The Running Thread - 2018

Question: A Garmin watch was used during the Disney half today. It measured a distance of 13.37 miles. Certainly there was less-than optimal tangents and some dodging of other runners here and there. Is an extra quarter mile typical in a Disney race? In other races that you've participated in?

Last edited:
Question: A Garmin watch was used during the Disney half today. It measured a distance of 13.37 miles. Certainly there was lass-than optimal tangents and some dodging of other runners here and there. Is an extra quarter mile typical in a Disney race? In other races that you've participated in?

I almost always have a little extra distance at races ... for me Disney races go waaaaay over because of character stops, but even without stops, I'd say the weaving around and not hitting the tangents could account for an extra 0.26 miles. Doesn't seem unusual at all.

Question: A Garmin watch was used during the Disney half today. It measured a distance of 13.37 miles. Certainly there was lass-than optimal tangents and some dodging of other runners here and there. Is an extra quarter mile typical in a Disney race? In other races that you've participated in?

Sounds pretty typical to me. I didn't stop for any characters or restrooms yesterday and had a final total of 13.31 miles. I think last year's full actually came in around 27.0 miles for me.

Very common. My Princess half was 13.38.

Happy 2018 everyone! I’ve been following along on Strava with everyone’s accomplishments with severe ‘I miss Disney races’ melancholy. Then I remembered to come check out the thread! Ha. I do miss being able to check in here every day. Stupid work responsibilities. Adulting is hard.

My goal for 2018 is to get back to a regular routine of activity. Most of 2017 I did pretty much nothing and it SHOWS. literally. That is not gonna work for 2018.

Can’t wait to read the race reports from this weekend. Can’t believe it was only 2 years ago when I was there. Seems like forever ago. Post pictures please! Ha.

Question: A Garmin watch was used during the Disney half today. It measured a distance of 13.37 miles. Certainly there was less-than optimal tangents and some dodging of other runners here and there. Is an extra quarter mile typical in a Disney race? In other races that you've participated in?

Totally. I was at 27.0 exactly for the full. My mile announcements were waaaay off by mile 15.

Missed another day of work today with this cold!!! It’s never ending. Slacking on getting this thread rolling this year.

The better late than never QOTD: Have you run any of the Disney races as part of a charity group? If so, which one and any cool perks of being part of that group?

ATTQOTD: I have not but was considering it for 2019.

The better late than never QOTD: Have you run any of the Disney races as part of a charity group? If so, which one and any cool perks of being part of that group?

I know this probably makes me sound like a terrible person, but ... I hate fundraising. I cannot ask people to donate money. When I worked for a nonprofit, I never made the fundraising calls because I just couldn't do it.
I think it's great that people do run for charity, but ... not gonna happen for me.

Missed another day of work today with this cold!!! It’s never ending. Slacking on getting this thread rolling this year.

I never have and probably won't for the same reasons @SarahDisney laid out.

ATTQOTD: Agree about not having the will to ask people for money; even for charity. I had terrible cross-sales as a bank teller. :) And some of requirements are quite lofty, at least for Disney races.

I have not and haven’t really considered it. I probably would be able to raise the money but just don’t feel I’m ready to commit to that yet.

I have not. I know that some charities offer personalized coaching and running swag. I don't think I ever will because of the fundraising requirements. Many charities have a minimum amount to be raised which is usually much greater than the race registration by itself. I know someone who ran a race for charity. When she failed to meet the fundraising amount, the charity charged her the difference between what she had raised and the required minimum.

I know this probably makes me sound like a terrible person, but ... I hate fundraising. I cannot ask people to donate money. When I worked for a nonprofit, I never made the fundraising calls because I just couldn't do it.
I think it's great that people do run for charity, but ... not gonna happen for me.
Choosing not to run for a charity does not make one a terrible person. Many people feel uncomfortable asking others for money even if it's for a wonderful cause. That doesn't make them terrible. If you love the cause of a charity, then support it in whatever way you can. That may not always mean financially. You can give of your time as well. And there are many worthy causes that need your donations that may not be able to sponsor runners in a race.

QOTD: Have you run any of the Disney races as part of a charity group? If so, which one and any cool perks of being part of that group?

This year I am running the Princess races for Autism Speaks. My 14yo son is autistic. I didn’t purchase my bibs through them so my minimum donation is $250. There are some perks, but that’s not why I’m doing it!
  • Shirt & hat or visor
  • Team dinner
  • Private pre and post race tent

ATTQOTD: For a Disney Race, no. I did for St. Jude Half Marathon in 2017 and didn't meet the goal and thus had to put up the rest of the money myself (which luckily gets to help me with taxes). I don't think I'll do it again.

I have not run for charity but have donated to many people who have. As others have stated in terrible asking for money. I always feel bad even if it’s a small Amount. My SIL ran on a charity bib for Chicago so we donated to that. We have also supported people running on charity bibs for Boston. Those are intense as usually the goal is 10k per runner.

ATTQOTD: No, and like others, I am also terrible at fundraising. I am an introvert, I hate dealing with people in real life, I cannot fundraise. :) I tried to raise $500 for for Running for Rescues last year for one of my races, and I only managed to get $350. From myself, my parents, and my boss. Maybe my SO, too, I can't remember if he donated. :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter