• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I definitely get my flu shot!
I had influenza at the end 2013, picking it up from family at Christmas. (If you're sick, maybe stay home from Christmas Eve? Novel idea...) and it knocked me down for over a week. My mom was the only person that didn't get sick and coincidentally the only one that had her flu shot!

For real, my family is the worst about this. It is part of how DH is goading me into taking a trip over vacation. We have ended up sick from Christmas Eve every year for 10 years. The cousin who dropped her kid off with a fever and went to work made her way onto my crap list forever.

My 6 year old asked me if I had to get a shot when I gave birth to her and I said yes and now she doesn't want to have babies because she doesn't like shots. She says she is going to grow up to be a cat lady. LOL.
tumblr_m1tdfloZQh1rodq3do1_500.gif

My 6 year old asked me if I had to get a shot when I gave birth to her and I said yes and now she doesn't want to have babies because she doesn't like shots. She says she is going to grow up to be a cat lady. LOL.

I hated shots growing up. Had the worst anxiety about them. I would cry all week knowing I needed to get one. My mom told me to never have kids then because you get more than a shot. Ended up with 2 C sections :rotfl2:

QOTD: Kind of a off topic type question for today, but a little related. Are you going to get the flu shot this year? Reason for or against it? The tie into running here is if it you get the flu, one would miss a good amount of training.

They'll offer them at work shortly, and I'll go get one then.

I'm keeping mine as NG because really I just want to finish. My super secret (put now very public) goal would be 4:59:59 or lower. We'll see come race day if I'm feeling like I can push at the end or not. If I can run my training pace?? But realistically...I just want to run this distance and if I have to settle into something comfortable that isn't my training pace...that's ok. I feel prepared.

The secret's out @roxymama!!! You got this. Best of luck. Can't wait to hear all about it next week.

Ran for the first time at work over lunch today. Learned some things: #1, the noon day sun is WAY worse than the 6:30pm sun. #2, there is no where to get water without badging through security (will bring a water bottle to place strategically tomorrow). #3, SURPRISE, no hot water in showers (not a permanent thing... I hope! According to another runner in there, they had it last week. At least I wasn't hot anymore!).

I have a shoe question:

How much mileage do you leave on a pair of shoes you plan to wear for a race?

You will probably get different answers from every single person here, and it's definitely at least in part personal preference, but for me ... I usually get about 400-425 miles out of a pair of shoes, and I like to have no more than 300-350 miles on the shoes for race day (depending on the length of the race - shorter races I'll wear shoes with more miles). Definitely need to have at least 50 miles on the shoes.

I have a shoe question:

How much mileage do you leave on a pair of shoes you plan to wear for a race?

Anything 10-miler or down, wherever the shoes are at (usually 180-200). Half is a crapshoot. Fulls always get brand new shoes with 25-50 miles on them.

ATTQOTD: DH is a big believer in the flu shot, so I get one to make him stop nagging. He had his Monday, I get to wait at least another 10+ days before mine due to an infection from a stupid cold.

Completely understand the whole "It's Christmas and a mandatory family gathering even if you should be in bed" people. My parents are that way. The year they came home with some interesting bug from a visit to Asia (some flu variation) was a year that Christmas should have been postponed but my mother would not hear of it.

Boston:
I've been dreading the rumored 2020 change, though I can see why it was necessary with the 4:52 cut off for 2019. I signed up for my first and only marathon in hopes of 2020 Boston. I was planning on running 5+ min faster, but not sure if I have 10 min in me. I've never run a marathon before and this is likely my only shot, so all my eggs are in one basket and I'm extremely nervous.

Flu shot: YAAASSSSSS
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

YIKES. Seeing that out there like that is the scariest thing everrrrr.

From my own experience: I can think of at least 4 (possibly 6) cases where 'putting it out there' helped make it happen.

When the going got tough, I had the thought: it will be a heck (actual thought did not include the word heck) of a lot more fun composing an 'I did it' post, than the opposite. I'd even distract myself by composing it.

Go get your '1'!

QOTD: Kind of a off topic type question for today, but a little related. Are you going to get the flu shot this year? Reason for or against it? The tie into running here is if it you get the flu, one would miss a good amount of training.

ATTQOTD: I got mine yesterday at work. I do not always get it, but when I do I normally get some sort of sinus cold right after. Odds are its just coincidence that happens but in my mind I have to blame something. So, I already have a sinus cold, so I figured why not. Plus I had the flu last year and that sucker is for the birds!

Yes, I will be getting the flu shot. I hardly ever get sick and don't like needles so I used to justify skipping the shot because of that...but even if I don't get sick, I could be a flu carrier without the shot. It's hard to justify possibly spreading the virus to an at-risk person just because I don't like to get a shot. For example, I have a niece with a rare genetic problem and thus a compromised immune system.

Tens of thousands of people per year die from the flu or its effects (such as dehydration), so I will not contribute in any way to that. Sorry to sound strident, but this is something that I feel strongly about.

I do usually get the shot after a target race rather than before, because it is possible to have a bit of a reaction to it for a few days and I wouldn't want that before a race. And it makes my arm sore. :)

Anything 10-miler or down, wherever the shoes are at (usually 180-200). Half is a crapshoot. Fulls always get brand new shoes with 25-50 miles on them.

This was what I was thinking. I have a new pair that would look awesome with my full costume so I’ll keep mileage low on those.

ATTQOTD: I always got the flu shot, for myself and those around.

Probably not. If I do I don't usually get the shot I get the nasal spray instead.
That one is alive and prevents the receiver to be in contact with people at risk. The one year the nurse insisted that my DDs get the nasal spray instead of the needle (which they prefer... go figure) was the one my MIL was terminal... Go tell her and the kids « no hugs, stay away » in those moments. Lesson learned, the hard way.

ATTQOTD: Got mine last week. I work in a hospital and it is a condition of employment unless you have a medical reason for exemption. But, I would get it regardless. Like others have said, I didn't get them many years back until one year I got the flu. The sickest I've ever been. I never want to go through that again, so it's a flu shot for me and all my family every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter