The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Summer in western Washington was much more temperate than the rest of the country. Add in that I do my runs at 4am, and a "hot" day would be in the low 60s. The last week it's been in the 40s, so jackets have made a return.

On the other hand, you can't really call it fall weather around here until it starts raining again, so I guess I have another week.

I actually have a 13 mile LR scheduled the weekend of the HM so I mean, why not? As long as I don't try to race it I will be fine.
I totally understand what you are doing in your case, but this opens up a question for me...The Higdon Plan I am roughly following has a "RUN A HALF MARATHON" listed at about the half way point of the training plan. There is one on that exact day about an hour or so away so I was considering running it. For the plan, I assumed I was suppose to "run" it as a race and not just use it as a training run. But now I am not sure. Can someone more familiar with the plan clarify? @DopeyBadger ?

Help me decide... Should I do....
The Hot Chocolate 15k in Scottsdale, AZ
OR
The Scottsdale Half Marathon in Scottsdale, AZ

Both are in Decemeber about a month before Dopey. I wouldn't race them at all, just run them as part of training. I was leaning towards the Half because it goes better with my life and running schedule BUT the swag at the Hot Chocolate 15k is super appealing. I could probably run both but that means back to back weekends in the Phoenix area... I kind of wish I didn't see this 15k.

Swag, always go for the better swag.

I totally understand what you are doing in your case, but this opens up a question for me...The Higdon Plan I am roughly following has a "RUN A HALF MARATHON" listed at about the half way point of the training plan. There is one on that exact day about an hour or so away so I was considering running it. For the plan, I assumed I was suppose to "run" it as a race and not just use it as a training run. But now I am not sure. Can someone more familiar with the plan clarify? @DopeyBadger ?

"Races: In most of my training programs, I do not prescribe races. I don’t want runners feeling that they are obligated to race on a specific weekend, and at specific distances, because that’s what the schedule says. But a certain amount of racing is good, because it forces you to run at peak speed and provides feedback related to your fitness level. If you know your 10-K time, for instance, you can use one popular formula and multiply that time in minutes by 4.66 and get an estimate of your marathon potential. If you run other distances, you can use various prediction calculators to do the same. My favorite calculator is that offered on McMillanRunning.com. I suggest doing a half marathon in Week 9 to help you assess your fitness, but there is no magic to that distance or that week for racing. As an advanced runner, you should know how to make at least minor modifications to suit your schedule."

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/advanced-1-marathon/#training-schedule

When Hal Higdon schedules a "Half Marathon" on the schedule, he intends for you to race it. I'd say if you want to race it you can, but don't feel obligated as the instructions say. In this particular plan (no idea if it's the one you are using), you can see he does very little taper or recovery from the race in Week 9. In fact, it falls in a "down" week in the plan with respect to the weekend long run. So depending on your fitness gains, you may or may not be able to see a PR level effort on that day. But then it may also serve as a good "end of race" marathon training run at a solid HM PR type effort.

There are certainly pros and cons that can be weighed in choosing to race a "B" race during an "A" training cycle. When I write training plans for others, I try to balance when those races occur in relation to the rest of the training plan. Far enough from race day not to impose additional fatigue (minimum is 8 weeks for me), doesn't come on a week where we were already planning a very important recovery week (typically follow a 3+1 schedule), how much of the "A" goal is a stretch goal vs current fitness (dictates whether we need to maximize training or adding in some recovery from a hard "B" race can be overcome), etc. Those aspects help me decide whether to give a green light on a certain race or not. The tricky part is knowing the runner and whether they can do a race as a "training run". Some get caught up in the day, some have a Type A personality, etc. that dictates that I shy away from agreeing to a "Training run race" on the calendar. But at the end of the day, I can always adjust the schedule when things happen.

QOTD: Yall!!! It's finally fall here is South Louisiana! Its a little rainy today, but cool and temps in the 10 day range are only getting better! So far todays question, has fall weather reached your part of the world and for how long now?

Here in Maryland just outside of DC, a switch flipped midway through last week and we got fall. My runs over the last week have been T+D in the 80s F, and just about 1 week ago it was still 120+. We had almost frost on our cars earlier this week in the morning.

You already received a lot of good advice from DopeyBadger. For me, if a half marathon comes in the midst of a marathon training plan, I always plan to run it at my goal marathon pace. That serves the purpose of giving me some good practice at pace while my legs are tired from a normal training week, but also allows me to go back to my training plan a few days later. So it isn't fully racing it at HM pace, but it also isn't done at long run training pace. I did make the mistake a number of years ago of truly racing a half in the middle of a marathon plan, and ended up losing a good week and a half of training as I recovered.

OR

Both are in Decemeber about a month before Dopey. I wouldn't race them at all, just run them as part of training. I was leaning towards the Half because it goes better with my life and running schedule BUT the swag at the Hot Chocolate 15k is super appealing. I could probably run both but that means back to back weekends in the Phoenix area... I kind of wish I didn't see this 15k.

Our runner packets for the Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k arrived yesterday and the jacket is really nice. No idea what your medal will be, but ours has a hot dog on the chocolate bar wrapper. DH opted against his first runners expo and had everything mailed to us; I get it as $ for mailing vs 2+ hours driving plus $$ for parking at the expo makes sense but would have liked him to experience it.

OR

i've done the scottsdale half a couple of times. it's a nice course, not too hilly, and a good bit of it is off the roads in park areas which are a lot less stressful.

To clarify I consider fall temps anything below between 45 to 67 with highs not getting over 90. Winter is below 45 and highs not exceeding 80, and yes we can start a day at 45 and by 1PM hit 80 easily. Fun weather as I am sure a lot of you can relate to.

"Races: In most of my training programs, I do not prescribe races. I don’t want runners feeling that they are obligated to race on a specific weekend, and at specific distances, because that’s what the schedule says. But a certain amount of racing is good, because it forces you to run at peak speed and provides feedback related to your fitness level. If you know your 10-K time, for instance, you can use one popular formula and multiply that time in minutes by 4.66 and get an estimate of your marathon potential. If you run other distances, you can use various prediction calculators to do the same. My favorite calculator is that offered on McMillanRunning.com. I suggest doing a half marathon in Week 9 to help you assess your fitness, but there is no magic to that distance or that week for racing. As an advanced runner, you should know how to make at least minor modifications to suit your schedule."

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/advanced-1-marathon/#training-schedule

When Hal Higdon schedules a "Half Marathon" on the schedule, he intends for you to race it. I'd say if you want to race it you can, but don't feel obligated as the instructions say. In this particular plan (no idea if it's the one you are using), you can see he does very little taper or recovery from the race in Week 9. In fact, it falls in a "down" week in the plan with respect to the weekend long run. So depending on your fitness gains, you may or may not be able to see a PR level effort on that day. But then it may also serve as a good "end of race" marathon training run at a solid HM PR type effort.

There are certainly pros and cons that can be weighed in choosing to race a "B" race during an "A" training cycle. When I write training plans for others, I try to balance when those races occur in relation to the rest of the training plan. Far enough from race day not to impose additional fatigue (minimum is 8 weeks for me), doesn't come on a week where we were already planning a very important recovery week (typically follow a 3+1 schedule), how much of the "A" goal is a stretch goal vs current fitness (dictates whether we need to maximize training or adding in some recovery from a hard "B" race can be overcome), etc. Those aspects help me decide whether to give a green light on a certain race or not. The tricky part is knowing the runner and whether they can do a race as a "training run". Some get caught up in the day, some have a Type A personality, etc. that dictates that I shy away from agreeing to a "Training run race" on the calendar. But at the end of the day, I can always adjust the schedule when things happen.
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I am following this is the plan as it is my first marathon:

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-2-marathon/

Doing the race was always going to be a game time decision for me based on how I felt that week and based on the weather as a potentially cold and windy morning race on the CT shoreline in the middle of November is a formula for huskies90 to stay in bed that day. But with all the running I have done since my last half in April, I curious to see if I have improved my conditioning at all. We'll see...

OR

After reading @PaDisneyCouple description of Hershey, I am definitely doing a Chocolate Run if I ever have a chance! So my vote goes to the swag.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I am following this is the plan as it is my first marathon:

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-2-marathon/

Doing the race was always going to be a game time decision for me based on how I felt that week and based on the weather as a potentially cold and windy morning race on the CT shoreline in the middle of November is a formula for huskies90 to stay in bed that day. But with all the running I have done since my last half in April, I curious to see if I have improved my conditioning at all. We'll see...

Sounds like a plan. With the massive amount of aerobic training that marathon training encompasses, you may very well see a big jump in PR performance. So if the conditions are good, it might be fun to see what happens.

ATTQOTD: Fall has been here since Saturday. I am cold natured, so it is taking me time to adjust. My husband loves to leave our windows open to get the breeze off the lake, but Monday morning I woke up to it being 61 degrees in my house and I looked like that kid from A Christmas Story. Everyone referring to the 40s as fall has me giggling, that is completely winter to me!

It cooled down to the 70s and has been the rainiest October ever. But... it’s gonna be 90 this weekend. I akways say it doesn’t really turn till Halloween but I was thinking it was going to stay cool this year. But nope!

QOTD: Does your job require you to stay on your feet all day, sit behind a desk, work indoors, or outside? How does your job effect your training and recovery?

ATTQOTD: I sit behind a desk all day and consider it to be a form of recovery. Every now and then I may have to go on a job walk, but those only last a 2-4 hours and half of that time is sitting in a room going on the scope of work. I would say my job has very little negative effect on my running plans for each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter