• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

25 - LSUlakes - Q50 Races Bleau Moon 10 Mi Trail Run (1:35:00 / N/A)

I revised my goal from 1:30:00 to 1:35:00 since I havent really put in many miles at or below 9:00 min/mi. Per @DopeyBadger thread about POT corral placement, that time would get me into C which is better than where I am currently at with no POT. Beside the slower training runs to change my time, considering that the race starts at 8:30 PM and is on a trail I think 1:35:00 will still be a challenge for me on this race. The good news is, I ran 7 miles yesterday and it felt very easy at a 9:10 pace. It was on a TM, so thats part of the reason for it feeling easy.

Has anyone had Lasik? How soon after were you back to running?
I had it done last November on a Thursday morning and I was back at the gym on the Monday for strength training. The doctor's concern was keeping sweat out of my eyes so suggested that I wait a week before running again since I sweat a lot when I run.

I actually only had one eye done. One eye for distance and one for reading and I don't need glasses for either! BEST decision ever!

Sorry that this is only half on-topic: +running -Dis.

My Ragnar team captain asked me to reach out... we are looking for a runner for Runner 8 for Ragnar DC. It's Sep. 28 - 29, starting in western MD and ending in DC. Runner 8 runs 20.6 hilly miles. Our team is non-competitive. We had a full team, but someone had to drop out for personal reasons. Please PM me if interested or with inquiries. Thanks!

QOTD: How do you determine what your goal is for a race? How far out do you make your decision?

ATTQOTD: I'm pretty self-competitive, so I usually have a time goal for all races. Occasionally I'll do something for fun or for the "challenge", but that's rare. I generally have the goal in mind when choosing the race. For example, I'll make sure the course isn't too hilly or that the date is appropriate so that it shouldn't be too hot.

ATTQOTD: I base it off of previous results in a race and realistic expectations I can have for myself. It’s also based on what the time commitment for training will be and how crazy our lives our at home (travel, school, etc).

Yesterday’s question: I try to make up the run if I can. My current plan only has four days of running so it’s not too bad trying to schedule them. I try really hard to get every run done, especially if I am training for a race. I am a lot less likely to skip a run if I am training for something.

Generally I'll pick out a race when I'm scheduling things to make a goal race and to try to race for speed. That way I can train accordingly. And then as the training goes on, I can dial in more specifically what I want my time goal for that race to be. Of course, if training doesn't go well I can also change up the goal. I had wanted my April half this year the one I tried to improve my time but I got injured and knew I wasn't going to be able to train to improve my pace so I threw the goal out the window. Unfortunately, I ended up not being able to run that race at all :(

ATTQOTD: I've mentioned this before, but I don't race a lot. Usually about 2x/year. Sometimes my goal is training/completing a new distance (my goal for the Marathon in Jan). I've really only had 1 specific time goal to get what I thought would be a POT, which I met and was super excited until it wasn't a POT... but I digress.

I am currently trying to debate traveling for a late Sept HM to try for a POT or just accepting the 5:30 corral and do a race in later Oct that is more fun and better organized.

Yesterday ATTQOTD: Sometimes I try to add a little extra mileage to the week, but most of the time I just pull an Elsa and let it go. (Just I'm a lot more annoyed about it than Elsa is)

Today ATTQOTD: I feel like this is one of the few places where I can say this and a few people will understand it ... I don't really set goals. Usually it's just finish. Sometimes it's more about having a good time. Occasionally I'll set a continuous running goal or a time goal, but here's a secret: I've only set a serious time goal once and I didn't reach it*. I have another serious time goal for my next race, and I'm terrified I won't reach it because I never have before. I hate the fact that I'm so scared of this goal. Which is part of why I don't like to set goals ...

Which reminds me. @LSUlakes, when you get a chance, can you update my goal for my 9/30 race (Bronx 10 Mile) to 1:45:00? I'm trying to squeak into corral D for the marathon. Thanks!

*I actually had time goals twice before, but the second time was with a pacer and was a much less aggressive goal, so I don't really count it

Last edited:
QOTD: Of the Disney races you have run or planning to run, tell us about two of your favorite spots along the course and two spots that you do not like. With W&D, Marathon weekend, and Star Wars weekends all on the horizon, maybe some of our answers can help prepare those who havent run a Disney race can be better prepared for the good and bad of the different races.

Two Favorites - 1) Back half of the marathon; It was new scenery I had yet to experience during a WDW run. 2) 5K and 10K (at Marathon and or Princess) when you get to run through EPCOT at night! 3) (I know you only said two, but....) Running Main Street USA!

Two Dislikes - 1) 1st mile or two during the full and/or half marathons (either Marathon or Princess Weekends) 2) Smelling Main Street USA; love it at the parks, but just not running through the parks

QOTD: Have you ever taken a fall during a race or training run? If so describe the injury and let us know if you finished the run, called it a day, needed to take a few days off, ect...

Rarely, but I have taken a digger when my dog sees something interesting and darts across my path! I just brush it off and finish as planned

QOTD: If you have to miss a run for whatever reason, what do you do? Do you move everything back a day, make it up on a rest day, run a double, or just move forward with your plan?

Very rare for me to miss a run. However if it's legit, I usually just add a mile or two on to my other runs. Generally, if I miss a run, I can usually get in a single hard run mile.

ATTQOTD: I actually haven't done much racing so my goal is to finish. Just happy to have the ability to be there and running! I admire those who have time goals but where I'm at right now, I try to keep my expectations super low. Not that I don't put effort into my pacing and race, just don't want to discourage myself.

ATTQOTD: My 1st half I just wanted to finish. Even though my 10K time put me in the 2:25-2:36 corral I don’t think my fitness was good enough to push myself that hard. I ran with a Galloway pace group and finished in 2:29:29. I felt like crap the rest of the day and the following day. After that race last year I wanted to train better, get a better time and not feel so crummy after the race. Now my goals are determined by my training. I went into SWDS with a time I wanted to beat and i did it, but I was much better trained. I have a half coming up in October and I have my A, B & C time goals. Not ready to share those yet. As of today my goal for Dopey is to just finish happy and healthy. Those plans may adjust, but it’s too soon to tell.

ATTQOTD: If we're talking time goals, lately that's determined by what rD requires for PoT, lol! Running is the one thing in my life I've been able to keep competition-free and I rarely have any interest in trying to be "better" at it, time-wise. Other goals - like getting a jumping pic in each park during the WDW marathon - might develop months ahead, or hours before.

This week we have the following folks with races:

24 - @Disney at Heart - Midnight Flight 10k (NG / N/A)
25 - @flav - Montreal Color Run 5k (NG / N/A)
25 - @PaDisneyCouple - ARC of York Rail Trail 10 Miler (1:32:00 / N/A)
25 - LSUlakes - Q50 Races Bleau Moon 10 Mi Trail Run (1:35:00 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you would like to revise your goal or if someone else would like to add a race to the weekend list, just let me know! We look forward to hearing how your race goes!
Can you add a race for me for this weekend please?

25 - jennamfeo - Gaspin in the Aspen 15k (NG / N/A)

ATTQOTD: All you guys saying "fitness level" blowing my mind because yeah, no I don't ever consider if I can fully capable of hitting a goal. I just pick a number that sounds impressive and go for it. LOL. So here I am chasing a sub 2 hour HM because I just want to see if I can do.

like getting a jumping pic in each park during the WDW marathon
Adding this to my WDW list... Haha.

Adding this to my WDW list... Haha.

Just remember that for every jumping pic exists a hilarious "getting ready" & an even funnier "landing" pic. I just love when my race photos include someone in a weird squat bent knee squishy face eyes closed with their arms up. Or even better the one leg up before the other "lift off." It just cracks me up every time. I also equally like wedding party group jump outtakes.

ATTQOTD: I tend to make some goals before the year even starts and then hunt for races to fit in that mold. But they aren't usually time related specifically. More like I'm gonna run a new distance and then PR another distance. The actual number to try to hit...usually that comes a few weeks out...basing off how everything is going and what coach submitted on my plan as the estimate and if I think that's possible.
I also like running lots of "just see what happens" races in the year.

QOTD: How do you determine what your goal is for a race? How far out do you make your decision?

I set my goal when I sign up for a race. Knowing what I want to accomplish (finish, finish in a certain time, etc.) helps me and my coach develop the right training plan. We'll talk about what's realistic before setting the goal and revisit it along the way to take into account how my training has gone. Come race day, I try to have an A goal and a B goal in mind. A is normally my original goal from day 1 for when everything goes well, my fitness is spot on, and I nail the race. B is not quite at the level of my A goal but still a solid performance.

Today ATTQOTD: I feel like this is one of the few places where I can say this and a few people will understand it ... I don't really set goals. Usually it's just finish. Sometimes it's more about having a good time. Occasionally I'll set a continuous running goal or a time goal, but here's a secret: I've only set a serious time goal once and I didn't reach it*. I have another serious time goal for my next race, and I'm terrified I won't reach it because I never have before. I hate the fact that I'm so scared of this goal. Which is part of why I don't like to set goals ...

If they weren't scary and beyond what we've accomplished before, trying to achieve them wouldn't be quite as much fun nor as challenging. I've tried and failed to lower my PR at various distances before, as have many others on here. We might never reach them, though without something to strive for, the training and the effort and the journey don't seem to be as important.

Just remember that for every jumping pic exists a hilarious "getting ready" & an even funnier "landing" pic. I just love when my race photos include someone in a weird squat bent knee squishy face eyes closed with their arms up. Or even better the one leg up before the other "lift off." It just cracks me up every time. I also equally like wedding party group jump outtakes.
Oh I know. I have jumped in almost every park. I have two really solid jump shots from W&D but to have a collection during Dopey sounds like a lot of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter