• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

D5D24555-E73E-44B4-94CB-7DD08CC8CB2B.jpeg

ATTQOTD:

DH and I share, so after our soulmates board filled we decided to use curtain rods for each subsequent year. It’s hard to tell, but there are four curtain rods under the initial board. On the opposing wall we will have our full marathon medals once we decide what we want to use to display them. It’s out of control and a mess but at least they’re no longer piling up on the half-wall between our formal living/dining room.:rotfl2:

QOTD: What do you do with your race medals? Do they go on the wall, a desk drawer, shadow box? Do you get the engraved or do anything else special with them?

ATTQOTD: I have my important ones hanging on my wall. The ones that dont have much meaning to me are in a box in our garage. I never had any of the engraved, but would like to get a few of them engraved with my finish time. I will probably have to find a place in town that does that for the existing ones.

The five I earned for the Texas Marathon Challenge are on the wall in my workout room. The rest are in a shoebox or two. Every few years, I dig out the ones I know I will never want to hang up and send them to Medals4Mettle. The kids receive much more enjoyment and fulfillment from them than I will.

ATTQOTD: I have a couple of medal racks in the bonus room set up to hang my medals. I like having them up there to look back on what I've accomplished and to remind me of the story that each race held. I'm getting to the point now where I need to start culling and being a little more selective about what gets displayed, though. I think a lot of the local race medals will go into storage in favor of the more memorable runDisney medals. The marathon medals will stay out, though, regardless of location...

ATTQOTD: My medals hang on a curtain rod in our mud room. I have 3 special bibs on a cork board (shared with other family members)--my Boston bib, my Half Ironman bib, and now, my Dopey bib.

As for the AG awards...they are so random. I have a few medals, a few glasses (can you say pint glass? Martini glass?), jewelry, and one Disney acrylic plaque that has zero mounting tabs/hooks/anything! That is still stuck on my bureau.

View attachment 295675

ATTQOTD:

DH and I share, so after our soulmates board filled we decided to use curtain rods for each subsequent year. It’s hard to tell, but there are four curtain rods under the initial board. On the opposing wall we will have our full marathon medals once we decide what we want to use to display them. It’s out of control and a mess but at least they’re no longer piling up on the half-wall between our formal living/dining room.:rotfl2:
:worship:

My new watch band is in Houston TX per the tracking report and my buddy said they are starting to shut down the interstate now as things are icing up. I dont think I will get my package on my anticipated delivery date of 1/17/18. Sad Face

ATTQOTD: My sister made me a medal rack out of barn wood. She painted it with the quote "she believed she could, so she did." I had to add more hooks to it after Dopey, so all my medals are on there now, but not in any order. They're displayed near a stairwell, so every time you go up or down, you see them. I hope they are an inspiration to my kids. I like to look at them and remember each race and all the hard work I've put in over the last 3 years. As I was rearranging them the other night, I realized that the half I did during Dopey weekend was my 10th half marathon!

ATTQOTD: They are scattered around my house, buried in piles of my crap. :o I'm a messy person. :o I got a medal hanger for Christmas a couple years ago, but I haven't hung it up yet.

ATTQOTD yesterday: intervals and slowing down.. my garmin beeps a countdown so at that point I start running slower so that it isn't quite as abrupt. Other than that, not really.

ATTQOTD today: At the moment my medals are on my kitchen table. I keep saying I need to find something to do with them, or get a rack but it hasn't happened yet. I got my princess bib signed by the princesses last year so I may make a shadowbox for that race eventually!

ATTQOTD: I was gathering them in a shopping bag until I got this great medal rack for Christmas! Now they're on the wall in my hallway.

26112378_10155190900382157_8851798518461320981_n.jpg

ATTQOTD: I have them in a bag currently. My kids like to pull them out and play with them occasionally. I'm in the market for a medal rack though to put in our soon-to-be-completed-workout-room. I can't wait to hang them up!

QOTD: For those who run/walk, is there a method to the slowing down and then speeding back up to reduce the impact on your legs?
ATTQOTD: I've frequently heard people ask about run-walk, "Don't you get tired of all that stopping and starting?" and have always found it so puzzling. I don't ever stop and start; I just slow down from a run until I'm walking, and speed up from a walk until I'm running. I really don't put any thought into it: it just happens. The only times it's felt awkward was when I was wearing shoes that didn't transition easily. I just don't buy shoes that don't work well anymore - problem solved! (I think it's a high heel:toe drop that does me in - I'm a forefoot runner, but I land on my heels when I walk, so my transition is a little different than the average heel striker and a big heel:toe differential seems to get in the way.)

QOTD: What do you do with your race medals? Do they go on the wall, a desk drawer, shadow box? Do you get the engraved or do anything else special with them?
ATTQOTD: I am so not into medals apart from snapping some pics with them. Special ones from meaningful races hang on the corners of my mirror - that's only a few. The rest went into a shoebox until I discovered people will pay for them on eBay. Now I sell them and put that money toward future races and charities! I've donated some to charities/"I Run For"s, too.

I'll be traveling to southern Louisiana next week. Anyone have tips on places to run? I'm not sure my exact whereabouts yet.

I'll be traveling to southern Louisiana next week. Anyone have tips on places to run? I'm not sure my exact whereabouts yet.

ME ME ME I have suggestions!!!! But first, which city are you going to? If its Baton Rouge I have many options, Lafayette and NOLA I can help with as well. Lake Charles IDK though.

ME ME ME I have suggestions!!!! But first, which city are you going to? If its Baton Rouge I have many options, Lafayette and NOLA I can help with as well. Lake Charles IDK though.

Haven't lived there for over a decade now, but I enjoyed taking the St Charles streetcar in NOLA down to Audobon Park and walking the huge lap around it. Better than having to run the levee with my college team. I'll defer to lsulakes on more current info!

Currently, they are on clothing hangars in my closet (2 hangars because weight). I have always had big plans to buy an Allied medal hangar, but as often happens with me, I am paralyzed with indecision on which one I want. :) I did do a shadow box for my bf's coast to coast medals and bibs, but even that one isn't even hung up yet. I hope when we clear our 2nd bedroom we can find some space to hang them up.

The five I earned for the Texas Marathon Challenge are on the wall in my workout room. The rest are in a shoebox or two. Every few years, I dig out the ones I know I will never want to hang up and send them to Medals4Mettle. The kids receive much more enjoyment and fulfillment from them than I will.

Love Medals4Mettle! I wish our local chapters were more active! And that they wanted 10k medals too. lol

ATTQOTD: I've frequently heard people ask about run-walk, "Don't you get tired of all that stopping and starting?" and have always found it so puzzling. I don't ever stop and start; I just slow down from a run until I'm walking, and speed up from a walk until I'm running. I really don't put any thought into it: it just happens. The only times it's felt awkward was when I was wearing shoes that didn't transition easily. I just don't buy shoes that don't work well anymore - problem solved! (I think it's a high heel:toe drop that does me in - I'm a forefoot runner, but I land on my heels when I walk, so my transition is a little different than the average heel striker and a big heel:toe differential seems to get in the way.)

THIS. Completely agree; even the forefoot runner/heel walker!

Haven't lived there for over a decade now, but I enjoyed taking the St Charles streetcar in NOLA down to Audobon Park and walking the huge lap around it. Better than having to run the levee with my college team. I'll defer to lsulakes on more current info!
That's what I should have done. I ended up running around the quarter instead.

12DC9DB1-99EE-4996-B967-535B1454EA03.jpeg I have this lovely display in my bedroom. DH bought me another row for my recent birthday and put it up this weekend.

As I was replacing all the medals after the addition of the 4th row, I remarked that even with all of these medals, I still don’t think of myself as a runner......and wondering why I don’t...

I have no idea! It's a work trip and the details aren't fully flushed out yet. I'll be flying into NOLA because the flights were most convenient but I have no hotel ressies yet. I'm meeting a colleague that works all around that area and he told me I could fly into any of the first three cities you mentioned.

Thanks! I'll add that to my notes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter