• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

To bring it back to pizza...anyone try a pickle pizza?? They seem to be all the rage here lately. All of the local restaurants are trying to stake their claim on the best pickle pizza. I haven't had one yet, but they actually look really tasty and would probably make an excellent post race meal (with beer of course)!
Yes! I’m not a fan of ranch so that version I tried was not my favorite. The version available without ranch was basically breadsticks with pickles, and I’m happy to do that any time.

Caught red-pawed! Our last untouched pumpkin has become compromised.
View attachment 360983
This has been fascinating to me! Our Florida squirrels are so very different than the squirrels I knew Up North. Our immediate neighborhood squirrel population has absolutely zero interest in anything other than the peanuts a neighbor feeds them every day, lackadaisically digging for acorns under the oak trees, and long afternoon naps sprawled out on the horizontal branches of said oaks. They basically live a life of retired leisure from birth to death. And then there's the outdoor pumpkins... we can't put ours outside until Halloween night because they immediately rot and turn to green mush within 24 hours!

~~~

I'm of Sicilian heritage and will not even touch the travesty of pizza info I just waded through. :sad2:

QOTD: Does your job require you to stay on your feet all day, sit behind a desk, work indoors, or outside? How does your job effect your training and recovery?
Sit at a desk all day after a 2 hour commute (each way). I am ok making this sacrifice because my office is at the corner of Central Park in NYC and 2 days a week I meet a friend for 4-5 miles before work. Thankfully we have a gym in the office with showers I can use at some point in the morning. Not sure how much I'd run if this option wasn't available to me.

QOTD: Taking the easy way out for todays question. What is everyones running plans this weekend?
5-6 miles on Sunday after the nor'easter passes through these parts

You should still run it at an easy pace! I'm doing W&D too, but just taking both races at easy pace. They're just tune-up runs for me.

I am doing W&D too! @croach you should just take it easy.

@BikeFan cool! I'll let you know. I know I'll definitely be in the "beer" area for a little while post race and there has been talk of walking somewhere after that for better beers before going back to change for dinner, etc. If I don't see you, good luck and have a great race!

Unpopular opinion: I hate the marathon investigations site. I get reporting race cheating to the race directors. What I dont get is why this guy created a website just to publically shame people. I'm not a fan. It just makes him look like someone who likes shaming people (which he might be for all I know)

Yeah, I know, nobody agrees with me. I feel like we go through this every few months when the site pops up on my radar. It's one of those things I cant not complain about, even though I shouldn't care. Sorry.

Unpopular opinion: I hate the marathon investigations site. I get reporting race cheating to the race directors. What I dont get is why this guy created a website just to publically shame people. I'm not a fan. It just makes him look like someone who likes shaming people (which he might be for all I know)

Yeah, I know, nobody agrees with me. I feel like we go through this every few months when the site pops up on my radar. It's one of those things I cant not complain about, even though I shouldn't care. Sorry.

I love people who cheat and get caught being called out for it publicly so the world knows and a Google search of their name finds it for years to come. Absolutely love it.

I don't consider it shaming...actually I don't think "shaming" is even a thing. Shame is something you feel inwardly, you can't direct it at another party. If you make fun of someone or bring an action they did to light and that causes them to feel shame you didn't "shame" them, you made fun of them or called them out and they reacted themselves with shame.

The only shame involved in this is the shame someone should feel after they cheat and are exposed but they feel that inwardly, not from others.

I love this site and derek murphy's work! What about the people that get edged out of Boston because of these cheaters? Or out of AG awards. Its not shaming if its true and they did it on purpose. They brought it on themselves.

Exactly. I love Derek and the work he does.

Well how about a Cubano pizza?....ham,roasted pork, pickles, swiss-this comes hot, so it would overcome the whole "cold pickles/hot pizza" dichotomy.

That sounds delicious!

My favorite pizza has thin-sliced potatoes on it.

Well how about a Cubano pizza?....ham,roasted pork, pickles, swiss-this comes hot, so it would overcome the whole "cold pickles/hot pizza" dichotomy.

I'm conflicted now:

On one hand, I love Cuban sandwiches. I grew up in the Tampa Bay area where they originated.

On the other hand, I'm against foods mimicking other foods. I don't want a pizza taco or a taco pizza, and a Cubano pizza falls into this category.

Maybe we could call it a big round open face Cuban sandwich, then I'm good!

Just checked into The Fort and all this squirrel/pumpkin talk has me nervous! I’d love to put my pumpkins out here, but I’d also like them to last until Halloween. Squirrels are notoriously determined here. I’ve had them chew through plastic Tupperware on the table outside my trailer in order to get to the food inside :eek:
Checking in the CM even warned us that they were bolder than normal! How is that even possible:confused3

I love this site and derek murphy's work! What about the people that get edged out of Boston because of these cheaters? Or out of AG awards. Its not shaming if its true and they did it on purpose. They brought it on themselves.

^^this

I love reading the stories of people who clearly were cheating and yet continue to deny it, make excuses, or otherwise try to cover it up. The New Yorker who tried to hide her cheating by biking the course later was classic!

We have a Cuban pizza, too. They put bbq sauce on it, which I cannot support. It is ok without. The pickles are a short leap from green olives on pizza.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-26_17-30-8.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-26_17-30-8.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 11
Expo day!

Well, it wasn’t really an expo even though they called it that. Bob collection was quick, nothing exciting. It was held in The Cloud, a temporary structure built for the Rugby World Cup. We hosted it in 2011...

79097DAF-7FEB-4942-B485-BE92C40C1A74.jpeg

They had a pretty cool poster that had all the names of the runners
A931F59F-B5A5-4C93-9171-73B73C15C38F.jpeg

Here’s me
96E4EAC7-9D0C-4173-B380-DFD2D6BC9BC3.jpeg

I also got so check out the start across the harbour from downtown Auckland. I’ll be. Catching a ferry around 5:15am tomorrow. It’s not the best photo but you can see our main naval base for the country. We don’t really war in NZ, mainly just rescue dumb fishermen and hep south pacific islands after storms.
011FD432-E564-4611-9C9D-E7ADFF7F5602.jpeg

The race takes us over our harbour bridge which is normally for vehicles only
C51B3D38-F44A-4F8D-A9DE-594E2D18CDF5.jpeg

The half finishes not long after the bridge but the full does an out and back along the shoreline. It’s nice and flat and quite scenic but can be windy.

On the weather front it’s touch and go for rain, hopefully it holds off. I bought a disposable poncho in case and will ensure sensitive bits are well greased!

Still feeling good, carbing up today and will hopefully have a good night sleep. I’ll do a quick update post race tomorrow!

^^this

I love reading the stories of people who clearly were cheating and yet continue to deny it, make excuses, or otherwise try to cover it up. The New Yorker who tried to hide her cheating by biking the course later was classic!

And her watch was in her finisher picture, showing 11.XX miles for a half (13.1)! The audacity of her cheating was just amazing! And that's exactly the sort of case which shows the merits of the marathon investigations site. She got 1st or 2nd overall female in that race, taking an award from a deserving woman who actually ran the whole race. That's just wrong. She deserved all the shaming she got for that incident. I'm totally in favor of that site. If a runner doesn't want to be publicly shamed, don't cheat. It's that simple. And I think it serves a useful function in the sport because with races of up to 30K+ runners, it's just too easy to cheat if someone wants to do that, and people do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter