• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

So I love true crime podcasts. Listen to Serial, Up and Vanished (currently on season 2), Untold - the Daniel Morgan Story, Dead Man Talking, Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, and Bear Brook.

I am also really into History podcasts. I do not list to podcasts when running outside as I get too freaked out. Only when on the treadmill and for my morning commute.
Thanks for more suggestions! Just subscribed to them. :)

Saturday I pulled out warmer socks for my 34* run and regretted doing so after mile 1. I had these socks last winter, and the same model of shoes, but it just felt odd right away. At mile 7 I took the socks off to see if it was better to run without- nope. At 7.5 it was clear I was limping and listing to one side so I cut the run short for fear of running my hip into the ground. I am totally baffled by this change. I've put ~150 miles on these shoes with the light weight socks and saw no difference between these and the last pair (same model different color), and these are the same socks I ran in the previous pair of shoes. It was not wet, and I have never gotten a blister before, so what gives? Is it realistic to think my feet have changed?

Since I started running about 5 years ago, my feet have gotten bigger by at least a size. YMMV.

Hey guys, I'm poking my head out of my lurker status for some opinions.

I've always retired shoes when they start to cause light pain - usually around 400ish miles (with the exception of one pair which I retired about a week early because I wanted to take them to WDW as park shoes), but I can pretty much tell from the last run when my shoes are ready for retirement.
I have a pair of shoes that I use for shorter runs (it's a model that I love for short distance and tempo, but doesn't have enough support for me for longer runs) that have about 325 miles on them. They still feel comfortable. But when I look at the bottom of the shoe, the heels look worn out. I know this is from my walk intervals (I'm a midfoot striker when I run but a very severe heel striker when I walk ... which I know because my dress shoes need new heels every few months), but since I do a lot of walk/run, the wear and tear is definitely visible, even though they don't feel worn out.
Should I retire them early even though I think the cushioning is still in decent shape? Or should I hold on and wait until I know they're not good for running anymore?
I do have their replacement already, but I was hoping to only use the replacement for tempo runs for a little bit.

Any thoughts??
I personally would retire them. For me they would become lawn mowing shoes! Over 300 miles is good use and the lack of tread could/will cause
more impact on joints.

Following up with this - have you tried shifting the insole left to right in the arch area before putting them on? I did with one of my casual shoe pairs and it seems to fix the issue for a bit. Not a good long term solution though.

Yeah, I tried that with some of my in-and-out attempts. Not sure if it did much. The good news is that since that time the insoles have been behaving properly. So no idea why they were good and then bad and then good again, but hopefully they will be all good from here.

ATTQOTD

All of the disunplugged podcasts
Connecting with Walt
Disney Dish
Mousetalgia (DLR focus)

That is about my listening limit each week!

Since I started running about 5 years ago, my feet have gotten bigger by at least a size. YMMV.

NOOOOO! I already had to replace all my shoes when I had kids! I'm going to need to find a new job and home where I can just go barefoot all the time.

Podcasts or nothing seem to win out - would y'all share some of your favorite podcasts?

I don't do podcasts while running, just while driving.

That said, I tend toward 'cool facts about stuff' and 'weird creepy fiction' as my main podcast genres.

Cool Facts About Stuff:
Twenty Thousand Hertz (iconic and important sounds - has a fantastic episode on Disney Theme Park sound design)
99 Percent Invisible (design and architecture and their effects on our lives)
The Allusionist (adventures in language and linguistics)

Weird Creepy Fiction:
Within The Wires (found audio from a dystopian alternate universe)
Welcome To Night Vale (public radio from the Twilight Zone)

Podcasts in my Overcast list:

2 Dope Queens
Ali on the Run Show
Bad Dog Agility Podcast
Cog-Dog Radio
Crimetown
How I Built This
Invisibilia
My Favorite Murder
Radiolab
Revisionist History
Serial
Stuff You Should Know
S-Town

I suppose I should have "I'll Have Another" to that list... I am going to a live show of it in a few weeks and I've never listened to it. :D My running group buddies peer pressured me into a ladies night because there's a swag bag. It better be a pretty good swag bag for $38.

Kudos to everyone for your podcast listening tastes.
I need a cheat sheet to revisit these!

@Miranda....My Favorite Murder is a good one too. I listened to the first 4 episodes but need to do more.
What is Bad Dog Agility Radio?

@FFigawi ....What is Your Favorite Band Sucks about?
Where's the beer podcast?

Haha, I listen to a local Arizona podcast called Tap That AZ where these dudes go around to breweries, meaderies, wineries, and sometimes coffee shops and interview the owners. I also listen to the Guild of Sommeliers and I'll Drink to That (both wine education themed) but they don't update that often.

@jennamfeo ......thanks. There's a good chance I will be in PHX in February and need to do some "research."
That's perfect then! I can definitely give you some suggestions as well: AZ Wilderness (great beer, amazing food), OHSO, Wren House, Mother Bunch, Angels Trumpet Ale House..... Just a few of my faves!

ATTQOTD:

Music - Yes! I ran one race without and it wasn't pretty. I do keep the volume down and only wear one ear piece. I train listening to either music or audiobooks. I do have a specific playlist but I listen to it on shuffle. It actually drives me crazy if I know what song is next by listening to them in the same order every time. I like to be surprised.

Side note: After multiple conversations (and some slight pleading) I have talked DH into planning on a trip for marathon weekend in either 2023 or 2024 so I can run some kind of combination of at least 2 races or even maybe Dopey. I know that's so far out but that's the soonest I can get him on board. He has our trips planned through February 2022 and he won't deviate. Starting 2019, we are only going once a year (Ha! Yeah right. I bet that doesn't stick). All I can say is....there's hope!

Kudos to everyone for your podcast listening tastes.
I need a cheat sheet to revisit these!

@Miranda....My Favorite Murder is a good one too. I listened to the first 4 episodes but need to do more.
What is Bad Dog Agility Radio?

@FFigawi ....What is Your Favorite Band Sucks about?
Woops, I just typed them all out without really thinking about it... I should have taken that (dog agility) and Cog-Dog Radio (dog training/agility) out. :D

YFBS is a couple of people talking about how that band you think is excellent really has no musical talent at all. Very humorous takes on U2, Zepplin, and dozens of other bands.
Is it David Thorpe? Back in the day when I read SomethingAwful they had one series called “Your Band Sucks,” and that’s what he did. He also got Pitbull sent to Kodiak Island’s Walmart, which was funny. Pitbull made him go to.

Edit-it is not. Still looks fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter