The Running Thread—2023

Bummer. Do you get entered into the lottery?

I’ve received several emails from nyrr reminding me to enter the lottery. I might just be forgetful, but I do not remember these which made me wonder if they weren’t receiving as many registrants as usual.
Yeah, you get automatically entered into the lottery instead.

At least with Disney you find out it’s sold out right away—this rejection took 2 weeks!

Bummer. Do you get entered into the lottery?

I’ve received several emails from nyrr reminding me to enter the lottery. I might just be forgetful, but I do not remember these which made me wonder if they weren’t receiving as many registrants as usual.
I was wondering the exact same thing! I never remember getting this many emails either. It’s been a struggle not going ahead and entering.

The NYC marathon registration was a bust. I had a qualifying time for a non NYRR race and logged on to submit my time the second it opened. It’s first come first served for non NYRR qualifying times. In Rundisney fashion, I had 3 different devices opened and all had long queue times. I just got notice that all slots were filled and I missed out. 😭

Ugh, sorry. Hopefully you'll get in via lottery. I'm sure you can get another qualifying time. I remember freaking out about getting in my non-NYRR qualifying time for 2022 after missing a spot for 2020. I think I had 4 devices and multiple browsers open.

My T+D was null because I didn't run today.....ice storm has taken out our power (til Sunday, they say--who knows, no estimates yet) and Internet. Yeah for mobile generators and mobile hotspots.

I did take the dog for a walk. I fared better than he did since I had my NanoSpikes on!

I’d take that over the subzero windchills that I have here.
If I had to pick between the two, I'd take the subzero windchills.

Yesterday we got to near 80 F, but it was dry enough that when I ran around sunset the T+D was just 120. Today 50s to 40s and tomorrow 30s. Definitely strange and changing quickly.

I’d take that over the subzero windchills that I have here.
I definitely agree with you. My experience is almost entirely running in the heat and humidity. My one experience with cold was in December in Germany and it wasn't even as cold as you described. The temperature was 39 degrees, but I couldn't get into a good rhythm because my hands and cheeks were hurting.

I am all about the cold run over the hot run. I can dress for the cold and I warm up as I run. But in the heat, well, I melt (and whine a lot)! For this reason I am lucky to live in Michigan I guess. Today's run will be nice and sunny, and 25 degrees. And that is so much better for me than anything 80 and over.

I am all about the cold run over the hot run. I can dress for the cold and I warm up as I run. But in the heat, well, I melt (and whine a lot)! For this reason I am lucky to live in Michigan I guess. Today's run will be nice and sunny, and 25 degrees. And that is so much better for me than anything 80 and over.
I definitely prefer it on the colder side but at least double digits please. I was “fortunate” today that the windchill was in the teens and that was still cold enough that it hurt my face.

Don’t worry, I’ll complain about the heat in due time 🤣. Especially since I’m registered for a half in June 🤦‍♀️

Just wanted to brag a bit because it's been a tough few months; I'm officially 1/3 of the way to my target weight, down 14 lbs! I was about 5 lbs off from my goal when I got my foot injury in late 2021 and got pretty depressed due to some life events so I didn't start picking running back up until December 2022, but I'm on track and feeling pretty optimistic.

Just wanted to brag a bit because it's been a tough few months; I'm officially 1/3 of the way to my target weight, down 14 lbs! I was about 5 lbs off from my goal when I got my foot injury in late 2021 and got pretty depressed due to some life events so I didn't start picking running back up until December 2022, but I'm on track and feeling pretty optimistic.
🎉well done! 🎉

Congrats! Have you been using a specific program like Weight Watchers or something? Or just doing it on your own? This is a big goal of mine for this year, but I'm really struggling.

Congrats! Have you been using a specific program like Weight Watchers or something? Or just doing it on your own? This is a big goal of mine for this year, but I'm really struggling.
I've been going on it by myself with a combo of pure calories in/calories out and doing volume eating. I've been using the app Lose It! for tracking.

The big changes I made this time hoping to get it to stick:
  1. Cutting back on sugar and fried food. I'm kinda loose about this one as long as the calories make sense for the day, but they usually don't. I don't miss too much, it's helped regulate my energy through the day anyway.
  2. I also weened off of artificial sweeteners once I read about hedonic satiation and how that can impact your desire for sugar through the day. Not sure if that's helped or not but it probably doesn't hurt.
  3. Cut back on meat and replace with veggies which wasn't that hard to justify with the price of meat being what it is now anyway. I've replaced with tofu and more beans and mushrooms if they're a reasonable price.
  4. I bought a food scale and I weigh everything that goes onto my plate regardless of how small it is
  5. I try to fill my Apple Watch exercise ring every day, even if it's just a 30 min walk around the block before or after work.
It's kind of a pain to keep up but once you fall into the habit it gets easier.

33F8BF0F-EE91-44BA-8683-220DFDA5235A.jpeg

Managed to make my 100 miles for the month missing a couple long runs. I am one who very much hates excuses but have found that everyone has a different idea of what is an excuse. For me feeling sick or sore is just a bad excuse not to run but some reasons are valid and life happens. This month I got myself a new priority (much better word than excuse and completely acceptable)

7 month old Bailey needed a good home and it’s been nearly two years since our 13 YO golden left us so it seemed like perfect timing to me and my wife. However 53 pounds of energy and no training in her formative months is what I will call a tough fit with the number of hours in a day, but more than worth it

50551A46-FA47-49A9-A1C5-646057AF7017.jpeg

Following up as well here. I went to the Dr today for my elbow. I have both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow. Generally speaking not much they can do except rest it. He gave me a wrist brace and said to wear it for a few weeks. I also got Meloxicam for the next 3 weeks. Will see if that helps.
It’s been a couple weeks and I’m catching up on the thread, hope you are doing well. Do rest it, I have been battling tennis elbow since October because I’m stubborn and don’t give it the rest I should. I was at the point where I couldn’t drink my morning coffee or even pick up my phone without wincing in pain and as soon as I think it feels ok, I go back to overusing it. I got it from pushing too hard to complete a remodeling job (mixing and troweling thinset mortar) after already being overworked. Running isn’t an issue while I’m out doing it but I have found that I feel better later if I use a elbow compression sleeve, I think the constant holding the bent elbow while running is a strain that you don’t think of because it’s so natural. Just a thought if it gives you a hard time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter