The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: For those who run/walk, is there a method to the slowing down and then speeding back up to reduce the impact on your legs?
I tried doing run/walk the last few runs I did, to see if it was a better fit for me for longer distances and I will agree that muscles and things that didn't hurt when I did an easy paced continuous long run were definitely sore after run/walk. I think it is just something you have to train to get used to. I looked into it a bit and knew that you can't just abruptly walk, you have to slow down into it more smoothly, and also you need to walk fast paced, not just a casual walk speed. Not sure if that is totally accurate but that is how I heard to do it. I think when I get back into longer distances again I am going to look into the mechanics of the whole thing more, as I think it would be a good fit for me, but I think you really have to train from the get go to do it, as it does work different muscle groups during the walk section.

QOTD: For those who run/walk, is there a method to the slowing down and then speeding back up to reduce the impact on your legs?

ATTQOTD:
I’ve been interval running for years, and honestly my walk pace is faster than some peoples run pace. So for me, personally, I feel like it’s less of a jolt reaction and has less impact than running fast and walking slow. I don’t know if that makes sense.
I usually don’t feel much tightness after long runs unless it’s colder outside.

ATTQOTD: I have never had any problems with the speeding up and slowing down, so I can't really suggest anything. I just... slow down. :) Maybe because when I was getting back into running in 2015, I started out doing run/walk. I've been trying to drop it recently, and do not do dedicated intervals now, but I do still stop to walk sometimes. I just kinda gradually slow down over 10-15 feet until I'm walking, rather than abruptly stop.

ATTQOTD:
I’ve been interval running for years, and honestly my walk pace is faster than some peoples run pace. So for me, personally, I feel like it’s less of a jolt reaction and has less impact than running fast and walking slow. I don’t know if that makes sense.
I usually don’t feel much tightness after long runs unless it’s colder outside.

So that was you passing me at a fast walk up every single large hill I try to run? :)

Once I hit my walk interval I take a few extra seconds to slow my pace from a run to a jog to a walk. It cuts time out of my walk interval but it works ok for me.

ATTQOTD: I do not have a answer to this, but after 4 miles of doing this yesterday my thigh were already getting tight. I stayed with it until I had around 4-5 miles to go, and then jogged the rest of the way in. My knees hurt more than anything last night. I never had them hurt that way before and could only figure the stop and go motion was maybe the reason. Since I've never run any long distances with that approach I figured I was probably stopping to fast and doing that over and over is what could have been the issue. OR it could have been the fact that I havent run double digit miles in probably the last 6 months. Either way, everything is feeling much better today. Just wanted to see if there was a method.

I use the Galloway app and have read a couple of his books. This week marks my one year anniversary of starting to run. Nike app says I’ve run every week for a year! The app walks me through “glider” exercises and has helped me be mindful of my bounce. Both help with a smoother transition from walk to run and back. The cadence drills helped me normalize my run portion so I can run at a consistent pace (within 20 seconds) per mile. Cadence helps when I run with others who start out too fast. It’s interesting when they get 5 - 10 feet out front then realize what they’re doing!

My maintenance runs I run at race pace intervals but long runs I skip every other run interval. It’s the only way I’ve found to get to my long run pace! Galloway also suggests using his Magic Mile to help determine expected race pace and training paces.

To answer your question, I don’t notice any soreness if I run under 6 miles. I’m on a mileage increase swing right now so I’ll see when it bothers me!

Fun Friday QOTD: What do you think is the worse attraction / show that is currently open at WDW?
I remember the Nemo Show in Animal Kingdom as being really annoying.

Am I the only one here that will defend Country Bears? I love that show! If anyone fights me on this one there's gonna be some blood on the saddle...
I walked in three days late ready to defend County Bear Jamboree. I would not have defended it until this past marathon weekend when I got to 'experience' it for the first time in many years. This show is wow. It became the running joke of our whole vacation. First of all, how many attractions empty out into a restaurant. I feel like that right there should single the ride out as being iconic. Second, it's a dark place to sit down for a few which is a huge bonus. Third, the animatronics are really impressive given their age and I enjoy that. #NeverForgetBigAl

You need to train and practice, like with most things with running. I know we spent a lot of time working on our walking (always walk with purpose!) when we trained for Comrades. I assume the same holds true for those who use Galloway's method for shorter races too.

The finale of the Vikings vs. Saints playoff game this afternoon was something else. Did not expect that one finishing the way it did.

Yeah, I am still in shock on that one... I simultaneously feel bad for and an mad at that poor safety who missed the last tackle. I guess I have a bit more free time next weekend now.

ATTQOTD: I am not a Run/Walker, but I would agree with what others have said in that avoiding sudden change in the transition is probably key. When I began my transition to trail runs and hit significant elevation I tried running it all the time. I thought that by running big hills in workouts I would be stronger in races and then in a race if I walked a big hill I could in essence "bank" energy. A couple of the guys I was running with told me that was the wrong way to look at it. That doing anything different in workouts will hurt you in the race. I share this in that I think that if you have been a long term continuous runner and then begin trying Run/Walk that it is going to mess with you for a while as you incorporate different muscles. I will also add that to walk fast in a run can be much harder than just cruising along at a slow jog!

QOTD: What do you think is the worse attraction / show that is currently open at WDW?

Stitch. Hands down. I cannot believe that ride has lasted as long as it has. It's terrible.

And now that Great Movie Ride is closed, I think CoP is my favorite attraction. :)

I thought it was closing permanently now and the seasonal tag was removed.... I think I even saw a final ride type video on YouTube this week.

I thought I heard that it was announced recently that it will continue to be a "open seasonally" ride. Ridiculous!

Am I the only one here that will defend Country Bears? I love that show! If anyone fights me on this one there's gonna be some blood on the saddle...

#NeverForgetBigAl! We miss this at DL!

To that end I'm back on Weight Watchers after finishing the marathon last week.

I recently rejoined WW too; the new program is proving difficult for me ....

My walk intervals are pretty slow; I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to walk faster, my walk cadence is pretty low. I just can't seem to make my legs go any faster while walking. Also, I would agree with the others that the end of my run interval there is a slow down, not an abrupt stop. Kind of how runners slow down after they cross the finish line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter