The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I don’t have a ton of experience with run-walk intervals except for that I used them to train for my first marathon. The best advice I can give is that if you plan to do them during the race, then you need to do them during your training. Running as far as you can then switching to intervals didn’t work out well for me.

Anyone here ever run the Outer Banks half marathon or marathon? My dad and I are thinking of running it and just curious of anyone’s experience they had. Thanks!

ATTQOTD: I run intervals. The app I use for them has 3 slow beeps before each transition, instead of just the one alarm sound. This gives me time to slow my pace. I was getting tight hamstrings when I had an app that just stopped me abruptly. Then when it’s time to run, I have those beeps to tell me to start speeding up. It’s definitely all in training like that too; I do however try to get in 1 continuous training run a week.

ATTQOTD: Similar to @apdebord, my garmin watch does a series of three beeps before each run/walk transition, so I gradually slow down or speed up over the three beep time frame. I used to run continuously, but found I could keep a similar pace with run/walk and have much less fatigue.

ATTQOTD: I run continuously so I am zero help. I have the same problem with stopping too abruptly when I walk water stops, so I am interested to see what the experts have to say!

Random question: Is there somewhere on Disney property that you can get your medal engraved during or after marathon weekend? If so where and what are they charging? TIA!

Random question: Is there somewhere on Disney property that you can get your medal engraved during or after marathon weekend? If so where and what are they charging? TIA!
They usually have a tent that does it after the races. I don't think there is anywhere in the parks or anything that does it.

It looked like they had a machine set up to engrave medals at the store in DS where they stitch/personalize the mouse ears. Not sure if any of the other personalization shops in the parks will do it, but I saw a medal being engraved in DS.

QOTD: For those who run/walk, is there a method to the slowing down and then speeding back up to reduce the impact on your legs?

ATTQOTD: I do not have a answer to this, but after 4 miles of doing this yesterday my thigh were already getting tight. I stayed with it until I had around 4-5 miles to go, and then jogged the rest of the way in. My knees hurt more than anything last night. I never had them hurt that way before and could only figure the stop and go motion was maybe the reason. Since I've never run any long distances with that approach I figured I was probably stopping to fast and doing that over and over is what could have been the issue. OR it could have been the fact that I havent run double digit miles in probably the last 6 months. Either way, everything is feeling much better today. Just wanted to see if there was a method.

I just come to my walk very slowly and once it is time to run again I take a few strides before I am back to my full running pace.

QOTD: What do you do with your race medals? Do they go on the wall, a desk drawer, shadow box? Do you get the engraved or do anything else special with them?

ATTQOTD: I have my important ones hanging on my wall. The ones that dont have much meaning to me are in a box in our garage. I never had any of the engraved, but would like to get a few of them engraved with my finish time. I will probably have to find a place in town that does that for the existing ones.

QOTD: What do you do with your race medals? Do they go on the wall, a desk drawer, shadow box? Do you get the engraved or do anything else special with them?

ATTQOTD: I have them on a hanging rack in my closet, right with my gym bag and running shoes (subconscious reminder to get out and exercise? absolutely). I'm actually thinking about turning some of the less special ones into magnets for my fridge so that I can see them all the time. Has anyone ever tried that?

I have a ladder type display my dad made me last year, it is awesome! There are a bunch of rungs so I display all the medals I have received. I put all my Disney medals proudly on the top two rungs, and the others are below that in the order I earned them. I have one rung left to fill, and my dad jokes he better start working on the next one! Ha, I think it will be a while before a second one is needed but fun to think about!

They're in a box. And not even a dedicated medals box, they're in a shoe box full of other crap on my desk. I'd like to do something with them eventually, but I don't love the idea of buying a medal rack, so I don't know what I would do with them.
I've never gotten any of them engraved, but I'm about 99% sure that I will get the medal from this coming Sunday's race engraved because I can get it done for free. I'm much too cheap to pass up on the opportunity for free engraving. And since I'm "fun"employed (I don't understand what's supposed to be fun about unemployment...), I have the time to wait around in line all day if the line gets long.

UPDATE: (because I just looked at my desk and remembered) My RangersTown 5K medal is not in the box. It's hanging on my Rangers 2015 Playoffs foam finger. As is the wristband I got at the race (which is just plain blue). But that's because I keep my Rangers stuff together. (The princess crown that's also on the foam finger is a little harder to explain)

Last edited:

Perhaps it is a reflection of my generally negative outlook but medals go in the trash (or to my boys when they were younger.) First, I am not a collector and try to minimize the amount of stuff I have. Second, medals or other objects have little meaning to me and pale in comparison to the feelings of personal satisfaction and accomplishment. I have to admit that I just don't comprehend the rationale for awarding medals to everyone, but realize most people have a different opinion and if it makes people happy then I am in favor of it.

Mine are currently hanging near my treadmill in my basement- I don't feel like I have enough to justify a big display, but maybe someday. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter