The pumpkin, fall/winter squash and sweet potato recipe thread

I can't believe this thread exists, it is just what I needed!

Here's the problem....I was cleaning out my pantry, long overdue and horribly messy, and found no less than 7 cans of pumpkin pie mix. I did not have time to read this whole thread tonight, but am curious if any of you pummpkin experts have fiddled with any of the recipes that call for 100%/pure/packed pumpkin and instead used the mix, and if so, what kind of measurement. I need to use some of them up, as they will expire soon. I just know that I can't make pie 7 weeks in a row. My family will think I went off the deep end. I know my husband likes it, but not THAT much!:rotfl:

Thanks in advance for your help. I will read the whole thread eventually, but with three kids and a travelling husband, the mix might expire before I get through it!

I can't believe this thread exists, it is just what I needed!

Here's the problem....I was cleaning out my pantry, long overdue and horribly messy, and found no less than 7 cans of pumpkin pie mix. I did not have time to read this whole thread tonight, but am curious if any of you pummpkin experts have fiddled with any of the recipes that call for 100%/pure/packed pumpkin and instead used the mix, and if so, what kind of measurement. I need to use some of them up, as they will expire soon. I just know that I can't make pie 7 weeks in a row. My family will think I went off the deep end. I know my husband likes it, but not THAT much!:rotfl:

Thanks in advance for your help. I will read the whole thread eventually, but with three kids and a travelling husband, the mix might expire before I get through it!

Thanks for stopping by! You've come to the right place. :goodvibes That's amazing that you've got so many cans of pumpkin pie mix. If you need to get rid of some of them, feel free to send some to me. :teeth: :rolleyes1 You can find some great recipes that use pumpkin pie mix in the link below.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recip...archtext=+No+preference,+Easy+Pumpkin+Pie+Mix

Well, the only pumpkin-ish thing I've made lately was...mix one box choc. cake mix and one can pure pumpkin. Pour into lined cupcake cups and bake at 350 for 20 mins.

I thought that made cookies:confused3 I'm sure I saw it on the "cookies from cakemis" thread. Well, I have both of those things and need low fat so maybe I'd better make these:thumbsup2:goodvibes

Thanks for stopping by! You've come to the right place. :goodvibes That's amazing that you've got so many cans of pumpkin pie mix. If you need to get rid of some of them, feel free to send some to me. :teeth: :rolleyes1 You can find some great recipes that use pumpkin pie mix in the link below.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recip...archtext=+No+preference,+Easy+Pumpkin+Pie+Mix

Thank you! I had been on that site, and did not see the search at the top, I was just looking through the recipes, and they were all for the regular pumpkin. My kids love breads and muffins, so I think I will start there! I also think that the brownies and cookies that I saw on here will be tasty some time!

By the way, I think I had a major "Mom moment" shopping at 6 am.. I had the forethought to buy the mix ahead of time, and then forgot to remind myself of it. So I bought it again. Even funnier, I MADE three pies for Thanksgiving? So at one point, I had TEN cans?? LOL!

The Dis'ers here are great!
Have a good weekend everyone!

Ok here is another. It uses ice cream so it would be good for the warm weather!:cheer2:

Frozen pumpkin dessert

1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup crushed graham cracker (about 16 squares)
1 cup crushed gingersnaps (about 18 cookies)
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, slightly softened

In a large bowl, combine the butter and crushed graham crackers and gingersnaps. Press half of the crumb mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 dish.
In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and nutmeg. Stir in walnuts. Fold in softened ice cream. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top. Freeze until firm, about 3 hours.

Pumpkin Pie
- 1 oz. Malibu Rum
- 3/4 oz. canned pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 oz. Kahlua
- 2 oz. with cold milk
Garnish: sprinkle of cinnamon
Mix ingredients in blender with ice and blend thoroughly; Pour into graham cracker-rimmed highball glass and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
nl-pumpkin-pie-r.jpg

Ginger Snap
- 3/4 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
- 1/2 oz. Ginger Brandy
- 4 oz eggnog
- 1 Ginger Snap
Garnish: with ginger snap for dunking
Add Captain Morgan, ginger brandy, and eggnog in blender. Blend to desired consistency and pour into glass
nl-ginger-snap-r.jpg

Pumpkin Divine
- 1 part Grey Goose La Poire flavored Vodka
- 1 part Pumpkin Butter
- 1/2 part Triple Sec
- 1/2 part Simple Syrup
- Pinch of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and ginger
Garnish: Grated nutmeg and apple chip
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add all ingredients. Shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker is frosted and beaded with sweat. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with nutmeg and apple chip.
nl-pumpkin-divine-r.jpg

Today, a friend told me that she makes pumpkin oatmeal. She uses canned pumpkin
and spices. I'd be tempted to add raisins and either walnuts or pecans. LOL.... maybe what I'm really hungry for is pumpkin spice cake. :)

I have pictures of the cocktails, but I don't know how to post them. :confused3

Hmm... have you tried photobucket.com? You upload your pics and can resize them, too. Then just click and copy the "img" under the pic after you upload it. I'mlooking forward to your pics!

Today, a friend told me that she makes pumpkin oatmeal. She uses canned pumpkin
and spices. I'd be tempted to add raisins and either walnuts or pecans. LOL.... maybe what I'm really hungry for is pumpkin spice cake. :)

Yum! Good idea! Pumpkin really is a great cookie ingredient

Hmm... have you tried photobucket.com? You upload your pics and can resize them, too. Then just click and copy the "img" under the pic after you upload it. I'mlooking forward to your pics!

Thanks!:worship: I added them to the post with the recipes. :goodvibes

It's that time of year again.

More Pumpkin recipes!

Pumpkin cookie dip
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
2 (7 oz each) jars of marshmallow creme
1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated orange peel

gingersnaps or vanilla wafers

Cream together cream cheese & marshmallow until smooth. Stir in pumpkin, cinnamon, and orange peel. Serve with cookies.

Frozen Pumpkin mousse
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow creme
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 (12 oz) carton cool whip

a few cookies, crushed for garnish. Can use vanilla wafers, gingersnaps or graham crackers

Whisk together pumpkin. marshmallow creme, brown sugar & spice. Fold in 3-1/2 cups of cool whip. Spoon into bowls. Freeze for 4 hours. Garnish with dollop of cool whip and cookie crumbs.

Can also be a pie. Pour into a ready-made crumb crust. Omit crumb garnish.

Dh picked me up some sweet potaot yesterday....hmmmmmm. what to make first?:rolleyes1

Another cocktail recipe.

Pumpkin Margarita Recipe

2 oz reposado tequila
1 oz margarita mix
1 tablespoon of pumpkin puree

Rub rim of glass with lime juice and apply cinnamon. Put all ingredients into shaker, shake and serve. Garnish with a lime wedge.

I had to give up dairy several years ago, so cook with other
liquids. I don't have a certain recipe for this, but have made
cream of pumpkin soup using coconut milk a few times.
It's the closest I can get to the creamy feel of milk. It requires
using flavors that work well with coconut, but pumpkin
and it's spices (cinnamon, ginger, etc) do.

I'm glad this thread is up.... RIGHT NOW.. RUN TO COSTCO.... RUN, DONT WALK.....

WHEN YOU GET THERE (YES I'M YELLING IN CAP LOCKS).. GO IMMEDIATELY TO THE COLD AREA AND BUY PUMPKIN BREAD PUDDING.

SERIOUSLY!

PUMPKIN BREAD PUDDING AT COSTCO

You will thank me. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter