother & her husband came & brought the the great grandparents, so then she had a crowd of people who looked like they were there for the free lunch only! So I left & went back to the funeral. Argh! This year, a church service is part of the deal & only sandwiches & doughnuts are being served, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't attend anyway! ( Sorry my ugly is showing!;) )

Hi everybody!

Just popping in quickly to tell those of you who are interested that Laura and Caili just called from Lake Placid. She came in first place in her individual program! :cool1: She has two more events to go.

Hi everybody!

Just popping in quickly to tell those of you who are interested that Laura and Caili just called from Lake Placid. She came in first place in her individual program! :cool1: She has two more events to go.

Great job Caili!!!!!!

ice.jpg

What places excited you??

I'm not sure if I mentioned last weekend that Kyle was asked to try out for the Louisiana Knights traveling summer team which is mainly for exposure to the colleges. I was kinda happy that he was a longshot to make the team as the up-front cost is $2500. He got "the call" last night, he made it.:scared1: Between this and buying him a car I'm afraid that means no vacation for us this year.:sad1: I am happy for him and told him that we would do whatever it takes to further his baseball career. I may be shaking a can on the street corner this weekend, and oh we are accepting donations!:rotfl:

Hooray for Kyle! Kathy you know that you are looking at a ball player that is going to get offered some excellent scholarships in addition to everything else that this level of competition offers. I'd give up a vacation in a heartbeat as well. Give him a big :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:cool1::cool1::cool1: :grouphug: from me won't you?

I am going to look into Chefs but I really am interested in the Flying Fish. Is it on the DDP? We are thinking of getting the DXDDP because DH likes to have a sit down dinner every night and was whiny when I did not make arrangements for breakfast. We ended up with a lot of OOP so I think I might just need to pay in upfront and get it overwith. Then all we need to worry about is tip and wine :thumbsup2 and mojitos for Jeff and Risa.

Hi everybody!

:jumping1: GO CAILI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you love Kathy's smilies things????

Becky, That soup looks better than any I've seen in the best Asian restaurants!:worship:

Nancy, The situation over here is very similar. Even if the other grandparent's lived here they may or may not go. Last year they lived 5 minutes from the school, but wouldn't give a definite answer as to whether or not they would go. I left a funeral to attend & they are not there when I arrived. They showed up very late after all the little "performances" by the kids. Both the grandmother & her husband came & brought the the great grandparents, so then she had a crowd of people who looked like they were there for the free lunch only! So I left & went back to the funeral. Argh! This year, a church service is part of the deal & only sandwiches & doughnuts are being served, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't attend anyway! ( Sorry my ugly is showing!;) )

First, I agree about the soup. I saw that and was hungry for some.

Sheryl- let your ugly come through! I don't understand why people will not make an investment in their precious little ones, the return is so much greater than anyone can imagine. They are going to feel it when Alexis runs to you or makes her projects in school for you and they get the store bought card that Mom sends. There is no substitute for time and attention.

Hooray for Kyle! Kathy you know that you are looking at a ball player that is going to get offered some excellent scholarships in addition to everything else that this level of competition offers. I'd give up a vacation in a heartbeat as well. Give him a big :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:cool1::cool1::cool1: :grouphug: from me won't you?

I am going to look into Chefs but I really am interested in the Flying Fish. Is it on the DDP?

The Knights had 29 boys offered scholarships last year, so we're keeping our fingers crossed!

Flying Fish is on the DDP as a Signature restaurant (2 credits), so worth it!:thumbsup2

Hi everybody!

:cheer2: :banana: WOW! That is really impressive, a 1st place!!!! Wooohooo for Caili!!!!!!!:)

I am going to look into Chefs but I really am interested in the Flying Fish. Is it on the DDP? We are thinking of getting the DXDDP because DH likes to have a sit down dinner every night and was whiny when I did not make arrangements for breakfast. We ended up with a lot of OOP so I think I might just need to pay in upfront and get it overwith. Then all we need to worry about is tip and wine :thumbsup2 and mojitos for Jeff and Risa.

:jumping1: GO CAILI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you love Kathy's smilies things????

First, I agree about the soup. I saw that and was hungry for some.

Sheryl- let your ugly come through! I don't understand why people will not make an investment in their precious little ones, the return is so much greater than anyone can imagine. They are going to feel it when Alexis runs to you or makes her projects in school for you and they get the store bought card that Mom sends. There is no substitute for time and attention.

Nancy, The sad thing is they probably wouldn't even notice.:sad2:

I agree with Kathy on FF, it is really one of WDW BEST!! We were there last January with Alexis & her Mom & Dad. Everyone at the table was blown away by the food. And for us down here, who are used to getting really good fresh seafood, that's saying something.

The Knights had 29 boys offered scholarships last year, so we're keeping our fingers crossed!

Flying Fish is on the DDP as a Signature restaurant (2 credits), so worth it!:thumbsup2

Kathy, I didn't know a scholarship was a possibility! Here's hoping!

Dinner tonight is up in the air. Alan is feeling a bit guilty because his work schedule the last week has had him leaving before the kids get up, and coming home long after they've gone to bed. He wants to do something fun with them tonight. We'll see what he has planned. If he can't come up with something, I'll make tomato soup and grilled cheese sammies.

Kathy - Congrats to Kyle!!! What an honor for him!!! I guess giving up a vacation is really worth it in the long run! Tell him I'm so happy for him.

Hooray for Caili!!!! I always wanted to be a figure skater, but never really had the chance. I grew up in a small town with absolutely no skating facilities anywhere near. There was one pond up the canyon that froze sometimes, and my neighbors across the street, had a basketball court that they would freeze each winter, but not enough to really do anything with. Tell Caili how proud we all are of her!!!

Lauren - I hope that you enjoy the fondue! It really is a fun way to eat, and can be very filling!!!

Mine are crossed as well!

Nancy, The sad thing is they probably wouldn't even notice.:sad2:

I agree with Kathy on FF, it is really one of WDW BEST!! We were there last January with Alexis & her Mom & Dad. Everyone at the table was blown away by the food. And for us down here, who are used to getting really good fresh seafood, that's saying something.

:sad1: That is just sad

That settles it, i think I am going to add FF onto my wish list.

Dinner tonight is American Chop Suey and some kind of salad. DH has been eating tomato and onion salad and I have just felt like green salad.

Tonight we are having leftovers from a luncheon we had at work. Chicken vesuvio,potatoes and salad.

Kathy good luck to Kyle :thumbsup2

Caili :thumbsup2 I too wanted to be a skater but I only excelled at falling.:rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter