The Running Thread—2023

@Dopey 2020 Good idea. I am with you i cant lift my coffee cup to my mouth. I have been resting it and running but yes the bent arm does bother me after. I have some arm sleeves so i think i will give it a try. It can't hurt.

February miles:

*sigh*
post-dopey downer, plus seasonal mood garbage really got/is getting to me. trying to re-group mentally and scrounge up the want-to to get back on any sort of exercise routine at this point. Liift more drops on Thursday for BOD subscribers, and I'm considering trying that because I need something (new?) to get excited about. I don't even want to look at my treadmill right now.

Maurten is now selling a sodium bicarbonate product. I've never given this more than a cursory glance because it seemed like something reserved for short, fast distances, but if Maurten really did figure out the GI distress, that would be interesting at least.

Also, given my previous experience with Maurten products, I'm guessing this also tastes like death.

https://www.maurten.com/products/bicarb

I'm new to runDisney, but I'm gathering that I should share my monthly running totals here:

January 2023: Activities: 11 Distance: 27.95 mi Time: 5:14:54 (includes three 5ks)
Failed 300,000 monthly step goal

February 2023: Activities: 8 Distance: 19.51 mi Time: 3:52:06 (includes a 15k & a 5k)
Failed 300,000 monthly step goal

So how did I get to this place of running less than 30 miles a month and thinking I'm a runner.....

I started running in 2018 with Couch to 5k. At the time, a half marathon sounded impossible so I said if I was ever going to run that far it would only be in Disneyland. Lucky for me, after that there were no more Disneyland races; I was off the hook! 🤣
In 2019 I ran my first 10k race. Then in 2020 I decided I actually could train to run a half marathon which I completed on my own in 2021. I continued casually running, but strength training was (and still is) my main focus.💪
In 2022 I was training for Castaway Cay 5k which I had to run on my own in my hometown because DS got Covid the morning we were leaving for the cruise!😭
After that I continued casually running outside as usual until, in December 2022, we got a gym membership so the past three months all of my runs have been on the treadmill 👍
Now that the Disneyland races are back for 2024 I feel like I have to run it, even though my goals have changed since 2018?!?🤯 Oh well, here we go.....one and done?!?🤷‍♀️

Plan for March 2023: Continue strength training 4-5x per week, yoga 3x per week, run 2x per week (one run this month will be 15k for my Garmin badge) <----- who else does almost anything just because the Garmin or Apple watch tells you to!?!?

I'll try again to get my first monthly 300,000 step badge of 2023.

We're still very much in winter here, but maybe this month will be a transition of getting back outside to run sometimes.

Eventually, I'm going to have to switch my focus from strength training to a half marathon training plan, but I'm currently planning on making that transition in August which will still give me 5 months to get ready for the Disneyland Half Marathon.🤞I'll get stressed and confused and change my thoughts or workout plans a million times between now & then...😅

Keep up the good work and impressive running friends! Here we go March!

February miles:

*sigh*
post-dopey downer, plus seasonal mood garbage really got/is getting to me. trying to re-group mentally and scrounge up the want-to to get back on any sort of exercise routine at this point. Liift more drops on Thursday for BOD subscribers, and I'm considering trying that because I need something (new?) to get excited about. I don't even want to look at my treadmill right now.
Give yourself grace. We have all been there before. Getting into the swing of things post Dopey and in winter can be really hard!

February miles:

*sigh*
Winter's always killer for my SAD too, it makes it hard to get up and move.

I read the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson last year and this has kinda been my mantra through this year's depressive episode:
“The most important words a man can say are, “I will do better.” These are not the most important words any man can say. I am a man, and they are what I needed to say.
[...]
A journey will have pain and failure. It is not only the steps forward that we must accept. It is the stumbles. The trials. The knowledge that we will fail. That we will hurt those around us.

But if we stop, if we accept the person we are when we fall, the journey ends. That failure becomes our destination. To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one."

I'm new to runDisney, but I'm gathering that I should share my monthly running totals here:
Only if you want to. Some people feel like it gives them accountability. Do what you are comfortable with and.....
So how did I get to this place of running less than 30 miles a month and thinking I'm a runner....
......never apologize for how much you run (or don't run). If you run, you're a runner (how's that for logic!)

@Herding_Cats Hope March is better. My goal is to make Puumba my life coach......"You gotta put your behind in your past" 😁

February Running:
52.33 miles
9:59:40 time

Rough month. Getting back into a routine after Dopey. Been rowing 1-2x a week and strength training 2x a week. Trying not to curse Mother Nature and this terrible freeze/thaw, rain, snow sunshine thing we’ve got going on right now. On to March, starting a training block for my half in June!

*sigh*
post-dopey downer, plus seasonal mood garbage really got/is getting to me. trying to re-group mentally and scrounge up the want-to to get back on any sort of exercise routine at this point.

My own running has been super hard since Dopey. My PT grounded me for about a month and the runs since then have generally been rough. The brain was ready, but It was like my body/legs forgot what running was.

Then the 💡 went off. The rule of thumb is that it takes one day to recover for every mile raced. Well, 48 days from Marathon Sunday was this past Sunday. That put things in perspective and it was like, oh, this is NORMAL. Add in the normal let-down from achieving a huge goal, stir in some cold and dark winter weather, and it totally makes sense.

Now that I have some perspective, it's a lot easier to say "this might be stupid hard right now, but better days are coming. One foot in front of the other until then."

download.jpg

February Miles = 113

My 100 miles per month streak was extended to 60 this month. February is always a tough month to get to 100 with fewer days, bad weather and no races to train for but I got there and hit the 5 year milestone. I can't believe the last time I did not run at least 100 miles in a month was February 2018!!

January Miles = 113

2023 Total = 226

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter