The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: I try to avoid running when I can smell/taste the smoke in the air (which is why I’m glad I ran before work yesterday, when there was wind out of the south blowing the smoke back toward Canada, instead of after work when there was WNW bringing it back)

I felt like I was transported to Krypton during my Tuesday run (there are no cloud in the sky in this picture, it’s pure smoke haze)
View attachment 761544
FWIW if you can slow down and handle the increased pressure drop you might try a valved n95 for smoke days, there's a lot of cumulative damage you get from repeated PM10 and PM2.5 inhalation.

I think there's a gap in the marketplace for this, actually with climate change making forest fires longer and more severe. There really needs to be a lightweight, very high surface area, and water resistant PM2.5 filter for exercise.

QOTD:
Do we need to adapt our running for bad air quality?
Anyone else being affected by the Alberta wildfires? We can see the smoke all the way to Quebec now...
ETA: It's not nearly as bad here in the East as in the Prairies. Was wondering if any of our fellow DISers in central NA were being really inconvenienced by the smoke
My coach has us adjust. Colorado seems to be in the thick of things when there are wildfires in Canada, the PNW, SoCal and Arizona. Today is very hazy and I have exercise induced asthma. For now I’m pushing my run to tomorrow to see if the air quality improves.

Her recommendations when it’s this bad is to slow down on runs, and I’ll take more frequent walk breaks. If it’s bad enough I stay inside and use my treadmill.

I also picked up a pair of Ghost 15 to try out! I continue to be disappointed by Brooks' changes to the toe box. My dainty feet can't handle this.
Did they make changes to every shoe they sell? Their Glycerins were my first marathon shoe in 2019 and at some point they made a change that resulted in me needing to go up TWO sizes (i made the mistake of only going up one and just suffered through it) and the heel was higher and causing me problems there. I was really bummed but as a result I switched to Hoka, which might be better for me.

Did they make changes to every shoe they sell? Their Glycerins were my first marathon shoe in 2019 and at some point they made a change that resulted in me needing to go up TWO sizes (i made the mistake of only going up one and just suffered through it) and the heel was higher and causing me problems there. I was really bummed but as a result I switched to Hoka, which might be better for me.
Yeah and they keep changing it Year to year

Every single year, the toe box has gotten smaller. I didn't need to switch until last year. With the Ghost 15 I had to go up 2 sizes and they're still too narrow compared to the Brooks I wore as recently as two years ago.

Every single year, the toe box has gotten smaller. I didn't need to switch until last year. With the Ghost 15 I had to go up 2 sizes and they're still too narrow compared to the Brooks I wore as recently as two years ago.
Try the wides, I had to swap into wide shoes because of this exact issue.

FWIW if you can slow down and handle the increased pressure drop you might try a valved n95 for smoke days, there's a lot of cumulative damage you get from repeated PM10 and PM2.5 inhalation.

I think there's a gap in the marketplace for this, actually with climate change making forest fires longer and more severe. There really needs to be a lightweight, very high surface area, and water resistant PM2.5 filter for exercise.
Thankfully, we don’t get a lot of smoky days here, so it’s easy enough to rearrange the schedule. I could never run in a mask. And if it’s going to be a prolonged issue, there’s an indoor track that could use, but it would have to be an emergency, because it’s 8 loops/mile, which could get really tedious on a 10 mile day 😂

The smoke and haze have thankfully cleared! Today I ran the Women run the Cities 10k, hoping for a PR. I ran the exact same course 3 weeks ago with a 74 sec PR. Well my arrhythmia decided to rear its ugly head when I was in the corral but I went for it anyway knowing it probably wasn’t in the cards. I finished 1 second faster than my PR from 3 weeks ago. My Garmin has my race times as identical. Couldn’t do that again if I tried!

The smoke and haze have thankfully cleared! Today I ran the Women run the Cities 10k, hoping for a PR. I ran the exact same course 3 weeks ago with a 74 sec PR. Well my arrhythmia decided to rear its ugly head when I was in the corral but I went for it anyway knowing it probably wasn’t in the cards. I finished 1 second faster than my PR from 3 weeks ago. My Garmin has my race times as identical. Couldn’t do that again if I tried!
Much better weather for that one this year than last—it was freezing when I did the 10 Miler. I decided not to run it this year because there wasn’t much of a brunch selection left by the time the slow 10 Milers finished, and it’s a bit of a hassle for me to get there.

Try the wides, I had to swap into wide shoes because of this exact issue.

Yeah I already wore a wide size, what I mean is even the Brooks wide (and Saucony wide, which these days is more like a normal width) are now too narrow. I see Brooks now offers a 4E; maybe that's what their 2E used to be. Guess I'll try that.

QOTD: What time of day do you prefer to run and does that change any with the seasons?

ATTQOTD: Usually during the work week I end up running around 6:15 PM ish and during the weekends around 7 AM. The hotter it gets during the summer those work week runs get later and the morning start earlier on the weekend. I really need to just wake up earlier during the week but I like my rest lol.

QOTD: What time of day do you prefer to run and does that change any with the seasons?

ATTQOTD: Usually during the work week I end up running around 6:15 PM ish and during the weekends around 7 AM. The hotter it gets during the summer those work week runs get later and the morning start earlier on the weekend. I really need to just wake up earlier during the week but I like my rest lol.
I generally run in the mornings. If I wait until later in the day, I won't get to it or it will be a struggle to get it in. In the mornings, I can get my run in before any scheduling items get in the way.

I typically wake up between 5 and 6. It takes me about an hour to get up, take my dog for a brief walk, do a stretching routine, change into running clothes and get outside. So I usually start running between 6 and 7. I do run with a light for part of the year. I love this time of year when there is light in the sky as early as ~5 a.m.!

ATTQOTD: I try my best for early morning. Once it’s later in the day I lose motivation or I’ve just got way too much going on #farmlife At least I have a treadmill so if I don’t get my morning run in I don’t have to run outside in the FL super swampy conditions. Right now I get sweaty just going from my front door to the mailbox 😂

During the work week, I like to weight train in the morning when I'm usually at my community fitness center by myself. That way, I don't have to fight over the one bench and the dumbbells that I want to use. Otherwise, it's hit or miss if I go to lift after work. Hence, I run around the same time as you between 6 and 6:30 pm. Likewise, I try to get out early on the weekends to avoid the South Florida sun.

ATTQOTD: The time of day for my running depends on the day. For weekday runs, I almost always run right after work, so I'm generally starting around 5 or 6p. It's not ideal during the summer, but it works better for me than trying to get up early.

The weekend is much more flexible for me. Id said my usual time is mid-morning, so I'm wrapping it up before lunch. I'll move it around based on other things I've got going on, though. For example, from August to May, I work my runs in around Arsenal FC matches. Also, as the summer heats up I try to get the runs done as early as possible within reason.

ATTQOTD: I definitely prefer morning runs on the weekend because it's out of the way and I can enjoy the rest of my day. During the week has normally been after work, though during COVID and 100% remote, I started doing my workouts over my lunch break. Sometimes I'd get up early enough during the summer to get a run done because the sun rises around 5am :headache:. Now that I've joined a couple of run groups, runs are at 6pm, and right now we've missed a few because we're in a cycle of constant thunderstorms in the afternoon. If we can get the run done when it's just raining, we try to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter