The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Today is my Friday and I'm preparing for a long weekend with having Monday off as well. With that in mind, what is everyone's plans for the upcoming weekend? Big running plans, family time, road trips?

Someone put this 11-mile run on my training schedule: 1 WU + 7 M-tempo + 1 T-pace + 1 M-tempo + 1 CD. So that's what I'll be doing. :) More seriously, my university teaching started this week, so this weekend is a nice break to adjust back to the reality of my teaching schedule and catch up on prep that I haven't finished yet.

With @LSUlakes MIA (probably busy with work or family stuff is my guess :)), I'll jump in with a QOTD.

QOTD: When do you buy new shoes? Do you wait until your old shoes are retired before buying new shoes? Do you buy new shoes before you retire the old ones? Do you just buy shoes when they're on sale whether or not you need them? And if you do buy new shoes before your old ones are retired, do you start using them right away or wait until the old ones are retired?
(For those of you still on your first pair of shoes, feel free to either tell us what you're thinking of doing in the future or just sit back and take in the responses)

ATTQOTD: I can usually get about 400 miles out of a pair of shoes. I start looking for sales when my shoes hit about 250 miles, and once they're over 300, I'm willing to pay a little more (although I still try to find a sale if I can). I usually start rotating in the new pair when the old pair are a little past 300 miles (or if the other shoes are already over 300, I'll start rotating them in right away).
Also ... I just bought new shoes yesterday. My normally $99 shoes ($109 for the fancy colors) were $45, so I couldn't really say no (even though until a few days ago I wasn't 100% sure I was going to replace these shoes). The shoes they're replacing are at around 280 miles, so I'll probably start throwing them in the rotation in a few weeks.
I may have a shopping problem.

I buy on sale and keep on hand for when I need them. I just bought a pair this week when I took the kids to the Asics outlet for school sneakers and I got a pair for myself on sale. Now I have 2 new pairs in my closet. These, along with my current pair, should get me through to the spring when the next big sale will happen at the Asics outlet. Then the cycle of stocking up on sale continues.

QOTD: Today is my Friday and I'm preparing for a long weekend with having Monday off as well. With that in mind, what is everyone's plans for the upcoming weekend? Big running plans, family time, road trips?

ATTQOTD: Tomorrow is my day to get stuff done, like yard work, oil change, haircut, and grocery store stuff. Saturday will be my usual long run followed by the beginning of the most wonderful time of the year!! College football is back!!!! I plan to watch a few games Saturday but my main game isnt until Sunday when my Tigers take on Miami. Going to smoke a boston butt or two and hang out at the neighbors. With the day off Monday, I am going to go for a run that morning at the lakes as long as I dont have to much fun Sunday night. Hope everyone has a great weekend and for those who are college football fans, best of luck to your team this year. That is unless we play your time that week, then... TIGER BAIT!

Kids are back with their mother this weekend so that means I will be working my second job and running. That's it. School started this week so I am trying to adapt to my new routine, which is why I missed a couple of posts and no motivational quotes this week.

ATTQOTD:
It's getting very "Peak"ish round these parts for my training.
9 miles today. My brother-in-law comes to town tonight.
8 miles Sat. then hanging with my Dad and Aunt.
14 miles Sunday bright and super early: 4mi @ LR + 2 mi @ T + 3 mi @ LR + 1 mi @ T + 4mi LR = 2:30:40
Then we head to St. Joe's and Silver Beach for Labor Day with the fam. Should be a good time. I'll rest my legs with a beach drink and sand in my toes.

My PSA for the day...if you are running in the dark of the morning, please wear reflective clothing and some type of lightening especially on streets that have 0 street lights.

I was thisclose to hitting someone today that was wearing black clothing at 5:45AM.
I had to pull out my Noxgear flashing light vest thing this past week because it's been so dark in the mornings now. Even when I am just running on a multi-use path that no cars are allowed on. I feel like it's courteous for the bikers out there.

I saw somebody in the Philly Marathon running in leather thong sandals. I was tempted to surreptitiously take a pic of his feet but realized that might be rude. Don’t know if he was running the half or full because it was the same course the first 13 miles at that time. Either way though...
There was a guy wearing some really comfy looking Teva sandals at one of my halfs this year. It was impressive.

ATTQOTD: I found out this morning that my husband has to work on Sunday from 12-6, thus ruining my weekend. He claimed that he told me and that I said "XYZ" and I was like "Well, I don't remember you telling me but XYZ is what I am thinking again right now about this." :( No big plans. I have a back to back long run workout scheduled which is really gonna set the tone of my goals for my Half in 17 days (!!!). 8 miles on Saturday followed by breakfast at my in laws, then hopefully some pool time. Then Sunday morning I have 3 mi @ WU + 6 miles @ HM Tempo + 2 mi @ CD, followed by breakfast at my favorite local spot. I might try to meet up with a friend while my husband is working. Monday I plan on sleeping in and doing nothing. It's a holiday weekend so that means that our city and lake will be flooded with Californians getting in their last lake weekend of the summer. Maybe I should go people watch...

Also, it's been nice chatting running with y'all. I'll be back when you're done talking about college football.
Please don't leave me here all alone.

Can't y'all start a College Football thread? :duck:

ATTOQOTD: I have to bring my daughter to a Charlie Puth & Hailee Steinfeld concert in West Palm Beach Saturday night. It’s three hours away so that means run in the morning, drive three hours to the hotel, nap, glam my DD up and sit among hundreds of teens. Outside. At fairgrounds. Yay. Then I get to drive three hours home on Sunday. I’m hoping to see a movie Sunday afternoon and maybe hit up Blizzard Beach on Monday if the weather looks good.

ATTTQOTD: Saturday my training starts in earnest, with a test run to see how far I can go without needing to stop.

It's going to be weird around my house this weekend - first weekend with only one kid in the house since the second one was born, pretty much. No major plans at the moment. We may go into Great America for the Labor Day fireworks.

Based on the way things have been going around here, you and I may have to start our own "no college football discussion" running thread.
Spoiler alert: most of the QOTDs will be about shopping and clothing

ETA: Baseball discussion will be allowed

You know, my husband likes pro football and college football, and I've never been into it. One season I thought that I'd try to watch some of the games and attempt to understand it so that I could do something with him and "be supportive" of his likes. Well, the problem is that I tend to cheer and make (apparently inane) comments about the game. I was asked to stop watching with him. :)

Based on the way things have been going around here, you and I may have to start our own "no college football discussion" running thread.
Spoiler alert: most of the QOTDs will be about shopping and clothing

ETA: Baseball discussion will be allowed

Three Dodgers games this weekend, at least 2 will be watched live. (The Sunday one may collide with gaming with the younger son.)

find someplace safe to do a 4 mile run in Amsterdam on Saturday morning.
Just watch out for bikers, but there are plenty of great places to run around Amsterdam! Amstel Park is huge and has a lot of paths all through it, but again watch out for the bikers. I never ran in Amsterdam, but we biked around town every time we visited! HAVE FUN!

ATTQOTD: Been traveling a ton and have more coming up, so we're trying to stick close to home so we can get some good family time in. Probably spend some time at the pool, maybe take our kiddo to the zoo. My LR is only 6.5 this weekend (fall half is next weekend), so that won't be a big time suck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter