The Running Thread - 2018

Oh, I forgot. I came on tonight because I need to see if anyone had heard Disney is no longer giving medals to people that are swept. My girlfriend heard that from someone and asked me if it’s true. I didn’t hear it so I didn’t know if anyone else heard. I figured if anyone would know it would be @Keels.

That rumor seems to make the rounds through the internet shortly before each race weekend rolls around. I think it’s just trolls getting the underprepared segment of Disney runners riled up for a laugh.

Oh, I forgot. I came on tonight because I need to see if anyone had heard Disney is no longer giving medals to people that are swept. My girlfriend heard that from someone and asked me if it’s true. I didn’t hear it so I didn’t know if anyone else heard. I figured if anyone would know it would be @Keels.

LOL, no. That would be a false rumor.

Injury Update:

Went to the doctor for my 5 week check-up. I have been freed to walk in the boot for up to a half hour for every hour of the day. Pain is getting much better and the healing is going well. If this pace and healing continues I will be cleared to loose the boot and begin PT in just three weeks! My foot still gets really tender, but I am able to get around some now. So excited to hear that PT is just a few weeks away. Following every instruction my doctor gives so I can get better and start running again. Happy Tuesday to all!

That rumor seems to make the rounds through the internet shortly before each race weekend rolls around. I think it’s just trolls getting the underprepared segment of Disney runners riled up for a laugh.

LOL, no. That would be a false rumor.

Thanks guys, I didn't think so. I wish they would but then they would lose a lot of business.

Injury Update:

Went to the doctor for my 5 week check-up. I have been freed to walk in the boot for up to a half hour for every hour of the day. Pain is getting much better and the healing is going well. If this pace and healing continues I will be cleared to loose the boot and begin PT in just three weeks! My foot still gets really tender, but I am able to get around some now. So excited to hear that PT is just a few weeks away. Following every instruction my doctor gives so I can get better and start running again. Happy Tuesday to all!

Awesome news. Keep up the good work. Before you know it this will be a distant memory.

My last Half thought me a few things:
- Running a Marathon in 3:50 is achievable if I set my heart and energy on it,
- Pushing a distance is not necessarily my idea of fun.

Then, the BQ change arrived just when I had those thoughts and, now, I have no confidence that if I run 3:50 (new BQ time), it would mean that I could run Boston. It probably means that I have to aim at 3:45 because nobody tries to make it just on time. Attempting it might just make me hate that Marathon distance forever. While running it at Disney in a multi-race challenge (I love challenges) at an enjoyable pace might get me hook for a while.

So, to try to BQ in 2019 or not, that is the question and I tend to think, no.

I think its great that you are doing what you want to do to support your continued positive engagement with running. That's where you are right now, and it doesn't mean you are any less of a runner, and it also doesn't mean that you will never change your mind. It just means you have the awareness and confidence to do what's best for you right now.

QOTD: Kind of a off topic type question for today, but a little related. Are you going to get the flu shot this year? Reason for or against it? The tie into running here is if it you get the flu, one would miss a good amount of training.

ATTQOTD: I got mine yesterday at work. I do not always get it, but when I do I normally get some sort of sinus cold right after. Odds are its just coincidence that happens but in my mind I have to blame something. So, I already have a sinus cold, so I figured why not. Plus I had the flu last year and that sucker is for the birds!

To start of the fist weekend of October and the 4th quarter of the year, we have the following folks with races:

October
06 - @michigandergirl - GRR Runway 5k (NG / N/A)
06 - @Slogger - Freedom's Run Marathon (4:22:00 / N/A)
06 - @Bree - Under the Oaks Half Marathon (TBD / N/A)
06 - @apdebord - Crawlin' Crab 5k (33:57 / N/A)
06 - @Sanchez - Isle of Palms Connector 5k (20:45 / N/A)
07 - @*DisneyDreamer - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon (NG / N/A)
07 - @roxymama - Chicago Marathon (NG / N/A)
07 - @camaker - Chicago Marathon (3:59:59 / N/A)
07 - @ZellyB - Chicago Marathon (4:59:59 / N/A)
07 - @Chris-Mo - Chicago Marathon (4:59:59 / N/A)
07 - @cburnett11 - Chicago Marathon (3:48:xx / N/A)
07 - @DopeyBadger - Chicago Marathon (2:59:59 / N/A)
07 - LSUlakes - Space City 10 Miler (1:39:30 / N/A)
07 - @jennamfeo - Oregon Women's Half Marathon (1:59:59 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you would like to revise your goal or are no longer running the race, just let me know. If anyone else would like to add a race to the list for this weekend, also let me know and I will be happy to add you to the list!

QOTD: Kind of a off topic type question for today, but a little related. Are you going to get the flu shot this year? Reason for or against it? The tie into running here is if it you get the flu, one would miss a good amount of training.
ATTQOTD: No flu shots ever again for me - my doc banned them after a series of increasingly worse autoimmune reactions to them. So I'm dependent on others getting the shot and/or staying home when they have the flu, and taking as many precautions as I can. LOTS of hand washing, trying to never touch my face with my hands, avoiding confined spaces with other people (read: Disney buses, airplanes, sick coworkers' offices.) I've had the flu twice and both times I wound up with secondary pneumonia and it took a solid 6 months to fully recover; I never want to go through that again!

(As an aside, my son had the flu a few years ago and my doc immediately started me on Tamiflu as a preventative - it worked! Despite caring directly for my son in our home, I never contracted the flu.)

Yes. The flu shot is not completely effective, the risk of an adverse reaction is low, I understand this and understand the math. This is enough for me to be in favor- flu is horrible and I do not want to experience it ever again. More people are taken out from the flu than the flu shot. Add into it my time with tiny, fragile preemies and being terrified by those who were carrying flu, whooping cough, and measles (all of which had outbreaks in my county at the time), and I will also be vaccinated to protect those who cannot be- I am bound to try to protect others. I do all sorts of things to lessen possible misery, getting a free shot that has been shown to lessen the duration and severity if you still contract the virus makes me whine a bit is not on the extreme end of things I do.

Funny aside, last year we had a friend with a new baby. We told the 4 year olds, who were old enough to understand they do not like shots and know they were coming, that they had to get the shot to play with the baby. This year before their September check up, one of the kiddos told me she did not really like babies anymore so she did not need a shot. Lucky her, they did not have any in stock the week we were there, but they do now!

ATTQOTD: I get the flu shot every year, my son has chronic kidney disease, and so we need to minimize the risks in that regard. But even without that, the fact that the two years I missed the shot (both times I was sick when work was giving it out, so couldn't take it, and never got around to getting it from a clinic or doctor) I got the flu, so I prefer to get the vaccine anyways.

@LSUlakes, I may be mistaken, but I always thought that while the flu virus is dead, your body is going to react to it being introduced (hence, how you become immune). That can result in a show of symptoms indicating your body is reacting to the presence of the dead virus, and makes you feel ill.

Fun story, a few years back I sat for the shot, they jabbed it in, and the syringe (not the needle) proceeded to bust open when they pushed the plunger down, spraying me and the nurse with the vaccine. The nurse had to call a doctor to verify it was ok to give me another shot, and they made me wait twice as long before returning to work afterwards.

ATTQOTD: I also got mine at work yesterday. I used to pass on the shot "because I never got the flu". Well, one season a few years ago, I did get the flu. It was miserable and the sickest I've been since I had mono 20 years ago. I don't want to do that again! So I always get a flu shot now. It's true that it's not 100% effective and its efficacy depends heavily on how well the experts predict the 3-4 predominant strains each season. Even in the event of a strain mismatch like last year having had the shot can still reduce the severity and duration of the flu if you get it. In addition, my wife is a school administrator and brings home a broad spectrum of exposure so anything I can do for my immune system is a plus. Also, the more people that have the shot, the more protection that we provide to immunocompromised individuals like @PrincessV through herd immunity.

Probably not. If I do I don't usually get the shot I get the nasal spray instead.

ATTQOTD: I got mine yesterday at work. I do not always get it, but when I do I normally get some sort of sinus cold right after. Odds are its just coincidence that happens but in my mind I have to blame something. So, I already have a sinus cold, so I figured why not. Plus I had the flu last year and that sucker is for the birds!

No flu shot for me. There are thousands of strains of the flu and the shot has 3-4. In my opinion it is just another money maker for the pharmaceutical companies. When the weather people can predict the weather correctly then I may start to think they can predict the strain of flu correctly. In all seriousness, I asked my kid's pediatrician's opinion, because my son has some medical issues so I always do what's best for him, and he said he wouldn't get it for his kids for the same reasons I mentioned. I am not opposed to it, I just won't go out of my way for it either.

@Wendy98 Thanks for sharing your story. It's stories like yours and others on this thread that make me believe that anything is possible if you stick with it.

ATTQOTD: I did get the flu shot. I work at a health science university so they come to the school and offer it. The staff is not required to get them, but since they are here and its covered by insurance, I figure why not.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I will probably get one for the first time ever this year. They have free shots on base for all personnel this month, so I’ll take advantage of that. Just a little paranoid with going to WDW in January and want to be healthy for the marathon. Murphy’s Law, I’ll probably get a different strain not covered, but I did some reading yesterday that mentioned that even if you still get the flu, the shot will help you fight it, you’ll get better faster and the risk for pneumonia or other complications is reduced.

ATTQOTD: No, I never intentionally get the flu shot. I got one unintentionally back in like 2000 because I went to the doctor for a physical and she just... gave me one while I was there, like I mean I probably could have said "hey what are you doing, I didn't ask for a flu shot" but I'm not really a person that likes confrontation or making waves, so I just sat there while she did it. :o

I work at home as a software developer, so I have no professional requirements to get one or office transmission risk, and I have no kids, so no kid transmission risk.

ATTQOTD: I definitely get my flu shot!
I had influenza at the end 2013, picking it up from family at Christmas. (If you're sick, maybe stay home from Christmas Eve? Novel idea...) and it knocked me down for over a week. My mom was the only person that didn't get sick and coincidentally the only one that had her flu shot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter