The Running Thread - 2018

Not sure where to be asking this, but.......

Is it a mistake to change a training plan this close to PHM? I’m running all three races. Galloway has been good to me, but I’m bored with cycling through his plans. Higdon plans seem a little better, but I really like Hanson plans. Just not sure where to start. I printed out the Hanson plan and used their calculator to figure out pacing. It’s a lot of mileage per week compared to Galloway. I’ve been doing run/walk, but on yesterday’s 4 mile run I was able to run 99.9% of it. I just don’t want to overtrain myself and get injured.

ATTQOTD: Already some great advice.

I'd add, don't get too fired up about your good days and don't beat yourself up over your bad days. I've found no rhyme or reason to my running. Why is it some days are perfect, yet i can go out within a week of that perfect day under exact same conditions and be dog poop. Stay focused on your goal and realize a bad day, sore knee, busy life schedule, etc are all apart of the journey. If this were easy, everyone would doit. Look around you and realize you are one of the few people out training on any given day.

Question for those of you using Garmin products: I have an AppleWatch (series 2), and I love it for everything BUT running. I got some gift cards for Christmas that I was thinking of putting towards a Garmin in order to get some better running data as I head in to my spring half training cycle.

If I'm NOT going to use the watch for anything but running, would you recommend a 235? I know that I want the heart rate monitoring, so that takes the 230 out of the running. Or is there something better out there that I need to seriously consider? I know people love the Fenix, but if it isn't going to be my primary watch, is it worth the extra money?

ATTQOTD: Definitely what @camaker said: SLOW. DOWN. When I first started running I wasn't even thinking about doing races, really. It was just something I could do for cheap. But everyday I went out there and tried to run as fast as I could because I thought if I wasn't always running fast, was it even worth it? Thank you @DopeyBadger for teaching me that in order to run fast you must run slow(er) (sometimes).

QOTD: for those who have been running for a few years in the group, what single piece of advice would you have given to yourself when you first started out (if that was possible) that would have had the biggest impact? Would that advice change if you were giving it to someone else thats just starting out?
Believe in yourself. Don’t push too hard. Trust your training. Properly fitted shoes.

QOTD - You don't need to run every training run as fast as you can. Follow the training plan as it's set up, which will include days where you will be running at slower paces. Trust that your training plan will get you to where you want to be come race day.

Is it a mistake to change a training plan this close to PHM? I’m running all three races. Galloway has been good to me, but I’m bored with cycling through his plans. Higdon plans seem a little better, but I really like Hanson plans. Just not sure where to start. I printed out the Hanson plan and used their calculator to figure out pacing. It’s a lot of mileage per week compared to Galloway. I’ve been doing run/walk, but on yesterday’s 4 mile run I was able to run 99.9% of it. I just don’t want to overtrain myself and get injured.

PHM is ~ 6 weeks out... I think making a drastic change compared to what you have been doing could have some negative effects. At best you could try to add a little more mileage, but I would not over do it, as race day isnt all that far away. Try the new plan for your next event, instead of switching midway would be my suggestion.

Question for those of you using Garmin products: I have an AppleWatch (series 2), and I love it for everything BUT running. I got some gift cards for Christmas that I was thinking of putting towards a Garmin in order to get some better running data as I head in to my spring half training cycle.

If I'm NOT going to use the watch for anything but running, would you recommend a 235? I know that I want the heart rate monitoring, so that takes the 230 out of the running. Or is there something better out there that I need to seriously consider? I know people love the Fenix, but if it isn't going to be my primary watch, is it worth the extra money?

I havent looked at Garmin watches since the 235 came out and i purchased it. I really like the watch and I do use it as a everyday watch. It does not have as many cool features as the apple watch likely has, but it isnt meant to either as Garmin is outdoor/sports tech company. So it would be perfect for running and maybe doing outdoor things that you wouldn't want to mess up the apple watch. Also, not having to use a HR strap is the single greatest thing ever! The HR may not always be exact (for various possible reasons), but its still better than the strap IMO.
For some really detailed reviews on running watches, search rainmaker. I think thats the name.

I'd tell younger me to start with a shoe fitting. I had serious IT band problems during my first year of running until I had my gait analyzed and changed shoes. I'd recommend this to anyone starting out, not just me. :)

Ditto to this.

I havent looked at Garmin watches since the 235 came out and i purchased it. I really like the watch and I do use it as a everyday watch. It does not have as many cool features as the apple watch likely has, but it isnt meant to either as Garmin is outdoor/sports tech company. So it would be perfect for running and maybe doing outdoor things that you wouldn't want to mess up the apple watch. Also, not having to use a HR strap is the single greatest thing ever! The HR may not always be exact (for various possible reasons), but its still better than the strap IMO.
For some really detailed reviews on running watches, search rainmaker. I think thats the name.

It’s DC Rainmaker.

And I too love my 235 :)

QOTD: for those who have been running for a few years in the group, what single piece of advice would you have given to yourself when you first started out (if that was possible) that would have had the biggest impact? Would that advice change if you were giving it to someone else thats just starting out?

Progress at your own pace, but never say never.
Some people will max out at the 5K distance. Others will run ultras. Most of us are somewhere in the middle. Do what feels best for you right now, and don't worry about what the future will hold, but be open to the possibilities. Right now the idea of running anything longer than a 5K might seem crazy, but if one day you think you can handle 4 miles, then go for it. Don't hold yourself back, but don't push yourself too far too fast because it's what other people are doing or because you feel like you have to do it. All you have to do is run (and not get injured).

(That's good general life advice, too)

ATTQOTD: I can't decide between these two. But they kind of go together.
1) There's no such thing as one specific type of person who is a runner.
2) You don't have to first get yourself into ideal shape/certain weight/certain lifestyle to be a runner. Just start the moment you feel motivated to give it a shot. Don't hold yourself back..all you have to do is be able to put one foot down and then the other. The rest will come if you want it to.

I had a lot of years full of a lot of "I'm not ready yet" almost starts but stopping myself. And a lot of fear about not looking like some ideal version of what I thought a runner was. And worrying about not being "fast enough" or "running the right way" out the gate. I wanted to be a runner long before I took my first short jog. Wish someone would have just snapped me out of that and said "just go run!"
Edited to say that my hubby eventually did say this while I was out for a walk in my new running shoes :)

Last edited:
How long does it take you to recover from a hard race? Which day seems to be worse?
Typically I am most sore right after the race itself. As long as I keep moving though that usually dissipates in a few hours. I have rarely been sore the next day, unless I completely crashed the day before.

for those who have been running for a few years in the group, what single piece of advice would you have given to yourself when you first started out (if that was possible) that would have had the biggest impact? Would that advice change if you were giving it to someone else thats just starting out?
I will echo what others have said in the SLOW DOWN department. Training runs do not need to be PRs.

@LSUlakes here are my Dopey results
WDW 5k (PR /28:14 ) no character stops
WDW 10k (NG / 1:01) 3 character stops
WDW Half (NG / 2:46) 3 character stops as well as random course photos + push-ups with Sarg.
WDW Marathon (NG / 5:18) 8 character stops!!!

QOTD: How long does it take you to recover from a hard race? Which day seems to be worse?

If I really race hard, it can take me a week for a longer race. Day 0 and +1 are the worst. Quads are my sorest spot. So I guess I didn't run too hard at Dopey, cause my legs feel pretty darn good now.

I would not do it this close. I just did the Hanson marathon plan to train for Dopey. Their plans are a fair number of miles, and the beginning of the plan, I think, is key in that while you build the mileage, the runs are easy pace. To jump in now, I think you risk overuse injury.

If you're bored (I get it, my switch to Hanson's this time was a "shake it up" kinda thing), why not add in an extra targeted run. You could do some speed intervals or a little tempo work. But I would keep the number/distance short.

I'm sure @DopeyBadger would have good advice.

As or the latest QOTD: I would tell myself that "you can probably do more than you might think, but don't worry about that. You will be ready to take on a specific challenge when you're ready--when your head gets there, your body will follow."

One thing to watch out for with the 235 is that it's an older model and support for it will probably start to fade pretty soon. I enjoyed mine right up until I upgraded to the 935. The 935 has a lot of features that I don't use, but it's a huge upgrade to the 235 in every way and it's based on the Fenix 5 hardware/software platform which should "future proof" it for a while. I think Garmin also just announce the 645 Music, too, which I think you can load a playlist onto and not have to run with your phone, if that's important to you.

One thing to watch out for with the 235 is that it's an older model and support for it will probably start to fade pretty soon. I enjoyed mine right up until I upgraded to the 935. The 935 has a lot of features that I don't use, but it's a huge upgrade to the 235 in every way and it's based on the Fenix 5 hardware/software platform which should "future proof" it for a while. I think Garmin also just announce the 645 Music, too, which I think you can load a playlist onto and not have to run with your phone, if that's important to you.

Thanks for this, that explains why REI isn't selling the 235 anymore. I feel like the 935 is more than I want to spend on a non-primary watch, but maybe I need to do a little more digging.

I wold say stick with it. I first started running in Fall 2012 and have been on and off ever since. Generally, I get into a groove and then life gets in the way or I'm lazy and say I'll pick that up next week or next month or next year and I never do. This time around, I am sticking to it even on days that I don't want to. Yesterday was one of those days and I was like well 2 miles is better than no miles and I ended up running 3.

I'd tell younger me to start with a shoe fitting. I had serious IT band problems during my first year of running until I had my gait analyzed and changed shoes. I'd recommend this to anyone starting out, not just me. :)

I've been having IT band issues and thought it may be shoe related as I haven't really had this issue before, but my shoes are wearing down. Guess it's time for a change.

Now that Dopey is done, I probably will not run another race until June. However, I don't want to lose everything I built up while training for Dopey. I trained for Dopey under a slightly modified Hanson's plan. I would like to stay in in at least, what I call, half marathon shape.

What do you all do during a maintenance cycle? That time between races when you are not training for a race, but want to maintain a certain level of fitness so as to not start completely from scratch when really starting to train for the next race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter