The perfectly cooked egg

Hard boiled, bring them to boil from cold, cover and remove from heat, for 15 minutes, then run under cold waster.

Soft boiled, bring water to a simmer, gently lower eggs in, simmer for 6 minutes, rinse under cold water.
This is exactly the way to do it. Age of the eggs doesn't matter and your shells won't stick. Too many people actually boil the egg, which is a no-no

As soon as the water starts to boil. Turn the stove off but leave it there for 17 minutes. Than take them out. Equals perfect hard boiled eggs everytime.

Older eggs, add white vinegar to water. Turn off when it starts to boil, let sit for 13 minutes. Put in ice water to stop them from cooking further.

I do notice that when I get my eggs from BJs they are always a pain to peel. Eggs from other places do fine when I do the above method.

The "blow" method doesn't really peel the egg, it's more a way to get a raw egg out of its shell, and keep the shell intact. I do this with eggs in the weeks leading up to Easter--then you can dye the shells and use them for projects. My personal favorite is filling the shells with glitter or confetti, (glue tissue paper over the holes), and then having an egg fight.
We used to do this for Easter with raw eggs and had a great time painting the shells but it works, in a different way, with the cooked eggs too. It just needs a lot of puff.
http://www.thekitchn.com/can-you-re...putting-tips-to-the-test-in-the-kitchn-216455

Someone in the comments also suggests using a teaspoon and running it under the shell - I've had this work before. There's also a suggestion of putting the egg in a glass with a bit of water and shaking it up. I've seen videos of this work too, but never tried it.

HOW TO PERFECTLY HARD-BOIL EGGS.....
(my husband does these very very often for his lunches)
This is the easiest and fastest method.

OP, if you are starting your water on the stove first, and then putting your eggs into hot water, that is what is causing the shell to stick.
Also, once you remove the eggs from the stove, immediately cool them in cold water, even ice-water.
This is what will keep them from sticking when cooking, and then cause them to pull away from the inside of the shell when done.

Start with fresh cold water...
Place the eggs in the pot on the stove.
Turn the stove on Med-high at the most.

Do not use high hard-rolling boiling heat. (will turn the center dark)
Simmer for about 10 minutes. (less time for soft-boiled)
Immediately cool the eggs.
Voila!

Lots of food options out there, certainly if one is bothered don't buy them.
For many people eggs are a relatively inexpensive source of protein.

And that's why I don't eat them. I still buy them because of baking.

My co-worker was raving about this Dash Go Rapid Egg Cooker (see amazon), so we ordered one. DH said it was great (I don't eat hard boiled eggs). Quick and easy with great results.

Its funny this thread popped up today, because I just had a hard time peeling my hard boiled egg this morning !! Its so frustrating! :crazy:

And that's why I don't eat them. I still buy them because of baking.

I eat them if they are in things because it's not staring me in the face, if that makes sense. I don't think about the egg in cookies, just the cookie lol

We used to do this for Easter with raw eggs and had a great time painting the shells but it works, in a different way, with the cooked eggs too. It just needs a lot of puff.
http://www.thekitchn.com/can-you-re...putting-tips-to-the-test-in-the-kitchn-216455

Someone in the comments also suggests using a teaspoon and running it under the shell - I've had this work before. There's also a suggestion of putting the egg in a glass with a bit of water and shaking it up. I've seen videos of this work too, but never tried it.

Learn something new every day! I would never have thought to try this. I did notice that the bottom hole is much bigger than I'd normally make for blown eggs.

Another Instant Pot user here! The perfect eggs, and they practically peel themselves. I had given up making hard cooked and deviled eggs, because no matter what I did, I could never get them to peel. Tried everything. I even bought these things that were plastic and you cracked the egg into them and then you boiled them in this plastic thing...yeah, that was a PITA, and didn't work very well at all, either. With the Instant Pot, I usually do mine for 4/4/4 and they are just how I like them. My hands are terrible, I have very bad neuropathy and my hands and arms are numb and extremely weak, and I can peel the eggs that come out of my IP, with one hand. I've been making eggs every week since I got it! Even if I wasn't using my IP for making yogurt, and cooking dinners, etc, I swear it would have been worth it just for the eggs. Lol.

DH and I managed to overcook another batch of hard boiled eggs last night. :headache: I hate when the shells don't peel off easily. Someday I would like to figure out how to cook them perfectly. I like them when they're just cooked through, not overcooked.

Growing up, when I was sick, my mother always made me a soft boiled egg on toast. Somehow those always seemed perfect, too. I don't think I've ever tried to make one but I might try. Does anyone make these?

What "boil" times work for you? Any tips welcome.

I am pretty good at making eggs otherwise - scrambled eggs, fried eggs, and (not sure I know the right term) eggs cooked in those little cups that go in a steamer. Have never poached an egg.

So, let's hear it, how do you like your eggs and how do you cook them? (Egg haters welcome, too.)

I have the perfect foolproof recipe. It is adapted from Martha Stewart.

Add eggs, water, salt to pan, bring to a boil. Turn off burner, put lid on. Set timer for 13 mins. Check an egg right away, if done, ice water bath right away on the rest.

I have an electric stove so when I turn off my burner for those 13 mins it is still WARM/HOT on the egg pan bottom, as an FYI.

Martha Stewart says to remove from heat but somehow they are not done enough for me. I like a bright yellow pretty yolk.

I have made hard boiled eggs twice this past week, lol.

Last edited:
+10 for instant pot :) I don't even bother with an ice bath. 6 mins on high, then quick pressure release and straight into cold water to peel.

I've heard steaming also works well?

I do believe that the age of eggs has something to do with it. I have used eggs that were 2 weeks old, and eggs just bought, and the older ones all peeled with no problems, the newer ones stuck all over the place. I have an egg piercer, and I pierce the end, put eggs in cold water, cover, bring to a boil. Turn off and remove from heat. Let set for 17-20 min. Pour out hot water, add cold. Let sit for about 5 min. Then add more cold water and peel. I just made 3 dozen devilled eggs this weekend for a get together, and didn't have 1 egg stick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter