The Running Thread - 2018

I thought that when I started running again a few weeks back, that I would have at least a month a half to get ready to run outside in the snow. Oops, my bad.

ACK!!! TOO SOON!!

ATTQOTD: My race on Sunday was only 1 second slower on my watch than official. Which is why one of the photos at the finish line is me clicking my watch. Races where I'm going for that good finish photo I always click few seconds later.
I've had two races where I started my watch by accident in the corral and stopped it while going across the start line. DOH!

I'm looking for advice regarding running with wet shoes/socks. My first trail marathon is Saturday in suburban Chicago and the original course is flooded up to three feet deep. The alternate 6.55 mile loop course will probably have two 30-feet sections with ankle depth water. So I'll get to slog through water 8 times.

I worried about blisters running 26 miles with wet feet. I've never run in Injinji toe socks; could they be helpful? Any other advise? I know....nothing new on race day.....Thanks!!

I love my Injinji socks! I wore them in the Little Rock Marathon this year and it poured down most of the race. I was completely soaked from head to toe and I did not get a single blister! Plus I am slow, so I was running in wet socks, shoes for almost 6 hours.

I'm looking for advice regarding running with wet shoes/socks. My first trail marathon is Saturday in suburban Chicago and the original course is flooded up to three feet deep. The alternate 6.55 mile loop course will probably have two 30-feet sections with ankle depth water. So I'll get to slog through water 8 times.

I worried about blisters running 26 miles with wet feet. I've never run in Injinji toe socks; could they be helpful? Any other advise? I know....nothing new on race day.....Thanks!!

I don't have much history to draw from, but I covered my feet (like every inch) in body glide before putting my normal wicking socks on this weekend. But I was only contending with giant puddles and nothing ankle deep. Made it out with minimal blister damage. I had my hubby carry two baggies with pairs of dry socks, but once I got going I wasn't going to stop to change anything. Stopping would be worse for me than getting a blister.

so, yeah, this is a story about alabama football. but it's also about athlete nutrition and might be helpful for endurance athletes.

How Alabama uses 2 beverages to help fuel players

Not every resource at Alabama is a piece of expensive, high-tech equipment.

Some products are even available at your local grocery store or, for Crimson Tide football players, inside the refrigerators within the Alabama weight room and dining facility.

Stocked up inside of those refrigerators are two of Alabama's secret weapons.

One helps with building muscle. The other aids with muscle recovery while also promoting better sleep.

Fairlife milk and tart cherry juice.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/10/how_alabama_uses_2_beverages_t.html

and yes, @DopeyBadger there are links to the studies included.

I worried about blisters running 26 miles with wet feet. I've never run in Injinji toe socks; could they be helpful? Any other advice? I know....nothing new on race day.....Thanks!!

8 water crossings! Good luck and can't wait to hear how it goes!
Good advice so far. For trail events, I usually carry an extra pair or two of socks, and try to start with socks which wick water away from my feet pretty quickly.

ATTQOTD: On my last race my watch time was .04 of a second faster than my official time--so pretty darn close! The problem was that my watch had me running about .4 of a mile short of the race distance, so that led to a huge discrepancy between my watch pace/mile and my official pace/mile...

I did an ice bath once and I'm not sure it helped at all. It was unpleasant though, so there's that.

ATTQOTD: My watch time is usually within a few seconds. I try to run across the finish line and then stop my watch, not try to do it at the exact same time. I am, however, usually discouraged at how terrible I am at running tangents based on my watch distance ;)

so, yeah, this is a story about alabama football. but it's also about athlete nutrition and might be helpful for endurance athletes.

How Alabama uses 2 beverages to help fuel players

Not every resource at Alabama is a piece of expensive, high-tech equipment.

Some products are even available at your local grocery store or, for Crimson Tide football players, inside the refrigerators within the Alabama weight room and dining facility.

Stocked up inside of those refrigerators are two of Alabama's secret weapons.

One helps with building muscle. The other aids with muscle recovery while also promoting better sleep.

Fairlife milk and tart cherry juice.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/10/how_alabama_uses_2_beverages_t.html

and yes, @DopeyBadger there are links to the studies included.
I buy the Fairlife chocolate milk for recovery drink. :) It lasts longer than regular milk, and I only use it for that purpose, so it needs to last a while!

I finally have a little time to go back through some QOTDs and the thread.

Fun Friday QOTD: What is something you would like to experience at the parks that is not currently offered? The sky is the limit here folks, so dream big!

A stay in the castle suite was my first thought but a week shadowing whatever they call the I.T. Infrastructure manager/director would probably be my real answer. Whomever is the top I.T. guy in systems for WDW, not all of Disney or even all of P&R.

QOTD: Post race recovery, what do you do to recover? How soon before you get your next run in?

My one constant is continued motion. No matter how long or how hard I run I always walk a bit after. If it is a really hot day, really long run, or a really hard track session I either take a cold shower (no hot water at all) or ice bath. I also try to hydrate and grab some protein after a hard run. I should use my CEP compression socks more often but I literally forget I have them most of the time.

QOTD: Since it was mentioned, stays on topic, and I am struggling for ideas today... ICE BATHS for recovery! Have you done them before? Did you find it helped any?

Love them. I think cold immersion (or cold exposure in general) is a great tool for health. This page has some info I found enlightening on the subject.

QOTD: Has your watch time ever matched your chip time for a race?

I am almost always withing a few seconds. I err on the side of worst case scenario and start my watch at the first timing strip and stop it at the last.

I slather Aquaphor on my feet. Between the toes, along both sides, where the ball of your foot contacts the sock, everywhere. It helps tremendously. Shoes that drain well are also important which many trail shoes will do. I would avoid "waterproof" as they trap water that gets in. I always though of them more for the wet roads or snow and not trail running where water is more likely to come in over the lip.

Many trail races have larger aid stations that have more than just water tables. They have areas to sit and fuel up, espeically if the marathon is the short event for an ultra. People care towels and socks and dry their feet and change socks often at these stops. If you do I'd carry Aquaphor or Vaseline to reapply after each change.

8 water crossings! Good luck and can't wait to hear how it goes!
Good advice so far. For trail events, I usually carry an extra pair or two of socks, and try to start with socks which wick water away from my feet pretty quickly.

The intention of the course officials was never to have any water crossings, but the only semi-dry trail available has two natural low spots that flood during heavy rains. I run on these trails 3 times a week so have a pretty good idea where the wet spots will be and how deep they will be.

My current plan is to wear my SmartWools, have a dry pair of Inijinji in my pocket just in case, and as we say here in Chicago "embrace the suck". Then keep smiling and have a great first marathon.

Last edited:
Hi all! Not sure if this was posted before:

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a23454338/lululemon-strava-ghost-race/
Just in time for the trick-or-treating season, activewear brand Lululemon is partnering with the popular running app Strava to launch the Ghost Race, a series of virtual 8K races in 12 different cities across the map. Registration is open from October 1 to 15, then from October 12 to 21, you can race your local course as many times as you wish, competing to see who bests the leaderboard in each city.

While the Ghost Race course details and directions are mapped out on Strava, the various routes’ start and finish lines are also marked on the physical roads, like a pop-up competition. But unlike standard road races, there are no crack-of-dawn start times or overcrowded corrals; instead, you can complete the route as you please, making sure to save your race on Strava once finished.

For those who do want company, Lululemon ambassadors will be leading runs throughout the two-week window. There will also be occasional cheer squads out on the course to encourage runners’ Ghost attempts—and don’t worry, there won’t be any “boos” from the crowd.

And just because it’s a virtual race doesn’t mean you don’t get swag. Each course will provide water, snacks, and drinks, as well as Lululemon freebies to participants.

All finishers will also be invited to a post-race party in their respective cities on Saturday, October 20 called Ghost Race x Night Moves, with art, live music, and—let’s hope—some “Thriller” dance moves.

If you live near San Francisco,Atlanta, Central Park or the West Side in New York City, Pasadena or Santa Monica, California, Washington, Chicago, West Philadelphia or East Philadelphia, or Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, or Toronto, you can check out your local course on Strava now. Then, come midnight on October 1st, you can visit theghostrace.lululemon.com to get the details on events, prizes, and more happening in your area. It’s ghost time.

https://theghostrace.lululemon.com/

Rumors are that a 25% off code to lululemon comes with the completion badge.

Hi all! Not sure if this was posted before:

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a23454338/lululemon-strava-ghost-race/
Just in time for the trick-or-treating season, activewear brand Lululemon is partnering with the popular running app Strava to launch the Ghost Race, a series of virtual 8K races in 12 different cities across the map. Registration is open from October 1 to 15, then from October 12 to 21, you can race your local course as many times as you wish, competing to see who bests the leaderboard in each city.

While the Ghost Race course details and directions are mapped out on Strava, the various routes’ start and finish lines are also marked on the physical roads, like a pop-up competition. But unlike standard road races, there are no crack-of-dawn start times or overcrowded corrals; instead, you can complete the route as you please, making sure to save your race on Strava once finished.

For those who do want company, Lululemon ambassadors will be leading runs throughout the two-week window. There will also be occasional cheer squads out on the course to encourage runners’ Ghost attempts—and don’t worry, there won’t be any “boos” from the crowd.

And just because it’s a virtual race doesn’t mean you don’t get swag. Each course will provide water, snacks, and drinks, as well as Lululemon freebies to participants.

All finishers will also be invited to a post-race party in their respective cities on Saturday, October 20 called Ghost Race x Night Moves, with art, live music, and—let’s hope—some “Thriller” dance moves.

If you live near San Francisco,Atlanta, Central Park or the West Side in New York City, Pasadena or Santa Monica, California, Washington, Chicago, West Philadelphia or East Philadelphia, or Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, or Toronto, you can check out your local course on Strava now. Then, come midnight on October 1st, you can visit theghostrace.lululemon.com to get the details on events, prizes, and more happening in your area. It’s ghost time.

https://theghostrace.lululemon.com/

Rumors are that a 25% off code to lululemon comes with the completion badge.
Thanks! I just signed up for it. Mainly so I can get the coupon. I was just about to order some stuff but think I will wait a week. :)

The intention of the course officials was never to have any water crossings, but the only semi-dry trail available has two natural low spots that flood during heavy rains. I run on these trails 3 times a week so have a pretty good idea where the wet spots will be and how deep they will be.

My current plan is to wear my SmartWools, have a dry pair of Inijinji in my pocket just in case, and we say here in Chicago "embrace the suck". Then keep smiling and have a great first marathon.

Probably too close to race day for major changes, but my answer is Brooks Cascadia GTX (Gore-tex) shoes, SmartWool socks (with a backup pair in the pocket), and extremely liberal use of BodyGlide. Never had a problem with that combination. The Cascadia GTX is a great show, if it works for your feet/pronation/etc

ATTQOTD: I've never had a dedicated run watch before, so I've generally been tracking via Strava or Fitbit Blaze. I try to start it as I cross the starting line, but don't generally stop it right as I cross the finish line.

Strava being Strava, I've generally had issues with it deciding to add pauses, so my tracked times are typically slightly under my official chip time anyway.

Closest I have is the 2017 Light Side Half, two seconds off. Chip time 3:13:54, Strava time 3:13:52. (14.09 miles, because phone GPS. Makes my pace look a lot more impressive that way!)

Today has provided some of the most intense live streaming weather coverage I have ever seen. For a while I thought I witnessed what was two storm chasers last moments on Earth. As interesting as I find all of the storm stuff to be, the devastation left behind is sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to those that are impacted by this storm and those who it will impact over the next 48 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter