The Running Thread - 2018

To add to what @LSUlakes said - New Orleans is weird that every neighborhood really is a unique mix of awesome and sketchy ... part of the charm of the city.

I wouldn’t stay by City Park, honestly, unless you REALLY wanted to and we’re overly familiar with the area. The best neighborhood there is Bayou St. John, but I really wouldn’t stay anywhere except on Esplanade and pretty much close to Port of Call because yummmmmmmm.

Are you going to have kiddos with you? The Q&C is REAL close to the New Orleans aquarium which is super fun.

QOTD: Today is my Friday and I'm preparing for a long weekend with having Monday off as well. With that in mind, what is everyone's plans for the upcoming weekend? Big running plans, family time, road trips?
Found a true crime podcast about a terrible crime that happened in the city next to mine when I was a kid. So tomorrow I will run and listen to it (its it's my favorite thing about Fridays). We may head out to the Lake Erie Islands for an afternoon but we have no solid plans otherwise.

That's what I WANTED to do, but instead I kept the laughter all in my head and tried to let them down as kindly as I could. One woman was so mad and was yelling at her husband as I walked away.

I'll still be around the marathon weekend thread ... as long as we keep the CFB discussions away from there :)
And I'm always happy to start a conversation about shoe shopping.

Shopping in general is always a good conversation ::yes::

BTW, I don't watch football. Or basketball. Or baseball. I like hockey, but I'm not a super fan and couldn't tell you diddly squat about any team. I just like the game. I like women's soccer too.

I'll ask my wife for suggestions since she is from the area and let you know something over the weekend. NOLA is kinda a weird place, in one block you could have million dollar homes and cross the street and its the exact opposite. That factor makes it a little more difficult.

Thank you so much!! I've noticed that while searching for somewhere to stay...I've never had a problem figuring out where we should be. LOL

Yay!

I would stay in the CBD - specifically the Q&C Hotel Bar Hotel. You’re a two-minute walk to Lafayette Park for the start and they do shuttles back to the CBD from City Park.

If you want to AirBNB, I would stay in the Lower Garden district or Irish Channel - if there will be people spectating you, the closer you can get to St. Charles the better!!

To add to what @LSUlakes said - New Orleans is weird that every neighborhood really is a unique mix of awesome and sketchy ... part of the charm of the city.

I wouldn’t stay by City Park, honestly, unless you REALLY wanted to and we’re overly familiar with the area. The best neighborhood there is Bayou St. John, but I really wouldn’t stay anywhere except on Esplanade and pretty much close to Port of Call because yummmmmmmm.

Are you going to have kiddos with you? The Q&C is REAL close to the New Orleans aquarium which is super fun.

Thank you so much! We will need an AirBNB, as we don't have human children yet and only our fur children. LOL. I have never been to New Orleans so I am definitely not familiar with the area. Actually only ever driven through the entire state of Louisiana. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. I really, really appreciate it!! Hope you're having a blast in Cuba (jealous)!!

ATTQOTD: I bought 4 pairs of Asics Nimbus 19 when they were on clearance at Running Warehouse. They are $159 retail and I got them for $65. I wanted to make sure I trained in the same shoe I was going to use to run the marathon. I usually keep 2 in rotation. I just hit 500 miles on the first pair and will be retiring them - although I ran in them yesterday and they are still in pretty good shape and still feel comfy. My second pair has about 150 miles on them. I recently bought 1 more pair to make sure I have 2 pretty fresh pairs when marathon weekend rolls around. The 19's are getting very hard to find now in my size so I am hoping the 20's go on sale soon or perhaps I will try something new after this group gets retired. I won't pay full retail for any shoe.
About same here (multiple Asics Nimbus 19) except that I rotate them all and the ones that are towards EOL, I use for shorter runs.

ATTQOTD:

I'm going to clean the house! My housemate is away for the weekend, I've got three days, and I think I can make a decent dent in it. Got my usual run scheduled for Saturday morning (I want to do 3.5 miles) and I'm going to try to find time to actually sit down and write out a plan for the next month, put my runs from the last few months in a spreadsheet and/or in Strava, etc. so I can more easily track my monthly mileage and see the larger picture of how things are going.

Fantastic run this morning, btw. And yeah, I'm starting to see that I need to wear lights or reflective gear; it seems like it's very suddenly changed so it's still a bit dim out when I start my run, where I'd been used to the sun being completely up by the time I get moving at 6:30. The end of Daylight Savings will reverse that for a bit when it comes, but better to get the gear sooner rather than later and get in the habit of wearing it.

Fantastic run this morning, btw. And yeah, I'm starting to see that I need to wear lights or reflective gear; it seems like it's very suddenly changed so it's still a bit dim out when I start my run, where I'd been used to the sun being completely up by the time I get moving at 6:30. The end of Daylight Savings will reverse that for a bit when it comes, but better to get the gear sooner rather than later and get in the habit of wearing it.

I suppose I should look into some reflectors. I'm still using my (fluorescent yellow) Light Side Challenge shirt, so that's highly visible, but some reflectors wouldn't go awry.

Thank you so much!! I've noticed that while searching for somewhere to stay...I've never had a problem figuring out where we should be. LOL

Thank you so much! We will need an AirBNB, as we don't have human children yet and only our fur children. LOL. I have never been to New Orleans so I am definitely not familiar with the area. Actually only ever driven through the entire state of Louisiana. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. I really, really appreciate it!! Hope you're having a blast in Cuba (jealous)!!

I’d be happy to send you links to a couple I stayed in before I bought a house on NOLA! They were all in the Irish Channel. CBD will be a little harder, but both Q&C (dog-friendly) and La Quinta are right by the start area.

ATTQOTD:
My husband and I are ending summer the same way we started it with a stay at a local resort. The place is just 45mins away. It is beautiful and quiet.
My plan is to get in my runs and then hang by the pool with a nice glass of wine or two.
Looking forward to the much needed short break

QOTD: Today is my Friday and I'm preparing for a long weekend with having Monday off as well. With that in mind, what is everyone's plans for the upcoming weekend? Big running plans, family time, road trips?

ATTQOTD: It's the last weekend of Summer - at least here in New England. I am getting out of work at 1:30 today and then heading to Maine for the weekend. My In-laws have a very full house this weekend. We are celebrating someone's engagement on Saturday, definitely hitting the beach, going to Portland, and some running. I also have Tuesday off so we won't come home till then and will get to miss all the traffic. I will also try and have my first PSL or fall beer of the season. My busy season is starting at work so going to enjoy this last relaxing weekend.

Last edited:
August totals:

Total miles - 161.95 mi
Total Time - 23:32:20
Average Pace - 8:43
Avg HR - 144

Good month. Added more miles to my base, Avg HR for workouts dropped by 4 from July. Started to throw in some speed work and tempo-ish runs. I was going to start a plan in Aug to try to PR my Half in Nov. Decided I really did not want to ramp up my workouts in August with the temps and humidity where they are at in the Houston area (squishing in my shoes during an easy 7 mile run made that decision for me). So now going to start the plan in Oct for my January Half in Houston.

We aren't doing anything this weekend (besides running) and honestly it's how we like to spend our weekends/holidays. Planning to keep the TV on football and overloading on cheesy chili dip.

August miles- 77.5. Building and getting there! This week was also week 1 of the famous DopeyBadger plan!

August turned out to be a better month than July, at least from a performance perspective. Not so much from a heat and humidity standpoint. After the struggles with pacing that I described in the July update, @DopeyBadger suggested a mini-reset with some easier running for a week or so and it paid off. Over the last couple of weeks, the faster pacing in the back half of my plan has kind of clicked into place and become more natural. Here's hoping that continues into September!

August totals
Running - Total miles - 141.47 mi
Running - Total Time - 25:34:32
Running - Average Pace - 10:55/mile

Cycling - Total miles - 51.20 mi
Cycling - Total time - 3:25:20
Cycling - Average Speed - 14.8 mph

On a different note, I had one of those forgettable runs last night. Due to the heat (T+D=162), I converted my normal Thursday faster run into a relatively easy 9.5 mi run. The first 5 miles went pretty smoothly, but just past that point my stomach decided it had had enough and nausea set in. I ended up having to run/walk the rest of the workout as my stomach allowed. Not sure if it was the heat or if I drank too much water too quickly, but it was not fun. Just going to chalk it up to "one of those days" and look forward to a better run tomorrow.

My wife and I are having an endurance contest. I'm cycling, running, and watching the Premier League, the Vuelta, and CFB all weekend.

I heartily endorse any and all soccer (real football!) discussion! Got a favorite in the Premier? I'm neutral (so far), but Liverpool's run in the Champion's League this year was fun to follow. Wouldn't mind seeing them do well in the EPL this season. So far, so good, but it's early!

August Miles - 172.27

What?!?!? It sure didn't feel like that many! This is the most miles I've ever run in a month.

Wow, that's amazing!

August is usually my worst month (too hot to be outside long, too boring for treadmill long). I also don't have a lot of time to run anyways, but I do walk on my morning break and lunch break at work every day. This month running was 44.58 miles, walking 114.04 miles.

Edit: After further review, I ran my best 5+ mile pace ever last night, 7.52 miles @ 1:04:59

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter