The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Last spring (2017), I was running back into town and as I tried to get back on the sidewalk, I slipped on loose gravel and took quite the tumble.
I really scraped up my knee, hands and arm and basically was asked about it the whole summer... "What'd you do to your knee??" Thanks for making me recall my embarrassing fall!
I was thankful that I was <.5 mi from home and could limp home.

ATTQOTD: I have had a number of tumbles. The ones with blood have led me to give up the run and hobble/walk back home for care. All the worst ones have been on runs by myself.

Several were more just a quick tuck and roll into the grass and get up and get going again. Most times it was something in the road/sidewalk that tripped me up as I was focused way out in front and not looking at the ground.

I like to think this is why I tend not to run many trail races!

ATTQOTD: I've never fallen during a race. I've stumbled a bit a couple of times, but have always recovered. I can only recall falling once during a training run. I skinned my knee and twisted my ankle a little, but fortunately no one was around so the embarrassment was minimal, and I felt better after a couple of days.

ATTQOTD: I went down about 3 years ago ... it was a few days after a snowstorm and the park where I did most of my runs those days (and now...) was super icy, so I went out onto the sidewalks. Tripped over my own feet (not even ice) and fell. Stupidly caught myself with my hands (for those of you who didn't know ... you're supposed to roll when you fall - if you catch yoruself with your hands, you could break your collarbone), and while I thankfully didn't break anything, I did scrape up my hands and my knee pretty badly (and my water bottle :)). At first I was just really annoyed and started walking home, but after a few minutes I decided to start running again and I was able to run/walk most of the way home. But I hurt for a few days.
After that I had a severe fear of falling for about 2 years. I kept picturing myself dropping my water bottle and falling while I was running and it was just really scary. Thankfully, I seem to be past that now. Finally.
I almost face-planted on the FDR drive during my half in March, but thankfully I caught myself before I went down :)

ATTQOTD:
I spend my days tripping over things, so I am amazed it does not happen more during runs. The most memorable running fall one is still with me. There is a gravel path that looses about 30 feet of elevation in less than 0.1 mile in a section of 0.25 miles that is a continuous downhill. They had put new, smaller gravel on it and I just lost my footing before I even hit the most steep section. I ended sliding down on my backside and got scraped from my ankles to mid back, and was digging gravel out for a few days. I was still a mile from my car, and did not think it was so bad, so took another loop on a different section of the trail with a more gentle hill. I am still nervous and walk that section, even though in my head I know I ran it 50x before I fell and had no problem. This is much less severe than bike accidents, so overall I think running is more safe!

ATTQOTD: Ugh I had my first fall-ish Saturday. People in my neighborhood don't know how to pull all the way into their driveways so they block the sidewalks and it drives the ish out of me...especially because they typically have another car parked in the street or haven't pulled their trash cans up fromt the street. So I stepped into their easement to go around, and stepped right into a hole and rolled my ankle but luckily didn't hit the ground, instead twisted my knee and back all up. I did another 5 miles yesterday, so I'm fine, just annoyed.

I was in Grand Cayman for the weekend (running there is hot!) so I need to catch up. I guess I answered Thursday before leaving so I only have two to do!

QOTD: Of the Disney races you have run or planning to run, tell us about two of your favorite spots along the course and two spots that you do not like. With W&D, Marathon weekend, and Star Wars weekends all on the horizon, maybe some of our answers can help prepare those who havent run a Disney race can be better prepared for the good and bad of the different races.

I ran Wine & Dine last year. I loved running through Epcot and stopping and taking quick pictures with the “international” cast members at each country. They were so cool. Only thing I didn’t like about the run was after the finish. The lines to take pictures with Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy were LLLLOOONNNGG!

QOTD: Have you ever taken a fall during a race or training run? If so describe the injury and let us know if you finished the run, called it a day, needed to take a few days off, ect...

I’ve fallen a couple of times on training runs. Usually results in scraped palms and knees. The times I remember this happening I did get up and keep going, though I really wanted to quit each time…

Also, I forget who tracks where people have run. Whoever you are, would you be willing to add me to the list? I’ve run in Texas, Colorado, California and Grand Cayman so far this year!

ATTQOTD: It was my last run of living in Arizona (so this was at the beginning of May). We were living in temporary housing on base, all our stuff packed up, and I fell off the road onto thorn bushes and gravel. I had enough momentum going that I slid a couple feet. Got deep gashes in my hip and hand and less severe but still significant scratches over the rest of my body. No one saw but I did call my husband to pick me up. He was driving way too fast for on base and thought I was laying in a ditch with how I sounded. Adrenaline kicked in so I was feeling fine until we got back to the hotel and I tried taking a shower. Almost passed out about 3 times while cleaning everything up and bandaging myself with little bandaids the front desk had. Took forever to heal and I still have some debris in my hand that I've decided I'll just die with it in there lol.

ATTQOTD: About 4-5 years ago while out on a trail run, I was upright one minute, then Superman-style sprawled on the ground the next. Have no recollection of actually falling. Terribly skinned knees, elbows and hands, lots of oozing blood, but overall okay. I had just gotten a new phone that week which was in the front zipper of my Sparkle Skirt, my headphones attached (pre-cordless days, but had just one ear bud in) and the music kept playing. I was so shaken up by the fall and that I was 3-4 miles away from my car (and not on a heavily traveled path) that I refused to look at the phone for another mile or so since a shattered screen would have surely brought tears. It was fine, probably the benefit of the extra few pounds around my stomach that surely cushioned it during the fall.

Are we all jinxing ourselves with this QOTD?!

ATTQOTD: I have fallen twice in a training run. One time on a morning run last year, I was yakking with my friends and not paying attention and I stepped off the edge of a sidewalk and rolled my ankle and fell over. Another time on an evening run last fall in the dark, I was running on an unsidewalked portion of our route. A car coming towards me had wicked bright headlights (I don't know if they were just super bright or if they had their high beams on) but it blinded me and I threw up my hands to shield my eyes and immediately stepped on a loose chunk of asphalt in the road edge (I had coincidentally just hit a spot of the road where the asphalt on the edge was all broken up into a lot of large chunks), rolled my ankle, and fell over. That one was actually scary because it was in the dark and a car was going by (and they were the reason I'd been blinded in the first place).

No real injuries from either one, although I did get a few scrapes (palms, knees) and bruises from the night time fall. I finished both runs afterwards and didn't have to take any time off.

If you'd like to read my 2018 Madison Mini HM recap (link). I ended up with a 1:37:35 which was slower than my goal of sub-90 or a 1:28:50. But with that being said, the goal was a race day prep and current fitness assessment. Not quite sure it was a good judge of current fitness, but I definitely learned several good lessons (many from others pointing them out). So learn and move on to the next one. Next up the big enchilada of Chicago.

QOTD: Have you ever taken a fall during a race or training run? If so describe the injury and let us know if you finished the run, called it a day, needed to take a few days off, ect...

Fortunately, I've never fallen on a run. I've tripped a few times, but managed to stay on my feet.

I was running once and saw another runner take a pretty spectacular fall. We were running along a sidewalk, and he was passing me from behind. At that time, the sidewalk has a slight decline in order to cross the side street, where it then inclined up away from the side street. This guy tripped over nothing in particular that I saw on the decline and really took a dive forward. He very athletically rolled into a somersault with the fall and came up on his feet apparently just a little surprised. He started walking on. Another female runner came up at this time, and we both paused a bit to ask the guy if he was OK, but he didn't seem to hear us with his headphones in and obviously a bit shaken. Since he was walking OK and there was no gushing blood or obvious problems, we both shrugged and went on. Maybe 10 minutes later the guy passed me on the run, so I guess he had no lasting injury. I was just so impressed at how he acted like he'd been practicing that trip-and-dive - who knows, maybe he did martial arts or something.

I'm starting to read up on being fat adapted and the MAF method of running. I'm at the very beginning of the research but was wondering if anyone else here has done any reading on the subject and/or follows the MAF method for endurance? I'm looking into finding a local lab to do my metabolic testing to find my fat vs carb burning % and the crossover point.

ATTQOTD: I feel like I have told this story before, but here we go again...
During the 2016 Disneyland 10k, I fell right before mile one. I was dipping and dodging around people and at the beginning of the 10k it's pretty dark and through really narrow paths. I was up on the sidewalk and tripped on something, still not sure what, and fell face first into the ground. For some reason, I chose not to wear my glasses this day, thankfully, as I slammed the side of my head on the concrete. I was carrying my phone, as I always do, and it hit the ground and the screen cracked. My apple watch screen also hit and cracked. I bunch of runners stopped to help me up (thanks guys!!) and I was just so embarrassed that I ran off while yelling "thanks, I'm fine!!" I had blood running down my knee and my hand was scraped but I just kept going. I end up PR'ing the race and when I stop by the medical tent after the race, the tech was like "WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP??" Ummm well, I wanted to PR. Haha. I ended up with a black eye and maybe some head trauma, who knows, I never got that checked out. And I still have scars on my knee from the fall.

I still have a little fear of falling during a race to this day. It sucks.

Falling & running, I could have a novel :)

The worst was a year ago when I wiped out bad & had Grade 2 sprains in both arms/wrists and my right hand. Couldn't use my arms really for 2 months (as a Photographer let's just my camera felt like it weighed a 100 lbs & I cried after every session & using a mouse to edit was painful. Typing forget about it.). I couldn't even pick up my pets,washing my hair was tears, pouring coffee I needed help, etc. No weights for months & months at all. I cried a lot during this time. I actually still will find my arms fall asleep when they shouldn't or a tingle randomly, nerves are fickle healers. I was a 1/2 mile from home and after sitting on the road in pain and tears, I walked home and bandaged the scrapes. My knees weren't too bad as my arms took it all. I forgot to tuck & roll. It sucked, but I did continue to run/walk with stiff arms (it was rather odd) as I couldn't really swing them, but my legs were A-OK!

Otherwise, I fell during a cross country meet because there was tripping and a guardrail going on.

I slipped & fell in track, it was raining so that was why I'll say.

This trail run years ago and slid as it was slick and crashed into a tree and also half fell into the little creek we were too jump over. It was freezing & I broke a nail.

I slid and fell on icy roads a few times in training.

The most recent was just on grass mostly and I was going slow a couple months ago, nothing big.

There's more, but I try to forget.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter