• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I have been working at home for the last 18 years, so my job has no negative effect on my running/workout plans for the day. If anything it has a positive one... my boss is very pro-exercise and my schedule is very flexible, as I am a software developer and not required to be in a lot of meetings or anything. Basically I can do what I want, when I want, as long as stuff gets done. As a software developer, that does mean sitting at a desk all day, though, so I try and remember to get up and move around occasionally because this many years of sitting at a desk has given me terrible glutes and hip flexors and sitting posture (which contributes to my low back/sciatic issues). :o

ATTQOTD: I sit behind computers about 60% of the week. I work a flexible schedule, so I'm off every other Friday, telework all other Fridays and all Wedensdays (except for today....grrr). When I work from home, I move around a lot, and tend to just set up at the kitchen island and stand at my computer. While in the office, I try to take advantage of any chance I can get to move around. I also do my short, midweek runs during lunch. I work for the Navy, so I love running by the carriers and along the water.

There have been a few times where someone has called right as I'm heading out to run and needed something right away, so I've had to adjust to later in the day or a different day. I try to take off the day after a half if I can, so I don't have to worry about sitting all day. I also need to bring in a lacrosse ball and tiger tail to leave at my desk.

QOTD: Does your job require you to stay on your feet all day, sit behind a desk, work indoors, or outside? How does your job effect your training and recovery?
ATTQOTD: I'm indoors, on a computer, behind a desk all day, every day, M-F. Asking my employer to buy me a Varidesk may have saved my running "career"! I alternate sitting and standing every 30 minutes and it's made a world of positive difference for my hips and back. I use restrooms that are at the opposite end of our building, and upstairs, so I can move a few times a day, but that's really the extent of any "exercise" I get on the job.

QOTD: Does your job require you to stay on your feet all day, sit behind a desk, work indoors, or outside? How does your job effect your training and recovery?

At a desk on my computer. The biggest impact the job has had on my running this past year has had little to do with sitting at a desk and everything to do with ever-increasing responsibilities coupled with increased stress levels and nowhere near enough time to get things done, especially "me" time like running.

I used to get out at lunch for a run or a swim 4 or 5 days during the work week...these days I am averaging one lunch run per week :sad2:

ATTQOTD: My job has me sit behind a desk almost all day. I find it to be detrimental to my running, as I run in the evening after work and find I my muscles are stiff from sitting all day. To combat that to some extent, I try to get out and move around at lunch. We're lucky to have a fitness center and disc golf course (5 holes) on site here at work, so I generally get out and play 3 rounds with friends at lunch. That gets me around a mile and a half of motion.

ATTQOTD: I sit at a desk inside unless I am scurrying from meetings. My company has 5 different buildings in our town, some of which are on opposite sides of the town so I am having to drive to those. We do get to work from home two days per month which is glorious. Our building is massive, so I will do laps around the building for exercise. We also have a gym in our building, so I go to the YMCA group classes (Body Pump and Pilates) four days a week, as long as meetings don't interfere. We also have a running group at work that will run on lunch breaks sometimes, but I cannot do my speed workouts on lunch.

That was a very rambling answer, LOL.

QOTD: Yall!!! It's finally fall here is South Louisiana! Its a little rainy today, but cool and temps in the 10 day range are only getting better! So far todays question, has fall weather reached your part of the world and for how long now?

The weather is fall (high 30's to low 60's) which is perfect running weather but the trees haven't really gotten the memo yet. Still very green for this late in October.

I totally understand what you are doing in your case, but this opens up a question for me...The Higdon Plan I am roughly following has a "RUN A HALF MARATHON" listed at about the half way point of the training plan. There is one on that exact day about an hour or so away so I was considering running it. For the plan, I assumed I was suppose to "run" it as a race and not just use it as a training run. But now I am not sure. Can someone more familiar with the plan clarify? @DopeyBadger ?

I have used Higdon plans for all of my marathons so far and I raced the prescribed half marathon but not at half marathon pace, at goal marathon pace. I don't think this is necessary depending on how you feel, whether or not you feel you have enough in the tank for that effort during training, and if the temperature for the half will line up with your full later in the plan. For example, one year I ran the prescribed half marathon in mid 80 degree weather and the marathon in the 40's. That is a pretty big swing to try and gauge marathon readiness against the marathon pace in a half IMO.

Generally I'm at a desk or in a meeting most of my day but I am also very flexible. I have a job to do and if I can leave for a 2 hour lunch run and shower or a swim I will. There are projects that have me on my feet for the day but that isn't the norm.

My part time job yes. During school I am sitting during class and walking in between them. I don't really feel it has an effect on my training or recovery.

I have a mostly sedentary profession so the the physicality, or lack thereof, does not interfere with training. However, the stress levels and sheer volume do. My work weeks are usually between 65-70 hours. No time for lunch so training is either early morning or early evening with longer workouts on the weekends.

Today I had a 5:45 a.m. spin followed by a quick lift. At the office by 7:30. I have a meeting starting at 5:00 p.m. that will likely go until 9-9:30. Would be ideal if I could get a run in from 3:30-4:30 but that is unlikely. I need to be up at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow for my 5:30 swim.

ATTQOTD: I would say I sit 70% of my time in my office. I do walk around campus for the other 30% for interview days, campus tours, events, meetings etc. I have incorporated Glute exercises into my training to help with posture as well as keep those muscles strong. Probably the biggest way my job helps is flexibility. I work 8:30-4:30 (1 hour commute each way) but never any overtime. We can work from home occasionally as well as we get all holidays off, week of christmas, snow days etc so I really have no reason not to get out there.

I teach first grade so I’m up all day long! I’m often exhausted at the end of the day so I try to run before school. But because I cant be late, that means I’m starting to run in the dark which I don’t love. So I’ll probably switch to afternoon runs here soon. We are starting a running group with a group of teachers here soon, so that’ll be fun.

ATTQOTD: Friday’s I volunteer at the local zoo so am on my feet for 5 hours, and often outside for 2 or more of those hours. For some reason Saturday workouts during the summer are harder than Saturday workouts during the winter, so the weather plays as much of an issue as foot fatigue.

ATTQOTD: on my feet when it’s busy, generally only 10 hours, but up to 16 hours during especially busy times, like X-mas break and Sundance Film Festival. I’ve only trained for one race during the winter busy season, and I will switch weeks around and move runs around to accommodate my work schedule.

Currently 8 hour days, about half on my feet and half on my ***. It’s the shoulder season, so not a ton going on that would negatively impact my running.

ATTQOTD: I'm in an office. Usually going from meeting to meeting but besides that, mostly sitting. I try to run at lunchtime so I am breaking up my day. I occasionally block my calendar for the hour (not always noon) so I can get out to run during the day. This becomes more important in winter when it is extremely cold in the morning and dark when I get home.

ATTQOTD: I sit at the computer all day, other than frequent trips to the bathroom and the occasional meeting. Sometimes I stand when I'm antsy, but my computer is still on my "desk", so it's actually pretty bad for me.
I dont think my job has a specific effect on my training, it's more just general effects of being sedentary. Oh, and the stress.

Also ... for those of you who run during lunch ... do you have showers at work? Or do you just do a quick cleanup in the bathroom?
I'm very curious about how this works.

ATTQOTD: I am a SAHM (formerly a kindergarten teacher) with a small photography business. No two days are alike in my world, but I do have A LOT of flexibility during the week while the kids are in school. I also have almost no flexibility once the dismissal bell rings or on the weekends, however. I have to make sure I get my runs in during the school day, including shifting my long runs to Fridays. Most of my sitting time is in the afternoon during the kids' swim practice. I can sometimes use that to squeeze in a run if the day has been hectic or I might use it to get in a 1-2 hour walk.

ATTQOTD: I work in the IT help desk for the city so I have been found walking over to the Police Department for issues or going around to the Fire Departments. Mostly I service City Hall and can fix 90% of the issues remotely from my desk. So you can usually find me at my desk. About 8 months ago they gave me a standing desk and I feel like that definitely helps me move around more. I try to take short walks around my office building too. Some days are more active than other. We have a little gym in my building that I use a few times a week where I do strength training and sometimes a 10 minute walk on the standing desk treadmill they have in there. Sometimes I will go down to my actual gym and run on the treadmill because they have a shower, but I realized I can only squeeze in 2-3 miles during my lunch break if I do that. Which brings me to.....

do you have showers at work? Or do you just do a quick cleanup in the bathroom?
I have some 5 milers on this training plan that I just don't think I am going to be able to do in the morning before work like I usually do so I am going to be doing them during lunch. They will take up pretty much my whole hour so I don't plan on showering, just a quick clean up. But, my office knows I am marathon training so hopefully they will be understanding. The problem is my hair always gets SOAKED when I run so I am going to look like a hot mess. Oh well.

I work for the Navy, so I love running by the carriers and along the water.
Living the dreeeeeeam! I am looking at Civilian Navy jobs right now and regretting getting out of the Navy 6 years ago. Siiiiigh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter