• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

There are talks of up to five inches here in North Carolina so naturally people are freaking!!!

ATTQOTD: My parents got me an awesome hanger for my medals but they are all currently draped on either side of my dresser. I have no real good excuse as to why I haven’t put them up. I would like to do something special with my Dopey medals and bib st some point.

Yep. Schools are already closed and they even closed work for tomorrow and announced a minimum 2 hour delay for Thursday! I'm not going to argue with another day off..

Well your local Starbucks will be open...so you could always warm up there. :upsidedow

ATTQOTD: mine are all in a drawer by my bed. I keep meaning to do something with them. But there they sit.

While the snow has made running outdoors challenging, the Snow Days have made it easier to get my GSC training runs in!

Since returning from winter break: Two Hour Delay, Full Day, Snow Day, weekend, Snow Day, 3 Full Days, Two Hour Early Release, weekend, Holiday, Two Snow Days.

It’s now sleeting really hard.

Going to full Cajun here:

Mais sha, I got dat gumbo cooking on dat stove, a cold beer, and doing da sneaux dance there me. Y’all come on over to da house cause I gots plenty for my friends yea.

For some reason when I read this, all I could think about was Troy from Swamp People. LOL.

i don’t have a hanger right now. I do want to get one at some point. But we currently live in a very small apartment as we look/save for a house so I’ll probably wait till we move and have more room.

Another treadmill run tomorrow as we are slated to get at least 3 inches of snow. I already told I could work remotely tomorrow. Since December 21, I have only worked 7 days between snow and holiday break. Certainly not complaining.

QOTD: What do you do with your race medals? Do they go on the wall, a desk drawer, shadow box? Do you get the engraved or do anything else special with them?

I’ve got a wall in the hidden stairwell to my bedroom that has my medals, bibs and race hats ... I also hang silly things from races that are important to me (like Mickey ears, or my Pom-Poms from DLH 10K, etc).

The far-right hanger (behind the ears and Ragnar hat) has all of my bibs in a flip book ... also, all of my “challenge” medals - C2C, Cowtown Challenge, Wine Down Relat, Ragnar.

The top hanger (black, powder-coated) is my Dopey hanger that @FFigawi gave me when I finished my first Dopey! Underneath that is a three-tier hanger from Allied Medal. Not pictured is my Tri hanger, but that’s above my bib holder and closer to my column of hats.

F6BC325B-1244-4166-9164-194C9FC768DB.jpeg

C2092419-D342-4708-A38C-FC1C0FB8ED20.jpeg

I'll be traveling to southern Louisiana next week. Anyone have tips on places to run? I'm not sure my exact whereabouts yet.

If NOLA @roxymama advice is solid choice. I wouldnt try to run in the actual quarter alone. If you are in Baton Rouge, "lakes" near LSU's campus are the way to go. Easy options with loops of 4, 5, and 6 miles. The place to park is a park called Milford Wampold Memorial Park aka Baton Rouge Beach. Plenty of parking and restrooms and water. From there you would run clockwise keeping the lakes to your right the whole time for the 4 mile route. You will have a water view nearly the whole run. The route has you running along sorority row and beautiful homes. If you wanted to, you can run into campus and check out Mike the Tiger, Tiger Stadium, the P-MAC, Indian Mounds, Bell Tower ect which would add about a mile or so to the 4 mile loop. Send me a PM if you are heading to Baton Rouge, and I can get your more specific instructions with turn by turn directions and/or a map of one of my runs.

Depending on where you are staying and how far you need to run, I’ve got a couple of routes to share - I’ve got a 3-Mile loop I run when I stay at the JW on Canal, and a neighborhood loop I run in the Garden District. The Canal Loop is safe and can easily stretch, or doesn’t get boring until about 9 miles. The Garden District can get up to about 5 in a single loop, but the sidewalks in the neighborhood are treacherous and i wouldn’t recommend running in the street when it’s dark.

I have a medal rack that sat around for nearly 2 years before I asked dh to hang it up for me (I can't hang anything straight). It has the medals from the past few years. I never thought to hang/display in the earlier days and they seem to be scattered everywhere! I think some ended up in my kids' collections. Current year medals hang from the knob of a kitchen cabinet. I just took 2017 medals and added them to the rack. Boston medals get to go on the Boston poster. My kids all have medal racks--most are for races, but some are school/activity awards.

This was taken earlier last year before the 2017 ones got added.

IMG_0346.JPG IMG_0343.JPG

Just to add on if you do run around Audobon Park in nola, right across St. Charles Ave from the park is Tulane University (GO GREEN WAVE!) and it's a pretty place to check out as well. It's nowhere near as big as LSU so it doesn't take long to do a lap of at least the big quad right in the front. Just a plug for my old stomping grounds.

I went to Tulane, too! Well, for law school, but it still counts. Would echo advice to run in the park loop in New Orleans.

SNEAUX update day 2:
We got very little sneaux yesterday, but a lot of sleet. It was 25 degrees and just wouldn’t snow :( The roads are iced over from the freezing rain and sleet and DW had to go to work. Technically I have work today but since schools are closed and DW is a nurse, she went to work. She made it safely, but said some parts of the trip were intense. DD is also running a fever, so it’s going to be a full day of Disney movies. Her first request is to watch the “Splash Mountain” movie.

QOTD: Do you run on icy roads?

ATTQOTD: I almost slipped walking on my driveway, no way I would attempt a run in this. SNEAUX is a much better surface for running.

Edit for auto correct spelling error lol. Friday is icee Friday for DD and apparently DW and I text that word often.

Last edited:
QOTD: Do you run on icee roads?

Yes and no. Depends how icy. If it's a combination of icy and slushy, then I run in the slushy and just cross the ice super carefully. If there's a lot of ice and no clear non-ice running surface, I treadmill.

I don't think we've gotten sneaux yet, just rain. The rain was enough to get me on the treadmill, though, because Wednesday. I think we're expecting a wintry mix, but nothing sticking. Hopefully I'll be okay to run outside tomorrow.

SNEAUX update day 2:
We got very little sneaux yesterday, but a lot of sleet. It was 25 degrees and just wouldn’t snow :( The roads are iced over from the freezing rain and sleet and DW had to go to work. Technically I have work today but since schools are closed and DW is a nurse, she went to work. She made it safely, but said some parts of the trip were intense. DD is also running a fever, so it’s going to be a full day of Disney movies. Her first request is to watch the “Splash Mountain” movie.

ATTQOTD: I almost slipped walking on my driveway, no way I would attempt a run in this. SNEAUX is a much better surface for running.

Ice? Not normally, no. Not since I lived in Russia.

I don’t have a metal hanger, they just live in a box in my closet with bibs. Probably should do something with them!

I do run on ice, but using traction things on my shoes. I try for the treated non-icy streets, and aim for the grassy/snowy grass
Alongside sidewalks if I can’t run in the street. If it’s a sheet of ice though, even traction aids wont really help!

We are getting ~6inches today and schools are open on time! Which is good , because we got home with WDW last night and DH and I both have the flu.

Nope, even though I have a decent sense of balance and I am good at staying upright most of the time, I am just not cut out for running on ice, it is an injury waiting to happen for me... I stick to the treadmill on icy days.

QOTD: What do you do with your race medals? Do they go on the wall, a desk drawer, shadow box? Do you get the engraved or do anything else special with them?

My full and half medals along with any challenge medals for multiple races go in shadow boxes and I also have a stand that I hang other medals on. The shorter race finisher medals or the age group medals kind of just hang our for now. I have maybe 100 and no good place to put them that doesn't take up too much room. I had been placing them in much smaller deep frame boxes but until we get a bigger house with a bigger basement they won't get hung up.

It is rare that our roads are just icee. Usually either there is a bit of snow as well or the salt has done it's job. As long as there is some snow for the shoes to grip I'll run. We have had a snowier winter this year that we have in a while so I'm enjoying running in the snow. They key is to shorten your stride a bit and go around corners slower and without leaning in. Going to try and hit the trails this weekend as long as they stay frozen and don't turn into 35 degree mud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter