The Running Thread - 2018

Question (not be confused with the official QOTD): Does anyone keep a physical running journal? I am very interested in a bullet-style running journal and would like to hear your experience. What do you include in your journal? How long have you kept it?
I'm another one who uses a spreadsheet. Similar to Excel yes, but mostly it's portable and allows me to record the date, miles ran, etc. While I don't do anything beyond that, it's easy enough to add other stuff if you want to.

Ankle Surgery was the best thing I ever did.

I forgot how it was to live with two good ankles. Granted, my ankle may ache when its really cold or when the weather changes rapidly but that is better than losing balance or it falling out every few months.

I don't know what ankle surgery you're having, but I had ankle surgery a couple of years ago. PM me if you want some non-medically-approved advice. Including how to drive. :) Response may be delayed as I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD! (half-way there)

Thanks. I don’t know all the details on the surgery yet, as I’ve yet to meet the surgeon. He’s in very high demand, so I’m working with my primary care doctor, who works with him at the Vikings, to get all my scans done and in place so I can cut the line with the surgeon. I’ll send you a PM with some questions and the details I do know.

Ankle Surgery was the best thing I ever did.

I forgot how it was to live with two good ankles. Granted, my ankle may ache when its really cold or when the weather changes rapidly but that is better than losing balance or it falling out every few months.

Yeah, I’m nervous and as excited as one can be for surgery at the same time. The only other surgery I had went horribly wrong, but I know this time I’m going to have the best of the best performing the surgery. The surgeon I’m going with is one of the best foot/ankle doctors in the world. But I’m definitely excited not to feel like my ankle is going to give out every other step. Hopefully it goes well.

Yeah, I’m nervous and as excited as one can be for surgery at the same time. The only other surgery I had went horribly wrong, but I know this time I’m going to have the best of the best performing the surgery. The surgeon I’m going with is one of the best foot/ankle doctors in the world. But I’m definitely excited not to feel like my ankle is going to give out every other step. Hopefully it goes well.

I get that. Once I had my MRI done - it was a shock I was able to walk much at all or even run like I did (granted running with a really nice ortho brace) with the amount wrong with it. Hope it all works well for you!

Well DD seems to be doing much better. Dad on the other hand has what DD is now getting over. It's never ending! I have never been sick so many times in my life during the fall/winter.
Nooooo. Feel better!! (Glad DD is better though!)

I signed up for a winter warrior challenge with the goal of 1 mile outside every day I. January. Yesterday we got 18 inches, so my mile came in the form of shoveling (see Garmin photo for proof!)

I admit I only signed up knowing we would be at WDW 6 days this month, and I would get a little reprieve from the cold!

b71ber.png

Well running in the new year hasn’t gone that well. The cold and snow has not helped any. Next week looks way better so going to get back at it. On the plus side in the last 14 days I’ve only worked 1 due to snow and holiday break so can’t really complain.

Alright 2018 resolution/goal....follow this thread more. Thanks @LSUlakes for keeping up with it, so great to see it still going as I believe you started it after the 2016 Marathon Weekend.

Late 2016 and 2017 were disappointing for me from a running perspective, but I changed/tweaked some things and over the past month I've seen some improvements. Currently I'm not registered for anything, but I'm hoping to do a race in early March and hopefully something in December.

Good luck to those running the rest of Marathon Weekend!

I have a question for you guys who run longer distances. Bit of running history first. I'm a Galloway run/walker. I've completed a 5k training program and 2 10k programs with my longest run at 9 miles. I just started half marathon training and I picked beginner since I've never done this distance. Maintenance runs for the beginner are 30 minutes. My usual maintenance runs have been 3 to 4 miles at varying paces.

So my question: Should I stick with the plan or continue with what I've been doing? I don't want to not recover from the longer runs I'll be doing later in the training!

Thank you for any advice.

I have a question for you guys who run longer distances. Bit of running history first. I'm a Galloway run/walker. I've completed a 5k training program and 2 10k programs with my longest run at 9 miles. I just started half marathon training and I picked beginner since I've never done this distance. Maintenance runs for the beginner are 30 minutes. My usual maintenance runs have been 3 to 4 miles at varying paces.

So my question: Should I stick with the plan or continue with what I've been doing? I don't want to not recover from the longer runs I'll be doing later in the training!

I followed a Galloway plan last year and usually did maintenance runs of 30-45 min, which for me was 3-4 miles, and that worked well.

In a manner of speaking 9 miles isn't that far off from a half. I found a 4 week half marathon training plan that called for a 9 mile long run the week before the half.

Personally, I've learned to love the 30-45 minutes instead of 30 minutes that the intermediate or multi race challenge Galloway plans call for. There are certainly days when I don't want to go an extra 15 minutes after using run-walk for 30 minutes, but I tell myself it's mile 12 on race day and that usually helps me push through to the end. My current maintenance runs are a little bit over 4 miles using the 45 minute maintenance runs that the Galloway plan recommends.

The thing you do not want to do is overtrain or increase mileage by too much from week to week. That leads to increased risk of injury.

I followed a Galloway plan last year and usually did maintenance runs of 30-45 min, which for me was 3-4 miles, and that worked well.

In a manner of speaking 9 miles isn't that far off from a half. I found a 4 week half marathon training plan that called for a 9 mile long run the week before the half.

Personally, I've learned to love the 30-45 minutes instead of 30 minutes that the intermediate or multi race challenge Galloway plans call for. There are certainly days when I don't want to go an extra 15 minutes after using run-walk for 30 minutes, but I tell myself it's mile 12 on race day and that usually helps me push through to the end. My current maintenance runs are a little bit over 4 miles using the 45 minute maintenance runs that the Galloway plan recommends.

The thing you do not want to do is overtrain or increase mileage by too much from week to week. That leads to increased risk of injury.

My last 10k plan had maintenance runs that included cadence drills and the 400 meter intervals as well as "race rehearsal" miles built in and were 45 minutes to an hour. My maintenance runs also include hills :crazy2: where the long runs are a flat running path. I think I'll keep this going instead of the flat 30 minutes and see how I feel.

In looking at the Half training plan, each long run over 7 miles is followed the next week by a long run of 3 to 4 miles. It looks to have recovery built into it so I don't think I'll be over training. If I feel tired I can always cut back a few days! I also never run the week of a race to allow myself extra recovery time.

Thank you both for the advice! I've been very lucky this past year with no injuries except a rolled ankle from stepping on a pinecone and hope to keep it that way!

Thanks. I don’t know all the details on the surgery yet, as I’ve yet to meet the surgeon. He’s in very high demand, so I’m working with my primary care doctor, who works with him at the Vikings, to get all my scans done and in place so I can cut the line with the surgeon. I’ll send you a PM with some questions and the details I do know.

Ankle surgery didn't help me but I had no option I guess.

@LSUlakes i didn't see my name for the full on Sunday if you would like to add me. My goal is finishing and having fun. That's it.

Hope you feel better.

Question (not be confused with the official QOTD): Does anyone keep a physical running journal? I am very interested in a bullet-style running journal and would like to hear your experience. What do you include in your journal? How long have you kept it?

I started a bullet journal. I'm not entirely consistent with it yet - but I did love tracking running and workouts in it. I read this article - https://www.runnersworld.com/runnin...let-journal-designs-runners-are-using/slide/2. I did something similar to the running trees. It was fun to see progress during training. I tracked what I ate before long runs, too, since I'm always curious how that helps or hurts.

Haha, you are probably right. I think I'm going to have some kind of "how far into the race can I get before Mike and Billy finish" challenge for myself. Though they are probably going to cheat and have a head start from their "fast dudes" corral.
(That HM # is a little inflated since I have secrets in my head still about that one too.)

Though is there a Chicago equivalent of stopping to ride TOT? Stop to ride the Hancock building elevator?
Ride the elevator to the top, take your drink to the ladies room to enjoy the view?

Alright 2018 resolution/goal....follow this thread more. Thanks @LSUlakes for keeping up with it, so great to see it still going as I believe you started it after the 2016 Marathon Weekend.

Late 2016 and 2017 were disappointing for me from a running perspective, but I changed/tweaked some things and over the past month I've seen some improvements. Currently I'm not registered for anything, but I'm hoping to do a race in early March and hopefully something in December.

Good luck to those running the rest of Marathon Weekend!

I started it after my first Disney marathon in 2016. Glad to have you on board!

Ankle surgery didn't help me but I had no option I guess.

@LSUlakes i didn't see my name for the full on Sunday if you would like to add me. My goal is finishing and having fun. That's it.

Hope you feel better.

Feeling better. Hope to get back to running Monday! Sorry I don’t have your name on the list! I will add when I get to a PC. Mobile makes life difficult. Best of luck tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter