The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: With spring time coming up soon, how do you adjust your running to the warmer temps? How long does it take for your to adjust?

ATTQOTD: The last few days have been around 80 here, so we are getting a early start it seems. Hopefully all the cold weather isnt gone though just yet. To adjust to warmer conditions I run more on feel than pace for a few weeks while I adjust to warmer weather running and then try to get back onto pace.

For the calendar!
April 8 theHamm - Trail to the Victors 5K (33 / N/A)

ATTQOTD: With the return of AM daylight (more important than temperature) I look forward to convincing my husband that I will be transferring my morning hair braiding duties to him so I can leave extra early and run before work. I think I will adjust to the earlier wake ups long before the rest of the fam gets into a groove of getting out the door!

QOTD: With spring time coming up soon, how do you adjust your running to the warmer temps? How long does it take for your to adjust?

There's really no adjustment required for me to move into spring. Winter running is usually a mix of cold and spring-like running as mild as the winters in NC usually are. That makes for an easy transition that consists mostly of fewer runs with long sleeves or tights. The real transition time here comes in May-June when the temp and humidity start to ramp up to summer levels. Then it becomes more an issue of planning runs to hit the cooler parts of the day and carrying water on shorter runs than I normally would during Fall-Winter-Spring.

ATTQOTD: I don't really do much special... start carrying water on longer runs maybe as it gets hotter, but that is not something we usually need to worry about in NH until late May or June.

I have some races to add @LSUlakes :) These are the only definite ones so far... a St. Patrick's Day pre pub crawl 5K, my spring HM, and then my running group's spring group is going to be a 15K in early-June rather than the 10K we usually do at the end of July. My HM is 2 weeks before the 15K, so I guess I'll be good and trained for the 15K! That is a new distance for me, woo hoo, instant PR!

March
10 - Miranda - Run Before You Crawl 5K (NG / N/A)

May
20 - Miranda - Wallis Sands Half Marathon (NG / N/A)

June
02 - Miranda - Bow Lake Dam 15K (NG / N/A)

Warmer weather means I can finally start shedding some layers and get some actual good footing on the paths, so I get to start running fast again. I am able to make the adjustment almost right away, only takes a couple of runs to be right back into it. Can't wait this year, feel like I have just been going through the motions and I'm ready to get back at it again.

Signed up for my first Spring race now, can you please add to the list when you get a chance @LSUlakes

April 29 CheapRunnerMike - Forest City Road Race Half Marathon (1:21:xx)

ATTQOTD: No adjustment needed, just less clothing. We are having a taste of spring here now, with temps in the 40's & 50's and rain on the way. My run yesterday felt amazing at 38 degrees!! Of course I know better that to get too excited because this is Michigan after all, and I'm sure snow will return next week.

I got to run in a singlet last week and it was AMAZING!! I'm pretty good at adjusting until it gets in the 80s. After that I can't really take off any more clothes so I just try to avoid the sunlight instead.

ATTQOTD: What is spring? I don't think we have that season in Alabama, we just go straight to summer. LOL. I am pretty good at adjusting quickly. The first two or three runs will be a little rough, especially depending on the time of day I go, but I just make sure I wear light clothes and hydrate as much as possible!

ATTQOTD: The last few days have been around 80 here, so we are getting a early start it seems. Hopefully all the cold weather isnt gone though just yet. To adjust to warmer conditions I run more on feel than pace for a few weeks while I adjust to warmer weather running and then try to get back onto pace.
Only adjustment is the smile on my face! And losing the layers. But it's a more gentle glide into summer here in PA.

ATTQOTD: I’ve been running really early in the morning before the sun comes up. It’s still really humid, but at least it isn’t very hot. I hydrate more which sometimes means bringing water on short runs.

So my husband asked me a strange question last night and wanted to know what you all would say. He works from home during the day and tries to run when he can. He usually caps out at a 5k (that's his long run, if you will). But he was looking up if running multiple times a day would be just as effiective. He does some 5k and 10k races with me on occasion but mostly runs to lose weight.

The question: For how long do you think you could run one mile every hour? So if he works from home for 8 hours, he is wondering if like 6 of those hours he could stop and run a mile, then get back to work. I told him I could probably run one mile every hour for at least 8-10 hours. I'd get bored probably but I don't know if I would get fatigued. But maybe all the stopping and starting would fatigue me more?

I think I would be able to do a mile per hour for 24 hours provided I was a little deeper into a training cycle and I paced myself accordingly. I did a marathon relay once that was 6 1.19 mile legs separated by 3 other runners running the same loop and I have to say at the end I was fresh. It didn't feel like I had run 7.14 miles at faster than 5K pace. I felt like I could just keep on going 1.19 miles at a time.

A very early fun Friday QOTD: (VEFFQOTD) If you had the power to bring back any past attraction, show, food item, or character, what would you choose?

Mine is more an idea than a single attraction but I would like to see Future World move back towards its original theme of edutainment. Horizons, World of Motion, Wonders of Life, an energy ride, etc. They can be modernized but I don't like removing the educational dark rides and replacing them with more thrill rides based on IP that doesn't belong in Epcot anyway.

Like many in the Northern states it isn't all that much of an adjustment. We start seeing big swings where we will be in the 60's and 20's in the same week and really other than wearing less layers it isn't much of an adjustment.

Last edited:

When it’s over 70 degrees, maintenance runs are short enough that I try to maintain my pace but I hydrate more. Long runs I just slow down, adding 30 seconds to a minute per mile to my pace.

ATTQOTD: For spring, it's mostly a matter of removing layers. When summer hits I'll have to make some adjustments to pace and/or intervals, but spring around here is usually mild enough that that's not an issue.

When I went to work last night it was 60. When I got off it was 14 and snowing. I will switch from running in the afternoon before work to running in the morning after work. And less layers.

ATTQOTD: It’s been mid 70s and humid off and on the past few weeks, so I’m starting to dive into spring/summer. I even got my first weird racer back tan lines on my back last week! It’s been really hard diving right back in, but I do like to run in humidity once I get used to it. I am thankful for it as it’s been a nice way to train for Princess so that smack of FL humidity isn’t too rough.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I won't dread going outside so much. I am a warm weather runner, so I am eager to greet the warmer temps. I run a lot on the treadmill in the winter, so no major adjustments needed for warm temps. I won't have to strategically pick a pair of gloves based on how much snot I can wipe on them. I ran 10 miles Saturday in the most craptastic snow storm while my daughter was at one of her activities. It was coming down so hard, thick wet snow. My eyes probably suffered the most. By the last 4-5 miles, sidewalks were getting slick and I had to slow down. Spring weather cannot get here fast enough.

Bring back to WDW: Electrical Parade, although I did get my fix at DL. Same for Mr. Toad and Snow White. I also miss the original Backlot Tour at MGM when it was still a functioning studio.

ATTQOTD: I actually did one of my runs this weekend during the day and it was like 75* and the sun was beating on me. I got to wear shorts and a tank top and curse body glide for once again betraying me. I wasn't prepared to run in the heat because most of my training has been done in the early morning before the sun even comes up, so I felt over heated almost immediately. I will definitely be carrying more water with me from now on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter