The Running Thread - 2018

so, yeah, this is a story about alabama football. but it's also about athlete nutrition and might be helpful for endurance athletes.

How Alabama uses 2 beverages to help fuel players

Not every resource at Alabama is a piece of expensive, high-tech equipment.

Some products are even available at your local grocery store or, for Crimson Tide football players, inside the refrigerators within the Alabama weight room and dining facility.

Stocked up inside of those refrigerators are two of Alabama's secret weapons.

One helps with building muscle. The other aids with muscle recovery while also promoting better sleep.

Fairlife milk and tart cherry juice.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/10/how_alabama_uses_2_beverages_t.html

and yes, @DopeyBadger there are links to the studies included.

Both appear to be solid additions. Might consider switching over from regular chocolate milk to Fairlife. I tend to do cherries in my oatmeal for the inflammatory properties, but probably not at the level as a juice concentrate would be.

QOTD: Has your watch time ever matched your chip time?

ATTQOTD: I highly doubt it but I've never actually checked. I can be a bit of a giraffe with my head in the clouds so I always start it a few seconds early to avoid forgetting. I try to stop it after I exit the finishers chute but usually don't remember. One time I left it running for over a half hour after the race. My average pace was pretty messed up for that one! 8-)

ATTQOTD: I am getting better at stopping my Nike App after a race but it is not my top priority to match exactly.
My worst timing was after my first half... I stopped it 47minutes after finishing, in the runDisney bus going back to the resort. My averages will forever be skewed because of Mickey photo ops!

ATTQOTD: I have no idea if my Garmin has ever matched up with my official time. It's not something I've ever thought to check. :)

ATTQOTD: I don’t use a watch, but do use the Nike run app. That and my official time have never matched up. I always start it a few seconds before crossing the starting line and don’t stop it until i’m out of the way when i’m finished.

I tried it: hated it and felt no different than I did just taking a regular shower. In the heat of FL summer, I often jump in my pool after a run to bring down my core temp - but my pool temp is around 90, so nothing like an ice bath! After cold long runs, I like a hot bath.

All the times you've tried the new insoles - have they been at the same time of day, or varying times? And were you wearing the same shoes (or lack of shoes) immediately beforehand, or different shoes at different times? I ask because, while I don't use insoles beyond the sockliners that come with them, my running shoes can feel markedly different depending on what I had on my feet before putting them on. Barefoot first thing in the morning, for instance, vs. after wearing Birkenstocks all day before an evening run. Obviously, my running shoes don't change from day to day or hour to hour, but how they feel does, depending on what my feet were used to in the hours before. Could it be something like that?

Returning late to this because of lots of work.... I don't recall now for sure what was happening with my feet immediately before. :) But I hadn't been doing anything differently than with previous versions of the insoles. I do weekday runs after work, so before that I'm wearing loafers. Weekend runs may be morning or afternoon, so that varies. It just never made a difference before, and that's what is puzzling me.

I never go barefoot...my feet are always cold unless I'm running.

QOTD: Has your watch time ever matched your chip time for a race?

ATTQOTD: I rarely get it exact but I have been withing a second or two before. I would say I am normally withing 5-10 seconds. Never had a watch time with a faster result than the chip, which is a good thing IMO.

I use RunKeeper and no it doesn't match. For my first race ever I tried to start it right when I crossed but then had issues getting it back into my arm band and I had to stop on the course for like 30 seconds to fix it. It got my so anxious. I swore I would never do it again. So now I start it and get it all situated when the gun goes off so by the time my corral starts I'm ready to go. And then at the end of the race I never remember to turn it off for at least a couple of minutes.

ATTQOTD:
Never. Not once. Not with runkeeper or with Garmin. I think the Garmin is closer but that is because it is less effort to push a button on the watch than hold the phone and hope it does not get jostled out of my hand and onto the pavement where it would be trampled. But it does not bother me that the time does not match, the distance does not match either. Also, I understand my devices lack both precision and accuracy so I am not going to go to great lengths to push a button exactly at the timing mat.

Garmin Question (specifically the VA3 if it matters): Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the button temporarily? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, and I guess that would make it difficult to re-enable it, but I figured I would see if any experts know. :) When I am working out, I often manage to pause my watch with my wrist and don't realize it for sometimes as much as 10 minutes later.

QOTD: Are you influenced by things that elite runners do? For example are you more inclined to purchase a product they have used or a training method they endorse?

ATTQOTD: My answer has to be yes and no. Do I go out of my way to purchase item "x" because athlete "y" used it and had great results, my answer would be no. But I also think if a particular item has a lot of positive results, over time that thing will become more mainstream. Other companies will make a similar item, and the older products would be replaced by it, thus leaving me with no choice but to purchase it.

QOTD: Are you influenced by things that elite runners do? For example are you more inclined to purchase a product they have used or a training method they endorse?
No, I only know of a few elite runners. I just go with what’s worked for me thus far. I will say I tend to prefer name brand type items over smaller brand items. I think that’s mostly a trust thing.

If elite runners purchase their running shoes on Joes New Balance, eat pizza, ice cream, drink beer, and use blowing leaves as a cool down post run then yes I'm influenced. Otherwise, no.

Garmin Question (specifically the VA3 if it matters): Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the button temporarily? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, and I guess that would make it difficult to re-enable it, but I figured I would see if any experts know. :) When I am working out, I often manage to pause my watch with my wrist and don't realize it for sometimes as much as 10 minutes later.
I don’t know about the VA3, but my Fenix 5s has a ‘Lock Keys’ option. To unlock, you just have to hold down any button for a few seconds.

ATTQOTD: I am usually interested to hear about what they are doing or using but it doesn’t influence my decisions to buy anything.

Yesterday’s QOTD: My watch never matches up with chip time. I think in the end, I would rather have a finish line photo of me looking up and hopefully smiling rather than one of me looking down stoping my watch.

ATTQOTD: Elite runners? No. Running bloggers/reviewers? Yes. I have found out about a lot of products through various running blogs or YouTube reviewers and purchased them. Off the top of my head, JayBird earbuds, Noxgear Tracer360, my beloved Altra shoes, Flipbelt, my Scosche HRM that I had to pair with my Garmin 220 before I upgraded to the VA3, Huma gels, ProCompression socks, probably Sparkle Skirts... there's probably more. I am basically a sucker for marketing but I have loved all these products! :)

I don’t know about the VA3, but my Fenix 5s has a ‘Lock Keys’ option. To unlock, you just have to hold down any button for a few seconds.
Hrm, the VA3 only has a lock screen option to lock the touchscreen, although now I'm reading someone complaining in the Garmin forums about how when this is on he has to hold the button for > 3 seconds to pause/resume/stop activities, so maybe that is what I'm looking for. I'd need to remember to disable it (or use the long presses) when running... my issue is mainly when doing other activities, I tilt (<-- apparently I got censored for using a 4 letter word for a rooster there :D) my wrist back far enough to press it. I thought it was just things like pushups where I was hitting it, but I managed to do it again today I think while I was on a rower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter