• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Hubby works in medicine and has the potential to bring home all kinds of fun germs, so it is a yes for me. Apparently the flu, while always around, has started early in our area this year so I probably should go ahead and get this scheduled.

ATTQOTD: My employer (a university with a medical center) offers the flu shot for free to faculty and staff, so, if my schedule allows, I do try to go get one. Shows how committed I am to not turning down free stuff :P

To start of the fist weekend of October and the 4th quarter of the year, we have the following folks with races:

October
06 - @michigandergirl - GRR Runway 5k (NG / N/A)
06 - @Slogger - Freedom's Run Marathon (4:22:00 / N/A)
06 - @Bree - Under the Oaks Half Marathon (TBD / N/A)
06 - @apdebord - Crawlin' Crab 5k (33:57 / N/A)
06 - @Sanchez - Isle of Palms Connector 5k (20:45 / N/A)
07 - @*DisneyDreamer - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon (NG / N/A)
07 - @roxymama - Chicago Marathon (NG / N/A)
07 - @camaker - Chicago Marathon (3:59:59 / N/A)
07 - @ZellyB - Chicago Marathon (4:59:59 / N/A)
07 - @Chris-Mo - Chicago Marathon (4:59:59 / N/A)
07 - @cburnett11 - Chicago Marathon (3:48:xx / N/A)
07 - @DopeyBadger - Chicago Marathon (2:59:59 / N/A)
07 - LSUlakes - Space City 10 Miler (1:39:30 / N/A)
07 - @jennamfeo - Oregon Women's Half Marathon (1:59:59 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you would like to revise your goal or are no longer running the race, just let me know. If anyone else would like to add a race to the list for this weekend, also let me know and I will be happy to add you to the list!

Go ahead and change my goal from 2:59:59 to "Negative Split". Not sure where my fitness is at the moment, but a 2:59:59 would be a shock with how much of a mess the last few months have been. So I've got no time expectation for this race. I've run 12 marathons to date and only negative split once. So I want to see if I can aim for that as a goal. Of course I'll be running blind to pace and just running by effort like I prefer to do for racing. So I'll have no idea if I achieve this goal until after the race is over.

If you'd like to track me on race day, I'm bib #4567. :D

On to that victory lap! :car:

QOTD: Kind of a off topic type question for today, but a little related. Are you going to get the flu shot this year? Reason for or against it? The tie into running here is if it you get the flu, one would miss a good amount of training.

ATTQOTD: I copied and pasted @camaker 's post because my answer is eerily almost exactly the same. I've edited it slightly to apply to me:

I will get mine at work in a few weeks. I used to pass on the shot "because I never got the flu". Well, one season a few years ago, I did get the flu. It was miserable and the sickest I've been since I had mono 34 years ago. I don't want to do that again! So I always get a flu shot now. It's true that it's not 100% effective and its efficacy depends heavily on how well the experts predict the 3-4 predominant strains each season. Even in the event of a strain mismatch like last year having had the shot can still reduce the severity and duration of the flu if you get it. In addition, my wife works at a hospital and brings home a broad spectrum of exposure so anything I can do for my immune system is a plus. Also, the more people that have the shot, the more protection that we provide to immunocompromised individuals like @PrincessV through herd immunity.

ATTQOTD: YES! I got it last week. My husband is pretty much lined up and required to get his and I always make sure the kids get theirs too (which I hope the clinic gets them in soon). A friend of a friend lost her 2 year old to the flu so I’m really for the shot in addition to good handwashing and regular cleaning/sanitizing during the flu season.

ATTQOTD: already did. I get one every year. 2 years ago I got the flu after having pneumonia even though I had the shot.

My biggest reason for getting it is 2 girls I went to school with ended up on life support from the flu. One for a week, one for a month (she then lived in a rehab facility for several more months because of kidney failure from the flu). Neither had gotten the shot. The flu is awful.

ATTQOTD: I haven't gotten a flu shot since I got out of the Navy 6 years ago, since they forced everyone to get it. We were pretty good at making my 6 year old get hers but I think she missed it last year. I'm on the fence about it for myself personally. If they bring someone on site to my office, then I would probably do it. I am just far too lazy to go somewhere specifically for a flu shot. (And now that I am looking at my work email, it looks like they have already came to my office, so I guess I will pass.)

ATTQOTD: I have never had the flu nor have I ever gotten a flu shot. However, after being diagnosed with pneumonia last week I have no desire to contract the flu during Dopey training so I will be getting the flu shot next week. I'm spending a lot of money for race weekend and don't want to risk it.

@LSUlakes Can you update my goal time to 2:06:59, please? Now that it's out there publically it gives me more drive to fight for that number (as well as making my stomach turn).

YIKES. Seeing that out there like that is the scariest thing everrrrr.

This year before their September check up, one of the kiddos told me she did not really like babies anymore so she did not need a shot.
My 6 year old asked me if I had to get a shot when I gave birth to her and I said yes and now she doesn't want to have babies because she doesn't like shots. She says she is going to grow up to be a cat lady. LOL.

ATTQOTD: Probably not. Although reading all these stories has me reconsidering it.

LOL @jennamfeo Bay is my kind of girl! Hospitals and all that fun stuff that goes along with it is the main reason I have not had a kid yet. I'll be a dog lady and she can be a cat lady!

To start of the fist weekend of October and the 4th quarter of the year, we have the following folks with races:

October

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you would like to revise your goal or are no longer running the race, just let me know. If anyone else would like to add a race to the list for this weekend, also let me know and I will be happy to add you to the list!

Best of luck everyone with your running events this weekend! Hoping for good weather, no injuries, and perhaps a PR or two for some of us.

ATTQOTD: I had thyroid surgery 4 years ago and they made me get a flu shot. And I got the flu not once but twice that Winter. It was awful.

I have avoided flu shots ever since but they are free through our insurance company and maybe I should not be so stubborn about these things.
Our local pharmacy hands out lollipops after you get the shot so how can I pass that up?

October

I'm keeping mine as NG because really I just want to finish. My super secret (put now very public) goal would be 4:59:59 or lower. We'll see come race day if I'm feeling like I can push at the end or not. If I can run my training pace?? But realistically...I just want to run this distance and if I have to settle into something comfortable that isn't my training pace...that's ok. I feel prepared.

ATTQOTD: Shots shots shots shots! Yeah, I will get one. My employer gives them but I'd pay if they didn't. I needed to for a long time to give myself the best chance to be healthy enough to be around family members with low immunity. My daughter and husband will get them too. I'm waiting until after this weekend though because I'm prone to getting irritation by needle sites and I didn't want that bugging me during my big race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter