The Psychology of the DLR Annual Pass Holder

I just want to know, what are "crowds" such an issue? DL doesn't ever allow the parks to go over capacity, but there IS a capacity.
Since you asked...

To Disney crowds are an issue because they can swamp parking capacity and provide a logistical nightmare for new things like the summer Nightastic earlier this year and the new World of Color next year. So much so that they are considering the unprecedented "ShowPass" idea for WoC.

For visitors they are an issue because

1) they can show up at DLR but be blocked from entering if it is at capacity

2) higher crowds means longer lines and one cannot get on as many rides or see as many shows

3) stress from higher crowds really affects some people - especially if they have mobility or other health issues or have small children that get afraid

What difference should it make WHO is in there?
It makes a huge difference because many SoCal local AP holders behave differently than other visitors and it is worth understanding why. It is easier for this group of people to "sit" for an extremely long time for new shows and rides. That is why DLR has people camping out in the Esplanade for new things like Nemo Subs. I do not follow WDW as closely but I have never heard of thousands of people camping out overnight to ride new rides there.

This is a behavioral difference that reflects on:

1) Easier theme park access for a larger number of people because of the population density around DLR

2) Many devoted followers (i.e., "fans" aka "fanatics")

I mean, DLR chose to offer those two low level So. Cal AP's. They didn't have to. Back when I first got my AP, there were only 3 options. That ultra cheap So Cal Select AP and the "monthly payment plan" is really something Disney offered out of desperation to tap another market of locals...the ones who couldn't afford even the regular So Cal Select pass.

But, prior to that, and even now, So. Cal residents can get super cheap hopper tickets through places like Costco. So, really, it's not like there is a huge money loss.

The truth is, DLR for MANY years was, in reality, primarily attended by LOCALS. It's just the way it was. The DISNEY company is the one who chose to add another park, hotels, and Downtown Disney to make it a "destination", and now that it's working, they're upset about the 850,000 AP holders who have been making up a large bulk of their attendance for the past 30+ years??? Whatever. I honestly don't think Al Lutz knows what he's talking about. If Disney didn't "like" their AP program, they'd change it like that! They are allowed to do that...
If you read the articles you will see that they are working on changing it. It is not that they do not "like" it but that it is having unintended consequences. It is a problem but what many in business would call a "good problem" as in too many customers and too successful.

Just for comparison, they JUST (like yesterday) announced that they will offer a similar "select" pass for ORLANDO locals to WDW...obviously, they feel the AP program is working WELL at DLR, and they are looking to duplicate that over in Florida.
The Orlando area has a small fraction of the population as the greater Anaheim/SoCal population. So the impact will be less.

A crowded park is what the Disney company WANTS. Why would they do anything to ruin that?
Actually Disney wants a profitable park. If they could make the same profit with zero crowds you can bet that is what they would do. If the crowds (or type of crowds) reduces profitability they will work to change that. Anything that reduces profitability they will work to change. That is what they do. They are a business. Nothing wrong with it.

I think Disney trying to nail this down will be like trying to nail jello to a tree. I've been an annual passholder for five years. And we always get the cheapest pass. Early on, when my littlest was a toddler, I'd come down for the day in the middle of the week and pack a lunch. We'd be in and out for the cost of parking. Now, we stay over at least twice a year, one night, sometimes two, on property. We buy meals, souveniers and clothing each time. But then, as now, I would never stand in a line for four hours for anything. (Well, maybe to get some face time with God if he were at DLR for the day. But only if he were wearing Mickey ears.)

I guess I'm saying that I don't think you can generalize AP holders. Each passholder level will have trends. And then within each passholder level, you'd have proximity, ages of children, number of children, disposable income, whether or not they care about crowds, etc. as factors within those trends.
I think that having 850,000 passholders is a scary proposition, but in all the times I've visited the resort this year, we've never experienced a crazy crowd or been turned away from the parking garage. Us guys in the cheap seats can't even go on the weekends, ever, so we aren't a factor in those crowds.

Interestingly, one of the things I've always done to get an idea of crowd levels for my trip is log into the AP part of Disney's site and check hotel availability. If the hotels are sold out, it is usually pretty crowded. When the hotels are wide open (as they are for Thanksgiving this year - we're going the day before), it is a much smaller crowd. I don't know if that means anything, but it's been an accurate predictor for me so far.

I'm curious to see what Disney comes up with!

Tracy

Did you know Disney allows So Cal AP holders to make monthly payments, some as low as $6 a month?

This is why the numbers are jumping. Why would you not pay the $6 so you could go again? I know many people jumping on to the monthly program. The price was raised this year and all my friends still renewed. Their just going to monthly. I have never seen such bad crowds till this year.

This is why the numbers are jumping. Why would you not pay the $6 so you could go again? I know many people jumping on to the monthly program. The price was raised this year and all my friends still renewed. Their just going to monthly. I have never seen such bad crowds till this year.

When you consider the local three story children's art facility (ArtBeast) aimed at the 2-6 year old crowd costs $70/month to have anytime access (9am-6pm), DLR's $6/month fee seems like a no-brainer. Most of the other local (Northern California/Sacramento) children's programs cost about $50/month and that's for a once a week, fourty-five mintue class at a set time.

If I lived close to DLR (anywhere within a 90 minute drive) would I pay $6/month to be able to drop in with the kids any given day or time (excluding block out days, of course)? You betcha! I bet for a lot of families with young kids, the Disneyland annual pass has become the cheapest child-friendly entertainment around.

If I lived close to DLR (anywhere within a 90 minute drive) would I pay $6/month to be able to drop in with the kids any given day or time (excluding block out days, of course)? You betcha! I bet for a lot of families with young kids, the Disneyland annual pass has become the cheapest child-friendly entertainment around.

While I agree with the above, I'm still fascinated by the psychology.

$6/month is $72/year. By all accounts, the huge numbers of AP holders started when they started the payment plan. But whether you pay $6/month or $72/year, it's the same amount of money!

So why the big increase with the payment plan? As I said, I'm fascinated with the psychology of the situation.

-Bob

While I agree with the above, I'm still fascinated by the psychology.

$6/month is $72/year. By all accounts, the huge numbers of AP holders started when they started the payment plan. But whether you pay $6/month or $72/year, it's the same amount of money!

So why the big increase with the payment plan? As I said, I'm fascinated with the psychology of the situation.

-Bob

I really think it's an affordability issue for some. I have mom-friends who choose not to enroll their kids in the $50/month gymnastics/dance/music classes because it's too big of a chunk of their monthly budget. I think paying the $72 fee x the number of people in a family ($288) probably gives people pause. And remember, it's actually a $72 one park ticket in addition to the $72 annual pass add-on. So, for a family of four, you are now talking a one time amount of $576. Not everyone can do that. But many families of four who go to the park for $288 might not mind extending the fun a bit at a time by paying $24/month.

Of course, there's also the excellent psychological angle of the $6/month. That's less than 2 coffees from Starbucks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter