• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

Survived! And wasn't too bad. My group was first to leave and first to come back so no issues. But apparently on some of the last trips back they managed to leave 14 people behind? I don't even?? I was assigned a wheelchair client and I stayed with her the entire time until we got the all clear back at work. How do you not know that you are missing people when you leave? It should have been the same people that you brought..?? Sidewalk talk (what we call gossip) is that someone is in big trouble. But we did manage do do the whole evac and back in 2.5 hours, even going back to pick up the people they left.

Side note - the shirt I pulled out of my closet to wear this morning had ants in it. :confused3 And they didn't start biting me until I got to work. Now I feel like I have things crawling all over me! :crazy2: I do have some nasty welts though. :sad1:

ATTQOTD: I've never regretted signing up for a race, even the 'Death March' marathons.

Not all marathons are 'Death Marches', just some of them. The good news is you get more experience for your money if it IS a Death March!

I have regretted not signing up for a race (or not getting out the door for race day registration).

So true @OldSlowGoofyGuy. You need to add "Wise" to your name!

Not sure if any of you guys run in Saucony Guides like me, but...

The new Guide ISO 2's are out, which means that the Guide ISO's are now on sale $30 off ($90). Just grabbed another pair...

Just for fun I checked out Saucony.com - they have them for an additional 25% off, so $68+ tax. :)

@PrincessV Wanted to tag you so you would see this too!

At first I regretted signing up for a spring half marathon this year when part way through the training my life sort of got turned upside down and I hadn't put in all the work. But after running it, I'm so glad that I did. Although I know I was capable of more if I had trained fully, I still PR'd and realized that not having perfect training shouldn't equal throwing in the towel completely. Be smart, but I have more in me than I give myself credit for.

Still regret not signing up for WDW 10k in 2016. Everyone on WISH was right that I could have done it.

ATTQOTD: I was actually thinking about @roxymama this morning on my run and how I was slightly jealous that her first marathon is the Chicago Marathon. Not that race specifically, but that race singularly. I feel like that gives her the potential for so much. An automatic PR. Maybe even hitting a time goal. The perfect amount of rest before. The possibility of liking the 26.2 distance. Whereas, my first Marathon is going to be day 4 of too many early wake ups and miles on my legs and boozes. Do I regret signing up for Dopey? Nope. If I am spending the time and money to head back to Florida, I am doing all the races. But part of me thinks that I should have ran a singular Marathon first.

And I guess to answer the actual question, outside of that, I don't feel any regrets towards signing up for a race.

Trust me this summer I had many days where I was thinking the opposite. That I should have skipped Chicago and done the full in WDW because it would mean less really hot double digit runs, because this summer was kinda brutal. The grass is always greener. I am jealous because my full won't have stops to take pics with chipmunks...although if it DOES!!! And running around disney scenery sounds like the best kind of distraction. Plus its probably kind of a nice side effect that you won't expect to be your fastest on day 4 vs my internal competitive pressure to do well during this race.
FYI: I'm still like one toe in the pool about Goofy. But just a toe. And the little one.

ATTQOTD: my first and only full marathon was the Dunkin‘ Donuts Cape Cod Marathon. They ran a relay race too, so by the time My slow tush got to aid stations the cytomax was blown out and I had to drink water that tasted like it had soap in it, and there were looong lines for all the port a Johns. To add insult to injury, there were no donuts or coffee at the finish line. After my first rundisney half, I really regretted that race.

Not sure if any of you guys run in Saucony Guides like me, but...

The new Guide ISO 2's are out, which means that the Guide ISO's are now on sale $30 off ($90). Just grabbed another pair...

Thank you! Just picked up a pair for $70+tax (90 plus 25%off with code PECAN25).
I have Guide 10s but it appears the ISOs replaced the regular Guides?
Hopefully they fit the same. Now if only the Kinvaras would go on sale too.
:yay:

ATTQOTD: I am not sure I have ever regretted signing up for a race, but I have regretted running a race. Is that the same? It usually has to do with being under trained, so really I have nobody but myself to blame there. :rolleyes1

Last edited:
Do I regret signing up for Dopey? Nope. If I am spending the time and money to head back to Florida, I am doing all the races. But part of me thinks that I should have ran a singular Marathon first.
I'm in the same boat. I always told myself that if I ever ran a marathon, I would run the Walt Disney World marathon first. And since Dopey was hanging out there and it may be my only opportunity to run the Walt Disney World Marathon, I would go for the whole thing.

You will do great, Dopey is a blast. But if you are truly concerned about the singular marathon experience, it's not too late to conquer a marathon this FALL!! (Just do it)
True, but then my first marathon experience would not be at Walt Disney World. I still fear the marathon distance so I chose Disney World because I think if offers me the most distractions to keep my mind occupied at various points along the course.

I've never regretted signing up for a race, even the 'Death March' marathons.
The end of the Giant Race Half felt that way for me. If it happens again, I know how to deal with it. One foot in front of the other and don't quit.

I’ve regretted races but I try not to dwell on the things I regret as it would put me in a really negative head space
I love this. There comes a point where dwelling on the negative is counterproductive.

Pretty much every single race I’ve ever signed up for.
I often feel this way too. Sometimes early on in the race, I question my sanity, but that goes away once I have my legs under me so to speak.

I am jealous because my full won't have stops to take pics with chipmunks...although if it DOES!!!
Those two chipmunks are awesome. My little sister said she felt bad that I didn't get to high five the San Francisco Giants mascot when I finished the Giant Race. I replied that was okay because I got to high five Chip and Dale dressed as ewoks when I finished the inaugural Star Wars Half. Because Chip and Dale rule.

FYI: I'm still like one toe in the pool about Goofy. But just a toe. And the little one.
Give yourself to the Goofy Side of the Force.

ATTQOTD: Been so busy lately that I'll never catch up to responses on this board. But on today's question, I've regretted signing up for races a few times.

The first time was for the last Houston Marathon in January. About 1-2 months from the race, I was failing to be able to complete my long runs and I knew that I was under trained. So lots of regret for signing up for the full without a good training plan. Fortunately, I was able to switch to the half marathon and I PR'd that race because I was more trained for that HM than for any of the 3 HMs I had done previously. So it worked out.

I also regretted signing up for a 10K I ran a few weeks ago. As I noted in my race report for that (which I'm sure you all read and all remember, just like you will all read and remember this post!), I got sick the week before the race and flaked on my taper, and it was SUPER HOT AND HUMID for this race. Yes, I should have realized that would be the case given it was scheduled to happen in late September in Houston. I won't make that mistake again. I ran the race and though I paced it terribly, my time was OK so I guess all's well that ends well...

My knees and I are currently debating whether signing up for the next Houston Marathon was yet another regrettable decision....

I am so frustrated, angry, upset I don’t even know what to do at this point! This evening was my final training run for Chicago. A nice, easy 3 miles.

About halfway through the run I came up on a guy walking his dogs. I swear I’ve seen and passed him numerous times over the months. I thought I’d given them a wide enough berth as I passed. Apparently not.

As I passed them, one of the dogs turned, lunged and latched onto my forearm. I’ve got two deep punctures, one of which immediately swelled up like it had a shooter marble in it. The guy gave me his info and I had to walk a mile and a half home to get the car and drive to the urgent care.

The urgent care saw something on my x-rays they didn’t like, so now I’m sitting in the ER waiting on anything from an all clear to a CT scan to possible surgery. I’m exhausted.

The good news is that nobody thinks I’ll have to skip Chicago (yet). The bad news is I’ll be running it on two high powered antibiotics with attendant side effects. I certainly won’t be in a condition to shoot for the big sub-4:00 major PR attempt, it doesn’t feel like.

Thanks for letting me vent and moan a little!

I am so frustrated, angry, upset I don’t even know what to do at this point! This evening was my final training run for Chicago. A nice, easy 3 miles.

About halfway through the run I came up on a guy walking his dogs. I swear I’ve seen and passed him numerous times over the months. I thought I’d given them a wide enough berth as I passed. Apparently not.

As I passed them, one of the dogs turned, lunged and latched onto my forearm. I’ve got two deep punctures, one of which immediately swelled up like it had a shooter marble in it. The guy gave me his info and I had to walk a mile and a half home to get the car and drive to the urgent care.

The urgent care saw something on my x-rays they didn’t like, so now I’m sitting in the ER waiting on anything from an all clear to a CT scan to possible surgery. I’m exhausted.

The good news is that nobody thinks I’ll have to skip Chicago (yet). The bad news is I’ll be running it on two high powered antibiotics with attendant side effects. I certainly won’t be in a condition to shoot for the big sub-4:00 major PR attempt, it doesn’t feel like.

That is horrible but I’m glad you are (mostly) ok. I’m so sorry your PR might not happen.

My husband always carries pepper spray and has some for me as well because of people and badly behaved dogs. Glad the owner was responsible and gave you his information.

Oh goodness - that’s awful! I’m glad the owner gave you his info and hopefully his doggos are all up-to-date on shots and things so nothing is wrong.

Do you happen to be allergic to Penacillin?

Oh goodness - that’s awful! I’m glad the owner gave you his info and hopefully his doggos are all up-to-date on shots and things so nothing is wrong.

Do you happen to be allergic to Penacillin?

I am, unfortunately. Amoxicillin makes me break out in hives and turn purple like Barney the Dinosaur. The severity of the reaction escalates every time I take it, so none of that for me! So I’ve got a cipro/something else combo to take.

Yikes! Glad it's not too serious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter