The Running Thread - 2018

iwatch or Garmin or ?

I am looking at getting a wrist device for running. Up until now I have used apps on my iPhone to track runs.

I like the Iwatch because I can use it for my music too.

Looking for reviews

I personally didn’t like using my Apple Watch for running. It was not nearly as accurate as my Garmin 230. My Apple Watch always said I had run further and faster than the Garmin 230. I got tired of switching back and forth between the two and ended up getting rid of both and got the Garmin 645 with Music. It’s my everyday watch. If I need to dress up I have “real” watches for that. I rarely use the music feature. It was a waste of money for me since I run with my phone for safety reasons anyway or use it to watch shows if I’m on the treadmill. I also prefer my Spotify playlist since I never actually buy music from Apple, Amazon, etc. You have to transfer actual files from your computer onto the Garmin to play music, podcasts and audiobooks. They offer iHeart radio playlist support, but it’s another monthly fee and I already pay for Spotify family. I also like the features of Garmin Connect (phone app & website) to track my run history, create courses, create workouts, etc. You can also link your Garmin with a variety of other apps such as Strava and MyFitnessPal. IMO, Apple is a smart watch with an afterthought to track activities. Garmin is an activity tracker with an afterthought to smart watch capabilities.

I personally didn’t like using my Apple Watch for running. It was not nearly as accurate as my Garmin 230. My Apple Watch always said I had run further and faster than the Garmin 230. I got tired of switching back and forth between the two and ended up getting rid of both and got the Garmin 645 with Music. It’s my everyday watch. If I need to dress up I have “real” watches for that. I rarely use the music feature. It was a waste of money for me since I run with my phone for safety reasons anyway or use it to watch shows if I’m on the treadmill. I also prefer my Spotify playlist since I never actually buy music from Apple, Amazon, etc. You have to transfer actual files from your computer onto the Garmin to play music, podcasts and audiobooks. They offer iHeart radio playlist support, but it’s another monthly fee and I already pay for Spotify family. I also like the features of Garmin Connect (phone app & website) to track my run history, create courses, create workouts, etc. You can also link your Garmin with a variety of other apps such as Strava and MyFitnessPal. IMO, Apple is a smart watch with an afterthought to track activities. Garmin is an activity tracker with an afterthought to smart watch capabilities.
I think my biggest hurdle with switching to a Garmin is the music part is I am very tied to Apple products and have been for many years.
I have a ton of music on my iCloud with Apple

QOTD: Who is looking forward to much cooler weather? When does is typically start cooling down where you live?

Yes and no. I am looking forward to being able to run in cooler temperatures but I'm in no hurry for them to get here too quickly. When they get here depends on the year. We usually start to get cooler in late September but have a few days of Indian summer every year. Usually in later October the cool temperatures are here to stay.

iwatch or Garmin or ?

I am looking at getting a wrist device for running. Up until now I have used apps on my iPhone to track runs.

I like the Iwatch because I can use it for my music too.

Looking for reviews

Garmin but I don't listen to music when I run so don't care about that aspect of the device. The Garmin is just the best at the thing it is meant to do, track your run. There are music models but I have no idea how they integrate and to what services.

I think my biggest hurdle with switching to a Garmin is the music part is I am very tied to Apple products and have been for many years.

We are an Apple family too (MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV...). When I was SUV shopping I didn’t look at anything that didn’t have Apple Car Play :rotfl2:

We are an Apple family too (MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV...). When I was SUV shopping I didn’t look at anything that didn’t have Apple Car Play :rotfl2:
It would be great if Apple could be truly competitive with the Garmin
I really loved the idea of being able to text and take calls along with tracking my runs all on my wrist but it sounds too good to be true. I am hearing the battery life can be an issue when running marathons.

For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat with my music being in the Apple ecosystem. In addition, I primarily listen to audiobooks through Audible when I run, so the Audible app is a big one for me. As a compromise between running with both a watch and my monstrous iPhone 6S+, I have an iPod Touch that I use only for Audible and music that is far, far smaller and lighter to wear when I run.

I noticed in the gear posts that several of us use the discontinued ipod shuffle for music. For me its a great alternative to a watch with music. The shuffle is tiny and the batteries last for weeks. Simple downloads and playlists from my apple laptop. Now if the garmin 235 (245?) came with music I would be tempted.

I noticed in the gear posts that several of us use the discontinued ipod shuffle for music. For me its a great alternative to a watch with music. The shuffle is tiny and the batteries last for weeks. Simple downloads and playlists from my apple laptop. Now if the garmin 235 (245?) came with music I would be tempted.
I prefer the Nano because I can create many playlists. I have playlists for every type of running workout. So any watch would have to allow for the same thing for me to make a switch.

I don't know if you are very tied to the Apple ecosystem if you will be happy with the Garmin's ability to play music. The only streaming option at this time is from iHeartRadio, and I don't believe you will be able to transfer any music over to it that you don't explicitly own (or ripped yourself from CDs). I know that I stopped actually buying music a long time ago and instead just listened to Pandora or Spotify all the time, until Apple Music came around, and now everything is in Apple Music. All my streaming and local music for my race playlists comes from there and I am 99.9% sure the DRM would prevent me from putting it onto the Garmin.
The ability to stream music was the main reason I got an Apple Watch Series 3 LTE.

Which Apple Watch did you have? For me, the series 3 has always been pretty exact to how I map it out on Google maps. I agree, if you are going to carry a phone anyway, then go with a watch that is more made for running. But the series 3 LTE eliminates the need to carry a phone. I rarely ran with a phone so for me it is awesome to have smart phone capabilities with me without having to carry a phone. I am also not as picky about what I want to track, so it has all the tracking stuff I need including, pace, distance, heart rate and elevation. But it is so much more than a running watch and I use it for so much outside of running. Again, since I didn't carry a phone, the big thing for me is the ability to stream music through Apple Music to bluetooth earbuds - no more carrying an ipod with corded earbuds. It does pretty much everything else like getting the latest weather and radar when I am out on a run. And getting calls/text which is something we should all have especially if something happens out on a run. It also utilizes location services so if someone wants to know where you are or how close you are, they can. And by the way, even if your phone is on and sitting in your house, it knows your location is out on a run. Pretty cool. The only thing I wish it had was a camera. Then it really would be perfect. If you are an Apple person and want more than just a running watch, it is a great choice. If your are going to carry your phone on your runs anyway, get a Garmin (or other good running watch, I really don't know anything about any of them) and if you still want the Apple Watch, get the Series 2 or the Series 3 with GPS.

That is a fantastic train ride. The husband and I did it last November over Thanksgiving. Depending on how fast your mile pace is and how early the train is running, there are a few stops where they will be in station for a smoke break type situation and you could run up and down the platform.

We have one long train ride left (Chicago to LA) and it's on the calendar for the weekend after the marathon.

I'm glad to hear that the ride is a good one. Seems like it would be hard to be otherwise with the scenery we'll be going through, but one never knows.

Sadly, my husband has already nixed the idea of running in Chicago and on the train. I also thought of running during a long stop, but no go. "We will not be bringing running clothes." (Note the royal "we" when my husband does not run. The idea is to have a small bag for on the train so the big bags can go in the train's luggage storage.) I think my problem is that I mentioned the idea ahead of time rather than just bringing the clothes and doing it. :) But perhaps it is good to preserve marital harmony.

Speaking of gear, anyone have a recommendation for a head lamp. Need something that wont fall off my head for this night run next month.

QOTD: It's HOT!!!!! Spent most of the weekend trying to stay hydrated from doing yard work. Had headaches, cramps, felt like trash, and it impacted my run on Saturday. Who is looking forward to much cooler weather? When does is typically start cooling down where you live?

ATTQOTD: I always have mixed feelings. I don't like the really hot and humid summer weather for running - I like nice and cold (around freezing is fine with me) weather for running. But my feelings are almost totally opposite for anything else - I hate the cold if I'm not running. I have two space heaters in my office that I use year-round - in the winter for the cold and the summer for the over-zealous A/C. And an electric throw blanket at home that is used year-round also, since DH and I compromise on the indoor temperature being at a too-cold-for-me 74 F. :)

So I guess the good side is that I like all times of the year for at least one thing. :)

ATTQOTD: I always have mixed feelings. I don't like the really hot and humid summer weather for running - I like nice and cold (around freezing is fine with me) weather for running. But my feelings are almost totally opposite for anything else - I hate the cold if I'm not running. I have two space heaters in my office that I use year-round - in the winter for the cold and the summer for the over-zealous A/C. And an electric throw blanket at home that is used year-round also, since DH and I compromise on the indoor temperature being at a too-cold-for-me 74 F. :)

So I guess the good side is that I like all times of the year for at least one thing. :)

I should have waited for you to post and then answered "ditto" to all of the above! :)

Speaking of gear, anyone have a recommendation for a head lamp. Need something that wont fall off my head for this night run next month.
I bought whichever one was cheapest at Running Warehouse a couple years ago - it's great! I think it was an older version of this one: https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Petzl_Tikkina_Headlamp/descpage-PETTIHA.html It works well for the handful of dark runs I do each year, and even better as a main source of mobile in-home illumination when Irma cut my power for a week, lol!

For those of you who (like me) registered for your first marathon this week... Have your runs felt different ever since? I feel like I have a bigger purpose, a new goal. In less than 6 months I will be a marathoner. It’s all very exciting!
My last 2 have seemed tougher than I thought they would have been. Of course they also happened despite the inconveniences they posed or just plain laziness on my part. So there's that.

Well... I invite you to come watch the show with us in January. Warning! You may here me sing and fuss at people who answer their phone and/or use flash photography during the show. lol
*Best Sam Eagle voice* Using your cell phone and/or flash photography during the Carousel of Progress is distinctly unpatriotic.

which is exactly why i'm targeting the hartford marathon in october. if i survive the heat training in texas this summer i'm gonna be the BATMAN on raceday.
Who never skips leg day?!? BATMAN!!!

The ability to stream music was the main reason I got an Apple Watch Series 3 LTE.

Which Apple Watch did you have? For me, the series 3 has always been pretty exact to how I map it out on Google maps. I agree, if you are going to carry a phone anyway, then go with a watch that is more made for running. But the series 3 LTE eliminates the need to carry a phone. I rarely ran with a phone so for me it is awesome to have smart phone capabilities with me without having to carry a phone. I am also not as picky about what I want to track, so it has all the tracking stuff I need including, pace, distance, heart rate and elevation. But it is so much more than a running watch and I use it for so much outside of running. Again, since I didn't carry a phone, the big thing for me is the ability to stream music through Apple Music to bluetooth earbuds - no more carrying an ipod with corded earbuds. It does pretty much everything else like getting the latest weather and radar when I am out on a run. And getting calls/text which is something we should all have especially if something happens out on a run. It also utilizes location services so if someone wants to know where you are or how close you are, they can. And by the way, even if your phone is on and sitting in your house, it knows your location is out on a run. Pretty cool. The only thing I wish it had was a camera. Then it really would be perfect. If you are an Apple person and want more than just a running watch, it is a great choice. If your are going to carry your phone on your runs anyway, get a Garmin (or other good running watch, I really don't know anything about any of them) and if you still want the Apple Watch, get the Series 2 or the Series 3 with GPS.
I am leaning towards Apple Watch 3. In my mind it gives me everything in one small device with exception of battery life for a run longer than 5hrs.
My goal is to eliminate carrying phone.
I can use it at work as well rather than carrying my phone all around the hospital

I run trails and the Petzl Reactik+ Headlamp is about as good as they get. Too pricey if you are just running streets.

I had a series 2. My DH gave it to me for my 40th birthday February 2017. I wanted to like it. I really did. I just found the features I was using with Garmin didn’t exist for the Apple Watch and I’d have to move to 3rd party apps to create custom workouts or track things like shoe mileage manually. I got my first Garmin to get away from having to use 3rd party apps. The battery life on my Apple Watch stunk too no matter what I did in settings.

I’ve been using Spotify since they launched. I literally can’t remember the last time I purchased any music. I don’t even have music downloaded on my iPhone since all I use is Pandora and Spotify!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter