• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I regretted signing up for Goofy in 2017. I just really wasn't properly trained and was dreading it. As it turned out, the half was cancelled due to the storms, so we ran the marathon only and that was likely best for ME, although I felt terrible for others.

ATTQOTD: I moreso regret not training rather than signing up for the race. For example this weekend, I was supposed to run a half, signed up for it last year when it was released. I could do it if I wanted to, but I decided to switch to the 5K (for a fee, of course) because I'm slightly undertrained and having some nagging aches and pains. I have no regrets on signing up for the half at all, these things happen.

I regretted signing up for some races this Spring. I had signed up really early to take advantage of lower pricing but then got tendinitis and had to miss the races.

Not sure if any of you guys run in Saucony Guides like me, but...

The new Guide ISO 2's are out, which means that the Guide ISO's are now on sale $30 off ($90). Just grabbed another pair...
I'm in the midst of trying to find a different shoe and just noticed that last night... 3 days after I ordered a pair of Guides at full price. :headache: If they wind up being keepers, I'll return 'em and reorder at the sale price, lol!

QOTD: Have you ever regretted signing up for a race?
ATTQOTD: Kind of... I registered for a 10K in hopes of using it for POT - the only reason I was running it. But race day, I woke up feeling like garbage and the heat made it impossible to race for time, so I bailed 3 miles in. At the moment, I regretted even bothering, lol!

ATTQOTD: I regret signing up for Louisville 70.3 in 2016. I knew when I signed up that I was ambivalent about doing another 1/2 Ironman, but I kept telling myself that I should do another one. I had done pretty well with the first one and so felt pressure to improve my performance. I also felt like I should try to be more "social" and had joined a tri club and there were 60-70 people from the club who had signed up. But the problem is: I am basically a solo traveler when it comes to training so the whole social thing was lost on me, and I just don't think I can improve enough at two of the disciplines to be competitive enough to satisfy my need for results. And the fact is, I just don't enjoy doing tris for "the fun of it".

During training--winter in MI., no less-- I started to feel my c5/c6 symptoms "whisper" at me. And my DH and I had a bike trip to Spain in June hat I did not want to jeopardize. So with about a month or so to go before the race, I decided not to do it. This made me both happy to be relieved of the pressure, and guilty for not seeing it through. Honestly, a no win for me.

ATTQOTD: I was actually thinking about @roxymama this morning on my run and how I was slightly jealous that her first marathon is the Chicago Marathon. Not that race specifically, but that race singularly. I feel like that gives her the potential for so much. An automatic PR. Maybe even hitting a time goal. The perfect amount of rest before. The possibility of liking the 26.2 distance. Whereas, my first Marathon is going to be day 4 of too many early wake ups and miles on my legs and boozes. Do I regret signing up for Dopey? Nope. If I am spending the time and money to head back to Florida, I am doing all the races. But part of me thinks that I should have ran a singular Marathon first.

And I guess to answer the actual question, outside of that, I don't feel any regrets towards signing up for a race.

With the usual strange Chicago weather the past week, I was able to really see the impact of high temps / dew points. I ran 9 miles (1 easy, 7 M pace, 1 easy) on both Sept 26th and Oct 3rd on the same trail with very different results:

.........................................26-Sep...............3-Oct

Temp + DP......................92 (50+42).......156 (88+68)

Plan Total Time (hrs:min).......1:57.................1:57
Plan Pace (min:sec)..............12:38...............12:38

Actual Time...........................1:51.................2:03
Actual Pace..........................12:18...............13:36

Average Heart Rate.................125..................149
Max Heart Rate.......................146..................180

I think the heart rate data tells the story. My max HR on the cool run was less than my average HR on the hot run. The faster cool run felt really good, almost too easy to be a @DopeyBadger "hard run". The slower hot run was very difficult, and I felt completely drained afterwards. I slowed down and walked a bit more when I noticed my HR was in the 170's for a 60 year old guy. The 12 minute difference in time was not as significant as the effort, which was like day and night (or perhaps like cold and hot).

Nine days until my first marathon, which will be on the same trail. I can only hope the weather is more like last Wednesday than yesterday. The forecast is showers and 53 degrees, but that will change frequently.

ATTQOTD: I was actually thinking about @roxymama this morning on my run and how I was slightly jealous that her first marathon is the Chicago Marathon. Not that race specifically, but that race singularly. I feel like that gives her the potential for so much. An automatic PR. Maybe even hitting a time goal. The perfect amount of rest before. The possibility of liking the 26.2 distance. Whereas, my first Marathon is going to be day 4 of too many early wake ups and miles on my legs and boozes. Do I regret signing up for Dopey? Nope. If I am spending the time and money to head back to Florida, I am doing all the races. But part of me thinks that I should have ran a singular Marathon first.

You will do great, Dopey is a blast. But if you are truly concerned about the singular marathon experience, it's not too late to conquer a marathon this FALL!! (Just do it)

ATTQOTD: I've never regretted signing up for a race, even the 'Death March' marathons.

Not all marathons are 'Death Marches', just some of them. The good news is you get more experience for your money if it IS a Death March!

I have regretted not signing up for a race (or not getting out the door for race day registration).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter