The Running Thread - 2018

What do you all do during a maintenance cycle? That time between races when you are not training for a race, but want to maintain a certain level of fitness so as to not start completely from scratch when really starting to train for the next race.
For me a comfortable distance is between 5-10K, so I will typically do 3 runs a week at those distances at my comfortable pace, to just maintain before starting a new training cycle.

Not sure where to be asking this, but.......

Is it a mistake to change a training plan this close to PHM? I’m running all three races. Galloway has been good to me, but I’m bored with cycling through his plans. Higdon plans seem a little better, but I really like Hanson plans. Just not sure where to start. I printed out the Hanson plan and used their calculator to figure out pacing. It’s a lot of mileage per week compared to Galloway. I’ve been doing run/walk, but on yesterday’s 4 mile run I was able to run 99.9% of it. I just don’t want to overtrain myself and get injured.

PHM is ~ 6 weeks out... I think making a drastic change compared to what you have been doing could have some negative effects. At best you could try to add a little more mileage, but I would not over do it, as race day isnt all that far away. Try the new plan for your next event, instead of switching midway would be my suggestion.

I would not do it this close. I just did the Hanson marathon plan to train for Dopey. Their plans are a fair number of miles, and the beginning of the plan, I think, is key in that while you build the mileage, the runs are easy pace. To jump in now, I think you risk overuse injury.

If you're bored (I get it, my switch to Hanson's this time was a "shake it up" kinda thing), why not add in an extra targeted run. You could do some speed intervals or a little tempo work. But I would keep the number/distance short.

I'm sure @DopeyBadger would have good advice.

@Bree I'm in agreement here as well. It's too close to race day to make a dramatic switch in training plans. In general it takes 6-8 weeks to acclimate and adapt to training. You're inside that window now where making a change could lead to more problems than gains. I'd say stick with Galloway until PHM is done (and make sure to stick to his +2 min Marathon Tempo long run (i.e. fitness marathon pace is 10 min/mile, then long run is 12 min/mile), and then look to try something new afterwards. As @jmasgat said, you could look to add one additional targeted run and that wouldn't unbalance things dramatically. If you want some help designing that one extra Galloway style tempo run per week, then shoot me a PM.

What do you all do during a maintenance cycle? That time between races when you are not training for a race, but want to maintain a certain level of fitness so as to not start completely from scratch when really starting to train for the next race.

While not racing, what is the long term goal? To continue to improve race times across the board? My suggestion would be to continue to train as if there is a race at the end of the training cycle. That way when you actually start the next goal oriented training cycle, you'll be that much further ahead. Granted, if you're looking for pulling back a bit without something on the schedule, then I'd focus on long runs in the 90-120 min range and the staying consistent with the mid-week days per week with some tempo/Daniels T/speed thrown in every once in a while.

Look at me.. way behind already.

ATTQOTD (Monday): I have never run with a charity and I honestly think I would feel so awkward fundraising that it wouldn't go well for me. I hate asking people for money.

ATTQOTD (Tues): Recovery is a bit of a mixed bag for me. It also depends on how well trained I was. The biggest/longest race I've ever done was Princess Half last year and the soreness didn't linger as long as expected, but the exhaustion stuck around. I remember riding my horse a couple days later and feeling very weak. As far as running, I was very inconsistent after that for awhile so it's hard to say.

ATTQOTD (today):
Hmm.. don't give up. You can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Run your pace, every person is a different runner with different factors involved. You do what works for you. Have fun. Also, embrace that sometimes it's going to suck. I find that accepting that at the beginning of a run can be helpful.

@LSUlakes @jmasgat @DopeyBadger Thanks! That’s what I was afraid of. Not enough time! I’ll work on adding a little more mileage and tempo runs before PHM. DB - I’ll PM you later tonight about how to fit something in. My next half is part of the First Order Challenge at the end of April. Would 8 weeks between races be enough time to start a new plan? I’ve been cycling through Galloway for four years with a Higdon every now and then and I’m ready for a change!

@LSUlakes @jmasgat @DopeyBadger Thanks! That’s what I was afraid of. Not enough time! I’ll work on adding a little more mileage and tempo runs before PHM. DB - I’ll PM you later tonight about how to fit something in. My next half is part of the First Order Challenge at the end of April. Would 8 weeks between races be enough time to start a new plan? I’ve been cycling through Galloway for four years with a Higdon every now and then and I’m ready for a change!

It depends on what the goal of PHM and Dark Side is.

-If you were willing to make PHM a training run (not race pace effort) and make Dark Side the "A" race instead, then you could start a new training plan now. That would give you enough time between now and Dark Side to reap the full benefits of the training plan.

-If you wanted to keep PHM and DS both as "A" race attempts, then you'd be in a similar situation coming off PHM. You'd want at least a week of easy running post-PHM to recover and then only 7 weeks of training left until DS. Thus, sticking with a similar type training plan might be ideal.

This may be super weird, but ... I kind of just keep repeating the middle few weeks of my half marathon plan.
That way, when I'm ready to start a new plan, I don't have to go all the way back to the beginning, but I'm also not training as if I'm running a race in a few weeks.
That said ... I also go much higher mileage than most on my half marathon plans (I like to go up to at least 12.5 miles for my last long run), so my "middle" is somewhere in the 8-10 range (depending on exactly which weeks I pick).

It depends on what the goal of PHM and Dark Side is.

-If you were willing to make PHM a training run (not race pace effort) and make Dark Side the "A" race instead, then you could start a new training plan now. That would give you enough time between now and Dark Side to reap the full benefits of the training plan.

-If you wanted to keep PHM and DS both as "A" race attempts, then you'd be in a similar situation coming off PHM. You'd want at least a week of easy running post-PHM to recover and then only 7 weeks of training left until DS. Thus, sticking with a similar type training plan might be ideal.

You really gave me something to think about! I could totally make PHM a training run!

Now that Dopey is done, I probably will not run another race until June. However, I don't want to lose everything I built up while training for Dopey. I trained for Dopey under a slightly modified Hanson's plan. I would like to stay in in at least, what I call, half marathon shape.

I have often used a FIRST 10k plan as a break from my longer distance race training. This usually hits now over winter and it has its advantages. One is that I am plan-focused, so it keeps me directed. Two, the distance is shorter (duh), but it has LR of 10 miles, so close to half. Since it is 10k, the paces are a little faster, which can be a challenge--but not a bad one.

ATTQOTD:
When you have an injury that does not go away, do not wait to see a doctor. Take injury advice from other runners with a grain of salt (because we all like to push through it. "it's fine... it will get better eventually.") After you see a doctor or two and feel in your gut (and your knee) that something is not right, keep pushing to get the correct diagnosis. I went through the injury/rest cycle repeatedly with my right knee. Each time I rested till it felt better. Two different doctors gave me vague diagnoses and said rest & PT. While under the care of the second Dr, and the knee was feeling better, I got a stress fracture in my left foot (probably as a result of favoring the right knee), causing me to miss Wine and Dine Half in 2016. Took time off to heal the stress fracture. But I still did not have the correct diagnosis--torn meniscus. Tore it again Spring 2017 while kneeling. I wondered about meniscus, but that was not the diagnosis I was given. Rested till better then back to running. Tore it July 2017 while doing one-leg squat. This time it felt like a knife in my knee. When the PA at the Urgent Ortho clinic said probably meniscus, I took my knee and my money to the competition for MRI and surgery. The MRI showed discoid meniscus (and a piece torn off) and the Dr said it was going to tear eventually. Lesson learned!

Mrs. PADC

Now that Dopey is done, I probably will not run another race until June. However, I don't want to lose everything I built up while training for Dopey. I trained for Dopey under a slightly modified Hanson's plan. I would like to stay in in at least, what I call, half marathon shape.

@DopeyBadger answer below is probably the best advice to this question.

While not racing, what is the long term goal? To continue to improve race times across the board? My suggestion would be to continue to train as if there is a race at the end of the training cycle. That way when you actually start the next goal oriented training cycle, you'll be that much further ahead. Granted, if you're looking for pulling back a bit without something on the schedule, then I'd focus on long runs in the 90-120 min range and the staying consistent with the mid-week days per week with some tempo/Daniels T/speed thrown in every once in a while.

As much as it pains me to say this, congrats to Alabama on the win Monday. It was a very exciting game regardless who you cheered for. Most interesting stat from that game. The team that won the game had 0 snaps with the lead. Crazy game and what a call to switch QB's at half.

This week we have the following folks with races:

13 - @KSellers88 - MLK 5k (NG / N/A)
13 - @roxymama - The Frosty 5k (NG / N/A)
13 - @apdebord - Charleston Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
13 - @jennamfeo - RNR Arizona 5k (35:51 / N/A)
14 - jennamfeo - RNR Arizona Half Marathon (2:26:31 / N/A)
14 - @Miranda - Snowflake Shuffle 5k (NG / N/A)
14 - LSUlakes - Louisiana Half Marathon (TBA / N/A)

If you would like to make a change to your race or if someone would like me to add them to the list, please let me know and I will be happy to do so! Best of luck to everyone and we look forward to hearing how the race went!

BTW: I am most likely not running the race this weekend as I am not prepared to run the distance.

For all of the "Fixer Upper" fans... Chip is running a marathon!

https://magnoliamarket.com/training-log-first-run/

ETA: They are hosting a 5K, Half and Full in Waco.... road trip, anyone? :)

i-volunteer-as-tribute-gif-8.gif

ATTQOTD: What would I tell myself when I first started? Just keep doing it. Trust the plan. Realize that no training plan ever goes 100% perfect, but stick with it, don't quit, and you will see accomplish your goals.

As a side note, I don't think I would actually tell the 2011 version of myself what running adventures I undertook after that first half. Mostly because I would want him to learn the same lessons that I did and not miss out on the rewards. I'm also quite certain that the 2011 version of me would have thought I had lost my mind if he knew what I would do in 2017. That version of me probably did not believe those things were even possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter