The Running Thread - 2018

I almost feel like it would be easier to record the time I wasn't running this month.
112 miles I think, which is a lot for me.

And me every Sunday so far...

faster.jpg

That’s what I tell myself when I see some of my neighbors running...and passing me.

What workouts are you using for your cycling? Any resistance or power intervals? Simulated climbing or anything like that?

Nothing really. The first week of cycling was meant as a recovery run week anyways. So I treated the cycling the same with low/moderate effort and focused on duration. At that point the goal was just to recover from the race and be ready to run the next week.

This week was meant to restart the running. But that was short lived. So since Wednesday was suppose to be a 20 mile run it became a 130 min bike instead (stuck with a similar duration). Decided to go low/moderate effort. Breathing and sweat rate became very noticeable in the second half as that was my longest ride to date. Yesterday as a recovery bike. Today I earmarked myself for 90 min and see what happens. But if this bike thing is going to be something that is going to be sticking around for a while then I'll need to figure out a more regimented routine. I'll have to figure out an electrical cord situation or something for Zwift. So thus far I've been doing nothing specific.

I heartily endorse any and all soccer (real football!) discussion! Got a favorite in the Premier? I'm neutral (so far), but Liverpool's run in the Champion's League this year was fun to follow. Wouldn't mind seeing them do well in the EPL this season. So far, so good, but it's early!

Liverpool is my team because my wife's family is from the other side of the Mersey. I think City is going to win again with Liverpool, Chelsea, and Spurs rounding out the top four. Man U is going to struggle until Mourinho resigns or is fired.

I almost feel like it would be easier to record the time I wasn't running this month.
112 miles I think, which is a lot for me.

And me every Sunday so far...

faster.jpg

I have similar thoughts... sometimes I wish I could put a display on my back of "miles I've run so far today" so all those people passing me would know. :) I was thinking that especially in my marathon training last summer when I'd start at 6am and then suddenly hordes of people would materialize at about 8:30am and look so perky!

Nothing really. The first week of cycling was meant as a recovery run week anyways. So I treated the cycling the same with low/moderate effort and focused on duration. At that point the goal was just to recover from the race and be ready to run the next week.

This week was meant to restart the running. But that was short lived. So since Wednesday was suppose to be a 20 mile run it became a 130 min bike instead (stuck with a similar duration). Decided to go low/moderate effort. Breathing and sweat rate became very noticeable in the second half as that was my longest ride to date. Yesterday as a recovery bike. Today I earmarked myself for 90 min and see what happens. But if this bike thing is going to be something that is going to be sticking around for a while then I'll need to figure out a more regimented routine. I'll have to figure out an electrical cord situation or something for Zwift. So thus far I've been doing nothing specific.

I don’t Zwift - I use TrainerRoad instead because of actual plan interface. But if you’re going to use cycling workouts to keep fitness level, you’ll need to look into more power-based workouts to help build cumulative fatigue. I like Matt Fitzgerald’s cycle portion of triathlon plans - in theory, you should be able to use the cycling workout as a run substitution since the distances across disciplines are supposed to be relatively equal. Before I got hurt, my coach had no problem with me subbing a trainer road focused on power load and climbing in exchange for a run.

My silly issue isn't someone passing while I'm running as much as getting passed or meeting up with runners on the trail going the other way while in in my walk interval. I know it shouldn't concern me in the least, but I almost want to shout, "hey, I'm only walking for 30 seconds and then I'll be back running at your speed!"

Arsenal! All the free flowing attacking of Liverpool and Man City without any of that annoying defensive stability at the back. Plus they're a team in transition to a new manager this year after spending 21 years under their previous manager. What could possibly go wrong! COYG!

They do have a cool crest. . .

I don't know anything really about soccer, I mean I know the rules because I'm an expert who played from ages 8-10. ;) But the Red Sox owner owns Liverpool, too, so I guess I'm kind of a Liverpool fan? :)

Liverpool is my team because my wife's family is from the other side of the Mersey. I think City is going to win again with Liverpool, Chelsea, and Spurs rounding out the top four. Man U is going to struggle until Mourinho resigns or is fired.

Liverpool are fun to watch, esp. with Salah having such a great season. If the transfer rumors had been true and they'd gotten Christian Pulisic, I'd have jumped on their bandwagon. Still, I'd like to see them contend if just to add a little drama to the EPL. The EPL seems to be the one major European league with the most actual contenders in the title chase, like Leicester's amazing run in 2016. Seeing a dark horse have a season like that makes it fun, unlike some of the other leagues. (Looking at you scornfully, Bundesliga and Ligue 1). As for Mourinho, yeah, I doubt he finishes out the year. He's already getting testy with the press, and it's not even Sept. yet!

August mileage: 192 miles. And a hamstring strain. D'oh! Time for some rest.

August Training Summary
Running duration = 19:25 hours
Running mileage = 142.5 miles
Average Pace = 8:11 min/mile (Marathon Pace + 83 seconds)
Average HR = 136 bpm (69% HRR, or about 10% lower than Marathon Pace)
Indoor Cycling duration = 11:49 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 259.3 miles
Average mph = 22.0 mph
Total training duration = 31:14 hours

*I have no way to know whether that indoor cycling data is accurate as it comes from a computer attached to the bike trainer. Can't use Zwift right now in my in-laws basement because of limited outlets in their unfinished basement.

Unfortunately started having an ankle issue on 8/7/18. It mostly resolved in advance of my HM on 8/18. But by mile 4/5 of the race it became noticeable again, and through a myriad of possible explanations I didn't achieve my goal of a sub-90 HM. But I settled on the idea that the race served as practice and achieved that goal. On that Tuesday (8/21), I attempted my first run back and things didn't feel right. So I moved to indoor cycling for the short term. Gave it a week and ran again the next week (8/28). Ankle felt fine, but instead I was now dealing with minimal shin splints. Tried running again on Wednesday (8/29) and it was an instant more intense pain in my shin. So I moved to another week of biking. The ankle isn't feeling great again on Thurs/Fri. Really don't enjoy the indoor cycling as much, but I'm trying my best to salvage the fitness gains ahead of the Chicago Marathon. Although, if I can't get back out there running again soon, then Chicago may not happen (but I'm looking long term, so it is what it is). My wife thinks it's all mental as I'm letting the idea of a sub-3 get to me. Although in my mind, I'd MUCH rather be running than biking regardless of race day goals. Got an appointment with a doctor next week, but I fear I already know the diagnosis. I have the opportunity to defer my entry to 2019 up until mid-September (although I don't want to do that).

What do you think the diagnosis is? Where is the pain?

Weekend plans - it's fathers day Sunday in my part of the world so looking forward to breakfast in bed. Then my Dad is coming over and we are going to prune tree, which will require a trip to the hardware store:cool1:

I had a long run planned for Sunday bu t brought that forward to Saturday - smashed out 30km as part of my marathon training.

August totals - a record running month for me, and some really good training:
Distance 243km/151mi
Pace 5:09m km/8:17m mi
Avg HR 149bpm
Stravistix fitness score +7 (33.3 1st Aug, 40.3 31st Aug)

My silly issue isn't someone passing while I'm running as much as getting passed or meeting up with runners on the trail going the other way while in in my walk interval. I know it shouldn't concern me in the least, but I almost want to shout, "hey, I'm only walking for 30 seconds and then I'll be back running at your speed!"
^^^This! Especially if I'm covered in sweat and walking. When I see the high school track team heading towards me though I run until they all pass me. I don't know why.

August total:

65 miles

Side note: I was sharing with my husband the number of miles others ran this month (in my amazement) and he asks how many I ran. I meekly answered and he gives me a look. Then he says " That's a lot!" And he's right. When I started this journey a few years ago, my goal was to run 1 mile without stopping. Then my goal was to run a 5k without stopping. My plan was to stick to 3 miles being my longest run. Now here I am training for a half marathon! I should be proud of me and I am proud of me. DH is also proud of me :lovestruc. All is well!

Have been getting some lovely runs in this week along the coast in SoCal! Had an epic Disneyland day as well! We didn’t quite make it opening to closing, but it was pretty close (and a half marathon walked over 12 hours of park hopping)! :)

August Run Total: 43 easy miles (up from 30 in July, so yay!)
Still cycling and swimming, working my way back after injury, and optimistic about starting a half marathon training plan in about 2 weeks! Have a great weekend all!

August total:

65 miles

Side note: I was sharing with my husband the number of miles others ran this month (in my amazement) and he asks how many I ran. I meekly answered and he gives me a look. Then he says " That's a lot!" And he's right. When I started this journey a few years ago, my goal was to run 1 mile without stopping. Then my goal was to run a 5k without stopping. My plan was to stick to 3 miles being my longest run. Now here I am training for a half marathon! I should be proud of me and I am proud of me. DH is also proud of me :lovestruc. All is well!

65 miles is a lot!!! This is my first journey into crazy numbers and I'm already excited for my post race break. Be proud!!
Ps I really like half marathons

I haven't posted a monthly summary before. This month I used a commitment to post as a motivation to stay on plan.

So here goes:

Total Miles: 175.07
Avg Heartrate: 140
Avg pace: 10.24

The pace is a bit slower than expected. My first marathon is scheduled for 9/15 and the target pace is 9:45. I have doubts about that, especially if it is warm. Heat exacts a heavy pace toll for me.

A goal: 4:30
B goal: 5:00
C goal: finish

I don’t Zwift - I use TrainerRoad instead because of actual plan interface. But if you’re going to use cycling workouts to keep fitness level, you’ll need to look into more power-based workouts to help build cumulative fatigue. I like Matt Fitzgerald’s cycle portion of triathlon plans - in theory, you should be able to use the cycling workout as a run substitution since the distances across disciplines are supposed to be relatively equal. Before I got hurt, my coach had no problem with me subbing a trainer road focused on power load and climbing in exchange for a run.

Thanks for the tip. I can't view any of the TrainerRoad workouts/plans at the moment. Do you find them to be a better choice then the Zwift ones (which you can view here - link)? I'll defer to your experience. It looks like my speed/cadence sensor and cheap trainer would be supported by the Virtual capability. But if I'm going to be doing this more often, then it might be time to invest in something. Although my wife wants to get a Peloton bike when the house is finished (and me possibly the Peloton Tread). Thanks for the help.

What do you think the diagnosis is? Where is the pain?

Uneducated guess would be an ankle stress fracture. But I'm struggling to find any pain to touch and I've only failed the jump test once. So I'm not entirely sure. It started just above the ball of my ankle. It has since moved about 1-2 inch above that area. But the shin splint pain on Tues/Wed was about 2-3 inch below the knee (on the same inner side of the leg).

Happy Birthday @huskies90
Best wishes for healthy running for a long time!

August totals
Distance: 86km (53 miles)
Average pace: 6m38s/km (10m37s/miles)

I am ok with it although I feel underprepared for my Half in 23 days.
It was not so much the three weeks trip but the face plant in which I hurted my knee... I am glad I rested, it is fine now.

Uneducated guess would be an ankle stress fracture. But I'm struggling to find any pain to touch and I've only failed the jump test once. So I'm not entirely sure. It started just above the ball of my ankle. It has since moved about 1-2 inch above that area. But the shin splint pain on Tues/Wed was about 2-3 inch below the knee (on the same inner side of the leg).

The shin pain you’re describing sounds a lot like what I dealt with at the beginning of the year. Mine turned out to be an unhappy posterior tibialis muscle. I wonder if unconsciously favoring the ankle might have aggravated your muscle there. The orthopedist was useless in diagnosing it, thinking stress fracture because nothing showed up on X-ray. When nothing showed up on MRI, either, he threw up his hands and said “unknown soft tissue inflammation”. I had to get a PT involved to get a good diagnosis. Dry needling and some slight shoe modifications have at least prevented recurrence for me, thus far.

I know that doesn’t help with the ankle issue that seems to be at the root of all the issues, but it may be something to keep in mind for the shin splint component.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter