• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Being from Mid-Michigan we seem to have very strange weather as Spring gets closer. I have to second what @michigandergirl suggested winter always seems to say hello again in Spring until it is summer! Today it was barely 40, tomorrow it is supposed to get up into the high 60’s and by next week it will probably be snowing again.

Quick race recap from Sunday…This was my first 10 miler. I was a little nervous because it was my longest run since May, and I my longest training run going in was 7.3 miles.

Despite getting 6 inches of snow the night before the race, the roads were clear and pretty much dry by race time (late start of 10:50).

I ran the first 3 miles, and then settled into intervals. I recently switched from 4:00/0::30 to 2:30/0:30 intervals. Defying logic, the shorter interval actually made my pace faster! I think it is mostly mental (I feel like I can hold race pace for 2:30, but back off that pace when faced with a 4:00 interval).

The course was VERY hilly, but I really worked to maintain my pace on the hills. I think the shorter intervals helped with the hills too. I tried using a mantra to counter self-doubt, and it really helped - “don’t think, just run” -- and occasionally “the faster you run, the faster you are done” and “it’s painful fast or slow, so might as well get it over with faster.”

I had thrown out a goal time of 1:40. My actual time was 1:36:36. I also had a 10K PR of 59:12 per my Garmin (I’ve been trying to break 1 hr!!). I was thrilled with this time - but more so, how good I felt, and how quickly I recovered.

The race overall was great. It’s put on by a running club, and is in its 23rd year - well organized, and well supported. They had someone calling splits at each mile marker (shout out to the guy at mile marker 5 who said “great work, you are smoking!” when I ran by, and it was such a huge boost). Despite being hilly, the course went down some of my favorite streets (in the town I grew up in), and had a great view of Gillette Stadium at mile 5-6. Great medals….I won a raffle prize….and, the post race refreshments were delish (baked mac and cheese!) - just wish there was a cold beer ;-)

So, all in all, a great race! And a great confidence boost heading into my HM training!!

ATTQOTD: No changes for me as it warms up. Being in Houston, we have to adapt to the few cold days we encounter, and this year has been colder than normal. We already seem to be back to our lovely 60s and 70s temps for early morning runs.

QOTD: Which mile of a 5k race is your least favorite?

ATTQOTD: Lets be honest here, the 5k race is brutal! The first mile is my least favorite because it's usually crowded and getting into a good rhythm is hard to do with so much moving around. By the end of mile 1 though the folks who went out 1-3 minutes faster than their normal pace start to thin out and the race becomes a little better.

ATTQOTD:
The last. I run the first 2 at an even pace that allows me to go for broke on the last mile. 5Ks are a near-death experience for me. The last couple I've done, the volunteers wanted to pull me out of the finish chute and send me to the medical tent.

Looking at Athlinks, I've run 37 5Ks, including 5 in one weekend.

Last edited:

ATTQOTD: I don't do many 5Ks, but I think mile 1-2. No matter the distance I always have a mini meltdown 2 miles before finishing. I don't know why....maybe because my brain knows I'm almost done. Mile 11 on a half is always a "pleasant" experience for anyone running with me, haha.

ATTQOTD: Lets be honest here, the 5k race is brutal! The first mile is my least favorite because it's usually crowded and getting into a good rhythm is hard to do with so much moving around. By the end of mile 1 though the folks who went out 1-3 minutes faster than their normal pace start to thin out and the race becomes a little better.
I really don't like any of them but I realize 5k's are important to make me a more well-rounded runner. If I had to choose I'd probably say the first mile because I don't feel like death yet haha.

QOTD: With spring time coming up soon, how do you adjust your running to the warmer temps? How long does it take for your to adjust?
ATTQOTD: Spring's been here in FL for a few weeks already - highs near 90, but it takes all day to get there, unlike summer, when it's 90 at sunrise, lol! This is my favorite running weather: still cooling off in the 60s at night, just-right humidity, weaker sun, cool breezes... bliss! I don't think I ever adjust to the searing heat of summer. I just slow down and get through it as best I can.

ATTQOTD: Mile 1. Too many people trying to start at the front that have no intention of staying at the front. I'm not speedy, but when I'm passing tons of people that just HAD to be up front it is a problem lol.

ATTQOTD: I don’t run many 5K races so I don’t think I really have a mile I dislike. Ask me again on Monday after PHM weekend. I might have a different answer.

Interesting question. Most 5Ks I’ve “run” aren’t for speed/time so I try to enjoy it more. I would probably have to say the first mile especially if it’s cold because you aren’t warmed up yet and by the time you are you’re almost done. Mile one also usually has a lot of people since you’re with walkers so it can get crowded.

ATTQOTD: I have only run 3 5k's and 2 were at DH's pace so I didn't really dislike any mile over the others (they were all very slow). My other 5k was at Dopey and I loved the whole race. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter